Franzen 25-Jan-18
Blade 25-Jan-18
Blade 27-Jan-18
Matt 27-Jan-18
Blade 27-Jan-18
Shawn 28-Jan-18
Franzen 29-Jan-18
23-Jan-18
Because I spent hours/days trying to get the different pieces and sizes of the Wooltimate, outfitter camo pattern, mostly without much success or help from Cabela's customer service, I thought I would give an update of what I found at the Lone Tree CO store. Coats with full zipper and pullover in sizes L to XXL and pants from 42 to...? No vests. I found out that the retail stores can do a search nationwide where they can bring up a list of all states and then inventory by item number for each store. The Customer Service for Cabela's (800-237-4444) can only search one store at a time and won't do it because it would take too long. Primarily what seems to be left is a few L size coats and a lot more in XL and XXL and pants in 42 and larger...basically a large and tall men's store. And, sizes seem to run large, that is, a L fits like a XL. If you find a store that has them, they are not cooperative in selling them to you. No over the phone credit cards and most won't ship. For reference, I helped out another Bowsiter and found a Wooltimate pant for him, paid for it and UPS Shipping & Handling. Shipping and handling from Denver to Pittsburgh ran almost $32 which included $100 insurance.

24-Jan-18
If anyone is still trying to get a set of wooltimate, which I am not sure may be discontinued, I have a set that I will be selling. The pants and the beanie are new with tags, and the jacket has been very lightly worn. The pants are 38reg. and the jacket is size ex. large.

24-Jan-18
This is a line of clothing that Camofire/Core4/Sylo should take over if Cabelas/Bass Pro is going to drop it.

24-Jan-18
I was in Cabala’s yesterday for a return, after the return, I walked around the store just looking at what was going on. I must say I was very disappointed! The staff almost seemed depressed and the inventory was horrible! It looked like a company going out of business it was a bummer to say the least. If this is the future of Cabela’s, to be LIKE BassPro... They are going to sink! I feel bad for the employees! I stopped and talked to a few of them and asked what they thought, the response was not good in any way! Demotions, cuts in pay, and people losing their jobs and carriers! I for one will not support Bass-Pro as i think they are the Walmart of hunting stores. And I think Cabela's has been way over priced with a declining quality of product for a long time now. But, it is a sad experience to talk to the people directly effected by this buy out.

Best wishes for the people involved!

24-Jan-18
Scar, I agree with every word you said. I have been into Cabela's 3 times in the past 2 weeks and it's obvious about a declining inventory, passive staff morale, continuing employee turnover. It wouldn't surprise me if Bass Pro is in the process of closing stores and employees. I have had a couple conversations already this week where the analogy of Bass Pro compared to WalMart has been used. We have a new Scheel's that opened recently about 100 miles away and am curious what their store and products will be like. The comments on Bowsite seem to be positive about Scheel's.

24-Jan-18
As an employee of the store(BPS prostaff)we are told Cabelas is not closing but that the two are merging but separate.BPS will have some of Cabelas vendors added to BPS and maybe vice versa but I doubt it.Our employee benefits will be extended to Cabelas. So I don't think they are closing the chain but it will be heavily influenced. I am sure they are getting a grip on product lines and shopping suppliers.

24-Jan-18
Dollar, we can only hope that the merger goes well and that, as part of it, BPS makes an effort to retain as well as integrate quality products from Cabela's in their inventory. Admittedly, BPS has some quality items, but I think and you will see discussions here that the analogy of being a discount store (WalMart) is common thread in opinions and that BPS is inferior to Cabela's. It seems that you are optimistic in the merger but have a little skepticism which I can understand as there is a lot of change ahead. I have other issues and concerns about the changes we are starting to see but will wait and see what comes. Good luck.

25-Jan-18

Jaquomo's Link
Here's a really interesting deep-dive into the mechanics of the sale. Jim Cabela tried very hard to get a commitment from BPS that they would keep the corporate HQ in Sidney as part of the sale. BPS would only offer hollow platitudes.

Seems like BP is in the process of diluting and cheapening what was once an outfitter of high quality products. Everything I have that is "Redhead" is pretty low quality compared to similar Cabelas brand stuff. Sad deal for outdoorsman, great for the shareholders.

