Ollie 27-Feb-18
Kdog 27-Feb-18
40 yard 27-Feb-18
Grunt-N-Gobble 27-Feb-18
Silverback 27-Feb-18
Missouribreaks 27-Feb-18
RutnStrut 27-Feb-18
22-Feb-18
I attended a meeting that the Iowa DNR held last night. It was held at many locations through out the state. Hunters can voice there opinions about things that were favorable and also voice their opinions about what is needed to change. It is a good thing that the DNR holds these meetings as it is a way to hear the voice of hunters.

One thing that was clear in the meeting is that most hunters in the state want to see crossbows allowed during the archery season. It is of my opinion that this will eventually happen.

But here is an interesting statement placed by a gentleman advocating crossbows be allowed during the archery season. "There will be a lot less wounding taking place if crossbows are allowed" He then proceeded to say how much more accurate they are than hand held bows.

I shook my head in disbelief. It got a little bit loud soon after.

22-Feb-18
I attended the same meeting (different location). I also heard that people wanted the use of crossbows. These people listed that under "items they wanted changed". Remember if only "one" person wanted that change it was put on the list.... so I don't put a whole lot of weight on the responses from different locations without knowing how many stated this. Our location had no one wanting that change. As for the "wounding".... thanks for standing up and voicing your opinion. My guess was this guy never shot a bow (or did very little practice).

22-Feb-18
Ignorant statement. I'd argue the opposite is true. But that's my experience. The crossbows (2) I've shot on the range must have 90# triggers and 12 feet of creep. lol

22-Feb-18
I’m a Life Member of the “Iowa Bow Hunters Association” even though I live in Rhode Island. Iowa is the most organized and effective bow hunting organization I know of in the US. We are provided legislative updates regularly so we’ll see how this goes. The crossbow lobby is strong and powerful but so is the IBA.

22-Feb-18
I was At the same meeting but at the Ottumwa site. The group we had had people both for and against crossbows. The way straight wall rifle cartridges were added was through the legislature without much input from the DNR. I could see the same thing happening with crossbows.

22-Feb-18
fight the good fight , boys ! Just because everybody else is doing it .....doesn't make it right.

22-Feb-18
For the average moron out there that doesn’t tune a bow or see where his broadheads hit his statement is spot on. 20 years ago I pulled my dads (broken down type 1 diabetic) crossbow out of the box and using the peep and pin system was shooting .22 rifle accuracy out to 40 yards in about 20 minutes. I was 14 and knew nothing about tuning crossbows.

His statement is true in that stated morons will be shooting better. It’s false in that crossbows will get more non shooting morons flinging arrows. I get your point but one can easily get a lot of truth from his statement. BTW I’m only for crossbows for people that are medically not able to draw a vertical bow, unless they are used in gun season then who cares.

22-Feb-18
The same arguments compound bow proponents used back in the day against stickbows. And, this forum is full of similar sentiments today, nothing new here.

22-Feb-18
Let's just create some standardized difficulty index for each weapon and everybody gets a season proportional to that. It would certainly hasten my move into trad because those guys truly do deserve more season than compounds and crossbows.

22-Feb-18
Best of luck in deferring this crossbow issue. With the backing of one of the biggest lobbying groups in the U.S. we lost in PA. Our box stores now carry more crossbows than compounds in just a few short years. I also believe attendance is down in both target and 3D archery from this. It's easier but with longer shots being taken from a lot of inexperienced hunters, I'm not so sure on the wounding.

22-Feb-18
When compound bows were introduced ,traditional shooters were upset because compounds made archery EASIER. Compound bows were still considered bows.

Archers today are not arguing that crossbows make archery easier..........Archers today are arguing that crossbows ARE NOT archery equipment. Therefore do not belong in the archery season.

This has nothing to do with deer or DEER SEASON. Or who's animal is getting killed....& by who ! It has nothing to do with triggers and wheels. It has everything to do with holding a bow in your hand and releasing an arrow with the other hand. Just because archery evolved with a compound doesn't mean you can make the jump to crossbows as a form of evolved archery.

Archery TO ME is holding your "bow" at one's arms length away from the body and drawing an arrow with the opposing arm.......using your upper body muscles steady enough to release an arrow in an accurate result. The feeling of satisfaction one gets from that is different than shooting a gun or a crossbow. Shooting a bow is quite unique and hence was given it's own unique season.

Guns and crossbows have their own unique experience and they are entitled to their own unique season. I and the others here on Bowsite that oppose crossbows in the archery season ...............oppose it for no other reason than you can't hold a crossbow away from your body and release an arrow. Crossbows are in most archery seasons and I can accept that. But , there are a few archery seasons around the country that are "crossbow free" and that sounds pretty good too.

22-Feb-18
Bill sounds to me like your a bigoted, racist bowmophobic, neanderthal. Archery- is launching an arrow, errr bolt, errr projectile with a broadhead by any means necessary. ;). It doesn’t matter if someone is born a traditional archer, law should allow them to project stuff with the means that they feel at any moment.

22-Feb-18
There are bad shooters and people who don't take the time to get good in every weapon type of hunting.

There are rifle hunters who can't hit the broadside of a barn at 200 yds, alone a 1 ft square vital area.

There are muzzy hunters who have erratic bullet flight no matter what, yet still go out into the woods.

I personally know of some archers that shoot "lights out" in league shoots yet turn deer and elk into pin cushions fairly regular.

Crossbows will add no advantage to better accuracy...

22-Feb-18
NY Bowhunters Association has been battling the crossbow crowd for a decade. They now have a 2 week window at the end of the bow season when they can be afield with their crossguns. They can also use them during the early & late muzz gun seasons and during the regular firearms season. But, they're not happy yet until they have access to the entire season.

Personally, I have always felt that: 1) older folks should be able to use them, 2) disabled folks should be able to use them. But, that hasn't been the case. I have not had issues in the field as I hunt mainly private land and other bowhunters there do not use them.

