Cocoon Man 31-Dec-17
Z Barebow 31-Dec-17
Grubby 03-Jan-18
South Farm 04-Jan-18
Bowbender8 27-Feb-18
YZF-88 27-Feb-18
Shawn 27-Feb-18
21-Dec-17
I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new heater body suit. For those of you that have/use them, what are the cons if any? Are they fairly easy to open and get into shooting position? How do you pack them into your stand? I hunt all public land so I have to pack my climber in and out each day. Do you have any issues putting them on once you're in your stand? Thanks for any input

21-Dec-17
I carry mine in a backpack. I spose you could roll it up and strap it to your climber.

I've never had much problem getting into it once in the stand, but I only use stands with big platforms. I hate those little stands. I like to stretch my legs a bit.

Just get the zipper started and falls down on its own. Shrug out of it, grab your bow and shoot.

For single digits and below, it's the cats ass.

21-Dec-17
is that thing waterprooof

21-Dec-17
Just sold mine and dont regret it one bit. I strictly hang and hunt and that thing was just to heavy and bulky. For the about the same money you can do as I did. Be patient and catch sales of first lite or Sitka gear. With the right layers you can stay just as warm. Get some artic shield boot covers for your feet.

21-Dec-17
Bou not waterproof but when you need it you will not be worried about rain.

21-Dec-17
I've had mine for 4 years I think. I've shot 3 deer while using it, and I love it when it gets bitterly cold. I only use it for maybe 3 or 4 hunts each year, and didn't even use it this year because I tagged out November 1st.

The only problem I've ever had with it was how bulky it is carrying it to and from the stand. That was pretty easy to remedy though, I just use my third had stabilizer straps to strap it to my climber or use a single cambuckle strap to attach it to my lone wolf assault. It's not very heavy and rolls up into a manageable size for carrying. I've never had any trouble getting into or out of it in any stand, even the small platform lone wolf that I own. I also don't remember ever being busted while unzipping it for the shot and I don't usually hunt much higher than 15 feet.

I own the Sitka Fanatic line and a lot of clothing from both First Lite and Kuiu, but I still pull out my HBS when it gets really cold. I always drop a hand warmer in each leg, and I can stay warm in some pretty cold conditions.

21-Dec-17
I cant imagine staying as warm in just layered clothing but I suppose.. The HBS as described is the ticket when it gets really cold. the straps that secure it rolled up also double as shoulder strap so i carry it out on my back. I use a hip pack when hunting out my stands so that isn't a problem...no issues climbing in and out and shooting as described. I too only use it 3-4 times a year when it get down in the single digit, but it is one of the best presents my kids have ever gotten me!! The key for me is if I know I'm going to use it I climb in it as soon a I'm in the tree and let my body heat from walking warm it up. If you wait until you get cold, it helps some but nothing at that point is going to save you...JMHO

21-Dec-17
What do you do with the suit after you shoot a deer?

21-Dec-17
The suit is amazing for the cold Canadian weather that I hunt in. I can zip out of it quite easily. I hang and hunt using a lone wolf and 4 climbing sticks. My pack, 4 sticks, and the HBS get strapped to the stand. I don't find it heavy. I definitely don't leave the house without it during November. Right now I don't feel the need to try the shivering Sitka Series.

21-Dec-17
Charlie, I take it off, climb down and go get the deer.

No different than having a lot of layers or heavy coveralls, except it is a lot warmer. It's the only way I can stay warm while im sitting when it gets really cold. Im talking 0 down to 20 below. If it's only in the 20s or teens I don't use it.

I have to take all my layers off when I'm moving or working so it's no different.

I did look at the iwom after it was mentioned in this thread, and saw it's offered in predator fall grey. If I didn't already have a hbs, if probably go that direction.

That camo is ideal for late season tree stand hunting. Better than anything else by far.

Maybe hbs makes it too, I didn't look.

21-Dec-17
I've had mine for quite a few years. Kinda bulky to pack but well worth it in the bitter cold. Not sure if this is still an option, but i called the manufacturer and they had discounted suits that were used as displays at hunting shows. Saved me $50.

21-Dec-17
^Ditto^

22-Dec-17
I killed my deer this year with one, I like being able to dress lite and shoot easily. I had temps in the teens with some wind I wasn't cold in the least. John B.

22-Dec-17
I don't understand using them unless you could leave it in the stand. They seem like such a PIA to lug around. This is what I use and I've stayed on stand all day in temps around zero degrees with 25mph winds. I've also used it on all-day snow machine trips in negative temps. You can wear warm clothes under it and just flop it over your shoulder for the walk in and put it on before you climb the tree. I don't understand why more people don't use coveralls. They're very popular up in northern AK for snow machining long distances.

