smarba 27-Dec-17
Buffalo1 27-Dec-17
Quinn @work 27-Dec-17
JakeBrake 27-Dec-17
JakeBrake 27-Dec-17
hooch08 28-Dec-17
luckydraw 28-Dec-17
25-Dec-17
I think my vote for the dumbest law is still no hunting on Sunday.

25-Dec-17
Not being able to hunt turkey after 1:00 p.m. in Missouri. Other states allow all day hunting and their turkey populations have (gasp) survived.

25-Dec-17
No kidding unless the reasoning is to give the animals a rest? If it is for religious reasons, the Sabbath never has been nor ever was on Sunday. It was Friday evening at sunset to Saturday evening at sunset.

25-Dec-17
Wyo wilderness law for NR.

25-Dec-17
In my state, the bag limit that includes one buck with an un-branched antler, which puts every spike on the menu. That's managing to placate "hunters", not deer.

People are getting better about not killing spikes, but for years I heard lots of guys say, "I've got my spike, now I'm gonna get my trophy ", which usually meant a two year old eight point. Now I'm not a hard core antler worshiper, but I would like to see people shoot 3.5 year old bucks or older and leave the babies alone.

25-Dec-17
Midwest nailed it. Has nothing to do with game management. You can go there for any reason except to hunt. WTF?

25-Dec-17
Probably not the dumbest but evidence of sex for either sex tags.

25-Dec-17
October doe hunt any weapon Kansas...... Local poachers weekend

25-Dec-17
Not allowing camo flourescent orange

25-Dec-17
ND, evidence of sex is the head. It's really fun backpacking a cow elk head through the Badlands. Mike

25-Dec-17
No foot hold traps on public land in Arizona.

25-Dec-17
I agree with Midwest's no nonres hunting in Wyoming wilderness.

25-Dec-17
The Hart beat law in Colorado wilderness

25-Dec-17
Wyoming prohibition of non residents in federally designated wilderness. Just defies all reasonable logic, especially in a supposedly conservative state. It is just a welfare program for outfitters.

PA and others' Sunday hunting prohibition doesn't sit well with me either.

25-Dec-17
Non prosecution of anectine loaded arrows..... crooky letter i ,humpback humpback i.

25-Dec-17
New Mexico outfitter charity tags. A$$inine.

25-Dec-17
I would have to say the WY wilderness law. I can walk in the wilderness during season on a "hike", but not with a bow in my hand? I am a firm believer in State's rights, but on National Forrest public federal lands.

25-Dec-17
Reintroduction and protection of Wolfs in Arizona and New Mexico as well as all the other states.

25-Dec-17
Making it illegal to kill Mountain lions and trap Bobcats in the land of Californication.

25-Dec-17
I can hike in Wyoming wilderness with or without a weapon. I cannot legally hunt. That is definitely at the top for stupid game laws.

I would also put Alaska’s nonresident restrictions for certain species on that list. Total BS.

25-Dec-17
What is the Hart beat law in Colorado Wilderness Forest Bows???

25-Dec-17
I agree that the whole wolf thing is idiotic but not a hunting law per se.

The California lion ban is total BS.

25-Dec-17
Treeline: If you can be prosecuted for killing a predator then it darn sure is part of what I consider to be a hunting law. "to harass, harm, pursue, hunt, shoot, wound, kill, trap, capture, or collect, ort to attempt to engage in any such conduct," is generally unlawful, and may subject you to federal and state prosecution. Criminal penalties may include imprisonment of not more than one year and a fine of up to $50,000.00 and/or a civil penalty of up to $25,000.00. That sir is one hell of a penalty for an animal that needs DEAD.

25-Dec-17
In NJ... if you are on public land and shoot your bow at anything besides a game animal ( coffee cup/clump of grass/ stump etc you can be ticketed for illegal target practice

25-Dec-17
Points taken regarding hunting wolves.

I do believe that the whole wolf thing goes far deeper than just hunting them. The issues of State and local wildlife management, significant restrictions on any usage of lands in their range, etc. I believe wolves are a part of a greater plan to end hunting, mining, timber, and even disarm the public.

I am not for hunting wolves in the lower 48, I am for their elimination.

25-Dec-17
Treeline: We are on the same page. NO WOLFS !

25-Dec-17
PA closing archery season for 2 weeks during the peek of the rut.

25-Dec-17
Any state that allows treestands/ground blinds to be left overnight on public land is another that gets to me.

