Jaquomo 23-Nov-17
IdyllwildArcher 23-Nov-17
Sixby 24-Nov-17
23-Nov-17

GF's embedded Photo
This guy cruised past my mom’s place this morning
GF's embedded Photo
This guy cruised past my mom’s place this morning
My brother and I thought this was a bit unusual...

23-Nov-17
Location?

23-Nov-17
Jacquomo’s stomping grounds, pretty near... North-Central CO at 8600 feet

23-Nov-17
Prob a hybrid

23-Nov-17
Highest I have seen a whitetail was Dumont Lake near Rabbit Ears pass around 9500'. Had a doe on the trail came at 8400' in Red Feather Lake area last year. I see them around Walden at 8000'.

23-Nov-17
I thought maybe a hybrid, too, but my brother says no indication.... just a nice, typical 10-point (and would you look at the HAMS on that boy!).

Sure do like what pine pitch does to a rack...

I could just about see them moving up the riverbottoms, but West Slope makes no sense to me....

23-Nov-17
Wow cool looking buck! My dad shot a hybrid this year as well. That’s 2 now I have seen this year and both had a narrow rack.

23-Nov-17
Without seeing tail looks 100% whitetail

23-Nov-17
It’s got CWD

23-Nov-17
Had whitetails around Parshall in the Colorado River bottom back in the 80s. Don’t know today.

23-Nov-17
Probably a " cull " buck.

23-Nov-17
Nope - typical 10-pt rack on the front and a big white flag on the back...

I never knew they were really around West of the divide, but it sounds like they’re just finding their way up-stream. Mom says this guy and 3 does have been residents for about 3 years now...

23-Nov-17
If you guys can zero in on the "beading" on the bases...that will give you a hint. Whitetails have beading in rows....Muleys are random.

23-Nov-17
i seen a nice 5x5 whitetail just outside the town of redfeather this year, also been seeing them in walden for the last 10 years. i gotta say though id have to see more of that guy to say whitetail on him.

23-Nov-17
Lets see the tail. It would be the best clue !

23-Nov-17
Agree with map1. Any hybrid I’ve ever seen has mulie ears. Looks 100% wt to me.

23-Nov-17
“f you guys can zero in on the "beading" on the bases...that will give you a hint. Whitetails have beading in rows....Muleys are random.”

I zoomed in on the image sent to me via text.... there are definitely some rows of “beads” running along the length of the beam out toward the first point...

Not all of the texture is so neatly aligned, but...

Never heard of that distinction... good to know.

23-Nov-17
Hybrid? That’s funny!

23-Nov-17
I’m sure Jaquomo will weigh in on this thread regarding hybrid WT when he gets back from his hunt.

Summer of 2016, I saw a WT doe at 9600’ in North Park. I’m sure they came up via Woods Landing and the Laramie valley

23-Nov-17
I’ve see whitetails in central colorado. Saw one at 10,500 ft

23-Nov-17
Rack looks whitetail for sure. Face, body, ears hint a little to mule deer. IMVHO.

23-Nov-17
I have seen them near Wolcott and Toponas. They are still around Parshall.

23-Nov-17
The hybrids I've seen and the one I killed had some mixed-up characteristics. That one looks like all whitetail but the body is pretty blocky, especially the back end. BTW, I've seen whitetails breeding muley does but never a muley showing any interest in whitetail does, even when the whitetail does are with the muley does in the herd during the rut.

I found a pretty cool shed today that I'm almost positive is a hybrid. This was on the plains where they definitely interbreed. I'll post the pic tomorrow.

23-Nov-17
Looks 100% white tail to me too. I hunted WT at 8600 ft this year. They get around.

24-Nov-17
Whitetail bucks are much more territorial and agressive than mulies or blacktails and will take over a territory. When they do they are apt to run into blacktail or mulie does in the rut and breed them. this looks like a cross to me and I have seen some around the Sutherland and Roseburg areas here in Oregon. These were whitetail and blacktail crosses and blacktails are a mule deer subspecies. The only way to really tell is the tarsal gland size though., This buck has a mask and looks to be very young and possibly bifurcated antlers . I have seen tons of blacktail bucks that have antlers just like these on this buck. He just does not have that solid whitetail look to me but looks exactly like our whitetail , blacktail cross that i have seen. God bless, Steve

• Sitka Gear