deerslayer 12-Oct-17
orionsbrother 12-Oct-17
cnelk 12-Oct-17
Scoot 12-Oct-17
Chainsaw 12-Oct-17
Chainsaw 12-Oct-17
Mad_Angler 12-Oct-17
01-Oct-17
What's the best lightweight sleeping pad?

For the past few years I've been using a Big Agnes insulated air core. It got a leak recently.

Recently I've been looking at getting something different was curious if there is anything better. I've heard good things about the thermarest neoair xtherm.

01-Oct-17
Running two that I like right now, the nemo tensor and Xtherm.... I have gone through a half a dozen othe road in the last few years and these are what I have settled on and working best for me. I am mostly a side sleeper or stomach sleeper and these hold me well enough with good comfort. They both are insulted and been durable.

01-Oct-17
Our group in Fort Collins was together yesterday for beers and this actually came up. Paul @ the Fort and cnelk have BA pads. I would look at thermarest on the high end and klymit on the low end. I've been surprisingly pleased with my $50 static v pad the last few years.

01-Oct-17
I love my Neoair. It is super light and compact....and I sleep like a baby! I looked at reviews prior to buying it and the only negative reviews I found were that it was somewhat noisy. The noise hasn't really bothered me at all. Mine is around 7 years old and they may have fixed the noise problem with the newer models. I used it a few years ago on a Wyo elk hunt while truck camping in single degree temps and never was cold.

01-Oct-17
Bought a Klymit static v. Love it. It was highest rated by most backpacking sites

01-Oct-17
The Big Agnes Q Core SL has worked well for me.

01-Oct-17
Like Native Oakie mentioned, I just sent 2 of my BA Insulated Air core in for warranty [leaks around the valve]

Cost me $14 S?H and I know for sure I wont be spending ANY more $$$ on them.

Nothing worse having a pad not work correctly when out on a hunt

01-Oct-17
Klymit, insulated Static V, much more comfortable than the leaky B A insulated air core it replaced.

01-Oct-17
Same as cnelk stated. Two years ago I contacted Big Ag as my pad was leaking (after 4 years of use) I sent it back and they replaced it free with an upgrade. I used it last year for the first time, maybe 20 nights on it, and then this years, 10 nights before the replacement started leaking. I had to blow it up every evening and it was nearly flat in the am. I have just contacted them for a replacement of the replacement. The service person stated they have just upgraded the materials and the valve system. We shall see. Paul

01-Oct-17
There seems to be quite a bit of interest out there in pads...so here you go: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-sleeping-pad https://www.switchbacktravel.com/best-backpacking-sleeping-pads http://www.cleverhiker.com/best-sleeping-pads

The same pads were ranked on top on each!

01-Oct-17
I have been using a foam pad. I just bought a Klymit v insulated air pad and used it this weekend for a quick hunting trip. I woke up this morning to a crisp 26 degrees. I slept like a warm baby. First time ever using it and if there is better, I can't imagine how. I really like this thing. A lot. Wish I had done it sooner. God Bless

01-Oct-17
Seems to be a common theme with the big Agnes and leaking.

Jims- thanks. Appears the thermarest one I wanted scores at the top everytime

01-Oct-17
Big Agnes leak, guaranteed.

01-Oct-17
My BA's got leaks and unfortunately they were small enough I was not able to find it in a tub test.

Some version of the Neoair is what I use now. I did get a small leak in one of the originals recently though but it lasted longer than the BA's I have had.

01-Oct-17
I like my 5 year old NeoAir pad. Sleeps great and packs down to nothing. It is a little "crinkly" but that has never bothered me as bag muffles it while I'm sleeping.

01-Oct-17
Neoair for me.

01-Oct-17
I have a Klymit that works well and I am a restless sleeper and over 200lbs

01-Oct-17
Had a guy that posted above.....=D.... pointed me to a Neo.... while my old Big Aggie slowly eased me down to the ground each night..... In all fairness Aggie was probably 6+ years old. Have the xtherm now a couple years and very comfy and warm. Don't mind the crinkly at all as I'm pretty much done as soon as my head hits the pad.......

02-Oct-17
Love Klymit Interia X - the lime green one. Super light & compact and very comfortable for me both on my back and on my side.