25-Dec-17
You can Upland game in CO from 1/2 hour before sun up (just like everything else) but legal light ends at sundown NOT 1/2 hour after

Can’t hunt pheasants before 10 in South Dakota

The Wy wilderness one is retarded!

So is not hunting on Sunday...dumb!!

25-Dec-17
They limit the amount of heartbeats in your group different areas different limits counts anything with a heartbeat dogs horses mules people

25-Dec-17
You must have your bow in a case during transport.

What do they think is gonna happen? Is it gonna go off accidentally? Ru gonna use it from a moving vehicle?

Smh ?????

26-Dec-17
Many of the states that have no hunting on Sundays are states that were either one of the original 13 colonies or very near that age and it stems from what were called "Blue Laws", or laws based on religion.

When I grew up in New Jersey in the 50's and 60's hunting was prohibited on Sunday's EXCEPT if you were hunting on a pay-to-hunt preserve. Then it was okay. I guess they figured that people with more money to spend didn't need as much soul "saving" as the poorer ones!

The other goofy law they had then was you had to have a fishing license to fish in FRESH water only. If it was salt water then no license required.

26-Dec-17
In Illinois the bow season closes during gun season. Even on private property hunting with a bow during rifle season is illegal unless you have in your possession a gun permit.

Greedy money grab. Just the NR bow permit is about $400.

26-Dec-17
Agree with Treeline. Total crock that you have to have a guide for certain species in Alaska. Same crock o sh.. about the Wyoming wilderness areas too.

26-Dec-17
“Making it illegal to kill Mountain lions and Bobcats in the land of Californication.”

We can still kill Bobcats with a tag...The Mtn Lion ban on not even being able to possess a legally killed cat out of state...Now that’s some BS!!!

26-Dec-17
No hunting on Sunday is the dumbest hunting law their is. WY wilderness is a close second.

You can still hunt bobcats in CA, you just can't trap them or chase them with dogs. You have to call them in or find them and then shoot them. That and the Mt lion ban are both state initiatives brought forth by anti-hunters who lied to the public to get the law passed. If G&F had their way, there'd be a Mt Lion season in CA and they've repeatedly said that there is a sustainable population of lions in CA that can be hunted as they were.

Evidence of sex is a ridiculous law. It's a PIA and doesn't accomplish a damn thing.

The states that require a bow to fire an arrow XXX amount of yards to be legal... really dumb. How are you going to test that in the field safely?

26-Dec-17
Any law that says you can't shoot a crow.

26-Dec-17
my state isnt as bad as many of these laws but we lost our spring bear season thats a pretty stupid law in my mind.

26-Dec-17
I love the irony of Alaska’s nonresident law requiring a guide for sheep, mountain goat, and brown bear in the name of safety especially since I was a resident for nine years as an adult.

Congratulations to the the Alaska giudes association you just put another group of politicians into the pocket of a special interest group.

26-Dec-17
I think all you independent guys should be able to wander anywhere you want without a satellite phone so we can all vote on who should get the "Darwin" award. [Posthumously]

26-Dec-17
I’m with pigsticker . The AK law requiring a NR have a guide for those three is simply a money racket .

26-Dec-17
To clarify the "spike only tag" in Texas mentioned by drycreek: it's even crazier than that.

There is a "deer log" on your license that must be completed with every kill. It allows for one racked buck from 3 different counties and two does, or one racked buck and one spike from the same county (plus two does). Since there aren't really "well marked" county lines, it's pretty easily abused.

I've known a whole bunch of guys that got tickets for their deer log being filled out improperly.

26-Dec-17
“You can Upland game in CO from 1/2 hour before sun up (just like everything else) but legal light ends at sundown NOT 1/2 hour after.”

JakeBrake to me that makes some sense. I have never liked busting up a covey of birds right before total darkness when they are vulnerable to predators.

26-Dec-17
In MN, party hunting is allowed - I don't like it. Gun season is first Saturday in November - don't like that either.

26-Dec-17
Pete,

What makes a guy/gal that lives in Anchorage who has never hunted more qualified to hunt brown bears, grizzly, goats, or sheep than someone that does not live in the state?

Wyoming restricts hunting in Wilderness Areas.

There are absolutely no restrictions for anyone from anywhere to go into the same areas to hike, fish, or just "commune with nature".

