EmbryOklahoma 26-Jan-18
WRO 26-Jan-18
Will tell 26-Jan-18
JackPine Acres 26-Jan-18
Paul@thefort 26-Jan-18
Lark Bunting 27-Jan-18
tundrajumper 28-Jan-18
19-Jan-18
I like to partake In a drink or two on Fri night and most nights will drink jack,crown,or maker's but tonight I had the pleasure of having some angels envy realllllllly smooooth a little sweat but I really liked it!! What say you whiskey drinkers have you tried and what do you think?

19-Jan-18
I like to partake In a drink or two on Fri night and most nights will drink jack,crown,or maker's but tonight I had the pleasure of having some angels envy realllllllly smooooth a little sweat but I really liked it!! What say you whiskey drinkers have you tried and what do you think?

19-Jan-18
Late Harvest Crown Royal. It's like an Angel peeing on your tongue!

19-Jan-18
Did you say whiskey?? Tried it once in Alaska.. Hunt

19-Jan-18
Larceny bourbon ?? and Blanton hard to beat stay thirsty Lewis

19-Jan-18

Buckhunter's embedded Photo
Buckhunter's embedded Photo

19-Jan-18
I'm a man of simple tastes I guess, Jim Beam or George Dickle for me.

19-Jan-18
Bulleit bourbon for me.

19-Jan-18
Any good bourbon is what I like...but I quit drinking last May.

19-Jan-18
Bulleit Rye

19-Jan-18
Knob Creek man here. Although I have three bottles of Bulliet on the shelf.

19-Jan-18
and a small bottle bitters and cherries......an Old fashioned made with snow in the mountains

19-Jan-18
I prefer single malt scotch whiskey. My go-to is Balvenie 12 year, the Double Wood. It's excellent. Costs about $38 a bottle at Trader Joe's. Most liquor stores have it well north of $50/bottle. I also really like Oban 14 year. A less expensive scotch that is a great buy, IMO, is Glenlivet 12 year. Costs a lot less and it's very smooth. Around Christmas, you can often find a gift pack of a bottle of 12, 15, and 18 year Glenlivet with 2 Glenlivet glasses for $100. It's an absolute steal and I get two (which is typically the max) whenever I see it.

When I drink Bourbon, which is whenever the need arises, I prefer Maker's Mark.

I like fine beers, wines, and liquors. But I know where I came from and will drink the cheap stuff without complaining.

Life is too good to complain about the drink poured for you.

Cheers,

Ike

19-Jan-18
Sipping some Knob Creek right now. But Angels Envy is a fantastic bourbon!

19-Jan-18
X2 for Larceny.....my favorite by far.....love me some wheated bourbon. W.L Weller Special Reserve, Evan Williams 1783, some good smooth drinking with a splash of water or an ice cube.

19-Jan-18
And for scotch....AMEN to the Balvenie Double Wood.......damn......don't have any and now I'm thirsty.......

19-Jan-18
I have been drinking some New Holland out of Michigan. It’s aged in beer barrels and is really smooth.

19-Jan-18
I really do enjoy Jameson. I will say Trevor and I shared some Wild Turkey in AZ last week and it was really good. Granted I didn’t have to worry about misplacing Trevor in any of those pesky wheel barrow beds.

19-Jan-18
Crown. It’s all about the Crown!

19-Jan-18
Sipping some makers mark right now!!!

19-Jan-18
Sipping Crown here

Cheers!

20-Jan-18
I like Makers, but drink Ancient Age now that I am retired. I drank Ancient Age last night. Tonight I drank berry detox tea.

20-Jan-18
Gentlemen Jack and Crown...

20-Jan-18
Woodford reserve double oaked, Blantons, Angels Envy, Willett. There are so many good bourbons its hard to pick just one. I do have a special bottle of Woodford Reserve from the masters collection that I'm waiting to open. Its made from cherry wood smoked barley. Got lucky and was at the liquor store when they got just 1 bottle of it.

20-Jan-18
Had some Bulleit last night for the first time.....damn good!

20-Jan-18
A little "sweat"??? Why would you know what sweat tastes like?

Have been drinking bourbon for over 50 years and I still like Beam, Knob Creek a little more, but think Makers leaves a bad taste. Have never even heard of Angel's Envy. Will have to look for some.

20-Jan-18
Mostly makers , four roses is nice , worth a try if you haven't.

20-Jan-18
My poison is Crown.

20-Jan-18
I used to like Jack, but I haven't drank liquor since '83. Beer only, or wine if I made it. I don't really see what this has to do with bowhunting, but I'll play along.

-Joe

20-Jan-18
For those of you liking Bulleit try Four Roses try single barrel and try their small batch

20-Jan-18
I prefer some good clear corn whiskey. But I have been known to sip on some Beam with a splash of coke. Stay thirsty my friends

20-Jan-18
Well, theres this spiced honey mead wine ive been REALLY into lately....