I should add that I have also used Therm Neoair, which is very good, but I sleep every bit as comfortably on the Klymit and it is way lighter and packs smaller.

02-Oct-17
Like my NeoAir

02-Oct-17
I have used BA but prefer the Exped Synmat.

I use the Exped Synmat Hyperlite Large Wide (HL LW). Together with the pillow and schnozzel bag the whole thing weighs about 1 lb - 5 oz. Very comfortable mat and the schnozzel bag means that you can fill it in less than a minute - without being out of breath.

Also, use silicone caulk to put little dots on the bottom of your pad so that it won't slide around when you're sleeping on a slope.

There are a lot of areas where I will trim weight but the sleeping pad is not a good area for compromise.

02-Oct-17

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Yesterday I filled a claim with Big Agnes concerning a deflating sleeping mat. This mat was the replacement for the first mat that I had leaking issues with. Did not have to sent this mat back. Only had to print on the mat, the case number, today's date and then email them the picture of that mat. Their new Ultra mat will be in the mail shortly. They claim of a new fabric , a new valve system, and all in all, 25% stronger. Time will tell.

03-Oct-17
Not an pad, but I use a hammock with bug netting, and an under quilt and top quilt. I literally sleep like a baby in the fact that I am so comfortable. Weighs less than a pound or two.

03-Oct-17
I spent 19 night on my nemo tensor insulated pad last month. Temps from 60s down to the teens. Really performed well. I have no experience with any other brand but I consider my nemo a keeper.

03-Oct-17
A hammock would never work for me. A lot of my camps are above timberline or in places that there aren't trees to hang from.

I'm Going with the therma rest xtherm.

05-Oct-17
My BA Qcore failed on the first [test ] inflate at my house then it took 6 months to get a replacement. I have heard of 20 plus Qcores that leak...fairly typical.

EDIT; After that, I started looking hard at the Big Agnes tents, bags etc- its the epitome of cheap Chinese manufacturing...buyer beware!

Though any of these can have problems the Expeds have less than their share and mine have been bulletproof.

05-Oct-17
I had a BAIC and it leaked. I tried fixing it but I could never find all of the leaks. Sent it in for repair. They sent me a replacement. (Newer model) with different valve system. Worked great for 20+ days this fall.

But if I were buying new, I am unsure if I would purchase BA.

05-Oct-17
Wife and I have used Thermarests for years. I think mine is 20 years old. Ive never used it hunting... just on backpacking trips.

06-Oct-17

SoDakSooner's embedded Photo
SoDakSooner's embedded Photo
I had 3 nights on my Klymit static v2. Slept really well. I side sleep about half the time and it held up really well. Had to put just a bit more air in it the 3rd night, but we went back to basecamp the night before to refuel(had only planned to be out 2 nights max.) My only complaint is that when on my back the edges hit me right in the armpits. Wish it were about 6" wider. However, the small pack size and light weight made up for it.

12-Oct-17
If weight wasn't a concern what would everyone use? I'm gonna camp in an enclosed trailer but I need a good comfortable cot pad. Thanks in advance!

12-Oct-17
I have the BA Q core, but mainly use the BA Hinman. Never had a problem with it leaking. It's a foam/inflatable combo pad. Absolutely love it!

12-Oct-17
Chainsaw - If packed size and weight don't matter, look at the Thermarest Base Camp Luxury Mat.

I bought one for the wife for when we are car camping, staying at friends' places. She had complained about desiring a higher level of comfort.

The princess no longer feels any peas.

It's pretty dang luxurious... but its "packed size" is bigger than any of my tents other than the canvas Kodiak.

12-Oct-17
Update on the the 2 BA pads I sent in for leaks.

They are under warranty and BA will be replacing them with the updated version 'Insulated Air Core Ultra'

Anyone use/have these?

12-Oct-17
Chainsaw, I've tried a bunch of them and I would definitely get a 2-4" thick memory foam pad. Far more comfortable for me than any blow up mattress.

12-Oct-17
From where Scoot? Like one from Wal Mart or Target or wherever?

12-Oct-17
From where Scoot? Like one from Wal Mart or Target or wherever?

12-Oct-17
Try the Exped Synmat. I have a lot of mats and it is the most comfortable BY FAR.

• Sitka Gear