I think its a case of folks wanting things easier and not having to practice. Advertising on TV that shows them shooting them at 100 yards doesn't help. Enter "nimrod hunter" who has no bowhunting experience or blood tracking and maybe a little gun hunting experience, and behold a recipe for disaster with bolts flying at distant animals.... JMHO...

22-Feb-18
I know that every state will handle the xbow situation differently.

As many of you know, in Colorado we have 10 big game species and most tags are limited draw to some extent. A few years back, the opponents of the xbow presented a citizen's petition to the Wildlife Commission to allow xbow in archery only seasons regardless of species. Currently, the xbow can be used by one who can prove being "disabled", in the archery only seasons.

The opponents reasoning was that, the CPW was loosing a lot of money by not recruiting the youth and woman into the shooting sports and by allowing the xbow, more of them would inter and purchase licenses, also because the xbow was easier to use and needed a shorter timeline to learn.

The CBA's counter reasoning was, 1. they supported the tradition of using the hand held, hand drawn bow. 2. Bow hunter numbers have doubled to 44,000 elk and deer hunting during the past 20 years. 3. women in bow hunting has grown 100% in the last 10 years, 4. and youth participating in the sport of bow hunting and shooting and also increased tremendously. And all with the hand held, hand drawn, recurve, long, or compound bow. Growth was there. No need for the xbow in the archery only seasons. Currently also, the xbow like a rife or ML, can be used in any rife big game season and also for small game such as turkeys.

The CPW reasoning against the xbow in the archery seasons was, there are already too many bow hunter in the elk seasons,(pre mature migration) etc, and they had reason to believe that many rifle hunters would switch to the xbow and further increase the numbers of those participating in the archer only seasons. Also the concern was that the harvest numbers might go up, thus, maybe causing more game units to go from OTC to limited draw.

The wildlife commission have hearing the both side, voted 99% to remain Status Quo, not allowing the xbow in the bow hunting only seasons. One commissioner vote to allow those "over 55 years" to use a xbow. I testified that I was over 70 years and there was no reason for that and that all the "over 55ers" had to do was to pump some iron and get stronger.

As part of the CBA"s Mission Statement is the following and printed in our bylaws and in the CBA magazine. The following:

"The CBA categorically rejects crossbow technology as being legal archery equipment for use during any archer only season in Colorado, and will actively oppose the use of crossbows or implementation of crossbow seasons under any circumstance, where such use will diminish or degrade the bow hunting experience, opportunity, and /or quality with the handheld, hand drawn bow."

my best, Paul

22-Feb-18
I'm none of those.... :) ..... But, you made me laugh Link !

This thread is dealing with crossbows and their entry into Iowa's deer season.

Iowa archery deer season is considered one of the nations finest. Iowa has done a great job managing their resource. I think .. ain't broke don't fix it . Why change a thing?

22-Feb-18
Lets be honest and call them for what they are, which are crossguns.

22-Feb-18
In KS we fought it for years. What happens is the manufacturers target a state and you will lose. They go around the wildlife agencies and go direct to a state legislature where they can get votes from folks that know nothing about what they are voting on. Some legislators believe that the rut is a small ditch but their vote counts for whoever is lobbying them.

22-Feb-18
Here we deal with non-archery hunters saying all the big bucks get killed in archery season and there's none left for anyone else. And the crazy thing is other people jump on that bandwagon! I guess if it fits your agenda it doesn't matter how ignorant the statement is. My opinion is that if crossbows are introduced into archery seasons a lot of guys will pick one up, shoot it a couple times and think they're ready to hunt. If that's the case I suspect you'd see more wounding...

22-Feb-18
Link, no need to call names. Please refrain. Let's keep this thread polite so to speak. lol. People are entitled to their opinions and it is interesting and thought provoking to hear them all. I believe, from what I understand, Iowa does allow crossbows currently but only in the late muzzleloader/late archery period. I believe that one can be used if a doctors note can be obtained detailing handicap.

I just had to laugh at what I feel was an ignorant statement by that gentleman. A comment that quieted the crowd gathered was. "How many deer are wounded by shotguns?" Less than bows? as the gentleman was implying.

At my location most were in favor of crossbows for the entire archery season. And allowing senior citizens to use them during archery season if the previous would not be allowed.

22-Feb-18
IN my post, I used the word, "opponents" for the xbow presented to the wildlife commission,"... The word should have been, "proponents"--- one who advocates.

22-Feb-18
I live in Wisconsin and I can say from experience that the xbows cause a lot more wounding due to people thinking they can shoot them like guns. A lot of hunters are responsible and use hem properly but a lot think they can shoot deer at 100 yards (thanks ravin) quartering toward with an xbow. lots of deer being found dead or killed with bolts in them.

22-Feb-18
Once the manufacturers target you state, lot's of luck. Money talks and legislators have no idea about the ramifications.

22-Feb-18
keepemsharp nailed it about what happened in KS. I didn't know of a single hunter that was in favor of inclusion at the time, but a crossbow manufacture snuggled in with law makers and they got their way.

22-Feb-18
What is interesting is in states where crossbows are legal for every hunter during the general archery seasons, crossbow use very quickly outnumbers all other bows combined. Michigan and Wisconsin both have published statistics. Apparently, most current bowhunters really want to make the switch from bow hunting to crossbow hunting..... and therefore are truly in favor of crossbows whether they admit it or not.

22-Feb-18
Private Reply Grinders only you are spot on "I live in Wisconsin and I can say from experience that the xbows cause a lot more wounding due to people thinking they can shoot them like guns. A lot of hunters are responsible and use hem properly but a lot think they can shoot deer at 100 yards (thanks ravin) quartering toward with an xbow. lots of deer being found dead or killed with bolts in them.""

I used to hunt with a few guys who turned crossbow due to shoulder injuries, age ,etc. After a few losses by taking running shots, bad angles or shooting two with one arrow (geeze I didn't know a crossbow could do that), they really don't go "bowhunting" or enjoy it anymore. Wonder why that is?? Allowing cross bow didn't retain or recruit new bowhunters, it lost them.

