midwest 01-Feb-18
ahunter55 01-Feb-18
Cheesehead Mike 02-Feb-18
ahunter55 02-Feb-18
petedrummond 02-Feb-18
MNRazorhead 02-Feb-18
21-Jan-18
To the aging Bowsiters:

What's your plan when you 'hang it up'? As we age, is there someone that you want to pass it on to? Got kids to give all the bows and hunting gear to? Do they want it? Going to donate it? Sell it?

All the stuff that has gathered sure can be worth something.

Whats your plan after you 'hang it up'?

21-Jan-18
My daughter wants ALL of my guns and bows. And they will be hers to do what she sees fit.

21-Jan-18
Dibs on brads elk spots that are close to the road and never seem to be very steep!!!

I have a ways to go before I can answer that questions, or at least I sure hope so!

21-Jan-18
Never quitting going out shooting.

) >>>>——>

Wife will have a garage sale. Pennies on the dollar most likely .

21-Jan-18
I'm 73, this day may be near for me. I have already started giving stuff away,...some of it very highly highly collectable. Will do more of it I know. Also will make up a list for my wife of who I want to get what. Maybe some value there in what I have. A lot of memorabilia though of value only to me. The memories are priceless!

21-Jan-18
I turn 40 this year. I'm an aging Bowsiter.

22-Jan-18
I will be 78 next month and a year ago my wife stated, "Paul if you get hit my a bus tomorrow, I will have to take care of all of this stuff". Opened my eyes, so some of the stuff is getting retired here and there. Trophies on the wall, do know know yet. my best, Paul

22-Jan-18
Just had # 75 and still collecting and improving...planning more hunts than ever.....I will go out screaming !!

Joe

22-Jan-18

ahunter55's embedded Photo
I'm 76 & go under the knife at the VA Tuesday morning. I have an adult son that is an accomplished archer/bowhunter now & anything archery & mounts will go to him. We just visited the other night & told him when spring comes I'm bringing him my full mount Bear. Fortunately, the home he built himself is kinda like a Lodge inside & they will look great & he has the room. He has 2 Caribou, Elk, Whitetail Buck & some Euros of his own already. Hopefully I go out shooting/bowhunting.

22-Jan-18
Oh Brad....were you reading my mind on my birthday this year? Grin. I turned 60....I don't recognize the guy in the mirror anymore.

I never thought about it until this year... My thoughts are that I have another 10-15 years or so of the rough DIY backcountry hunts....and I don't want to spend it in OTC elk units.

22-Jan-18
Mr Law, good luck on your surgery. I'm looking forward to hearing about your next hunt. And thank you for your service to our country.

22-Jan-18
61 next month. I don't plan on hanging it up.

.. ..

.. ..

I may have to go down in poundage again, but as long as I draw a breath, arrows will be going down range.

22-Jan-18
A preemptive plan for me: I have sworn off of taxidermy. So, I am not accumulating a legacy of unwieldy mounts. - Maybe a euro or two from now on but, I hope to leave my bereaved with little more than a stack of pictures and a handful of gear. The pictures mean the most, anyway. And, given she doesn't have to climb a ladder to dust a photo album, my wife is likely to remember me more fondly.:) Kids will get to divvy up the gear as they see fit.

22-Jan-18
I’m taking my stuff with me ??

22-Jan-18
Im with wyliecoyote. I'll go out kicking and screaming. Paul@thefort you are a true inspiration. So long as I have my health I will be with bow in hand.

When I cant, my hunting gear and mounts will go to me son and grand kids.

22-Jan-18
Turned 71 in November. None of the kids or grandkids hunt, so haven't decided what to do with my equipment.

22-Jan-18
When I stop hunting and shooting I plan on staring at a metal silk lined casket cover from the inside... for at least a few years anyway

22-Jan-18
Reading this post I am going to buy a triple cemetery plot and take all my stuff with me. Want to be buried with my bow on my chest....might need on the other side.

22-Jan-18
I just Re-did my Trust after my divorce last year and retiring 12/31/17.

I did leave a few items of value to my Ex as I felt 30 years together had some value towards Karma.

I spread my chit out amoungst my Son Robbie, my Daughter Anne Marie and some close friends.

