wild1 31-Jan-18
beckerbulldog 31-Jan-18
Mint 31-Jan-18
Inshart 31-Jan-18
3arrows 31-Jan-18
Mertyman 31-Jan-18
Cheesehead Mike 31-Jan-18
30-Jan-18
What do you consider the best vacuum packager for the dollar? Why? There are a lot of FoodSavers on the store shelves,especially discount stores...are they any good?

31-Jan-18
My foodsaver has lasted 10+ years and counting so far. I bought my parents one this year also-got it on sale at wallyworl with bags for under $100. Follow the directions and works great

31-Jan-18
My foodsaver is 4 years old and running strong. I get 1/2 beef every year and I seal everything. Cheap amazon bags or the foodsaver bags, it doesn't seem to make any difference IMHO.

31-Jan-18
Thanks for the response...anything particular about using them other than what's in the manual?

31-Jan-18
Sorry for the hijack, but there a hundred different models of FoodSaver. Can anyone give a real short review and the particular model. Thanks!

31-Jan-18

beckerbulldog's Link
I have the v3230 model. I works fine, seals 99% of the bag (I always have one or 2 out of 100 that will loose their seal after a month or 2. I've sealed bag after bag for over an hour without it missing a beat. The only thing I don't like about it is the sealing bar is to high above the table service. I try to use a small of a bag as possible and having the bar so high up makes it hard to get a seal. I have a board that a set it front of the sealer to solve that problem. Can't use it if whatever you're sealing is wet though.

31-Jan-18
I went thru a bunch of food saver models, even the turbo model and they never lasted more than three years. I went and got a Weston commercial grade model for $400 and so far it is at least five years old and still going strong.

31-Jan-18
Mine worked great until I made the mistake of borrowing it to a friend once then twice then the sealer crapped out on me. I'm assuming they didn't follow the directions and over used it. The one I have now is 5 years old and works great. FOOD SAVER 4800 SERIES

31-Jan-18
Saran warp

31-Jan-18
Foodsaver 2400 Series. The one I have now is going on 5 years and still working. The one we had previously lasted approximately 8 or 10 years (can't remember for sure) before it had to be replaced. Both units get/got what I would consider light to moderate use. We just get the roll of bags so you can cut them yourself to the desired size.

If I were butchering my own animals every year, I'd opt for something bigger and better, but this one fits our needs for what we use it for.

31-Jan-18

Cheesehead Mike's Link
My first one was an entry level model and it only lasted a couple years.

I'm on my second one and I believe it's the V3425 model and it's been working fine for a couple years.

Make sure you get one with the hose and then get the marinator (see my link). It works really well for making tender marinated steaks, etc.

• Sitka Gear