22-Feb-18
What happen in Wi. should be a good example why x-bow should not be included. There is an ad for Ravin x-bow that say it is the New Rifle, use it and do not allow it in the bow season. I was born and worked in Ia. for 32 yrs and lived in Wi. for 21 yrs and now in Mn. for the 12 yrs and Mn. is currently fighting the fight on x-bow. The NRA and Wi. St. Reps. did an end around on the WBH and majority to attach the x-bow to its own season concurrently with the archery season with a 3 year window to evaluate on the effect of kills which this is the year to make the decision in keeping the x-bow as is or change it. My money say once it is in it will stay in, sad.

22-Feb-18
loesshills, did you not catch the facetiousness in Link's post ? It was apparent to me that he was kidding, hence the smiley-face. Carry on.......

22-Feb-18
While I am against them in Kansas they are here to stay. If you can't win the battle all together - I would strongly argue against magnification on scopes. Similar to Colorado - My muzzleloader can shoot 400+ yards, but my eyes with iron sights can only shoot about 100. Make them shoot iron sights and their range will be limited this will also help keep crossbow hunters from making 150 yard shots across ag fields. It is amazing how many kids under 18 shoot crossbows and never learn to shoot an upright bow. I don't blame them at that age most kids want to use the most powerful weapon allowed for the season to increase your chances when a kid might only go hunting a few times a season with school and sports.

22-Feb-18
Something I don’t understand is how anyone would want to carry a crossbow around, they are pretty heavy. My FIL is 74 and uses one but he purely did it to get into warmer season hunting and out of rifle.

I think it gives users a little over confidence ring they use a scope.

A buddy of mine uses one in MO and likes it over his bow, it hasn’t improved his success.

So out of the two I know that use it I don’t see it reducing wounding or improving success. I just can’t see using one over a bow.

22-Feb-18
As already mentioned I’m sure, they target the gun hunters so of course they are for including... would hate to see them be allowed in archery season down there - would imagine that would have a significant impact on nonresident tags - and many of the zones are hard to draw... since IA doesn’t allow u to downgrade weapons - I’d fight to allow for inclusion in muzzle or shotgun and stay away from archery season if you can... powerful lobby with lots of money and of course support from most gun hunters...

22-Feb-18
Two things I have observed since crossbows became legal in Michigan. Gun hunters who weren't capable of , or were too lazy to learn how to shoot archery equipment are now hunting during archery season with a crossbow. The same new "bowhunters" loose a large number of " perfect hit" deer they shoot because they never learned how to track. With many gun hunters ,the "if it didn't drop I must have missed " mentality is still how they roll. Lots of the guys who gravitated to the crossbow are hunting from the ground and that makes for a lot of scant blood trails. Factor in the " shoots as good as my gun" and now they shoot at ranges they would with their gun. More lost deer. I spend lots of time in the swamps and river bottoms in early spring. I find lots of dead deer. Sorry fellers , it's a losing battle. Lazy will win. Marketing by our " professional hunters" has sealed that deal .On good note though, most of those same "bowhunters " ain't gonna be in the woods too much. Just like with their gun season; go out on opening day late and hung over . Of the folks who are good hunters that opt for a crossbow I say good for you! A good hunter is not defined by the weapon he or she chooses. A good hunter / woodsman is a killer with whatever they choose to kill with and they won't loose much game because they will know how to operate their weapon. My opinion is that there shouldn't be any slobs hunting during any seasons. Good luck with that, right?Y'all wanna save your hunting ? The new " long range" movement in the rifle hunting world is where your efforts should be aimed. Haha no pun intended.

22-Feb-18
And now you completely embrace the xbow, catscratch

22-Feb-18
I’m gonna be honest. Besides disagreeing that it’s a bow I’m selfish and don’t want them drawing “my” tags

23-Feb-18
Embrace the crossbow? No , not at all. Just aware enough to know that they are not goin away and they are eventually gonna be allowed in most ,if not all archery seasons. Whats everyone afraid of ? Someone with a dreaded xbow is gonna get "your " buck ? Or maybe the purity of archery season will now be forever polluted ? I mean no disrespect , just don't understand how this issue matters so much. It's kinda like fly fishermen hacking on a guy who catches trout with worms. And they're both fishing on a planted stream.

23-Feb-18
There are lots of streams that are designated fly fishing only.

It’s to protect the resource. It protects the resource because it’s harder to catch fish with flies.

If you fish a waterway that is designated “ fly fishing only” with live bait, you will get a citation. Why? Because it’s considered cheating.

It doesn’t take much to see a Correlation.

23-Feb-18
DMC65, I'll tell you what im afraid of. Here in the west Im afraid rifle hunters will be crossbow hunters in archery season and as a result the OTC tags then become a draw because there is too many people in the field. That takes some hand held hand drawn opportunity away which is the very thing I dream about every year. So to some extent I am with Apauls in the selfish category. Paul@thefort, good on you and good on Colorado for pushing back. Im happy to hear there is some common sense with real data used to back it up. I see nothing wrong with crossguns. use them during the gun, muzzle and HAM seasons and stay out of the archery seasons.

23-Feb-18
Like I have said many, many times, real bowhunting and the associated culture is in a rapid decline.

23-Feb-18
z hunter - to be honest, I put one in my hands and shot two deer with it to see what the hype was about. It gave me zero advantages over my compound (same effective range, same land, same deer, same stands, same amount of movement right before the shot, etc.). In my hands it was a lateral move to the compound, but less fun to shoot and hunt with. My stint with the crossbow was short and uneventful. Those two deer would be just as dead if I had my compound in hand on those sits.

I do know a handful of rifle hunters who bought a crossbow and hunted a couple of yrs with them. They took long shots, wounded deer, and hunted many more sits than they were used to or even wanted. They burned out pretty quickly and went back to rifle hunting. A few of these guys still go out occasionally during the rut with their crossbow, but if push comes to shove and they didn't have an "anyseason" tag they would stick completely with firearms.

I have zero archery buddies who switched to crossbows. They all stayed with their compounds.