Good luck, Robb

22-Jan-18
Reading this post I am going to buy a triple cemetery plot and take all my stuff with me. Want to be buried with my bow on my chest....might need on the other side.

22-Jan-18
Difficult subject, Brad. There is more than hunting stuff that will need to be unloaded around here.

I think of my own parents. So much of their home means so much to me, yet I won't be able to accept it all into my pile of Earthly belongings -- just from a practical standpoint.

From Dad (Mom is still alive) I have a few things. Tools (practical, not sentimental), a ring, and a rifle. I'm sure he'd like to see me using his roll-top desk, and perhaps one day I'll find room for that.

My boys will have their pick of stuff, but I don't expect them to warehouse a Museum of Dad. I don't expect a shrine somewhere.

22-Jan-18
garage sale

22-Jan-18

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
this guy is my legacy

22-Jan-18
Viking funeral...

22-Jan-18
"Viking Funeral"

That happened yesterday

22-Jan-18
I'm 66. Took filled my tags this year, going elk hunting next year. No plans to hang it up until my body is cold. My daughter will get everything

22-Jan-18
Never thought about all my crap, just knew someday I wouldn't be able to draw a bow or lug duck decoys around in the mud anymore. When that time comes I'll either keep my old trusty stuff on the wall like a set of antlers as a reminder of the good old days, or give it all to the kids.

22-Jan-18
My state's minimum is 30 pounds. I'll hunt until I can't do that anymore. Then I'll sell all my stuff which will probably be close to worthless, unless one of my boys wants it. I'll then go fishing or take up the muzzleloader.

22-Jan-18
I'm hoping to see posts from you guys with the hero shots from your centennial birthdays! If you go a few years later, feel free to bequeath some gps coordinates to my kids.

22-Jan-18

Will tell's embedded Photo
Will tell's embedded Photo
When I first started hunting I used a 63 pound Hill longbow. I'm now shootings a 40 pound longbow and some self bows. I'm slowly getting rid of my bows that I can't shoot anymore. I have enough equipment for two more lifetimes. Il probally sell three bows and buy one at a lower draw weight. That's just some of my bows.lol

22-Jan-18
"Viking Funeral" “That happened yesterday“

Doh!!!

22-Jan-18
No kids, so it goes to my wife, or other family, what I don't sell first. Some things I never will. Speaking of, I need to write one. Just turned 62, better do it I guess.

22-Jan-18
I'm 71 in March and I've been waiting all my life to be an old curmudgeon like the ones I knew growing up. You know the ones, three days growth of stubble, maybe a little tobacco juice at the corner of the mouth, smelling faintly of whatever dog slept on their porch. I guess those days are gone forever, as we've become so much more urban. Back then, a guy had a couple shotguns, and a .22 rifle and that's about all. What to do with them was pretty easy, because most had sons and grandsons to leave them to, and they would be used for their intended purpose.

Nowadays, we have fewer kids, fewer grandkids, and more "stuff" to leave. I started thinking about all this a few years ago and systematically started selling guns that had no real sentiment attatched. It was hard to do, but I did it. I still have a few to go, but I'm close. The rest will either go to my two best friends, (one each), and the others will be divided between my son and son-in-law.

I only own three bows, two compounds and an old Red Wing Hunter. Three dozen arrows maybe, and the assorted accessories that go with them. That won't be hard to deal with. My goal is to keep my wife from having to go through a bunch of stuff and decide what to do with it. I watched her, and her sister, have to do this after their mother's death a few years ago. My aim is to simplify that as much as possible.

22-Jan-18
Cnelk loved the Viking post lol I’ll be 72 this year great wife no kids a lot of land.we did put the 300 acres with 2 log homes in a conservation easement.Have a ton of gear not sure where it will all end up but still planning hunting and fishing trips I do realize we all leave here with nothing Lewis

22-Jan-18
I frequently counsel about and draft estate planning documents. I always tell people it's never too early. I'm 36 years old and my estate planning is done. Hell, my burial plot is bought and the mausoleum is up. My planning will require some changing when my daughter turns 18, and if I acquire any real estate, but that's easy to do.

My wife has instructions on what to do with my stuff. Ideas on who to contact regarding my library and mounts. Guns and bows (I don't have much, but what I have is pretty nice) --my daughter has first pick, then nephews, then sell.

