BigOzzie 10-Oct-17
Adam B 10-Oct-17
Rut Nut 10-Oct-17
Marc W. 10-Oct-17
Bowfreak 10-Oct-17
07-Oct-17
I put mothballs in ours to keep out pests

07-Oct-17
Lead works pretty good. that is about the only thing I know.

07-Oct-17
Lime inside the pool kills the smell and keeps critters somewhat away

07-Oct-17
Mountain House chili Mac?

I think it’s the glue in the plywood they’re attracted to. The squirrels here will do the same thing. It won’t help with your current situation, but if you redo it in the future, it might help to use dimensional lumber instead of plywood. I’ve used plywood for a seat in a tree stand and they eat it up in a year or two. Went to using a piece of 2x10 board and they don’t touch it hardly.

07-Oct-17
Go buy 3-4 bottles of habenero sauce at store, and some foam disposable paint brushes.

Pour all liquid in a large bowl. Add a bit of water (or vinegar), if too thick, and "paint" it on all wood surface you want to keep them from chewing.

Don't get it on the toilet seat. Lol

Wear gloves and a mask, t will be potent.

Once it dries you won't smell it any more, but they will and one bite will send them on their way.

07-Oct-17
trap them

07-Oct-17
Remedy above is for inside, if outside chewing - smear area with black axel grease.

07-Oct-17
I had the same exact problem with my camp in VT. Just staple up a layer of tar paper, that works. Its easy, cheap, and doesn't look terrible.

07-Oct-17
Very sad indeed. We've experienced the same dilemma but blame Lias Restaurant in town. Super duper attractant. Resistance over the long haul is futile as we've found the local mice develop a genetic resistance to poison. Perhaps time to "move on" to the Midwest where mice are genetically weaker.

07-Oct-17
Use to have a camp in amongst 7 other camps. One camp in the middle on the steep hillside wasn't used. Along came these party animals that inherited it. Was humorous watching them fix it up with little talent and generally wasted.

Come Labor day weekend they brought some inherited guns along and had decided to hunt come deer season. They came around and asked where they could shoot at. One of the guys jokingly said put a target on the outhouse just make sure no one's using it. They thought that was a really good idea and thanked him. I couldn't tell you how many rounds they put into it but they did put the floods lights on after dark to keep shooting. Well come morning the only thing left was the sitting area. They had to hang a blanket up for the ladies to use it.

It's hard to change the mindset of a porcupine with out lead.

07-Oct-17
I would almost guarantee that is porcupine damage. They can clean all of the "material" out if given enough time. Just take a peek before you sit down.

07-Oct-17
Foot hold traps.

07-Oct-17
We nailed up some aluminum flashing to cover all of the exposed wood and then painted the flashing.

Bullets work too.

07-Oct-17
Pat I had the same problem at my u.p. camp. I found over time that anything I built with plywood would get destroyed. But they never touched stuff like osb or lp smasrtside products.

07-Oct-17
They say porkys like salt. Put some on their tails and they will go around in circles until they get dizzy and.............

Well, maybe not......

07-Oct-17
Sheet metal is your friend. Just watch out for sharp edges! And remember it's cold on exposed flesh.

07-Oct-17
You mean sh@t metal I think

07-Oct-17
" - smear area with black axel grease."

LMAO! Oh, THAT would look real inviting in that setting!!!!!

07-Oct-17
Golden Malrin

07-Oct-17
Nothing like a quill in the butt.hang a sears and roebuck catalog in there.they will read it and not chew on the wood,lol

07-Oct-17
On a side note....how does that plastic seat feel on a cold New England night? Styrofoam is the only way to go!

07-Oct-17
Try painting it.

07-Oct-17
Paper the inside with photos of Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters and Hill. Nothing will bother it after that.

07-Oct-17
We had a two holer growing up with a pinching seat.used to catch mom in there and poke her butt with a stick.always seen dad in the morning dark door open and lucky strike glowing.good memories.but thankful for indoor plumbing.

07-Oct-17
Jaq: You forgot Rosie O'Donnell!!!!

07-Oct-17
Go to the grocery store and pick up couple bottles of ammonia, spay it all around the area. I use it for skunks and it works great.

07-Oct-17
Crap. Pat, that stinks. They should stick to eating logs. Sure wont be a gas to fix that damage. At least the guys here have given you 1 or 2 ideas! (Sorry, had to go there)

07-Oct-17
Charlie that wasn't nice

and Pat If you're only down there 3-4x's a year...do you really need an outhouse? Dig a hole...that thing's a bio-nuclear nightmare

07-Oct-17
Somewhat relieved....... I thought this was gonna be another sheep thread......

08-Oct-17
I remember someone kept the back to the pit open so they could access their recycled meal. Might try that.

08-Oct-17
Aluminum, concrete or let the floors go open. This happens in NW WI all the time all the outhouses are concrete the ones that are not you can see everyone's feet as the wood only starts at a level higher than the porcies can reach. Also lets you know if its occupied.

08-Oct-17
Maybe shut the door?

08-Oct-17
Cinder block ...if theres a nuclear blast the people on the outside will be safe..lol

08-Oct-17
I bought a brand new porta John to use for mine..... just cut a hole in the bottom and you have an outhouse..... plastic is easy maintenance to wipe the inside walls down to keep it neat..... my only complaint is the snow load pushes the roof down every year but that can just be pushed back up.

09-Oct-17
Porcupines kept eating my plywood chair base. I put some Hot Sauce (very hot) on it......no more chewing. It works for puppies and shoe laces too. Also a 9mm works.

09-Oct-17
Porkies are after the salt......stop pissing on the walls.

09-Oct-17
You need to build a better outhouse. That's the only solution.

I ONLY build using steel now for the buildings on my hunting property for exactly this reason. If you build with wood exterior, the problems never stop.

I don't use "pole barn" style construction, I stick frame everything just like I used to. Just use steel pole barn metal on the exterior. Build it well, seal up the gaps good, and critters will leave it alone. Make sure you have multiple latches on the door to hold it shut tightly.

Buy a good steel cutting blade for your circular saw before you start to build. Makes things a lot easier.

Grouse

10-Oct-17
Axel grease? really? I have this vision of deer, bears, elk, licking the grease off of the logging machinery. They like it. Wouldn't a porkie like it too? No expert but just sayin I have watched wildlife lick the grease off logging equipment.

As for a solution to the issue I have nothing to offer, sorry. The population of porkies around here is at an all time low I see evidence of them but have not seen one in years.

oz

10-Oct-17
He did you a favor. That thing is a black widow resort.

10-Oct-17
Sounds simple but mothballs work!

That’s what backpackers use under their vehicles when parked in lots or along the road in the Northern Tier counties in Pa.

The porkies are attracted to the rubber hoses on your vehicle. I read it in a trail guide once- it warned to use moth balls if you were planning to park your vehicle overnite.

I would try the mothballs first.

10-Oct-17
Flex seal, then it can double as a boat!

10-Oct-17
BOXCALL,

Your story reminds me of a lady that worked with my wife at the school where she teaches. She somehow pinched her....well.....you know on the toilet seat and wanted to file a workers comp case.

By the way....threads like this are one of the truly awesome things about Bowsite. A lot of funny stuff.

• Sitka Gear