To sum it up, I've personally seen almost no impact due to inclusion so in real life it hasn't been a problem for me. I don't understand the degrading comments, name calling, and segregation of fellow hunters. I read posts demoralizing crossbow hunters (from people who justify it by saying it's too easy) and find it hypocritical. It amazes me that anyone who would use; a pile of corn, a guide, a store bought blind, a compound, a private lease, or a high fence hunt would have the audacity to criticize someone for using a crossbow. In my mind every one of the things I just listed is a far better aid for success than having a crossbow in hand. So, while I really don't care if crossbows are allowed in archery season... I do care how we treat our fellow hunters. This may be why you think I'm for crossbows, as I've defended them in the past to people who were derogatory and hypocritical.

I also completely understand that my reality in a sparsely populated area of KS may be completely different than the reality of someone in a hunter dense area of a northeastern state. If a guy in MN says that inclusion ruined his hunting then who I'm I to say it didn't. He has a much different situation than I do.

23-Feb-18
For whatever the reason, the fact remains......... when scoped crossbows become legal for all during general archery seasons, former bowhunters and other hunters flock to them in droves. Nobody to blame but hunters themselves!!!!!

23-Feb-18

Rock's embedded Photo
PSE Crossbow that mounts to a AR-15
Rock's embedded Photo
PSE Crossbow that mounts to a AR-15

Rock's Link
When the issue came to Colorado a few years ago I sent a picture similar to this one plus a few other crossbow pictures to our Wildlife commissioners asking them if this looked like a bow or a gun. The attached video is about the PSE TAC-15 crossbow.

23-Feb-18
Assault crossbow

23-Feb-18
Airbow is next, If it launches a broadhead it must be archery is the mentality.

23-Feb-18
If you read this forum carefully, these scoped crossbow weapons have become the choice of many youth hunters, by parental choice and guidance. No way will the majority of these very young children eventually switch to a compound, or stickbow. Where legal for all, these weapons are the face of our future archery seasons. But of course many on here say "so what"...as long as they do not come to my state and general archery seasons. Scoped crossbows are coming, fight hard my friends !

23-Feb-18
Did you see my Lol... lol. My argument would be to not include them in archery seasons. However, let them be used in firearms seasons. They are not hand held strings such as vertical bows. As far as wounding, wounding will happen with whatever weapon.

23-Feb-18
Let's do be honest. There are many weapons that can kill. Each one will require practice to become an expert. Few will put forth the dedication necessary to master anything, therefore creating shortcuts to any given stituation has become the norm. Some people develope a love for the journey toward mastering a practice while others simply want to take the easy street. You see this everywhere. Not only in weapon choices but also in hunting choices. Some will hunt public lands with a self bow or even a spear, on the animals most wild and evasive terms. Difficulty level (High) Others might take that same self bow or spear and hunt inside a high fence over bait with basically tame animals. (Difficulty level) Low. Hunting will survive as long as people put their money where there mouth is and make it productive and profitable for the (Hunting Industry) OR will it ever go back to when people just hunted for food? Personally, I love hunting. I hunt with a Spear, Stick bow, Recurve, Compound bow, Pistol, Rifle and I would hunt with my bare hands if I had to. The weapon of choice just changes the way I hunt.

23-Feb-18
^^^ Yes. make no mistake that they will be legal in all 50 states before long. The foot is in the door so to speak and has been for a very long time. It won't matter what hunters want now as the manufactures lobby too much money for law makers to ignore. The real question is; to what extent will they affect population numbers and age structure?

I believe it's true that MANY youth are introduced to bow season with crossbows and that will become more prevalent as time goes on. History will repeat itself and just like archery shifted from stick n string to compounds, it will shift from compound to crossbow.

23-Feb-18
loesshills, my apologies. I must have looked right through that.

23-Feb-18
Much ado about nothing. Who cares what someone else wants hunt with? Crossbows are legal in my state and it hasn't effected the way I hunt whatsoever.

23-Feb-18
I say all bowhunting seasons be traditional only. Problem solved.

23-Feb-18
I think the argument that they're not archery equipment so they shouldn't be in the archery season is a silly one. You're saying the reason they shouldn't be allowed is because they don't meet a definition. Big deal, what if they changed the name of the season from archery to something like "primitive projectile season". Then where would your argument be?

You have to have a more substantive argument than just breaking out the dictionary.

23-Feb-18
Why have a special archery season if it has no definition or limitation? Maybe it is time then for one season, hunt however you choose, scoped rifle, scoped airbow, scoped crossbow,........ hell, the sky is the limit.

23-Feb-18
“You have to have a more substantive argument than just breaking out the dictionary”

So outlined definitions and norms mean absolutely nothing. Arguements like that are why in some states people are attempting to marry their pets. When people don’t accept definitions and time honored tradition then it’s all moral relativism, what’s good for me is ok, right? If we can’t define archery as a vertical hand held launch point then how do define other game laws and bag limits? Definitions matter wether they are defined by the culture, Webster or God.

23-Feb-18
I'm not saying they don't belong in the season as defined, I don't think they do. I'm just saying hinging your entire argument on a definition is tenuous. You have to provide some other argument other than "Webster says....."

If the season definition changes then what is your argument? If the definition of archery equipment changes, then what is your argument?

Definitions change, time honored traditions change, people's perceptions change. Things change!

It would help your argument tremendously if you could explain why crossbows would a detriment to the archery season.

23-Feb-18
“No way will the majority of these very young children eventually switch to a compound, or stickbow. ”

Missouri I agree that’s exactly why my daughters won’t ever have the option of a crossbow. I also don’t want them killing deer with a gun before a bow. I want to foster the excitement of bow hunting before showing them the easy way to kill. My 8 year old daughter killed a doe this year after shooting since she was 4 and a year of not hunting, missing the legal minimum by 1 pound. If it took her until she was 14 to get the minimum she would have had to wait. Knowing it was getting to the minimum or not hunting pushed her to get there. My second daughter is weaker and she’ll likely be ten before killing a deer but if it wasn’t about the challenge I’d teach them to shoot a deer at 400 yards out the window of the car.

