sticksender 07-Oct-17
TD 07-Oct-17
MonkeyEyes 07-Oct-17
drycreek 07-Oct-17
HDE 07-Oct-17
Backpack Hunter 08-Oct-17
Griz34 08-Oct-17
07-Oct-17
What are your tips for keeping hair of big game off of meat during the quartering process?

I have found pronghorn to be particularly difficult.

07-Oct-17
Propane torch.

07-Oct-17
Lol propane torch? I tire I have another thing to haul 5 miles into the woods. I try to be as careful as possible and pick them off as I go. Obviously make sure you cut with the hair and from skin out if that makes sense. Hair isn’t that bad. Try a bull that just finished wallowing! Impossible to keep things clean. I guess I could carry a hose and water with my propane torch and rinse him off! :)

07-Oct-17
Lighter??? :)

07-Oct-17
green scratch pad

07-Oct-17
I just rinse it off when I get home

07-Oct-17
Keep it clean to start with. Use a razor sharp knife and work with the grain. Cut from the brisket to the back and then down the legs to the hocks. Never cut against the hair flow. You will cut off a lot less hair and have a lot less on the meat. I then take my meat to a cold creek and rinse and cool . Then pat dry and sack. Have managed to do it this way for over fifty years and never lost any meat . I never have figured out why so many are adverse to washing the meat .

God bless, Steve

07-Oct-17
I don't worry about it. Most of it comes off with the outer casing, the rest gets washed off.

07-Oct-17
Yep, or after it cools just pat/rub off with your bare hand.

07-Oct-17
A propane torch may not be feasible in the field but once you get it home and hung it works great for removing any hair.

07-Oct-17
+4 propane torch.

07-Oct-17
Deer/pronghorn/elk hair is hollow. Singe the carcass with a small propane torch will disintegrate the hair.

Also, use vinegar when wiping the meat prior to processing as its a natural disinfectant

07-Oct-17
Adhesive lint roller after the quarters dry.

07-Oct-17
What Sixby said, cut hide from inside out and with the grain. Much less hair gets cut. I wear disposable rubber gloves and they help get what does get on the meat, to get it off the glove, wipe your hand on the fleshy side of the hide as you skin things back. I like to use a "zipper" blade like the OE Swingblade type (modified just a bit) Browning used to make a good zipper blade on a multi blade folding knife. Makes life easier.

07-Oct-17
X5 on the torch. I worked at a processors for several years and that’s what we used.

07-Oct-17
I've never found hair from an antelope to be a problem. Although the skin tries to roll the wrong way, the hair comes right off after the carcass cools a bit as Charlie said. Deer hair, on the other hand, seems to stick like glue. The best cure for that is to just not get any on the meat, or as little as possible. I usually wind up with some on the neck where I start skinning , but that's about all.

07-Oct-17
"Filet" knife when cutting up.

08-Oct-17
Another one for the propane torch, although I always use it when I am back home.

08-Oct-17
Another vote for propane torch.

• Sitka Gear