B19 05-Nov-17
Glunt@work 05-Nov-17
MichaelArnette 06-Nov-17
MichaelArnette 06-Nov-17
elkstabber 06-Nov-17
Missouribreaks 06-Nov-17
B19 06-Nov-17
05-Nov-17
From a state/province Wildlife Resources Department standpoint, what do you guys think is the biggest benefit of promoting/providing archery opportunities? It seems to me it is a reasonably low impact hunting opportunity that has a good economic return for the department and, more indirectly, local business but I’m curious to see your thoughts.

05-Nov-17
Plenty. We pay the same license fee but usually consume less resource and an archery tag generates more recreation days than other weapon types.

If you have one bull elk available for harvest, you can issue 4 rifle tags (25% success rate) or you can issue 10 archery tags (10% success rate).

We are less visible to land owners and non hunters, as well as easier to fit in populated areas with our limited range and no noise.

We are more easily accepted by nonhunters due to the challenge and limitations of bowhunting.

06-Nov-17
Glunt@work nailed it, however technology is our enemy in all of his points as bows/cross guns/air rifles that shoot arrows get pushed and bowhunting begins to look more and more like any other method in both statistical and artistic form. Bowhunting has the respect and liberal seasons we currently enjoy purely because of its equipment limitation.

Push Limits=Lose Bowhunting's Benifits

06-Nov-17
I suppose you could add that an arrow is a very humane and ethical tool as well...often completely painless!

06-Nov-17
For Saskatchewan it is disappointing that non-residents are not allowed to hunt mule deer, ever.

06-Nov-17
I agree with MichaelArnette's first post.

As far as the second, arrows may result in a quick and painless death. That can occur with perfect shots. I see a whole lot of posts on this very forum about non lethal or slow to die hits. With posts like these, it will be tough to convince nonhunters that arrows are quick and painless. The occasional poorly placed shots that cause some pain and slow healing, or death, are a part of bowhunting and all hunting. Hunched up deer are in great pain. I have done it all myself.

06-Nov-17
All good points... from the outside looking in it seems like many of the states discussed here the most have more hunters, higher hunter density, and more liberal archery seasons. To me it seems like it's a great way to provide more recreation opportunities with no major impact to the resource.

I agree with you elkstabber. No reason that we shouldn't have a limited NR mule deer draw in SK. Heck, I'd be the first to offer to help a guy out with the hunt. For whatever reason though it seems like a fight to maintain what we currently have so I just can't imagine it ever happening. Would be a fantastic source of revenue for the Ministry and no real impact to the resource if it ever did though.

• Sitka Gear