23-Feb-18
A good example are muzzle loaders. Years ago they were iron sited flint lock or percussion cap weapons with loose powders. They were accurate out to 75 or 100 yards if you were really good. Today they use scopes, primers, smokeless powders, and accurate out to 500 yards.

The definition of a muzzle loader has changed.

I'm just saying when your entire argument hinges on a definition then at some point in the future you're going to find yourself without much of an argument. It's already happening. The general hunting population is starting to recognize crossbows as archery equipment whether you like it or not. They're considered legal archery equipment in many states and there doesn't seem to be any slowing that down.

If you want to stop them then you're going to have to come up with a better reason to disallow them than they don't fit YOUR definition.

23-Feb-18
It hasn’t been my definition it’s been the game departments definition for a long time. I’m with Missouri if the public wants crossbows give them one season , any weapon.

23-Feb-18
If you think it's tough to draw an Iowa archery tag now, just wait until they legalize cross guns. With the thousands of bolt-ers applyling, it'll take 10 years to get drawn :-((

23-Feb-18
^ and that is the real issue, allocation of a limited resource. A lot of emotional drivel to sort through in arriving at the fact of the matter here.

23-Feb-18

Stick's embedded Photo
Stick's embedded Photo
Crossbows are just the current phase of evolution of what is considered by some as "archery". The next phase will be this...

23-Feb-18
That’s basically a crossbow without a string.

23-Feb-18
anyone who advocates for crossbows during archery season should have to make the argument and replace the word crossbow with the word rifle. then see what reaction they get. same principles apply.

23-Feb-18
Here is the 2017 Wi. x-bow vs bow deer kill results. X-bow: bucks 27,406 antlerless 19,822. Bow: bucks 25,808, anterless 19,358. Mn. x-bow is being reviewed again for inclusion, John Cumming who lived in Wi. and spearheaded the Wi. x-bow season is now living in Mn. and doing the same political activism with the MDHA to included the x-bow into the Mn. bowhunting season, the cancer is spreading unless it can be stop by bowhunters that care.

23-Feb-18
Unfortunately, it is quite obvious most hunters are really closet crossbow lovers. When crossbows are legalized, hunters flock to them. Why is that?

23-Feb-18
Here in Ontario we've had crossbows included in archery season as far back as I can remember. Other than the usual friendly rivalry between bow and crossbow hunters there has never been a problem. I can see in states where they've never been allowed there being a "rush" of people thinking that they are going to be instant deer hunters simply by buying a crossbow. Once they figure out that they suck as a hunter and still cant get close enough to kill deer efficiently they will quit and go back to hunting the gun seasons. Most will probably suck at that to. Equipment doesn't make the hunter. To kill effectively and efficiently with a crossbow the range is no different than a compound. Yes the skill required to shoot one accurately is waay less than a compound. Just my 2 cents from Canada.

23-Feb-18
Here in New York, I was totally against XBows. I won one at a pro-gun event and it sat in my closet for two years….Until I had to have surgery on my left shoulder. I decided to try to shoot the XBow. I had to google how to cock the damn thing. My shoulder got better, and in fact I bought a new Bowtech. I elk hunted in September, but while in a tree stand in October, I couldn’t draw my bow. I expect it was because my brain bullshitted my 73 year old arms that they could do stuff they shouldn’t have. I had my pro shop crank it down to 50 lbs, but still experience pain when I try to draw it back. Just had an MRI, and another surgery is in the future on the right shoulder. Maybe I can shoot my bow again and maybe I can’t but I will hunt.

23-Feb-18
Much ado about nothing. This year in Illinois with crossbows legal and excellent weather 57000 deer were taken a whopping 4000 more than last year. Worrying about crossbows in archery season ranks just behind worrying about stepping in dog poop for me.

23-Feb-18
Wish you luck... Amazingly, in MA they may be legal during archery next year. It will be interesting to see what happens out there.

23-Feb-18
petedrummond, that is the problem if you have your golden acres to hunt on it doesn't matter but if you hunt on public it is a problem. With Iowa if this passes there probably will not be a big deal the first year but after that when the big bucks kills greatly increase then you will see the state NR revenue drop for the lack of mature bucks and it will be quantity over quality and everyone will be stepping in dog poop, unless certain property owners restrict them to a QDM. Too bad bowhunting has advance to level of non-commitment. Enjoy the hunt I'm done beating this dog.

24-Feb-18
Today Feb. 24, the MDHA will vote for backing full inclusion of the crossbow. I think our DNR is trying to remain neutral as they did with the scopes on muzzle loaders. We know where the money is, so I have kind of resigned myself that it is going to happen. I e-mailed a senator on the natural resources committee. Martin Stubstad a owner of one of the largest archery shops in Minn. has made a video about crossbows and I think it might be available to watch on the Minnesota Bowhunters Inc. site.

24-Feb-18
Do what is needed to keep them out. Once they get in, they aren't going anywhere. Do NOT believe the crap the pro crossbow crowd spouts about recruitment. In WI we have almost no new hunters. It's mostly "bow" hunters taking the easy way and what were gun only guys shooting a similar weapon. Crossbows also hurt archery shops in the long run. There will be a flurry of crossbow buyers, but they sight it and forget it. Vertical bow users are always tinkering and buying different products.

24-Feb-18
Vertical bow users are always tinkering and buying different products.

You have never been on any crossbow forum most real crossbow hunters like real bow hunters whatever that is are always tinkering and buying new stuff !!! For that matter most real gun hunters do the same. I know many bow hunters that bought compounds and after being set up never went back to the archery shop either. Just more fake news !!

24-Feb-18
Martys video is spot on. Timbrhuntr you are missing the point.

24-Feb-18
Sorry didn't know there was one .

24-Feb-18
Timbrhuntr. My point was brought to my attention by 4 different Archery shop owners. Yours?

24-Feb-18
Archery shop I go to has as much or more work with the crossbow guys. I tried to find that video but couldn't.

24-Feb-18
".... My argument would be to not include them in archery seasons. However, let them be used in firearms seasons. They are not hand held strings such as vertical bows.""