22-Jan-18

wild1's embedded Photo
wild1's embedded Photo
Fortunately (hopefully), it'll be a while before that happens, but ironically, this past summer, the wifey and I, spent a fair amount of coin setting up a will and trust - including items like firearms (remember the thread about retirement and financial planning....?). While I'm alive I can control what happens, when I'm gone I don't want the government making decisions and then levying taxes on my legacy.

This little guy can't wait to go hunting with daddy - he'll get pretty much everything.

22-Jan-18
I have everything pretty much in order. Kids can sift thru what they want. Keep/sell guns, bows, gear. They can cut off the antlers from the euros sell the antler by the pound and sell the mounts. That alone should be a couple thousand $$

I guess Ill have to amend the paperwork and get ucsdryder a waypoint or 2 - lol!

22-Jan-18
I will be dead so don't really care. My daughters can do what they like with my stuff. I am not mounting any more animals unless I shoot a 200" whitetail. I am 53 and figure I have about 30 good years left in me. Shawn

22-Jan-18
Salvation Army.

22-Jan-18
Already have my death planned out. On my 100th birthday at the hands of a jealous man.

I'll have everything sold, donated, or disposed of by then. ;-)

22-Jan-18
Might want to explain in a little more detail, Nick. Wouldn’t want anyone making the wrong assumption;-)

22-Jan-18
Be 66 this summer, and I'm retiring in 5 weeks after a long, long....LONG run as a welder. Working 57 hour weeks now, and can't wait. I'll hunt when I feel like it, and not when I don't. My son will take over my stuff when I bow out, and 2 grandsons are welcome to it also.

22-Jan-18
Nick, can I use that one day? I like it!

22-Jan-18
I'm 57 with no kids or wife and as I get older I think about this more and more... I've got about 20 whitetail mounts, 3 elk mounts, way too much hunting and fishing gear, several boats and canoes, some classic musclecars, a few trucks, a Harley, an airplane, a few campers and some real estate. I guess I'm going to have to find somebody to adopt...

22-Jan-18
Viking funeral....ouch. I attended it yesterday. Anyway, speaking of aging, I watched the game with two friends from college and our wives and one of my friends pulled out some pictures (real pictures since this was 35 years ago) of a spring break trip the three of us took to Key West in a 2-door Toyota Corolla. I had never seen the pictures and we all just about fell over looking at ourselves from three and a half decades in the past. I had hair like Clint Eastwood. Now I look like a coyote with mange. We were all skinny little punks, with an emphasis on skinny. Wow. It was a good distraction from the Vikings imploding into a black hole.

As far as my gear, I'm not even thinking about getting rid of it yet. I'll be retired in a couple years and it's going to get more use then than it ever has. I have started to give out a few bows and equipment to kids just starting out, but being left-handed it is a slow, slow drain. I think that would be the best use to try and pay it forward to the next generation.

22-Jan-18
CheeseheadMike

Wow! If he who dies with the most toys wins... You win!

22-Jan-18
Yeah I know, it's borderline hoarder. I'm not sure how it happened but it's mostly all really good chit...

22-Jan-18
Cheesehead Mike,

www.farmersonly.com

22-Jan-18
Got some experience with that site Charlie? Lol!

22-Jan-18
I have an 11 son and 8 year old daughter. Son is into hunting, daughter not so much but if she decides to get into it more she will be dangerous. She already gets being quiet, having situational awareness, and "flips the switch" when game is around.

I plan on wearing all my gear out but maybe they can salvage a couple items to hang on the wall. Whatever is left with value they don't want, they can sell. As for me, the rest of the family isn't on board with my idea of putting me out in a pasture and shooting coyotes off my carcass until its been reclaimed :^)

22-Jan-18
I call dibs on the plane Cheesehead Mike :)

22-Jan-18
Someone say muscle cars?! Ehhhemmm... :)

22-Jan-18
Hell, pretty sure if he's made it to 57, he's smart enough not to get into a Farmers Only Drama!

Although it could make a pretty good "How to" thread...

