Bowriter 09-Dec-17
RJ Hunt 09-Dec-17
Dino 10-Dec-17
Will 10-Dec-17
stagetek 10-Dec-17
Rob Nye 11-Dec-17
White Falcon 11-Dec-17
08-Dec-17
Do they not understand that many of us buy Sitka even though their patterns relatively suck? Their was a post in this last week and over and over i read the Purchases we would make if predator just made quality gear like sitka I Whitetail version.. anyone have any connections to get this done?

08-Dec-17
Because the camo market up until original Sitka came along sold the patterns instead of the performace of the garments made out of the camo. Like those "sports cars" with 4 cylinder rice grinders basically. Sitka came along and rocked that stupid paradigm and everyone else was slow to adjust and I assume most didn't have the capital to do so rapidly. We're now seeing other companies start to make adjustments and like any relatively free market there will be winners and there will be losers. If you have a few spare millions sitting around waiting to be invested, maybe the owners of Predator would love to hear your insight, otherwise we get what we get. Me, I think camo is for the most part way overrated but I just like the looks of asat and predator, and really don't care for a single pattern that sitka, first lite, or kuiu puts out now.

08-Dec-17
One word-cost.

Camo patterns may be licensed by just about any clothing company. It would be far easier and cheaper for Sitka to license Predator patter than for Predator to upgrade quality. Day One Camo, out of Englewood, CO makes quality clothing in ASAT.

08-Dec-17
What issues have you guys had? I've been wearing predator camo for two years and the only TWO things that drive me nuts are their small and inconsistent sizing and the lack of hoods on their cold season jackets.

08-Dec-17
The Sitka pattern works terrifically on ungalates. I am amongst them at least 75 days each year from early to late season and I’m completely sold. Historically we looked at Camo patterns as we see them. No more! Additionally the layering system allows me comfortable hunting and drawing the bow in all sorts of weather and temps.

Yes, I’m a fan boy and always will be. For all season Whitetail bow hunting they have exactly what I need to stay after them!!

As Bowriter mentioned it’s money. Gore owns Sitka and has lots!

08-Dec-17
I have 3 sets of predator...all either buck suede or fleece.....Used to get them from LL Bean in spring green pattern. It has taken me 3 years of Archery Talk classified and Ebay to amass 3 good sets with XL tops and L bottoms...all fleece or buck suede...spring green and fall brown....I am happy but it was a hassle !!

Joe

08-Dec-17
Oooops, I forgot to mention...I have been able to purchase some fleece baclavas in SG and FB Predator...took them to a seamstress with my SG and FB fleece coats and she made an attached hood for each coat from the baclavas !! I wear the bucksuede for mild weather and fleece when its elk hunting cold.....I really dislike he newer slick material and the sizing is difficult for sure...everything seems to be 1/2 size small.. Joe

08-Dec-17
"What issues have you guys had?" Other than their cut and materials..... nothing.....

Now first lite dropping ASAT, camo selection will only get worse. Those wanting ASAT will soon be in the same boat as Predator, only available in poor design and materials. Yeah, camo is over rated.... for the most part. But as with many if not most things in life there are those that just perform a bit better than the rest. IMO Predator and ASAT patterns stand out.... so to speak. Sitka started out with ASAT (pre-gore) and started their brand reputation with it before dropping it as well. I don't know what these patterns charge to license them..... must be a good amount as they seem to get picked up while the brands build and then are dropped as brand confidence is established.

Luckily my ASAT leafy jacket goes over pretty much anything. For now I'm OK.

08-Dec-17
Go buy ASAT, best camo by far.

08-Dec-17
I think what the OP was getting as it that predator makes their own clothing. They've got the best pattern on the planet and they can't make a decent jacket, other than their lumpy oversized pumpkin shaped fleece jackets.

If you look on their website it looks like they are trying to make some nicer stuff, just not quite getting there.

08-Dec-17
The same can be said for ASAT. Great pattern, but they make terrible quality clothing.

08-Dec-17
Go buy ASAT, best camo by far.

08-Dec-17
Can anyone hook up either Kuiu or Sitka with them for me??

