Bob H in NH 02-Nov-21
molsonarcher 02-Nov-21
DanaC 02-Nov-21
SDHNTR(home) 02-Nov-21
txhunter58 02-Nov-21
DanaC 02-Nov-21
midwest 02-Nov-21
21-Nov-17
OK. I would like a better credit card. I don't worry too much about interest as I pay my balance every month. My credit rating is very good. Who has the best cash back programs? Basically I want to make the most money off of my purchases! I currently have a Cabelas Card but 1% on non Cabelas purchases is pretty generic. Thanks in advance.

21-Nov-17
I like my Citi double cash card. 2% cash back on everything, no fees, etc. I build up my cash back balance all year and then cash it in on hunting gear when it goes on sale at the end of the season. This year I cashed it in on gear for my girls and they are now Sitka queens! Ha!

21-Nov-17
Costco citi card and Alaskan Airlines cc. Going to Africa in September, so trying to get a free tix or two!

21-Nov-17
There's literally an organization that compares and rates credit cards. You can find it with Google. As far as money/rewards goes, nothing is better than the gasoline visa/MCs when you're buying gasoline only (5% cash back). I have a gas card for gas, but buy everything else with my Alaska Airlines credit card because I fly between AK and the lower 48 several times per year so it only makes sense.

21-Nov-17
In before the guy who will post that using a credit card is horrible and that everyone should just roll like Randy Moss. "Straight Cash Homie!"

21-Nov-17
I'm retired and got in over my head with the 5.000.00 limit master card .paid it off and don't use it anymore.there just too easy to use,then the payments come due.

21-Nov-17
I have been faithful to my cabelas card for years seems anytime I need something I have enough points to cover it. Trail cams, arrows, clothing, fishing tackle - always seem to have enough points...

21-Nov-17

StickFlicker's Link
No single card is best for everything. I have a few cards, and know which to use to maximize various purchases.

Tobinsghost, if you're looking for a free ticket to Africa, there is no better airline flight to South Africa than on Delta. See my link for a quick way to earn a large chunk of Delta miles at one time (73,000 miles just for spending $3,000 on your card over 90 days). Last summer, there were plenty of flights for $80,000 round trip. You and your spouse (or whoever else is going with you) could both sign-up for a card, and easily have enough miles in time for next summer. Delta points never expire once earned, and if there's even one ticket available on a flight you can get it with miles (not limited like many other airlines).

21-Nov-17
I've gotten a couple free Alaska trips by signing up for Alaska Air Credit Cards. They charged a yearly fee after the first year so I cancelled them.

I now use Chase Saphire Preferred. I got a pile of pts when I signed up and used their card to purchase so many $ of stuff the first month or 2. I bought another round trip Alaska trip with pts when I signed up for the Chase card. The Chase card is nice because I can convert points to instant $ instead of having to put the pts towards flights or products. I like the cash idea!

21-Nov-17
Chase Sapphire Preferred here as well. Great card with easy to use rewards. Built a new house last year, paid for most of it with the card. It pretty much covered our 12 day Hawaii trip for our 25th anniversary last May. We pay for everything with it, bills, food, etc. Just pay it off at end of the month and reap the rewards!

21-Nov-17
SF,

Thx, looking into it.

21-Nov-17
Good results with B of A Visa

21-Nov-17
we double up and use two cards for all our bills and expenses. First is an american express blue cash everyday and second is a BOA rewards visa. we max out the limits on both cards typically. The average return last year was slightly over 2%.

22-Nov-17

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
Comparison of the Two Different Sapphire Cards
StickFlicker's embedded Photo
Comparison of the Two Different Sapphire Cards

StickFlicker's Link
Chase actually has two Sapphire cards, Preferred (as DRR324 mentioned above) and Reserved, the latter allows you to get more value from your points than the Preferred card and you also earn them at a higher rate per dollar spent for some items. For those that already have the Preferred or Chase Freedom, you can get the Reserved and transfer the points from those two cards over to the Reserved to spend them. That way, they will have a higher value when used to purchase travel than if you spend them while under the other two cards. It has a higher annual fee, but for those that travel you can get almost all of it back in credits. They give you a $300 statement credit once you spend $300 or more on travel (even parking, Uber and many other things are considered travel. I just paid parking for work and received it.) Reserved will also give you a $100 statement credit if you sign-up for Global Entry or TSA Pre Check (which I know many on here have said is well worth the money). I've attached a link if you want to look at all of the benefits on Chase's website. I've had almost every travel card at one time or another, some of them more than once. Obtaining the sign-up bonus for new cards is the way to earn lots of points/miles fast if you have a trip this year, not earning them slowly on purchases.

22-Nov-17
Thanks SF, I will check into the Reserved card. My wife and I make one "big" trip annually, this might help for sure...

22-Nov-17
Whats in your wallet?

02-Nov-21
Brotsky, probably you should've check all the options when you've been watching the best credit card for your personal needs. Just as an example, I can share with you this exact article about american express air miles platinum credit card where you can read about every single detail of this credit card, and to compare it with some other credit cards.

02-Nov-21
We have a single card, Capital One Venture. You need to figure out what works for you. Where we live, pretty much the only airline option is united, so Delta, Alaska etc, is useless. We debated United vs Capital One, but went with Capital one due to no blackouts on airline tickets. We get 2 miles/dollar spent on travel related items (travel, hotel, restaurants, rental car), you build the miles, then buy what you want on the card and use the miles to erase the fee off the card. So no travel blackouts because according to United the ticket is bought and paid for.

I also travel for work, so I put all those expenses on this card as well. We buy about 2 airline tickets/year to visit kids/grand-kids, then use United frequent flier miles for another 1-2 tickets/year

02-Nov-21
I use capital one venture as well. I can use the rewards for statement credits on everything. Not being locked in to any one airlie is nice, so i shop around when booking flights and get the best deal i can find. Points never expire, no annual fee either.

02-Nov-21
Been using Cabelas card for years, have gotten some nice stuff with it. I cash in once a year or so, usually will cover a pair of light hikers. Went two years and took home a new RCBS Rock Chucker ;-)

02-Nov-21
B of A Premium Rewards.

02-Nov-21
Did you guys notice this post was four years old, and the guy who brought it up is a spammer?

Dana. I too had a Cabela’s card for many years. But you only get one percent, and have to spend it at Cabela’s. Now I have a capital one 2% card which doubles my rewards and I can spend it anywhere

02-Nov-21
Hmmm... my new Cabelas card is issued by Capital One, maybe I should ask them about that. thanks!

02-Nov-21
For God's sake, Brotsky....click the link!

• Sitka Gear