"How to loose all your good chit through Farmersonly.com"

22-Jan-18

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Well if I don't find somebody to leave my stuff to on farmersonly.com maybe I'll have the biggest Bowsite giveaway ever in about 25 years... ;^)

22-Jan-18
Every time I visit one of my hunting buddies he tries to send a mount or 2 home with me. I told him the ones he's giving away aren't the ones I want.

22-Jan-18
Yeah, I was married once but I'll probably never do it again. I'll just find a woman I hate and buy her a house... Lol!

22-Jan-18
Mike for Man of the Year award!! Wow. I would sell It off and feed a sheep addiction:). Hunt

22-Jan-18
Someday I might sell off 3 of the 4 Chevelles and the plane and either buy a bigger faster plane or have a lot of fun with the money...

btw, you should see my insurance bill :^(

22-Jan-18
Throwin' in my vote for Mike!

Think I might have to follow Hunt's advice and go sheep huntin' tho :)

22-Jan-18
My biggest concern is all of the mounts I have, probably 50 or so. Looking into my alternatives now. I know the market isn't very good for mounts.

22-Jan-18
Cheesehead-If you have no one as you stated, find a "few" deserving souls & divide your "material" things up to them. One last good deed.. DON'T let the state get more than you have already given. Seriously.

22-Jan-18
That's good advice John, thanks.

22-Jan-18
Okay... this turned into a muscle car thread. Mike... where's the other Chevelles? My top two or three body styles. Now, if you gotta 68 camaro, I'll clean house, make meals, mow the yard... hell, I'm your huckleberry. Lol

22-Jan-18
I’ll happily take any elk honey-hole coordinates...even if it’s just raghorns and spikes! In all seriousness, thank you to all the seasoned hunters on here who have shared their stories over the years. I have gained much from Bowsite simply by following you guys and hope to give back to the sport one day as well.

22-Jan-18
Mike, you can be my new Daddy!! LMFAO!! I would take the Harley and plane for sure!! Shawn

22-Jan-18
I think Embry is the new 'Becky Homecky'

22-Jan-18
Oddly enough for me, I'll be serious. I have pretty much taken care of everything. I am leaving my body to Vanderbilt School of Medicine-that takes care of funeral and burial costs. Family gets first pick of equipment, sell the rest. Mounted stuff goes to Cracker Barrel-already made a deal with them. Family can do what they want with trophies, trophy buckles and awards. Buckles probably worth a couple-three thou in gold and silver, rest worthless in terms of money. Clothes go the half-way house. Boat and truck get sold, wife can squander the money. Any money I have, I fully intend to spend before I die.

22-Jan-18
Damn Brad. I just want to think about hunting.

It will be sad. My shit will be put out on the curb for the most part. Not much of value to anyone in my family. Hopefully I can donate any taxidermy and equipment to the local archery club.

22-Jan-18
I think cnelk is the new "bowriter".

22-Jan-18

This isn't my '69 SS but it's what it will look like when it's done. It's the same Dusk Blue Metallic
This isn't my '69 SS but it's what it will look like when it's done. It's the same Dusk Blue Metallic
Here's my '69 SS and the '70 is in the background. I have a ways to go but they're worth good money even in the partially restored condition they're in.
Here's my '69 SS and the '70 is in the background. I have a ways to go but they're worth good money even in the partially restored condition they're in.
I reupholstered the seats myself and all the interior parts have been restored and are ready to install.
I reupholstered the seats myself and all the interior parts have been restored and are ready to install.
Here's the '69 Malibu I just picked up. It might become a drag car with a nasty big block in it...
Here's the '69 Malibu I just picked up. It might become a drag car with a nasty big block in it...
Embry, the other Chevelles aren't quite ready for prime time yet. One is a numbers matching '69 SS 396 that I'm restoring. One is a '70 SS 454 that I have the body off of the frame and is also being restored. I do all of the work myself so I'm looking forward to getting busy and finishing them in a year when I retire. The fourth one is a '69 Malibu that I picked up for parts and the guy was practically giving it away but it's not that bad and I might turn it into a drag car. I used to drag race my Super Sports back in the day but they're getting too valuable.

I had 68 Camaro back about 1980 that I chopped up and turned into a dirt track street stocker with a 396 in it.

22-Jan-18
Just a young punk at 56 but when I do finally hang it up I hope they have hunting in Heaven. My stuff will go to the wife and kids.

