Charlie Rehor 04-Feb-18
Missouribreaks 04-Feb-18
Buglmin 04-Feb-18
Missouribreaks 04-Feb-18
Missouribreaks 04-Feb-18
Inshart 04-Feb-18
osage 04-Feb-18
03-Feb-18
Got the new Spring catalog today and it's obvious the Bass Pro change is beginning to occur. The cover page says Cabela's but the next 8 pages are Ranger and Tracker boats with gift cards for Cabela's or Cabela's/Bass Pro (gives the appearance of the Bass Pro catalog with boats being offered). For the rest of the catalog, the Cabela's name is found throughout as well as several Cabela's products...no mention or logos of Bass Pro/Redhead anywhere else. Also noticed, for a Spring catalog (general in content) there is no clothing shown. It will be interesting how marketing will change for both names and if they will eventually come out with a combined catalog. This catalog seems like a dedicated effort to show that some Cabela's products will continue to be available with the subtle interjection of BP's name.

03-Feb-18
Cabelas is excellent. Should all be positive

03-Feb-18
As long as they don't cancel my points (and I eventually find something to spend them on) its no big deal to me

03-Feb-18
I am wishing them all the best. It will take BassPro a couple of years to assess consumer desires and alter their offerings accordingly. Exciting times I am sure.

03-Feb-18
Saw the movie "12 Strong" this week. Couldn't help noticing the Cabela's box on the floor when the Green Berets were gearing up in country. Cabela's, great stuff. Great movie too, by the way.

03-Feb-18
Sarcasm much ? :-)

03-Feb-18
Less competition is never a good thing for consumers

03-Feb-18
I just got the cabelas spring turkey catalog.I believe its all cabelas as I didn't really look hard.

03-Feb-18
You're right about competition...Scheels, Sportsman's Warehouse? Looks like Scheel's is more of a sporting goods store and Sportsman's Warehouse has survived primarily because of filing bankruptcy a few years and still don't see much activity or traffic at a nearby store...and then there was Gander Mtn. Does BP have legitimate competition and the desire to carry better merchandise than they have?

03-Feb-18
I got the Shooting catalog a few days ago and it only has Cabela's name. I think the Spring catalog (General merchandise) is the start of the changeover and not the "specific product" catalogs.

03-Feb-18
As I said on another thread Scheels is the new Cabelas ...period.

03-Feb-18
drycreek, no sarcasm intended, really. There was a Cabela’s box on the floor and it was a great movie. Not sure why that’s sarcastic. Anyway, Cabela’s is top notch.

03-Feb-18

03-Feb-18
Woodguy, I haven't been to a Scheel's store but have been on their websight. Why do you think they are the new Cabela's when they seem to be more focused on sporting goods/athletic gear? We have a new Scheel's 100 miles away and intend to go there but their website doesn't encourage me to think they're a "new" Cabela's. Curious in what you have observed and seen to support Scheel's

04-Feb-18
Scheels has plenty of great options. Went to college near one in Wisco and was pumped when they opened one 2 miles up the road from my house in Johnstown. They offer quite a bit for all things hunting, but also have areas my girlfriend can peruse while I'm looking at new gear.

04-Feb-18
Just curious for year 2017, I didn't receive many Cabela's catalogs maybe two, in previous years it was many. Was it just me? And I have C' club card. I had a warranty issue with a Cabela's brand rainsuit with a unsatisfactory result. I hope this new merger resolves this issue.

04-Feb-18
I stated in one of the other threads, but I agree with your evaluation of Scheels. Maybe the stores are drastically different in one area vs. the next, but my closest store wouldn't compare to Cabelas of old as far as hunting goes. Interestingly enough, one of the guys that posted above likely goes to the same store. The footprint of the clothing section at my "local" Scheels might be 25% of the "local" Cabelas the last time I was there. They have a pretty good gun section and the archery section is probably comparable, but for actual archery gear I would typically buy online or try to support a local shop. Website is "no comparison" as stated above.

04-Feb-18
Don’t worry about reduced competition with the merger since you can always buy things cheaper on Amazon!

04-Feb-18
I agree, Amazon has many of the same items usually at significantly less prices, especially when you have Amazon prime.

04-Feb-18
I do shows at Scheel's, and if you think they are the new Cabela's, then they've got a long ways to go!! For now, Cabela's will stay the hunting side, and Bass Pro will be the fishing side, Cabela's has too many contracts making their product for the Cabela name. And as for the fishing boats, of course you'd expect to see Cabela's selling the Bass Pro boats now. The store in Glendale had Tracker boats on the lot since last year, and sent five Tracker boats to Texas last year to help with the flooding.

04-Feb-18
I agree Pat, and MidwayUSA oftentimes has them beat on the ammo side, at least on inventory.

I do hope Cabelas/BassPro finds their way but they have to be competitive on price to get my money, I need it more than they do.

04-Feb-18
The items I speak of ground hunter likely would not be in quantity in the local " bait shop ". When we prepared some new western property for hunting we ordered around 25 pop up blinds, some climbers, ladders, and ladder stands as well as misc other items. That order was beyond the local bait shop, and went to Amazon. I like the local "bait shops" for on the run items, especially fishing.

04-Feb-18
I also shop Amazon .... but be careful of Amazon, lately I've been comparing items from other stores to Amazon and in many cases the other stores have been cheaper.

**One example** Not long ago I was checking on tire chains for my truck. The exact same chains (Peerless, I believe they were) were quite a bit less at Wally World than Amazon.

Now, prior to "checking out" I always compare.

04-Feb-18
Sportsman's Guide. Been buying stuff from them for quite awhile. Quality is always excellent and pricing is usually cheaper. They deal in quite a bit military gear from around the world and all must pass rigid requirements. Just received a pair of boots for $64 that would have been double that anywhere else. Also some duck overalls to keep that Arizona cactus outta my hide.

• Sitka Gear