bghunter 21-Jan-18
jerrynocam 22-Jan-18
Bob H in NH 22-Jan-18
loesshillsarcher 22-Jan-18
loesshillsarcher 22-Jan-18
TSI 22-Jan-18
bghunter 22-Jan-18
21-Jan-18
We all know hunting is not getting any cheaper. I would like to try and book a hunt but it would need to be about 2 to 3 years out. How do you deal with outfitters or booking agents with down payments and making payments towards the hunt ? I have never booked a hunt that far out before and a little nervous about it

21-Jan-18
Shawn, usually a small deposit eg. $500 would hold and guarantee your spot and date, but some expensive hunts like a sheep, moose or brown bear hunt may be up to 50%. There should be a contract involved also even for a not too expensive hunt. That is how we do it.

21-Jan-18
My $.02, don't do it that far out! I would only do 1 year at most!

21-Jan-18
bear track, Thank you

21-Jan-18
i have had no problem booking hunts 2 and even three years out. talk to the outfitter or booking agent. In some cases you will be able to book at current prices. Get everything in writing and get your deposit in.

21-Jan-18
It is not the outfitters responsibility to lock down a spot on the cheap and be on the hook if something in your life changes. Either be prepared to lose The deposit or buy insurance. If an outfitter gives you a break great but you can’t book expecting it

21-Jan-18

skinner creek's Link
I take a $500 deposit and then ask for the rest of the deposit 1 year in advance of the hunt. I find a lot of things can happen in 2 or 3 years and I don't want the hunter to lose to uch if thing change in their life and they can not make it.

21-Jan-18
I got HOSED on a Alberta Black Bear hunt and a Artic Musk Ox hunt that I had given deposits to had to postpone due to operations. Make your own "hunt account" and when you get enough pull the trigger.

21-Jan-18
All things being in order(Hunter's has/can get needed time off for hunt/ Hunter's health and/or family health), I think the pre-hunt booking time depends on desired animal to hunt and desired outfitter and outfitter's openings per year.

I have booked hunts 2 yrs in advance and gotten insurance to protect my investment. A 50% deposit is a normal required deposit.

21-Jan-18
Alot can happen in 3yrs!

21-Jan-18
Thank you for all the advice. I agree alot can happen in 2 to 3 years, and it is a gamble. In the same respect when I try to save for a trip it seems I spend the money somewhere else. Just looking for options

22-Jan-18
I agree with Buffalo1, I’ve booked several hunts up to two years in advance and took out insurance. My last trip to Africa was booked two years out thru Bowhunting Safari Consultants, my hunting partner and I did take out insurance. 60 days before the hunt my friend died from a heart attack. His wife got all the money we had paid back without going through the insurance including the airfare. I could have used the insurance and got my money back too but decided to go anyway and BSC also had offered to rebook me for another time. I think most reputable companies would work with you if the reason for canceling was valid by either rebooking you or refunding your money if they could find someone to take your place.

22-Jan-18
Many outfitters, the good ones, are often booked out over a year. Any that aren't I start asking questions.

Get a contract that explains the "outs"

22-Jan-18
Lots of times I can book with a down payment of 1k to 2k. Lots of times the outfitter wants to have half paid for by the year before the hunt. Hope this helps.

22-Jan-18
Lots of times I can book with a down payment of 1k to 2k. Lots of times the outfitter wants to have half paid for by the year before the hunt. Hope this helps.

22-Jan-18
Bob some outfitters don’t like booking that far out as financially things are fluid and costs rise and fall.Committing that far out can be risky for the Outfitter. Suggesting only the good ones are booked beyond a year is debatable and I would suggest is a broad brush.Keep in mind it’s often confused.Some outfitters only service a few clients vs some that services hundreds.Judging quality simply based on being booked several years out may limit your access to some great outfits. For example I know an outfitter that’s booked 5yrd ahead but only sells 3 hunts per year and has limited success.I also know one that books 70-100 per year and has tremendous success but is not fully booked beyond a year. Painting the outfitters with this theory is problematic as it does not apply most of the time.

22-Jan-18
Thank you for all the information. Like was mentioned in another posts hunt cost are getting crazy and I would like to try and arrange for a "dream hunt " somewhere in the next few years

• Sitka Gear