20-Jan-18
Please take 'stick n string' to the pit of misery! Dilly Dilly! (grin)

ElkNut/Paul

20-Jan-18

boman's embedded Photo
boman's embedded Photo
Strsnahan's Colorado Whiskey.

20-Jan-18
Anyone a fan of that Japanese stuff?

I saw it at Bev mo when buying some whisky for our Montana elk hunt [my one buddy is a whisky buff]. I did Four roses small batch, Tin cup 10yr and Woodford res barrel select.

They all tasted pretty close to the same to me.....my buddy of course would slash my throat if he heard me say that.

20-Jan-18
Beendare, I've had a few different Hibiki's and they're good, but for the price, they're no better than their scottish counterparts.

20-Jan-18
boman, my oldest daughter and husband live in Denver. My SIL wanted me to try some Stranahans so we went to the liquer store but once he saw the price, we left with Tin Cup...lol.

20-Jan-18
Midwest, I got my first bottle from a company I was contracting to with a letter asking me to come back to work for them. It was good whiskey and I've been drinking it ever since. In all fairness it wasn't good enough to get me to go back though.

20-Jan-18
Midwest, I got my first bottle from a company I was contracting to with a letter asking me to come back to work for them. It was good whiskey and I've been drinking it ever since. In all fairness it wasn't good enough to get me to go back though.

20-Jan-18
Anyone heard of 40 creek whiskey? The guy we turkey hunt on in Texas loves him some 40 creek.

20-Jan-18
I have been enjoying four roses a lot. Small batch and single barrel. Buffalo trace is great as well!

Recently I got a bottle of Oban and it is great. I haven’t quite grown to love scotch yet.

20-Jan-18
These whiskey threads are the most honest and civil threads on Bowsite... and for good reason. Ed F

20-Jan-18
The question has not been answered. HAve you ever tried angles envy and what do you think?

20-Jan-18
Crown is definitely good, but dont get stuck on it. Far too many really good whiskeys out there! Most Buffalo Trace products, anything Weller, Elmer T Lee, if you can get your hands on a Kentucky Owl Rye..... you’ll thank me.

20-Jan-18
I mostly drink Jack. Gentleman Jack is much smoother and I like it straight up. I'm not a fan of Angels Envy, might as well have a wine cooler. I wouldn't drink Angels Envy again - even if it was free. I was given a few bottles the last month and really like both Elijah Craig and Breckenridge. The Breck's finish lasts a long time. JMO

21-Jan-18
Old Grandad 114 has been my favorite for years.

21-Jan-18

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Saturday nights are Pendleton nights

21-Jan-18
I've had a few bottles of Angels Envy and I like it very much. It's kind of pricey though. Mostly, I drink bourbon in plastic bottles, the cheap stuff. I'd say Henry McKenna is the best cheap whiskey out there and it's in glass. :)

21-Jan-18
All you Crown drinkers will switch once you have tried Forty Creek

21-Jan-18
I quit whiskey,but liked new straitsville moonshine before I quit.also jack Daniels number 7.

21-Jan-18
"Late Harvest Crown Royal. It's like an Angel peeing on your tongue!"

Haha I just spit all over my computer well done.

My favorite is 18 year Jameson.

21-Jan-18
So many threads about drinking lately. I think you guys may have some problems...

21-Jan-18
I like good beer, but am new to whiskey. I picked up some knob creek and pentleton a couple weeks ago after the last whiskey thread. I prefer the Pendleton by quite a margin. I could hardly drink the knob without quivering :)

21-Jan-18
Skinner Creek is right! While hunting with Doug I had the pleasure of trying it and it is REALLY good and a great value. Went home and bought 3-4 bottles :)

21-Jan-18
To me whiskey was always a rough drink.guess I never really enjoyed it like beer.

21-Jan-18
Sitting here with two fingers of GEORGE DICKEL.

21-Jan-18
Where's our "Kodiak Slaughter" boys? They should be able to chime in on whiskey. :)

21-Jan-18
Rick, if it's brown (or clear) it's down;)

22-Jan-18
I like to vary the pallet. My problem is I'll have like 9 started bottles. Well not a problem, I quite enjoy it. I don't enjoy drinking the same thing over and over most times. So I rotate through a healthy variety. If I've had a favourite over time it would be Spicebox. Maybe too girly of a whisky but I like it. For those who enjoy crown Seagrams 83 is really good. I don't know if they have it everywhere, but it's essentially the Crown cast-offs. All made right here in Manitoba.

22-Jan-18
I'm trying to figure out if it is a problem or a badge of honor that I have tried most of the whiskeys/whiskys listed on this thread?