22-Dec-17
Having trouble with the link

copy and paste below into your browser and it'll pull it up. THey're $440, but they go on sale every spring for like $250

Cabela's Stand Hunter Extreme Insulated Coveralls

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/mens-hunting-clothing/mens-hunting-cold-weather-camo-clothing/mens-cold-weather-camo-bib-coveralls/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104274180/i/104048280/cabelas-stand-hunter-extreme-insulated-coveralls/753783.uts?slotId=7

22-Dec-17
I love mine. A bit difficult to put on, but worth it when the high temp is 0 Fahrenheit and there is a wind. Mine came with a carry system and I can use it even when wearing a back pack.

Mike

22-Dec-17
I never read the instructions that came with the suit,the first time that the temps dipped low enough to use it ,after getting the rest of my gear together, pack on ,bow in hand.I have a bum knee ,I zipped it up,,I thought ,how in hell am I going to hop a 1//4 mile???it went good until the first downhill section.upon the first downhill hop,things went awry......momentum got the best of me after clearing the first log( the size of a tv remote) with my pack on and bow in hand,,I kinda looked like a bag of microwave popcorn ready to blow.all zipped up u couldn't catch my fall,,,a nock jabbed up into my nosehole,as I carted end over end,pinballing off of scrub oaks,christ it seemed like a mile....so standing there in cabelas..I decided I'd better pass........

22-Dec-17
I borrowed one a couple years ago, amazing. Sure it’s bulky but for long sits when it’s really cold it can’t be beat. I hD a chance to buy a “half in the bag” last year for dirt cheap. No where near the same and I will be getting a hbs next time I still have a tag this late in the year. When I say cold I’m not talking about below freezing....I’m talking about below zero.

22-Dec-17
Thank you for all of your input.

22-Dec-17
12 degrees, 30mph wind in your face, 3rd hour on stand... It's the best thing on earth!

I carry it with it's supplied straps looped around around my shoulders like a backpack.

Not hard to get into on stand, but be careful...

I seem to get busted less when I'm in one than when I'm not in one. I feel like a giant blob but it seems to not matter. I've been close to deer, yotes, and bobcats in one. I view it as like being in a very mobile blind.

22-Dec-17
Once you shoot a deer you simply climb out, and down off your stand and go get him. There is no reason why you couldn't leave it in your stand either...roll it up strap it in and go.... Everyone obviously have their preferences, but for me when its bitterly cold it helps me stay in stand. Especially growing up out west here being a ground hunter (spot/stalk, etc.) it's hard enough to stay in the stand when its pleasant out...I need all the help I can get

22-Dec-17
It’s one of those things that you don’t need very often but when you do it’s priceless. No layers can keep you as warm. Find two other guys ready to buy ine and HBS will give you a discount for buying 3 suits.

22-Dec-17
I just use a very large coverall with zippers to the waist,so I can put it on when i get to the stand.I have hunted the late season in Wisconsin for the last 35 years with out problems.

23-Dec-17
I've had my HBS for about 10 years now. I don't use it much. This week temps are getting in the single digits for highs and suitable for the HBS put my sits aren't that long so I'm good with layering up. Trying to get into the HBS is too scary for me if I'm up in my Lone Wolf hang ons or climber. The only stand I feel safe enough to put it on and wear it in is my Tree Lounge.

23-Dec-17
I really don't think the HBS was designed for climbing stands

24-Dec-17
It would be a piece of cake putting on over a RC harness. Rope might have to go out the side however...

24-Dec-17
why not just use a sleeping bag

24-Dec-17
Or hunt two hours in the am, (in bedding areas) then meet up with your hunting buds and do a few nudges/pushes then have lunch in front of the fireplace and watch re-runs of Lee & Tiff. At 2:30 head out to the food plots for the 2.5 hour evening hunt. I have a tough enough time doing all day sits on November 9th much less January 10th:) Hope for bitter cold and snow but be able to draw and shoot while remaining quiet. Good luck! Also remember to ask yourself, “why am I hear”! Answer, “to kill a deer”! Have fun but remember dexterity is lost in the cold and you must remain in control.

24-Dec-17
I would love to have one, just to cheep to fork out $300 bucks.

24-Dec-17
I love the HBS for late season hunts. Bought an extra for my brother to use on an Alberta hunt a few years ago and don't believe he ever used it. Like new if anyone is looking.