They already are legal in my states firearm season that was one way to get the foot in t the door to push for full inclusion in the regular archery season. MN Bowhunters Inc. and P & Y and even a few DNR directors knew it at the time and here they come this year proposing to do just that.

24-Feb-18
The only thing I will add is if IA conservation dept is anything like MO they have already made up their mind if they are having public meetings about them. Here in Mo the MDC had public meetings to discuss the inclusion of crossbows and you could see from the start that they weren't ready for so many people to be against them. The moderator told us that our deer herd was in great shape and that it could handle the minor amount of wounding and increase in kill with the more advanced weapon. Before the season even opened they reduced our combined buck limit from three to two!!

24-Feb-18
" Crossbow hunters are taking the easy way. If you shoot a compound you have already decided to take the easy way.

24-Feb-18
Maybe not. Maybe when you started the only people you knew shot a compound so you did to. Then when you started to shoot more and saw these guys shooting stickbows and tried to ask about them and they gave you the cold shoulder and were a closed clique so you decided you would rather shoot a compound than associate with those guys and actually easy had nothing to do with it !!!!!

24-Feb-18
How about a selfbow,longbow and recurve season for 4 weeks followed by 2 weeks of mechanical bows such as compound and crossbows.

25-Feb-18
On Saturday the Minnesota Deer Hunters Assn. voted 155 to 83 to not recommend the use of crossbows in archery season

25-Feb-18
Timbrhuntr, that's one of the best full of shit excuses I have read yet. Bravo sir!

25-Feb-18
Fight the fight cause once you get them you won't be able to get rid of them, you'll soon become a minority in your so called bowhunting season... Bow season will get polluted with bozos turning you bow season into a pseudo gun season...

25-Feb-18
If there killing to many deer states should just allow 1 buck or doe, elk, ect. tag for bow, crossbow, gun, or muzzleloader like some states do. Use the weapon of your choice.

25-Feb-18
The way I see it is that nothing is static. Everything changes. Please bear with me while I cite an example. There's a river not far from my home and the state game and fish, or D.N.R. , put a " no consumption" advisory on all fish species from that river. The eatin was over but the fishing got extraordinary!! Lots of 4 and 5 pound smallmouth bass , some real nice pike for a small river and in a half day float I could average around 75 keeper or bigger fish. Loads of fun, no kill fishing! After about 6 years of having that fishery almost to myself the word got out. Next thing i knew there were guys selling guided float trips. Then the local boy scout troop started putting on a " tournament"with a paid entry. Problem with the tournament was that it was a biggest fish tournament and the weigh-in was at a city park. There were few , if any of those weighed fish that survived.in two summers that fishery was decimated. Takes a long time to replace those big fish. I could have cried over "my" fishing being ruined by some folks who sought a monetary gain. I didn't. I found a new unadulterated river to focus my attention on. For the last ten or so years I have had a blast learning the new water and have loved every minute of it! Some day I'm gonna tip over dead . I don't want to be the guy who couldn't adjust to inevitable change to my own detriment. Change happens . That doesn't mean we have to embrace it but it's up to us to not let it kill our joy. Just a footnote, the "new river" has even better fishing, more species , and no consumption advisories!! I win!!!

25-Feb-18
Hey tradmt thanks for reinforcing my comments !

26-Feb-18
In the hands of experienced Deer Hunters, the Crossbow definitely is more accurate, with resulting less wounded deer not being found.

.. ..

.. .. ..

From 2007 to 2010, I qualified for, and was accepted as a Hunting Member of Suburban Whitetail Management of Northern Virginia. During this time, an old Bowsite Member named Bogunshutze was the “Club” President.

We hunted all year-round on Kill Permits in the ‘burbs of Fairfax, Prince William, Arlington, and Loudan Counties in the Northern Virginia area, near Washington D.C. Usually this was on private “big home” properties of at least a 5 acre lot. Some of these mansions were 10 to 15 acres or more. The Deer are still so thick, that Fairfax even opened up the County Parks for Archers.

First, just to start joining the club, you had to have proof of 5 big game bowkills under you belt. Then there was an interview process, and a shooting qualification.

The Club only allowed compounds and crossbows. No Trad gear because of the closeness of hunting near people’s houses, and nearby neighbors could be anti-hunters. You just didn’t want the chance of a wounded deer dying on someone elses property after a bad shot. Seriously, only the most dedicated Trad shooter can consistently hit their target, and those who shoot Trad be honest with yourself. I have a recurve and a self made stick bow, but when I want to hit consistently past 15 yards, I will grab my Hoyt compound. I know my limitations with Trad, and won’t try to bullshit anyone about it.

To qualify with either or both the crossbow and compound, you had to hit a 6 inch diameter target two of three times at 20 and 30 yards with broadheads. If qualifying a crossbow, it could not be supported – you had to shoot it offhand standing.

My last year with the club, 2010, they finally recorded their first crossbow wounded deer that was not found. Up until that year, there had never been a crossbow wounded deer get away. With compounds, the club ran about a 5% or less non-recovery rate. I only stopped hunting with SWMNV due to the traffic on Interstate 95, as I got tired of sitting in traffic jams just to drive to and from the Kill Permit counties.

Crossbows definitely are more deadly in the hands of an experienced hunter that know about shot placement.

Now lets have an honest talk about compound accuracy. Having been required to qualify shooting my Hoyt with SWMNV, I have also had to qualify my archery skills at both the Marine Base at Quantico, VA, and when I lived in Maryland, to apply for special archery hunts there. The Quantico and Maryland qualifications were with field points, at a 12 inch target at 25 yards ( 20 for the Maryland test ). During the qualifications at both Quantico and the state of Maryland, over 50 percent of archers could not hit a 12 inch target at 25 yards with field points, two out of three shots.

My point here, concerning archers and accuracy, is that we can bad mouth gun hunters all day long, slamming them for taking up the crossbow, all the while we don’t’ even weed out those who don’t shoot compounds well enough to join a youth league.

I have shot 3D ranges in California, North Carolina, Kentucky, Virginia, and Maryland, and honestly, we have a lot of poor marksmen in our ranks. Just being honest. And certainly, there are a lot of people that are better shots than I. However, I have had to qualify several times, and have made the cut.