25-Jan-18
I went to the new Scheels store in Loveland last weekend. They seemed to have some of everything but a lot of nothing. The selections were limited and they seemed to be too spread out trying to cover all sports and outdoors. I wasn't impressed and I certainly wasn't waiting in line for 30-45 minutes for their Ferris Wheel ride.

I have to concur with what is being said about Cabelas. Every time I go to the Lone Tree store I leave disappointed and wish it was like the good old days of Cabelas being the epitome of customer service. I'm even a stock holder and it seems to be holding strong. Cheapen the product increase the profit mindset I guess?

25-Jan-18
My hat goes off to Blade!!!!

He sent me a PM saying his local Cabela’s had what I wanted. I called them and they wouldn’t ship. So he said he’d pick them up for me. But then they said they couldn’t take my credit card over the phone. They told me to call the 800 number. Called that and they said they can’t take payment for an item not coming from their warehouse. So Blade picked them up, paid for them, and shipped them.... all within about an hour!!! He doesn’t even know me either! Wow!

Bowsite has way better customer service than Cabela’s!!!!! I can’t thank you enough Blade. Best of luck this coming season!!!

25-Jan-18
You are most welcome. It's just a matter or treating others as you would like to be treated and finding a way to do it. I know the frustration I went through in trying to find a vest, unsuccessfully, and dealing with several of the retail stores and the national Customer Service and sensed the frustration you were having.

25-Jan-18
I'm looking at a woolimate vest large who needs it Hoffman Estates store ? Also jackets and hoodies from large to xl

25-Jan-18
Thanks Highlife...I had a bowsiter contact me and sending me a medium but it might be the berber material instead of the wooltimate. Would consider another as medium as a backup though

25-Jan-18
I here you they have a medium hoodie if that helps

25-Jan-18
Good on you Blade. As I stated on the other thread I brought back, I am really concerned that they are now just scamming people. When you have a pretty heavy grip on the market you can get away with those things.

Just to throw it out there, I am not huge on Scheels either, due to poor selection, etc. As far as clothing goes, they don't hold a candle to what Cabelas was a few years ago. Nice gun section though, for what that is worth. That is about the only area I would rate above "old" Cabelas in terms of hunting. They cater a lot to team sports, casual wear, etc. from what I have seen at the local store and limited online shopping.

25-Jan-18
Thanks again Highlife, the only item I don't have is the vest. I was lucky enough to find the rest that I do have.

27-Jan-18
Sounds like Scheel's is more of a sporting good store having a little bit of hunting, fishing, and camping as well as sports items and athletic gear. Do they have much of a hunting and fishing department?

27-Jan-18
Not sure if this is the case with Cabelas right now or still the general practice in the industry (it has been a couple of decades since I worked in retail), but the annual inventory low point for many retailers is around Christmas and around that time retailers would suspend product shipments to stores so that they could accurately count the inventory on hand. Shipments would resume late Jan. into Feb. and inventory levels would come back up to normal levels.

27-Jan-18
Sounds logical except we hear the phrase "clearance sale, discontinued, and customer service for the company says "no inventory at the warehouse, but there might be if you call the retail stores." Lots of different messages. Seems like Bass Pro just wanting to get rid of some Cabela's vendors that don't serve their needs with "good" profit margins.

28-Jan-18
I managed to order a day or two after Christmas. I was lucky and got all the wooltimate stuff I ordered BUT!!! Thats a big but, I had ordered several other items and called to verify they were in stock, then a few days after placing my orders I went on to check my orders status and things had been back ordered then cancelled. I spent roughly 14 hours on the phone with folks who had little clue as how to help me. It was a big PIA and for all my hassles they sent me a 25 dollar gift card. Are you kidding?? Even if I made minimum wage that woud be 140 bucks for my time and trust me I make much more then that. The old Cabelas with great products and great customer service is long gone and BP will continue to run it into the ground. It is a shame as the Wooltimate line is some of the finest hunting clothing out there!! Shawn

29-Jan-18
They'd keep stuff on backorder if they thought they had some inventory out there, or were going to get more.

• Sitka Gear