Contributors to this thread:
Cocoon Man 01-Nov-17
Rth1229 01-Nov-17
jims 01-Nov-17
Kurt 01-Nov-17
Hunt98 02-Nov-17
Scrappy 02-Nov-17
01-Nov-17
Since I always have my cell phone with me I was thinking about getting a remote shutter control for it and a compact tripod and cell phone holder adapter for it, rather than bringing a separate camera. Anyone out there use this setup, and what have you found regarding the pros and cons and any recommendations on a good setup ?

01-Nov-17
C. Rehor has a pretty sweet setup. I think there’s a thread like this kicking around here somewhere

01-Nov-17
I recently got an Octopus tripod, remote shutter, and attachments for my IPhone. I think I paid around $15 and it works great. It is super light, compact, and easy to set up. Here's a link to a similar one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Octopus-Stand-Tripod-iPhone-Samsung-Cell-Phone-Camera-Mount-Holder/253091732691?epid=780198534&hash=item3aed715cd3:g:NeUAAOSwKBVZrGjU

I have several cameras/video cameras to choose from. Each has it's advantages. It's always good having a back up in case a battery goes dead or something goes wrong with a camera. I have a go pro that works great for fishing trips. I took some incredible underwater video of spawning salmon with it a couple summers ago. I recently bought a Canon SX65. It has a 65x zoom that is about as big as they get. It's great for field judging, scouting, and taking long range animal pics. I have a Lumix waterproof camera that takes great pics/video and I don't ever have to worry about getting it wet. I take all of them along on most of my trips!

01-Nov-17
The Phone Skope bluetooth remote works very well along with a cheap iPhone clamp adaptor that fits the tripod stud. I use my iPhone 7/Phone Skope with the the Swaro spotter for some decent critter photos too. Do not want to carry a camera too as the new phones have decent cameras unless you are looking for professional quality photos. Good luck with it!

02-Nov-17
The self timer on the iPhone works ok. It can be a pain to start the timer and get into position in time before the picture is taken. But it works.

02-Nov-17
I had no idea about the remote shutter, I always push the button then run to get into position. Gotta have one thanks for the headsup.

• Sitka Gear