T Mac 16-Nov-17
t-roy 16-Nov-17
Brian M. 16-Nov-17
drycreek 16-Nov-17
TREESTANDWOLF 18-Nov-17
15-Nov-17

TREESTANDWOLF's embedded Photo
I spent 113 hours or so the last few weeks, I passed numerous bucks, including this guy, but I focused on hunting one buck, a particular, huge, old buck. 4 encounters later, the last night, the last 5 minutes of the day, before I had to leave, I had my chance.... I blew it. Chip shot and I blew it and then it hit me.

Looking back at the week, It was so worth it, freezing those mornings, not getting enough sleep and contemplating each and every move, but the animal seemed secondary. I get to each to and every year see my friends, share laughs, bust chops and create memories. This year I convinced a very good friend who hunts and lives in Florida, who just recently lost his mom, who shoots a traditional bow, to come and stay and hunt with me. To see him reconnect, and talk about the " Huge" 130" - 9 point he passed made me grin from ear to ear. He was holding out for a mature buck or a solid 8. He hunted all week for a buck he named " Mr. Wonderful" who was just a beautiful 8 point.

I had my first helping of " Hot Fries" ( * Deep fried French fry potatoes smothered in Louisiana Hot Sauce ) Next day....ouch. Tried a local favorite cocktail, the " Mulsy". Whew !, that's all I can say. Went to the local taxidermist and picked up " Hook" from last bow season, he looks great! That buck, well he's still alive with a little battle scar now, but, looking back, what a successful trip. Hunting camps are great, and the animal is the bonus IMO. The time is priceless ! Take pictures, they are also priceless, for years to come.

Enjoy the rest of your season, Rich

15-Nov-17

15-Nov-17

15-Nov-17
I get as much from anticipating the hunt as the actual hunt itself. The "Hunt" might only last a week or two. Anticipation for the next "Hunt" keeps me going all year. Bob

15-Nov-17
Sounds like you had a great hunt. I'm happy for you. We're so privileged to live in a time and in this country (Canada included!) where this is possible.

For me, a hunt is about adventure, big animals, and meat in the freezer. Every hunt is a combination of those three with varying importance.

15-Nov-17
Great post! I am spending time right now with an absolute wonderful farm family in Iowa. Big deer are big deer but the friendship is priceless. Good luck all!

15-Nov-17
For me it's about reconnecting with buddies I haven't seen for a while. The hunting is just gravy...

16-Nov-17
Rich you have always been one of the guys who "gets it" in my opinion. Great post.

16-Nov-17
Great post Rich! I couldn't agree more! Sometimes a successful hunt doesn't have to end with meat in the freezer.

16-Nov-17
There was a doctor in the city where I was raised who was a diehard golfer. If any of you who know the type or who have worked for one, they are a different breed.

One evening my father was at a cocktail party and someone brought-up my father's hunting. Aside from whitetails, he has hunted globally and has his FNAWS, so he's been around the block. It wasn't a backhanded question but something along the lines of why he was so passionate about it. The golfer doctor piped-up, "Well, it's one of the last true adventures left in the world."

The guy was right. It's true, it really is one of the last opportunities to get out and see the uncivilized world or if hunting domestically, to interact with nature and become a part of it as an apex predator. As I look at doing an ibex hunt in Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, or Kazakhstan, there is another element to the hunt than just the trophy itself. In the end, the experiences we have in the field are why we embrace this lifestyle. If it is just about the trophy, there are plenty of game farms and high-fence operations for that crowd.

16-Nov-17
Camp camaraderie is what I look forward to most on hunting trips. Every year I take my rifle out for the opening weekend walk in upstate NY. The camp hijinx is priceless and quite frankly I could leave the rifle home and be just as content. My second favorite thing is helping others bloodtrail and recover an animal!

16-Nov-17
To add to what others have posted above, another enjoyable aspect of the hunt to me is sharing in the excitement of other’s (as well as my own) successes, as well as empathize with each other’s close calls or failures. Misery loves company sometimes.

16-Nov-17
The anticipation. Experiencing the unknown and seeing different terrain. Pursuing big game that isn't available at home (basically everything but whitetails). Disconnecting from work, phones, computers, every day hustle and bustle of routine life. Even getting away from family. Of course meat from a successful trip. Conversation with like minded people, and sharing stories of success....and failure.

16-Nov-17

drycreek's embedded Photo
You might want to put some ice on that.....
drycreek's embedded Photo
You might want to put some ice on that.....
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were spent hunting with my oldest son, something we seldom get to do anymore. I passed on a couple of immature bucks, as did he, but he got to take a smallish racked old warrior that had seen better days. He was scarred up like a logging mule !

The best part of the hunt was us spending time together though, I wouldn't trade that for the biggest buck in the woods.

18-Nov-17
Thx for responses and kind words.

Age sure brings wisdom!

• Sitka Gear