22-Jan-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Usually just a little Jack for me but I have been known to partake in Crown, Jim Beam, Jamison, Wild Turkey and Gentleman Jack...

22-Jan-18

22-Jan-18
Jameson Black Barrel for the win.

24-Jan-18
Crown Royal Salted Caramel on ice with a splash of water

24-Jan-18
Old NO 7

24-Jan-18
Jack Daniels is looking for tasters.

If you’re lucky enough to be chosen then you will get a FREE bottle of the good stuff so you can taste it and try and describe the tasting notes in a review you will have to send in.

If you’re thinking of waiting until the end of Dry January to apply then you’ll be just in time, as the deadline for the application is Tuesday, January 31.

24-Jan-18
Buffler Trace

24-Jan-18
BOWHUNTR, to be honest, none. IMO, hard liquor sucks. Guess I'm the odd one out. Give me a few good draughts, or maybe a quality smooth red, or occasional white but you can keep the hard stuff, thanks, and the company of those who have too much of it...just saying. Not into either.

24-Jan-18
TrapperKayak I hear you. That’s why I enjoy collecting. I have more than 60 good bourbons on hand right now and have never been drunk in my life. Not even close. I will always be in control nor ever give my family a reason for embarrassment. And no, I don’t think that makes me better than anyone else. Just a personal choice. You can enjoy a drink without all the drama.

24-Jan-18
I'm with Steve. Enjoy hard liquor and wine both but never to the point of embarrassment for me or my family. Bowen's whiskey, High West Double Rye, Pendleton, Buffalo Trace, Crown...just a few of my favorites.

24-Jan-18
My old landlord I had in college was 90 years old and loved whiskey. When he had a project he needed help with he would show up with a bottle for my roommate and I. He would say "boys I got a job for you and as soon as we finish this bottle we are going to get after it!" He had some great one liners and the drunker he would get the better. A couple of my favorites were "I would never hit my wife but boys there are days I wish there was some place I could take her to have it done." "Boys, money won't buy you love but it will buy you something so close to it that you can't tell the difference." Man I miss him and often times when I am having a whiskey I think of him. I think of him often!

24-Jan-18
There was an old car upholstery guy years back that was very good at convertible car tops. The more he drank the better he got. Don’t know if any of you remember Wkrp when they did a sobriety test on Johnny Fever. The more he drank the better his reaction time got.

24-Jan-18
I normally drink Blue Moon beer. On those occasions where it’s harder, I stick to Vanilla Crown cut with water.

24-Jan-18
I like Woodford Reserve.........or whatever is available!

24-Jan-18
There is a lot of great whiskeys out there right now. Except scotch. Whiskey is supposed to be made with corn, not barley. Angel Envy is great but my favorite right now is Basil Haydens. I generally prefer a wheat based bourbon like Makers or Blantons but BH is made with corn and rye instead of wheat. It is really good and unbelievably smooth for a part rye bourbon.. That Canadian blended stuff is alright but you really need to try one of the better quality bourbons. Bourbon is the best. It's interesting to read these posts and see so many different tastes.

24-Jan-18
Good old WV moonshine

24-Jan-18

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
This one is even legal!

24-Jan-18
Drinking Canadian Mist with my brother and nephew while shooting pool at the house tonight. It has been a long time, decades, since my brother and I have shot pool together!

24-Jan-18

gobbler's embedded Photo
This one is even legal!
gobbler's embedded Photo
This one is even legal!

25-Jan-18
Regular Crown Royal for me

25-Jan-18
gobbler, if I drank that stuff I'd end up sideways too. Beav, in college our dorm director who's name was Robert Carpenter (we called him Carpy), used to imbibe quite frequently (I think to get away from his wife who often came out of their apartment yelling at him). The guy was hilarious, and after nights out with my buds playing foosball and beers, we'd come back to the dorm and Carpy would be waiting for us. Talk about entertainment, he's have us in tears most every time. side splitting laughter, and he used to egg us on, offer shots, and come down to our rooms when we were partying and spray glade under our doors to get rid of the 'smell' coming out into the halls from within. hahahaha. I miss that guy too. I think the main reason I don't touch liquor now is because I did in HS and college...

25-Jan-18
I write a column in my local newspaper. My most recent one was about moonshine whiskey. I will post it below. Just remember, my byline quote is" There's a tiny element of truth in ALMOST everything I say"

Moonshine

So lately I’ve been pondering this stuff they call “moonshine”. Call it what you like, bootleg, moonshine, untaxed spirits, white lightnin’ or mountain dew, it gets people’s attention. People who don’t even drink perk up their ears at the very mention of it. There have been Hollywood movies made, books and songs written about it, and even an entire genre’ of auto racing grew up around the moonshine culture. George Washington himself had to squelch a rebellion over liquor tax, and Elliot Ness found himself fighting the flow of mountain dew into Chicago from the Blue Ridge, as well as Canadian product across the border. It’s rumored that Junior Johnson, Curtis Turner, and many of NACAR’s founding legends started out smuggling trunk loads of bootleg booze in a souped-up Oldsmobile, Ford, Dodge or Chevy. I get asked about the stuff pretty often, especially when folks find out where I’m from.