Yea, I know, “Everyone on Bowsite shoots a 300” – Serbian Shark, Bowsite, circa 2008

Flame away if ya want, but these are my experiences from both shooting and observing others since about 1967 or so, and my observations on those that shoot the crossbow. There is a lot less wounding with the crossbow.

Tony

26-Feb-18
" Well Tony, than why even have an "archery" season in the first place ? "

Seems with full crossbow inclusion during archery seasons, this is a very, very legitimate question. Who has the answers?

26-Feb-18
Tony, DO YOU HAVE ANY WOUNDING STATS TO BACK UP YOUR ASSERTIONS?

26-Feb-18
Can one really and truly say that one weapon wounds more or less than another?

26-Feb-18
Shooting Accuracy. To tell you the truth Tony I agree with you. On stickbow.com I see the challenge shot posted and post after post shows some great accuracy. However I have been attending traditional shoots for 25 years and somehow I have never encountered that kind of accuracy. In fact many shoot so poorly I just cringe at the thought of them shooting at live animals.

26-Feb-18
I don't know. I have been bow hunting only since 1988. I hunt with a compound and have been shooting 3D, shooting ion my back yard, and hunt everything from squirrels, to woodchucks, to turkey to deer and anything else that is huntable, I do it with a bow. After 26 years of jumping out of airplanes with the Army, my back and neck have been going down hill so badly, that last year, in Ohio, I found that I couldn't pull my bow. They gave me a crossbow to use and I just couldn't do it. I had several nice bucks under me at 12-25 yards, and it just felt so wrong that I let them go. I had one that was so close that the crossbow was across my knee and I could see the scope reticle on the bucks shoulder and could have killed it without moving a muscle... And it felt like crap. I got my neck worked on in PA 28 days ago, I pray that it gets better so that I can hunt with my bows because I really don't know if I could use a crossbow after hunting bow only for so long. It seems like cheating. I don't know..

26-Feb-18
I left the bowsite for a while because of the if you shoot a vertical bow you can't do anything wrong but if you shoot anything else your an Elmer Fudd or some kinda moron that can't find his a$$ with both hands attitude. Especially when the guys I archery hunted with had a hard time hitting the target I brought to camp until after several sessions , or the guy I hunt with who wants to stop providing archery hunts unless guys shoot crossbows because he has way too many great deer wounded and not recovered each year with vertical archery gear ! But this is all BS because oh I don't have any stats. So all apparently is still good and anyone that shoots a crossbow or rifle is a moron don't ya know or i'm sorry a bozo !

26-Feb-18
Please no calling yourself names. Lol

26-Feb-18
A slob hunter is a slob hunter - weapon choice doesn’t matter.... a gun hunter that takes shots outside of his ability is going to do it if he has a crossbow or bow in hand... on the same token someone that respects the animal and stays within their abilities is also more likely to do so independent of their weapon choice.

I realize that many of us could talk about this topic for months and still get no where...

But to me, using a crossbow is much easier to learn than a bow - period. It takes a lot of the ‘tough’ aspects out of bow hunting. I could take a person off the street and within a couple of hours have them shooting good groups at 60 within an hour or two)

Using a cross gun may not be as large of an impact for a state/area that has an over abundance and liberal seasons on turkey, deer, etc. The reason I started hunting archery is I wanted more of a challenge, less crowded public lands, etc. allowing someone with a Xgun to apply and hunt off an archery tag - messes up that balance for me in most areas I enjoy hunting. let’s face it, out west, there just aren’t enough, elk, mule deer, antelope, etc to go around for everyone who wants to hunt. I make no apologies in my belief that hunting with a cross gun should NOT apply to archery only seasons... (though I have no problem with them for the disabled, elderly hunters, or say youth 14 and under)

I take a ‘non-socialist’ view on it I guess.... if you want to apply and hunt archery seasons - you are more than welcome to pick up a bow and apply/Hunt... practice hard, refine and perfect your craft and abilities... no one is trying to be mean by not allowing xguns during archery or not supporting other hunters which is always a humorous rallying cry - not everyone wins,and gets a trophy in life...

26-Feb-18
I have been fighting against crossbows in archery season in Minnesota for the last ten years. Everybody for them claims that they are no different than compound bows, so last spring I decided to find out for myself. I went and bought a Ravin R9, and boy was I surprised. In less than 2 dozen shots I was shooting 3 inch groups at 50 yards, within another couple dozen shots i was shooting 3 inch groups at 100 yards. There is no way the average person can match that with a vertical held bow. And yes I am going to be trading it in on a new Mathews this spring. There is no way this type of crossbow should be allowed during archery season!!!

26-Feb-18
BY the way, in Minnesota you can use a crossbow if you are 60 years old, and I will be 72 this August

26-Feb-18
How much you letting the Raven go for? :)

26-Feb-18
40 Yard’s tale is very telling. Who’s kidding who...

26-Feb-18
ia Hawkeye,

.. ..

.. ..

My old computer crashed a couple of years ago, and all I can find is a December 2009 newsletter.

Before the end of Dec 2009, the years tally was 403 deer were hit, 377 were found. 26 were not found. It did not break down the compound versus crossbow number of hits.

Bogunshutze ( Ralph ) had informed me, that from the "Clubs" inception in 1997, until 2010, there had been zero deer unrecovered when shot by a crossbow.

I would suggest you contact the "Club" directly, and ask for the breakdown. WWW.DeerDamage.org is the website.

I just find it very ironic that we bemoan the crossbow, stating the anyone can be tack driving at 50 yards after an hours training session, then scoff at the idea that crossbows wound less than compounds.

I, too, think that crossbows shoud have been kept in gun seasons. But they have not been.

Since we cannot put that Crossbow Genie back in the bottle, we shoud look at hunter inclusion instead, and fight the anti-hunters, and the dwindling numbers of those who hunt in general, with the inclusiveness of all who shoot a stringed bow of any type.