I have hunted and fished in Wilderness areas DIY in Alaska, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah as well as hunting in non-wilderness areas of Wyoming with loads of grizzly bears and wolves. Have hunted different species DIY right next to brown bears and goats in Alaska. I have also I have hunted in NWT for Dall Sheep and Caribou and some places in South America that were more remote from a distance to decent medical care than anything in N America. I have been on a few guided hunts and have hunted with a number of guides and outfitters. Typically, I have found that I have at least as much experience and knowledge about how to hunt and stay alive in the woods as any guide and sometimes much more.

There are many, many hunters out there that can absolutely handle the logistics of hunting in wilderness or for various species as well or better than many of the guides and outfitters.

Requiring the use an outfitter to hunt in wilderness or to hunt specific species across the board is very unfair and tilted toward a special interest group as welfare.

26-Dec-17
Treeline don’t let Pete get to you. Looking at his trophy photos it’s obvious he likes someone holding his hand.

26-Dec-17
Treeline, petedrummond is a liberal. To him, reality is of no concern.

26-Dec-17
In NH we have to have our names/address on our arrows. No "corner jumping" to access public land.

26-Dec-17
"I think all you cool high tech guys should be able to wander anywhere you want without a compass so when your phone goes down we can all vote on who should get the "Darwin" award. [Posthumously]"

There...I fixed it for you!

26-Dec-17
Pete Drummond, your comment makes little to no sense at all. It is much more likely that some nimrod from Alaska’s urban would undertake a solo adventure in Alaska than some cheechako from the lower 48. You being from Illinois I could make the assumption that it would be unsafe to hunt alone in mountainous country in any state.

I am retired from the Army with over twenty years of leading people in the dark to hit objectives anywhere that Unckle Sam would have decided to send me. I am a certified Alaska bow hunting instructor, have been to several classes at the Nortern Warfare Training Center at Black Rapids, Ak, and spent the winter of 1978 testing sleeping bags at the Cold Region Test Center at Fort Greeley, AK and I exactly the same chance of a dangerous situation as you do when you go afield. What exactly happens when you live in Anchorage or Fairbanks for a year that prepares you for a trek in the wilderness? Absolutely nothing, and you with your comment advocate limiting the use of public land in which is most of Alaska out of ignorance. Why is it that a nonresident can go backpacking into a bear rich national park and cannot even take a gun for protection? This is not about qualifications or safety this is about you have to pay $20K to go hunt sheep or bear. This is a money game.

Two Bowsiters posted about solo moose hunts with great success and both were nonresidents. The problem with Bowsite is you have people making comments that are either inaccurate or loaded with personal bias.

Many guides and outfitters do not reside in Alaska so how is that the rule only applies to the nonresident hunter. Personally I would be more wary of a float trip for moose with a bow more dangerous than a a sheep hunt having been on both.

26-Dec-17
Federally mandated closures on federal public lands to non residents and non local subsistence users in Alaska in northern caribou hunting areas. 50 inch and 4 brow tine minimums for moose. Many areas the 50/4 rule isn't working. The guide requirements are just a government handout that forces up the price of those hunts.

26-Dec-17
Hands down the Wyoming outfitter welfare law (I mean NR wilderness restriction).

26-Dec-17
Another vote for Wyo nonres wilderness guide law and Alaska nonres guide law.

I grew up in Wyo and can't hunt the same areas I hunted as a greenhorn kid without a guide. Same thing could happen to an Alaska res if he moves away from Alaska! Total hogwash! If Wyo and Alaska is so concerned about the safety of it's nonres hunters it ought to offer a class that must be passed to hunt irregardless of wilderness or species!

26-Dec-17
for Oklahoma the following;

Crossbow inclusion into archery only seasons

10 day Holiday Doe only season (in combination with online check in)

but hey every todler under the age of 4 needs opportunities to kill deer am I right?

26-Dec-17
It is selective. Probably the no hunting on Sunday is the worst but I think you could find stupid laws in almost any state. My state, Tennessee, has two that are completely without scientific or biological basis. One does no harm but accomplishes nothing. It slightly handicaps the hunter who hunts totally public land. The other renders our kill data, 80-90% without validation. In other words, useless. That has the potential to be dangerous. But here is the thing. A dumb law in one state, may well be a great one in another. So, it depends on where you live.

26-Dec-17
The Alaska guide Reg. Here is a hands down example of it being exclusionary and biased. I worked as an assistant Guide for an outfitter did that for 5-6 years. After this I jumped through all of the hoops and took the test and was given my Guide outfitter license. This allowed me to book hunters,Guide and also hire other assistant guides for me. But because I was still a nonresident I could not hunt Guide Required species alone. As bad as this law is I still wouldn’t rock the boat as I can see those switched back to resident only for many species.