08-Dec-17
That pattern that looks like a hundred sickles is horrid looking. The best camo is large light and dark splotches....I have some older ASAT that does not look like this. What happened to that pattern.

08-Dec-17
"Go buy ASAT, best camo by far." - And do it now at First Lite on sale before it's all gone for good.

08-Dec-17
Predator is making high performance clothing. The Ambush series. the High Plains series, and the G2 Whitetail series are all high performance clothing from Predator. Pants, jackets and vests.

09-Dec-17

Bowriter's embedded Photo
"Luckily my ASAT leafy jacket goes over pretty much anything. For now I'm OK."

As many of you know, I was part of the original ASAT team whenit was designed and tested back in the early 80's. As part of my compensation, I took clothing instead of money. As a result, I have a lifetime supply of every product we developed. I was smart enough to get 10 of the "Leafy suits", as soon as we went from snaps to zippers. I have five, still in the package. There two companies that made quality, warm weather clothes-Dakota Outfitters, (now defunct), and Day One. I have an array of both from pants to vests to jackets and two coveralls. Obviously, I am an ASAT fan and have been the early days of development. ASAT, was the first pattern developed for animal eyes, not humans. Predator was about 18-months behind, as was Skyline. At one time, lawsuits were considered against both companies, it was decided, heck, let it go. I was strongly against suing since I felt it was impossible to trademark a pattern if it had any variation. Skyline, did cross a couple lines but what the heck. For many years, I have been friends with most of the major Camo makers, feeling, "Let them pull their wagon, we will pull ours." Here is the plain truth about camouflage. Any of them...any of them will work almost as well as blue jeans and a red plaid shirt if you sit still. The good camo patterns allow you to get away with some movement. The ASAT and even Mossy Oak, leafy suits, (ASAT is called Ultimate 3-D...or was,), I have found to work on all ungulates and even turkeys. Any animal whose eyes glow in the dark, does not see color as we do. In 1981, in the testing phase of ASAT, it was found that the most effective colors were a tan background with break colors of black and dark brown. White would also have been added but the danger factor ruled it out. Secondly, of high importance was the shape of the break colors and the size. Two years of intense testing and developing was done before ASAT was ever put on the market. Here is the simple answer to all problems. Get two sets of the Ultimate 3-D, one to wear over light weight clothing, one to wear over heavy, winter wear. Cheap and you are good to go. (sidebar) The inventor of ASAT, unfortunately, went "around the bend". I have no idea where he is today or what has happened to him. But in the camo market, he was just about two years ahead of everybody else. He was "copied" both in pattern concept and in the design of the "leafy suit". But it took forever for other manus to realize, green was actually a handicap color in terms of hunting. Hunters, on the other hand, had to have it because, they, just as did most manus, looked and thought with full color concepts. What color are deer, elk, lions, bobcats, quail? See any green? One of my few selfies on a cold morning. Ultimate 3-D over some warm clothing.

09-Dec-17

ASAT Fleece from Dakota Outfitters, Still wearing it.

09-Dec-17
Been using Cabelas Berber fleece with Windstopper for several years for cold weather hunts in Saskatchewan. Their Outfitter camo pattern is highly effective. Got jacket and bibs for less $$ than a high-tech jacket costs.

09-Dec-17
Yeah, Rob, that is pretty good stuff for the money.

09-Dec-17
Yes i agree with everything above. Writer and Rob couldn’t be more right. For the first time this year purchase and wore Sitkas fanatic, stratus, and incinerator pieces in one way or another and was simply impressed with their fit, comforts, weight, warmth, and most importantly the technical thought put into them. I’m just not a big fan of the color. If Kuiu was to make a whitetail version in vias I’d have to sell the Sitka and jump.

09-Dec-17
I sold camo clothing at one time and Predator (the company) was one of the harder companies to work with. Their business decisions are hard to figure, Fall Brown was one of the most popular patterns they had and they discontinued it.

It's been quite a few years since I worked with them, hopefully their customer service has improved.

They really should do like Mossy Oak and Realtree have done, license their patterns more and not try to be a sole garment maker.