24-Dec-17
My sleeping bag is $400 and not meant for being slung through the woods. HBS is great, at least here in MB. If it is heavy for you...

25-Dec-17
I quickly sold mine. Did not like lugging it to stand and definitely didn't like my arms tucked away while 20' up in a tree. I can see wearing it in a blind, but not treestand hunting. My Sitka Fanatic suit keeps me very warm with proper layers and don't need to do anything but draw when a deer sneaks in unexpectedly.

26-Dec-17
This year we had heavy winds and cold weather here in Manitoba. For all day hunts in the rut it's a life saver. Absolutely worth the money when you really need it.

27-Dec-17
The worst part is having to get out of it at the end of a hunt. Great investment.

28-Dec-17
I can remember a late season bow hunt years ago. I was darn cold but feeling mentally tough and dealing with it. But when the buck finally came walking by and I went to draw I couldn’t. As soon as I’d get the string pulled about 4 inches my muscle would spasm and relax the string. I tried multiple times with no luck and watched him walk away without noticing me. Even if you can stick it out you have to be able to get the job done. I’ll never sell my HBS. I bought a Sitka Incinerator last month and it’s an oven but I still feel the same way. When you’re not moving there’s no such thing as too warm.

29-Dec-17
I've had mine about 14 years. I use it from about 20 deg F and lower. I used to carry it in a big pack but the last couple of years I've put it in a duffle and just sling it over my fanny pack. I use 2-3 pull ropes to bring things up to the stand once Ive climbed it. My home made knock-off is made of the old Skyline camo. Very white, but I've NEVER been busted in it. Got both feet soaked walking in once when I broke though some ice. My feet got WARM in the HBS.

29-Dec-17
I just go one and I love it. Like you, I had concerns about how easy it is to get in and out of, how quiet it is and how it packs. I finally pulled the trigger after talking with someone who had one and all I can say is I wish I had bought one sooner. I hunted in 10 degrees with 2 below windchill last weekend and was totally warm. For packing I carry it with the straps and then use a large fanny pack below it to carry all my other stuff. Since most of my back pack used to be taken up with clothes the fanny pack is big enough to hold the rest of my gear.

29-Dec-17
I don't have a HBS. I have a locally made version by Cocoon Man. (Before HBS was a glimmer in someones eye). I don't have to unzip to shoot. When I first moved to ND, I wondered how these guys could kill deer in Dec/Jan. Now I know.

I sat on stand Christmas Day PM. -10F with 15-20 MPH wind in my face. My face got cold, but everything else was fine. Ironically, that night I was thinking about how much money I had spent to be warm in the stand. I wouldn't change a thing.

31-Dec-17
Hey Z, it was -23 this morning were you out there? Shoot any city deer this year?

31-Dec-17
Working on it. I don't hunt mornings when it is this cold.

03-Jan-18
If your ground is hilly so game can get on you very quick, is this quiet and quick enough with no cover to actually get drawn in time?

03-Jan-18
Tell me about this the cocoon

04-Jan-18
Had one, sold it. Warm, yes. Hard to get on, hell yes...can't even imagine trying it in a tree stand. Also, you need warning to get out of it, so if you hunt the thick I'd forget about it. They probably would be the cats ass for guys that hunt enclosed blinds, which I don't. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hated it, but the cost wasn't justified with the way I wanted to use it.

27-Feb-18
South Farm; I can only guess yours was undersized. I'm an old guy and kinda fat, but I get mine on and off without problems. Getting out for the shot is also not trouble. I've read above that other share my experience of not getting busted while using it on stand. I think having my arms 100% concealed is why. Mine is in the old Sky camo which is light gray and white with some tree parts printed on. Might work on the ground if there is good snow cover.

27-Feb-18
Best piece of equipment I ever purchased for stand hunting whitetails. I haven't hunted them for 5 years but I'm keeping it just in case.

27-Feb-18
I owned mine for 3 years, it did keep me worn but it was a PIA. Tough to get on once up the tree and it is big and bulky. Ground hunting or ice fishing it would be awesome. I sold mine which was like new and invested in the Extreme Wooltimate Bibs and Parka. Best investment I have ever make, crazy warm, heavy yes but I carry the bibs rolled up and attached to my pack. Incredibly warm. I sat when it was -12 with windchills down around 30 below and only had on a heavyweight union suit under neath and was warm for the 4 hrs I sat. I say forget the HBS and get the Extreme wooltimate coverall! shawn

• Sitka Gear