22-Jan-18
For the younger guys reading this. . . Cheesehead Mike just posted pictures of 4 or 5 reasons not to get married :)

Muscle cars and motorcycles don't do anything for me. Trucks, ATVs, boats and planes sure trip my trigger though :)

22-Jan-18
Mike, very nice. I like those chevelle body styles the most. Seems all of my buds had those same models.

22-Jan-18
I'm 61 no kids married for 37 years. I have more stuff then I know what to do with. I'm thinking of starting a EBAY store.

22-Jan-18
Bake - LMAO!!!! OK. Maybe not. It could sound like sobbing. I love my wife and kids, but I'm going to go over in the corner for some quiet time.

22-Jan-18
My high school parking lot was loaded with those old Chevelles back in the day....dang those bring back memories.

22-Jan-18

TD's embedded Photo
TD's embedded Photo
I was thinking of holding a cage octagon match.....

Mike...... quit playin' with those cars..... the plane needs 29s or 31s and a tailwheel....... =D

22-Jan-18
I thought i was one of the old farts here but maybe not. We have two sons that would love most of my toys ( I think). 59 and still feeling strong

23-Jan-18
!!! Chevelles,!!! I had a Torino GT390 with 2 4barrel Hollys with bored out jets, a Hurst 4 speed, power disc brakes, and a heavy duty clutch, I used to eat Chevelles for lunch' But I got serious and married, wound up trading in my Torino for a Toyota Corolla. Time changes thingsl My first out of state bowhunt was 1980 with Jack Cassidy on the western slope of the Rockes in Colo. Fully outfitted elk hunt with a guide for every 3 hunters, I took a small 5 by 5 and I was hooked, Cost was $300.00 for 5 day hunt. I started consolidating 3 years ago and I am down about 50% of my stuff, but I still buy stuff, I got a new Hoyt Defiant 34 this year and enjoying the hell out of it, I dont know if I ever will grow up. Ron

23-Jan-18
As long as I can draw a bow, I'll shoot. Don't hunt as hard as I used to. Get more kicks out of 3D, either shooting or setting up a good course. Should probably sell off the recurves I don't shoot any more, and a few of the fishing rods.

23-Jan-18

Arrowhead's embedded Photo
Me when my hair wasn't gray.
Me when my hair wasn't gray.
Chevelles are nice but I was a Camaro guy myself.

23-Jan-18
Thanks for all the nice words guys...

Actually when I was in my 20's I wanted nothing more than to get married and have kids. My 3 best friends all got married about that time and started raising families. It just didn't work out for me. I don't know if I was too picky or it just wasn't in the cards. I finally got married when I was 38 to the wrong woman and it was a mistake. I already had most of my assets and she tried to take half of everything I owned all the way back to my birth certificate. It cost me a big chunk of money but I found out why divorces are so expensive... because they are worth it! Seriously, I had some rewarding years as a step-dad and I think I was a positive influence on those boys. I've always envied the guys that have kids to pass along their knowledge to and to spend time with. A few years after my divorce I had a great girlfriend, we were talking marriage and I believe we would have been happily married for the rest of our lives but cancer took her... That was a tough one and probably made me more independent. Anyway, bottom line is we all have to play the hand we're dealt and make the most of it.

TD, you're absolutely right and I'm hoping a Super Cub or Cessna 180 is in my future!

Ron Murphy, guys who used to have fast cars are a dime a dozen. I'm still banging gears and burning rubber! I never met a 390 Torino that could come close (just returning your jab a little) but I will admit that back in the day when I used to run NHRA Stock Class at the drag strip, a '70 Torino Cobra 429 was my nemesis. We were supposed to be stock with exception of 8" slicks and open headers but he cheated and had an aftermarket cam and who knows what else. I eventually beat him with my stock '70 Chevelle SS 396 and that was one of my most memorable wins. Those were fun times...

23-Jan-18
Cool '69 Arrowhead!

23-Jan-18
"The Aging Bowsiters"

Sounds like a great name for a band!

23-Jan-18
I'll be 75 in April.

Give me 20 more years and I'll begin to think about it. "

To many hunts and to many bucks out there to think about such things at this young age !

:^}

23-Jan-18
HMMMM....now that this has become a muscle car thread .....I had a 10 second chevelle 20 years ago, I enjoyed building it but then it went on its way.