You see I was born and raised in Franklin County Virginia, the self-proclaimed “moonshine capital of the world”. Of course there’s also a county in Arkansas, and one in Missouri which claim this title, and I’m betting there’s at least one in each in West Virginia, Kentucky, Alabama and Tennessee that deserves it even if they don’t claim it. Still, Franklin County has a strong case for being the tops, numerically. In substantiating evidence, it’s claimed that during the height of Prohibition, the tiny town of Rocky Mount Virginia, consumed more sugar than the City of Boston Massachusetts. That’s a lot of sugar, cookies. Part of the reason for the Franklin county claim to the top spot is that a lot, a tremendous lot, of the flow of spirits into Chicago which Mr. Ness was trying to staunch, originated in Franklin County Virginia. During Prohibition folks in the Windy City knew all about the Rural Appalachians and their locally produced products. It seems that the Franklin County Sherriff, and the Commonwealth’s Attorney were involved in arranging for the export of the stuff during those wild times. As strange as it seems, even though I was raised in a Blue Ridge foothills farm community, in the very nexus of “the wettest county in the World”, I know very little about the stuff. Oh I’ve seen pictures of stills, and read all the books, even seen a couple of the movies, and I still watch NASCAR races, but as to moonshine, I’ve never seen or tasted any, I swear. I have a vague idea that it starts with corn, uses sugar, runs through copper, sits in a mason jar, and ends up in the State Penitentiary, but that’s about it. I long ago decided that since like my corn as unsweetened cornbread, my mason jars filled with tomatoes, and I’m way to pretty to go to “the Pen”, I’d better just avoid that ole white liquor entirely. So why do I ponder and pontificate on a subject I have no knowledge or personal experience about? How am I even remotely qualified? Well folks the answer is simple. It’s the same reason Jess Carr sold so many copies of his book “The Moonshiners”, the same reason folks in ‘58’ turned out to see Robert Mitchum in “Thunder Road” and folks in 2012 turned out to see Tom Hardy in “Lawless”. It’s that people are fascinated by the subject. At least, unlike Mr. Mitchum, Mr. Hardy, and Mr. Carr, even though I know next to nothing about it, at least I was born in Franklin County. That and a dollar oughtta be worth a cup of coffee. I’ll take cream and no sugar in mine thanks.

25-Jan-18
Crown drinkers try Weiser my wife likes it better than crown I’m a bourbon ?? guy stay thirsty all Lewis

25-Jan-18
My camp isn't the same without buffalo trace, just became a tradition a few years back. One year when it ran out I went to the Utah state store in town and the gal there talked me into trying Pendleton which was nice but a little on the sweet side. For sipping at home and for friends that stop by, I'll bring out a bottle of Rendezvous Rye.

Have to say that the best bottle of whisky I ever drank was Royal Lochnagar to celebrate finalizing my divorce with some close friends. :^) I had picked it up early in the marriage with a mind to open it for a significant event (Cost $100 in 1990 when I passed through Heathrow). I can't afford that stuff now, but it sure was worth the wait.

Cheers!

26-Jan-18
Auchentosan has some relatively inexpensive, good scotch. It does not compare to the Lagavulin 16 year old stuff but little does. for bourbon, Slaughterhouse is a favorite, as are the Leupold Brothers Colorado versions. There are a ton of craft bourbons out now which makes it easy to try a new one each trip. Pappy Van Winkle, at least the few glasses I've had, were very smooth, too, and lived up to the hype.

26-Jan-18
With very few exceptions, is there really a bad whiskey?? I do like the Rye's!

26-Jan-18
If anyone on this thread wants to come to Oklahoma and hunt hogs with me, I can be bribed with whiskey. :)

26-Jan-18
Stein Bourbon and Rye are hard to beat..

26-Jan-18
I used to drink tequila when I was a young pup. Went on a binge that lasted a year and pretty much quit drinking after that.lol

26-Jan-18
Wild turkey 101.

26-Jan-18
Bourbon and branch, minus the bourbon. I hunt solo so there is no one to help me down the mountain or back to camp, or even to wake me up in the morning, if needed.

27-Jan-18
Bought some Bulleit today since it was time to stock up. I had never had it and read a lot of suggestions in this thread.

Is this a punch line to a bad joke?

It honestly has a brussle sprout after taste.

??

28-Jan-18
Don't drink much, but when having a beer, I like to have a shot of Alaskan duck fart.

• Sitka Gear