LKH 23-Feb-18
lawdy 23-Feb-18
drycreek 23-Feb-18
Franzen 25-Feb-18
LKH 25-Feb-18
Franzen 25-Feb-18
Trial153 25-Feb-18
18-Feb-18
The Payment in Lieu of taxes and payments made tocrural counties and communities is being eliminated with the new fed budget. With over 1/3 of our town taken by the feds, we are going to be forced off our land. The refuge manager up here refers to us as "ignorant hillbillies," and this landgrab as "rural cleansing." You people surrounded by BLM land are going to pay if this passes. As it is PILT is funded at only 23%.

18-Feb-18
Where are you located?

18-Feb-18
I can easily spin it the other way; don't fund PILT so that rural counties are strapped for cash and thus upset about public lands and push to convert them to state or private for revenue and taxes.

Not funding public land agencies to the amount they would like has been going on for a long time and is a great way to make it seem that public lands are not taken care of or are mismanaged.

18-Feb-18
If you're talking about trump's budget, most of his wish list will never happen.

18-Feb-18
Can you explain how 1/3 of you town was “taken “ by the federal government?

18-Feb-18
The whole thing is Greek to me. Explain lawdy.

18-Feb-18
Most likely referring to Acquisitions increasing federal holdings in northern New Hampshire e xpanding federal wildlife refuge areas . There was a Hotly contested proposed New Hampshire law that would limit the amount of land that federal government could own in the the state. The proponents of the law use the excuse that federal ownership would hurt state and town budgets.

However civil libertarians on both ends of the spectrum agreed that the law was ghastly infringement on citizens private property rights. Arguing that an individual has the right to sell his property to whom he pleases Including the federal government.

So most likely “taken” is code speak for sold. Many individuals sold their property a values greater than the private market would bear condisering the very limited use and value of the land. I am sure many owners were more then happy to sell and move to greener pastures greater opportunitys and less depressesed locations.

All that said the federal government should fund PILT fully. Federal budgets for land management the last three decades have been used as a unfair Ballast stone to further some agendas, a counter weight against social spending that adds nothing to our economy and well-being as a nation.

23-Feb-18
They buy properties up to 500% of appraised value. A 40 acre swamp that a developer paid 40,000 for was sold for $450,000. They used emminent domain to get an island. NH is a property tax state. 1/3 of our tax base, along with timber tax is severely affected. When you sell your property to a private individual, that property continues to pay for schools, roads, etc. When you sell to the feds, you have caused your neighbors taxes to increase. PILT is based on the current use value of the land as they burn down the buildings. Everytime a camp burns, there go more tourists or hunters. In addition, refuge land up here is closed to bear hunting, turkey hunting, bobcat hunting, bicycles, horseback riding, berry picking, except for 1 qt of blueberries per family per year. The next CCP is planned to ban snowmobiles and of course there is no atv use. No ground blinds may be left overnight, as well as tree stands. No lead shot, and most areas closed to waterfowl hunting as that is when they band ducks. Lately, they have been making areas off limits with posted signs. The refuge manager bought his property inside the procurement zone and is now selling it to the refuge because the town he has just about destroyed across the border in Maine is too expensive tax-wise. Irony. We with private land that allow snowmobile trails with no compensation are meeting to plan a closure of our lands. We hope that will send a message to liberal-land in Southern NH that we need a break from this landgrab. I have been involved with this for 15 years. The plan, according to a meeting I attended in 1977, is to procure Northern Maine, NH, and Vermont, with the goal of uniting these refuges into a national park. The worst thing with this landgrab is that this is logging country and the feds don't log. Timberlands that used to be owned by paper companies are now owned by investors that are in for a quick buck. The mills all went overseas and these investors are mostly overseas. They cut and sell to the feds. Thirty years ago there were test borings done on this land. A young geologist hung around with us. He knew I taught Physics and gave me a boring sample. He knew I had a geiger counter and suggested I try it on that sample. It was a very hot sample. About a week later, he asked for it back because the feds were shutting down the operation pronto and needed every sample back. I gave part of it back. That I surmise is what this landgrab is really all about, along with getting us out of here. A lot of people accept the government controlling their lives and limiting what they can do. This is a very independant area. The only good thing is that the feds are too lazy to get out of their pickups and they are hated. No one talks to them.

23-Feb-18
The tone could be dead on. We discussed that at a meeting the other day. The county commissioners are meeting tonight on this issue.

23-Feb-18
Years ago in MN Voyagers National Park was being established. Unwilling sellers were taken to condemnation (eminent domain) court trials. After the first 3 came in MULTIPLE times the offered value the feds gave up and left the inholders alone. We kept ours until about 2014.

23-Feb-18
Greenies love national parks, no hunting. That is what they want for us ultimately. Up here we like our government close so we have a voice. This is Libertarian country where private ownership of land is favored. Welfare is frowned upon in our village, people work, mostly farming or in the woods. Some families have been here for 200 years. This is our home. Big difference between rural America and urban America. I had a petition going to stop this and have paid a price for fighting these Communists. At meetings I always read the part of Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto concerning private ownership of property, along with the American Communist Party platform. We are headed there. If only Karl could see us now, he would be so proud.

23-Feb-18
Damn, lawdy, sounds like communism to me. We are a property tax state also, which means even after you pay for it, you're still renting it from the state. Biggest bunch of bs I've ever seen. It's a good deal for the guys in the know though. They buy land in hock for taxes at pennies on the dollar. Of course anyone can bid, but most people don't even know about it, and most don't have the cash anyway. Politicians suck !

25-Feb-18
Federal government has no business buying up a bunch of land that we don't have money for, let alone overly in excess of market value. I'm only commenting based on what was written here, without a bunch or research to verify.

25-Feb-18
I'm all with the state and fed's acquiring land and keeping it open to all of us. If you turn it all over to private because "they do a better job managing it", expect to have European style hunting for our kids.

Montana continues to do so, just not at the rate that the big money people are locking us out of our public land. Time for eminent domain to open up those lands to public access with roads to them through the private.

25-Feb-18
Turning over and acquiring are two separate things. I wasn't advocating turning over, but addition of more land when our finances as a country are not in order.

25-Feb-18
Three sides to every story. Both sides then the truth. Everyone can’t work at LL cote.

• Sitka Gear