23-Jan-18
I really don't think I'll care what happens to it.

24-Jan-18
55 and still alive...

24-Jan-18
I don’t plan to ever “hang it up”. That said, I’m 62 and have already passed it on two generations out.

24-Jan-18

Me and my pride and joy in 1981
Me and my pride and joy in 1981
Trophies from the drag strip..
Trophies from the drag strip..
North Star Drag Strip gave out window stickers that were a badge of honor like kills on a fighter plane. Other cars knew you meant business when you were next to them at the street light
North Star Drag Strip gave out window stickers that were a badge of honor like kills on a fighter plane. Other cars knew you meant business when you were next to them at the street light
My dad asked me one time how I could go thru a set of rear tires every summer...
My dad asked me one time how I could go thru a set of rear tires every summer...
I know I took this thread off on a tangent and I apologize for that, but it inspired me to dig out some old photos and I just couldn't resist ;^)

25-Jan-18
If I get that old I'll give my crap away and throw away what ain't worth passing on and probably take the pistol out for one last trip

25-Jan-18
I was fortunate to buy any clothing or gear I needed as was ramping up to hunt. Even after 30 years, some of the original clothing and gear is plugging along and have added more over time. After a mountain goat hunt in Colorado 3 seasons ago, I realized I should narrow my focus on future hunt opportunities to be a bit less rigorous and in less harsh environments and no more solo adventures. I culled about 75% of my stuff packed into a couple of wooden crates and sent to a relative to use as he saw fit or to give away in his rural Midwest town. Zero regrets as that stuff was destined for gathering dust and gear should be used not stared at in a storage unit.

25-Jan-18
Cool to see the cowl induction flap gulping air on your last photo! My oldest brother, who became a mechanic, had a string of SS 396 Chevelles starting when I was just getting into my teens, which meant driving age back then on the farm. I was occasionally able to convince him to let me drive his car for various errands, etc. Good memories. Thanks for sharing the pics.

25-Jan-18
I'm just planning to stay the same size so that all my clothing fits forever, and when I'm old I'll be hunting in rags and my kids will think I'm a legend...

26-Jan-18
I ran the into an 82 year old man from Kansas a few years back at 11,400' in southern CO. If he can do it at that age, I hope to do it til the end.

26-Jan-18
Glad to see your still around David!

26-Jan-18
Thanks Mulehorn! I took a sabbatical from the forums for a good while. Been working out of town for the last 3 years. Just finished a project in Grand Junction. Loved it there. Lake Powell 3-1/2 hours away, The Grand Mesa staring me in the face, best peaches and sweet corn I've ever had, like-minded conservative rednecks. What a great place to be! And found a great place to hunt elk. It was nice to Pop back in recently and start visiting a couple of the forums. Had a great January rutting mule deer hunt in NM. Maybe I'll post the story in the mule deer section.

Wish I could've met Bobmuley and shook his hand while I was there as he has been one of my bowhunting mentors over the years. Before I started up there, we pm'd back and forth a few times, basically asking him about hunting the "Western Slope". He was gracious enough to describe different areas/units within an hour or 2 and left the rest up to me.

Bob? If you see this, thank you! I found some great new areas to hunt!

30-Jan-18
I'm going to be 86 while on my 2nd trip to Kansas next Nov, I shoot 3D nearly every weekend in the warmer weather but I've had to lower the bow down to 50 lbs this year I just refuse to go to the alternative!

30-Jan-18

Well, I'm split open but after 1 week well on my way to recovery. Ia. City VA Drs & staff did an awesome job, all good news so I guess I'll be around to cause a little grief to my kids & G-kids. Hope to be shooting again by end of April for the bigger State & National competitions.. I am blessed & the man upstairs is still watching over me as is my great family & friends..

30-Jan-18
I just turned 65. I'm in good shape and will hunt out west until I can't handle it anymore. Then I'll hopefully get in a bunch of baited bear hunts(easy for old people). All my guns, bows and mounts will go to my oldest son who hunts. My youngest son doesn't hunt, but we erased a chunk of his college debt he still owed us so he doesn't feel shorted when all my gear starts going to his brother.