26-Dec-17
How about here in MA where I can shoot a fox or bobcat with an elephant gun but it is illegal to shoot them with Dead Coyote shot shells. Apparently the shot size is too big for them.

26-Dec-17
Spike- There is valid reason for that law and it is in many states.

26-Dec-17
^^^^What's the valid reason?

26-Dec-17
Wilderness guide requirement-WYO x 10.

Since that is my number, my number 2 is no corner crossing. Not so much a hunting law, but it creams my corn.

26-Dec-17
"^^What's the valid reason?"

To keep people from hunting turkeys, deer or waterfowl with shot larger than state minimums and claiming they are coyote hunting. And yes, it happen...often.

26-Dec-17
What's to keep the same people from shooting deer and turkeys with a rifle and saying they're coyote hunting?

Not being a smart ass just doesn't make sense to me.

26-Dec-17
Seasons. Can't hunt ducks or turkeys out of season...but you can hunt them with buckshot...which is not legal and say you are coyote hunting. Happens all the time, same with lead shot. In some states, you can shoot turkeys with a rifle. Is that good law?

26-Dec-17
Bowriter if that’s the case then I can predator hunt with my bow but then I could also be deer hunting out of season.

26-Dec-17
I dont think we have coyote and turkey season overlap here in MA Bowriter? Fall turkey might be close, but spring definitely Coyotes are off limits (Now there, is a funny game law here in MA, coyote season closes around the end of March and starts up again around November).

Not being contradictory, just not sure that the shot size issue applies in this case?

Then again, Buckshot is still legal here during deer SG season (personally I'd like to see that ditched), but, when bear season was opened up for an extra bit of time during deer SG season, it was decided that you can not shoot a bear with buck - only slugs. I actually spoke to a guy who's bear was taken away for that - he had a slug in the chamber and buck for follow up, a common practice by some still in the NE, and the guy shot the bear with the slug, and took a follow up with the buck. Warden said "no buck" and took the bear and ticketed the guy!

That all said, the CT law about sunset end to deer season when anything else can be hunted until 30' after is frustrating, though I admit it makes my walk out easier :)

26-Dec-17
In Alabama you can legally feed deer during season but the feed has to be at least one hundred yards from stand and out of sight of hunter. Passed two years ago and effectively allows baiting for gun hunters.

26-Dec-17
No Sunday hunting. No corner jumping. Federal protections on crows because they are 'migratory' birds.

26-Dec-17
come up to Canada shoot polar bear and you cannot bring them back with you

26-Dec-17
In Mississippi, you can use your weapon of choice (think 30-06) during the 'primitive' weapon season on all private lands....as long as you buy the primitive weapon license.

26-Dec-17
Virginia: Illegal to waterfowl hunt within 500 yards of a licensed waterfowl blind.

.. ..

.. .. .

Well, in eastern Virginia, and most river banks, you can't see 500 yards through the brush and undergrowth - AND - it is a licensed BLIND !!!! BLIND !!!!! - Camouflaged so you CAN"T SEE IT !!!!!!!

That, and many other waterfowl regulations, prohibit me from hunting waterfowl, because an honest mistake and a ticket could cost me my security clearance, and thus my job.

26-Dec-17
South Carolina Deer regulations (coastal region): Season runs August 15-January 1 with ANY weapon. No separate archery season. Legal shooting hours ONE HOUR before sunrise until ONE HOUR AFTER SUNSET. Baiting and hunting with dogs both legal. Limit until this year was TWO BUCKS A DAY all season. No antler restrictions.

All game laws go through the general legislature. When we finally passed a 5 buck per season restriction it nearly caused an uproar. Amazing.

26-Dec-17
No Sunday Hunting here in PA is not only the dumbest but also the most restrictive and with the most negative effect on hunting.

26-Dec-17
Xbow in archery season and muzzleloader laws that do not put limits on the modern developments which have made many muzzleloaders essentially one shot CF rifles.

26-Dec-17
Waterfowl hunting has a LOT of them. I guess some of that is because there's Federal as well as state laws involved. Years ago I was in a "poor man's" duck club where we had a series of ponds along the Illinois River backwaters. We had to be REAL careful that we didn't have ANYTHING that could be construed as bait anywhere near the blinds. The club owners went as far as to tell us to be careful about even knocking down weeds when we dressed the blinds for fear that the weed seeds would float on top and the airborn feds who patrolled the area would bust the club. But yet the "rich man's" club that bordered us on the north had STANDING CORNFIELDS that they left unharvested and then flooded the week before the season started after which they put floating blinds out. THAT was perfectly legal.