. . . . or, we can "elite" ourselves right out of any hunting at all, much like the demise of Oregon Bear Hunting with hounds, and other states like Colorado, where the dwindling numbers of hunters are losing our voice. . . . .

I think it was several years ago, that Matt said, "There will be archery seasons only as long as the gun hunters tolerate us." ( or words to that effect )

Tony

26-Feb-18
Lets get back to the original post.... crossbows are threatening the Iowa archery deer season....

The Genie in Iowa is not out of the bottle. And I don’t feel it is elitist to ask Iowa DNR to keep archery season for those that use bows and arrows.

26-Feb-18
Well, Bill, CompoundGuns are legal . . . . . . so I contend the Genie has been out of the bottle for decades.

26-Feb-18
Or 40 yards tale is just self serving.

26-Feb-18
I Agree Tony..generally speaking he is out of the bottle..... but not in Iowa .

Yet

26-Feb-18
Shooting a compound is easy to. I had both my daughter's shooting 10s at 20 yards in 4 sessions and im not much of a coach. Took me a week to be able to shoot consistently at 60 yards. I wanted for moose. In this I agree with the trad guys. If you want it hard get a stick bow.

26-Feb-18
Alrighty then Bill. You, Charlie, and others, fight the good fight in Iowa. I will be praying for ya.

.. ..

.. ..

Just make sure you fight with facts and not emotion, otherwise, the crossbow guys (crossgun for the real haters) will kill ya.

26-Feb-18
I think it should be up to the residents of Iowa to decide whats best for Iowa, not the people from Mn, Virginia, or Ontario

26-Feb-18
There is no question that a crossbow is easier to shoot than a compound, especially if you use a rest, like a quad pod and limit your range. My son has killed 9 deer in the last 3 years, he is 12. He shot 4 this year and not one went more than 20 yards, but I have taught him to wait for the perfect shot, and all shots were 15 yards or less. (Big advantage of using bait, lol. Anyway, I am pushing him to use a bow and he is almost there. The problem is since a crossbow is easier to shoot I think it lends itself to taking more chances. So ultimately it still comes back to the person behind the weapon. I do not feel using a crossbow is bow hunting, but at the same time I don't really see how it hurts those who want to use a bow?? It's not like it is loud like a gun and it is still a limited range weapon. You really don't have to look any farther than the neighboring state of Wisconsin to see what will happen if crossbows are allowed......people will switch to using a crossbow. I think it is because they were never really hard core bow hunters in the first place. It was just their chance to get out and hunt before gun season.

26-Feb-18
Why did he kill so many is he hungry?

26-Feb-18
That's what I was wondering?

26-Feb-18
That's what I was wondering?

27-Feb-18
"Why did he kill so many is he hungry? "

.. .. ..

.. .. ..

The survey says (No. 1 Answer): because he was hunting.

;^)

27-Feb-18
petedrummund - My son has never seen a deer he didn't want to shoot! Fact is though We should have shot more, we have a lot of deer.

27-Feb-18

27-Feb-18
I think it should be up to the residents of Iowa to decide whats best for Iowa, not the people from Mn, Virginia, or Ontario I agree but it seems by the topic heading that this was not a thread about whether crossbows should be allowed in Iowa but the intellect of crossbow hunters !

27-Feb-18
And....nonresidents can hunt, own land AND PAY TAXES in many different states from which they reside and claim as their primary residence. This is not the United States of Iowa!

27-Feb-18
"I do not feel using a crossbow is bow hunting, but at the same time I don't really see how it hurts those who want to use a bow?"

I could care less if a person wants to use a crossbow in a muzzleloading or gun season. But no one does! People only want to substitute them for hand-held bows in archery-only seasons because they perceive them as being easier to shoot and more accurate and more gun-like. In many western states, game populations cannot handle increased harvest. Permitting crossbows to be used during archery-only seasons in those state will eventually result in archery-only seasons being reduced. Do you want your elk/mule deer seasons reduced so that crossbow hunters can join in? I sure don't.

27-Feb-18
You make a great point Ollie, but there are many ways harvest numbers can be addressed. I am not a crossbow advocate. I find them to be somewhat scary. I cannot imagine carrying around a cocked crossbow on a spot and stalk hunt. But the crossbow has put my son miles ahead in terms of bow hunting. The crossbow will be put down and put away within the next year or so and he will move up to a compound. But we have had 3 great years of ethical hunting with it....all I am saying is they do have their place.

27-Feb-18
About 10 years ago I attended a meeting put on by the Mn DNR in western Mn. At that meeting there were about 45 hunters that were in attendance, about 5 bow hunters, half a dozen muzzleloaders , and the rest were gun hunters. When the topic of crossbows came up the gun hunters thought that seemed like a good idea, until I asked if the archery season kill went up could it effect the number of permits and length of the gun season. When the DNR said it could all of a sudden the gun hunters were against it and the topic was dropped

27-Feb-18
"Since we cannot put that Crossbow Genie back in the bottle, we shoud look at hunter inclusion instead, and fight the anti-hunters, and the dwindling numbers of those who hunt in general, with the inclusiveness of all who shoot a stringed bow of any type."

This I agree with.

We, as bowhunters, are our own worst enemy.

Question........ If your kid wants to go hunting with you, no matter the age and where legal, and they want to use a crossbow and only a crossbow...... Is there a single Dad or Mom here that is going to tell their kid NO, you can't hunt with me unless its with a vertical bow? Something to think about.

27-Feb-18
I agree Timbrhunter. Many of those complaining how easy it is to shoot a crossbow are in fact using a compound. Why? because it doesn't take the commitment it does to shoot a traditional bow accurately. It is just another means of taking the easy way. I wouldn't have such a hard time disagreeing with them on the crossbow ban if they included compounds. Unless compounds are included I am for shooting whatever you want including crossbows.

27-Feb-18
Geeze, some post crossbows are too bulky to carry and hunt with, others claim their young children will not hunt without them. Who is correct?

27-Feb-18
"all I am saying is they do have their place."

Yes they do. In gun season, or for the elderly, young or disabled in bow season.

• Sitka Gear