31-Jan-18

ahunter55,

Been there done that, a couple times... Don't overdo it, once your abdominal muscles have been cut through it takes a while to heal and get your core strength back.

Good luck in your recovery...

31-Jan-18
Those are some nice scars... Mike, was your Chevelle an L-78? I'm guessing yes based on your trophy count?

31-Jan-18
Nope, L-34 350hp 402. Badged as a 396 but actually a 402 from the factory in '70.

I raced D-Stock-H (4-speed) at North Star and really got the most out of it. I was always good at tinkering and tuning and there weren't many cars in my class that were much of a match. A lot of guys thought I was cheating but it was 100% stock with exception of legal headers, slicks and legal carb, ignition tuning, etc.

On the street I beat some L-78's and even an LS-6 454. But most of that came down to experience and knowing what you were doing and getting the horsepower to the pavement without going up in smoke. I'm sure if I would have owned and driven an L-78, LS-5 or LS-6 it would have been faster than my L-34.

Those were fun times...

31-Jan-18
I survived my first heart attack at 43, 4 bypasses, 2 more attacks, and 10 yrs now cancer free. Thanks to God at 75 I am still bowhunting out of treestands with my VERTICAL bow.

31-Jan-18
You beat an LS-6? That's impressive when you are giving up probably 100-150 horsepower and gobs more of torque. You definitely must run a good clutch and throttle. I knew a guy that had an LS-6 Chevelle with an automatic. It would chirp the tires just putting the shift into drive while at a standstill. Beast...

31-Jan-18
cool thread here guys

01-Feb-18
My biggest fear is that my wife will sell all of my stuff for what I told her I paid for it!

Just kidding she knows damn well what it costs. Including Sitka Gear. What’s the big deal have you seen what they want for prom dresses and wedding gowns! At least I wear my clothes more than once right?

01-Feb-18
MNRazorhead,

I guess my last post was a little misleading. I went through a few clutches drag racing with slicks and I eventually blew a piston in the motor. I rebuilt the motor and did a lot of work to it including TRW forged 11:1 pistons, a very aggressive Crane cam, head porting and valve work, Edlebrock aluminum high rise intake, Holley carb, high energy ignition with recurved advance, engine balancing, etc. Then I replaced the 4-speed with a beefed up TH-400 automatic with a 10" torque converter that stalled at about 4000 rpm. I loved chirping the tires when it shifted into second and once in a while when I hit third.

My motor was no longer stock and probably closer to 450 hp or more at that point when I raced the LS-6. Also he was a 4 speed car and he went up in smoke and I walked away from him having the automatic tranny and knowing how to feather my throttle on street tires. That win was more about the driver than the car.

01-Feb-18
What did you guys with the split bellies have done?

01-Feb-18
No kidding........you can't unsee that.

01-Feb-18
Ouch Cheesehead. I'm glued, no staples or stitches. In my earlier years 1969 396 SS (425) Nova, 1968 Rat Engine Stingray Vett & a few others speedsters. Recovery is going great..

02-Feb-18
Cool cars ahunter55, that Nova must have been a handful! Glad to hear you're recovering.

midwest, I had some cancer 25 years ago and they split me open to check my lymph nodes along my spine to make sure it didn't spread. It was all good. I've had problems with the incision herniating a couple times over the years. This photo was taken after I had to have my gallbladder removed and the 3 small incisions is where they made their first attempt to remove it laproscopically but there were too many adhesions and they had to reopen the old incision and take it out that way.

A couple years later I had a sports hernia in my groin and my belly incision had also herniated again so they opened my belly up again and implanted some mesh at the same time as they implanted mesh to repair my goin hernia.

My belly has been opened so many times that I'm thinking they should just install some Velcro! Its sucks having your stomach muscles cut through...

02-Feb-18
Yea, I have a couple lap openings but mass was just to big. They looked at "everything" while in there.. Yes, that Nova was a beast. Traction bars, raised rear end & big wide tires on the rear. Nothing could beat it except a premièred 55 Chevy that "no one" knew what was under the hood.

02-Feb-18
Family, grand kids, hunt,fish, practice lsw, drink,smoke cigars, run labs annoy people and die.

02-Feb-18
Good plan, Pete! I think you have it all covered. lol...

• Sitka Gear