AwHunt73 06-Oct-17
BOWNBIRDHNTR 06-Oct-17
Sage Buffalo 06-Oct-17
drycreek 06-Oct-17
Bones 06-Oct-17
canepole 06-Oct-17
drycreek 06-Oct-17
06-Oct-17
This thread was inspired by Paul's recent chronicle of his solo elk hunt...in that, he talks about all of the "what if" moments, which got me thinking about some of mine. After my first archery elk hunt in Colorado, which ended a few weeks ago, there is one that I replay in my head every single day. I'd love to hear some of your "what if" moments that left impressions like that...specifically those real heart pounders where the difference between being able to take a shot on an animal, or not, was a matter of a few steps left or right, wind not swirling at the last second, the animal taking one more step to expose vitals, etc.

I'll start it off with mine, where there were a couple of "what if" moments that might've meant the difference between me being able to release an arrow, and not.

I had just snuck into 50 yards of a bull that responded to my locating bugle. I didn't know exactly where he was until I hit that roughy 50 yard mark and heard him raking a tree just beyond a few small pines directly in front of me...I could barely see him through those trees, but could tell he was facing me, and that he was big. If he stopped raking and went to my right, he'd go slightly downhill and cross through several lanes between 20 and 30 yards...goes to my left, and I'd have one lane as soon as he turned broadside, before he'd hit some thick brush beyond that one opening. If I move to my left to give me that one lane, the lanes to my right would disappear...if I stay put, the lane in the left is not an option, but the ones on the right still are, and means I don't have to move and potentially spook him...if I step to my right, the one lane on the left disappears...what to do? Being a rookie, my one big unknown was how much movement I could get away with while he was raking, since he was raking while facing me directly, and would rake for a couple seconds and look up...he was expecting another bull in the vicinity given my bugling sequence leading to that point.

I stayed put, hoping he would go to my right. He went left, and 5 yards quartering away uphill and moving away from me...I bugled to try to turn him back down to me...what if I popped to the left while he took those few steps away from me? The bugle turned him back down toward me and raking another tree, still at roughly 50 yards. I waited him out again, and figured it was a better approach not to spook him, and give myself a chance to hunt him another day(this was only day 2 of the hunt). Now he turned to my right and headed down for the various lanes I had there...heart pounding, I draw my bow and wait for him to get to where I need him. He hits the last tree I would've needed him to pass, and he turns directly away from me, behind the tree, and continues away at a slow pace, but never looking back...I let out a sequence of cow calls/bugles, which got one final response from him, but not enough to get him back in...what if he had taken two more steps?

What makes all of the "what if" moments tougher is that, not realizing it in the moment, is that the forecast changed and weather would force me down off that mountain to ensure I didn't get my rental truck stuck 9 miles in on a sketchy road...what if I had been more aggressive in that first encounter?

This is replayed in my head every day.

06-Oct-17
You would have killed it

06-Oct-17
This year on the mountain top here in north Idaho my partner and had found a bull that was firing off on his own and coming towards us. Holy s%$t we say since I was the only one with a tag so we prepare for where we think he will come through. Little did we know, he had 8-9 cows with him and was not coming where we thought he would but walked right down the trail we just came up. Did I mention that the lanes he walked through were just behind a row of squat pines and 15 yards away (continuous bugling basically in my face). What if I had chosen to set up where we ducked in? What if I had actually seen him?

06-Oct-17

BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
Read my thread "First Coues Deer hunt". I have the image of that buck burned into my memory....but that's hunting and someday I'll chase them again!

06-Oct-17
"What ifs" can sometimes be more memorable than "it happened". Sometimes.

06-Oct-17
I've had a few of those what if moments. The biggest buck I ever killed turned to walk out of my sight thirty seconds after I first saw him. Then, he turned around and walked back into my window, when I drew he must have heard something, because he stopped and looked straight at my brushed-in pop up blind. At 16 yards, even I couldn't miss. But what if he had kept on going. I was hunting on a place that I'd never hunted on, by invitation, and likely would have never seen him again. Severe thunderstorms had kept us from hunting the first two days and we only had a day and a morning left to hunt. You gotta love it when a piss poor plan pays off !

Another: Last year we went antelope hunting in Wyoming. Bad weather kept us out of the field for most of two days and the rain kept the goats off of the water. The last morning, I got in my pop up that I had set the night before. The nicest goat on that end of the ranch came in about 9:30. When I wallowed my bow off its holder, (due to shoulder pain I couldn't lift it straight up), he must have seen or heard me. I had the mesh off the windows of my Matrix 360 blind and he was close. What if my shoulder wasn't bad ? What if I had elected to shoot through the mesh ? We will never know, but y'all know what I'd like to think don't you ? :-)

06-Oct-17

Bones's embedded Photo
Bones's embedded Photo
What if I would have sat in my stand on the ridge last year, instead of hunting in my ghillie suit on the ground in the valley. As the rut neared I knew that I wanted to hunt the edges of the property until I had a full day to sit in my favorite Shag Bark Hickory tree on the ridge. So on November 11th last year I elected to quickly hunt in the valley below the stand as I had to get to work by noon. I had alot of action!! A nice 4x3 chased a doe in front of me, and a 4x4 (a shooter in my book) that held back to 40 yards. It was a great hunt!! I literally watched the 4x3 take a nap in the sunshine 20 yards from me. Hunting from the ground was awesome! I felt like it was a successful hunt! AND THEN.. I pulled the card from the camera at the Hickory stand.. And he walked out of my life forever.. Ghost.. never saw him again..

06-Oct-17

canepole's embedded Photo
canepole's embedded Photo
Oh never mind!

06-Oct-17
canepole, a heart attack, that's what ! :-)

• Sitka Gear