Go figger........

27-Dec-17
Wearing a huge deer tag or license plate on your back.

27-Dec-17
I agree Sunday ban is dumb, but consider what would happen if it suddenly was allowed, how much would it increase deer kill? Can the herd in state "x" handle it? Would it require shortening the overall season to account for it? No good deed goes unpunished, law of unintended consequences etc.

27-Dec-17
I'm going to add a very close second vote...or even tie for the crossbow inclusion in Wisconsin (they were previously allowed for certain ages/physical limitations). Visiting for the holidays and been to two shops. $2,000 crossbows...easy 100 yard groups down this aisle sir.

27-Dec-17
banning fall archery turkey in Arkansas - when the numbers starting declining, that's the first thing AG&F did .... and yet statistics showed only like 0.5 % of the total kill was taken in the fall

just stupid

27-Dec-17
Deer numbers are managed by doe tag allocations here in Pa. Which could easily be adjusted if legalizing Sunday hunting meant too many more of them would be filled... but I doubt that would happen in most wmu's. I had 6 Pa deer tags this year. Pa's hunter numbers are down 200,000 recently, and they had no problem making the adjustment for that WHILE they reduced the deer herd statewide.

No Sunday hunting is retarded!

27-Dec-17
in TN, we can't hunt or shoot a deer within a 250 yard radius of a feeder or bait pile. even if that feeder is on the ad jointing property. it is said that this amounts to 40 acres of unhunt able land. so if the neighbor places a feeder right at the property line, you can't hunt your own land for 250 yards from that feeder, this cuts out approx. 20 acres of huntable land.

27-Dec-17
Love the thread....WY corner jumping. ..I can fly a kite or an airplane, but that leg sure was an infringement. ..aNd NR wilderness. Haven't seen NM entire draw system mentioned. ..especially the year they changed mid-draw and had zero NR sheep tags after $3k+ application. Lastly in GA not allowed to snare unless 3ft from water....people put water bottles w/in 3 ft...

27-Dec-17
You can't hunt pheasants before noon in SD unless they changed it to 10:00?

27-Dec-17
^^Thornton, I thought that was only like opening weekend. I'm pretty sure it's earlier than that - 9am maybe.

27-Dec-17
I was born & raised in Alaska. I hunted Dall sheep since age 12, moved out of state at age 30. Now I apparently I don't know how to keep myself safe while hunting sheep, goats or griz in Alaska so need to hire a guide, that as pointed out above, doesn't even need to be an Alaskan resident. Guaranteed to have less Alaskan hunting experience than I do. Call it what it is: Guide/Outfitter welfare. Just like WY Wilderness and NM Guide/Outfitter application pool. It's all about $.

27-Dec-17
MS- no minimum weight on bows and no minimum caliber on firearms (this means it is legal to hunt a deer with a .22 caliber rifle or handgun). How ridiculous is that?

27-Dec-17
SD pheasant hunting hours start at 12:00 noon the first 7 days and then 10:00 am the rest of the season. We just hunt sharptails until 10:00am, wasn't a bad compromise.

27-Dec-17
Hey LINK So no other animal is vulnerable to predators that time of day?

I stick with my idea that it’s a dumb law

27-Dec-17
Forgot about the corner jumping law...hands down the dumbest one I’ve ever heard of.

Also not baiting or using dogs in CO for bears...and they wonder why there are so many bears (many being killed by land owners ans game officials from private corn fields and other areas ( you never hear about most of the kils).

Lots of hunters would be happy to have those bears to hunt over a bait site

Stupid!!!

28-Dec-17
Love the thread....WY corner jumping. ..I can fly a kite or an airplane, but that leg sure was an infringement. ..aNd NR wilderness. Haven't seen NM entire draw system mentioned. ..especially the year they changed mid-draw and had zero NR sheep tags after $3k+ application. Lastly in GA not allowed to snare unless 3ft from water....people put water bottles w/in 3 ft...

28-Dec-17
Lots of Fish and Game laws here in NJ. No hunting on Sunday as mentioned seems outdated. But not being able to go out and get some clams on a Sunday with your family makes no sense to me. Especially when your allowed to fish or crab.

• Sitka Gear