09-Dec-17
Found out that predator or mossy oak won't return and questions e mailed to them.the new predator is shiny.and prices are ridiculous on asat and most others.

09-Dec-17
Check out SixSitegear.com , I like the camo and they are made in America , I haven't tried yet .

09-Dec-17
Camo companies are kinda funny. I have no trouble talking with anyone at Mossy or Real Tree. I have know those folks for decades. Today, I have no reason to call Predator or ASAT and am not even sure who owns them, now. If I need hunting clothes, I call Gary Christofferson at Day One. As I have mentioned...many times, the ASAT Ultimate 3-D is the answer. Inexpensive and wear it over anything.

09-Dec-17

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
I really like the Predator patterns. Shot all my whitetails using it with many, many close encounters. My most prized trophy was taken while sporting Predator Fall Brown. Switched to ASAT over time because it was easier to find in higher end quality materials. Just heard about the ASAT deal and First Lite dropping them. That sucks! I like my ASAT!

09-Dec-17
Personally I wish the trendy manufacturers would offer more solid colors like olive drab or brown. That'd probably be my preference in hunting clothes, and they might cost a little less. I know Kuiu offers a few of their pieces in solid colors. The question about the value of camo patterns is answered (for me anyway) each time a deer walks past and ignores a motionless guy wearing solid blaze orange coveralls, in the same way he walks past another motionless guy in full camo.

09-Dec-17
Sticksender-one word in your post said it all...motionless. It doesn't matter what you wear, as long as you are motionless. As I said in a previous post, good camo lets you get away with "some", motion. In the research, in terms of most wild game, we found two colors that seemed to catch their attention the fastest. Blue was the worst, second was light gray. Dark grey, seemed to work fine. But light tan as a base color, was 10X more effective than any other color, second was dull yellow.

09-Dec-17
Just looked it up. They now call it Vanish 3-D. Costs $108-$139 a suit. Get the hood while you are at it. Use it for turkeys, too. You can wear it over absolutely anything. Tough, too, won't tear on briars.

09-Dec-17
My favorite pattern (and my first to be worn) is my predator fall grey. I will put my base layer, goose down and Sitka vest on and cover it all in a cotton t shirt in fall grey predator. May not make any difference but it works between my ears and have killed a ton of animals with it on. Actually had two mountain lions looking for me. One on the ground 20 yards away and I was caught in the wide open and another I was 25’ in my tree and I was looking for my doe bleat not 10 yards from my tree. I killed em both as Neither could bust me and was dressed in fall grey. Maybe jeans and a flannel would have worked too but I wasn’t wearing that at that time and the confidence is in those patterns. Love the pattern but would be nice to upgrade the fabric. I just feel invisible while covered in it.

10-Dec-17
I called the number at predatorcamo.com last summer to inquire about a pattern and a coat or two. The fellow I talked with seemed bothered that I would be wasting his time with camo and clothing questions. I politely hung up the phone and called Gary at Day One and gave him my business.

10-Dec-17
I've had all good experiences with Predator. I will say it feels like the pants could be cut bigger - more of a "loose" cut. Knowing that though, you just order them big... Someone mentioned them getting rid of fall brown - I'm in full agreement there. I'm really happy I still have a fall brown jacket, pants and hat... love that stuff. Now I only break it out a few times a year, I'm trying to make it last longer!

10-Dec-17
I really like Predator camo...but, they make "nothing" that comes even close to fitting me. They are not alone. Needing 37-38" sleeves, and a 38 waist / 36" inseam, not much out there. Too bad. There is a demand for us "larger" AND "taller" folks. And, a side note, larger does not = taller !

11-Dec-17
Not sure what the new Predator camo pattern is called but it is the best I’ve seen for tent blinds. Have 10 of the Predator Den series from Cabelas and they blend in well in almost any terrain.

11-Dec-17

White Falcon's embedded Photo
White Falcon's embedded Photo
Don't know how old it is, but it is from the first year they made it I think. Just wish they had cotton short sleeve shirts.

• Sitka Gear