General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
Knothead 20-Mar-18
StickFlicker 20-Mar-18
yooper89 20-Mar-18
LINK 20-Mar-18
Knothead 20-Mar-18
20-Mar-18
https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/593001800/decline-in-hunters-threatens-how-u-s-pays-for-conservation

kind of a long read but interesting none the less.

20-Mar-18

StickFlicker's Link
Here's the link.

20-Mar-18
I saw this on another forum. Haven't gotten through the whole article yet, though.

20-Mar-18
So in ten years my 15 points will be overkill for a top tier elk unit in any state. I get it, baby boomers are disappearing fast, millennials are glued to their devices. As millenials get older and tired of social media a certain percentage will turn to the outdoors though. Many things are cyclical and hunting likely is as well.

20-Mar-18
I tell my students all the time that they will eventually start to give up on the importance of a cell phone, snap-chat, instagram etc once they have children and families of their own. I'm not convinced they believe me. That being said, in the last two months, my wife's employer fired 3 people all over the age of 30 due to cell phone usage in the work place. This after they were warned on multiple occasions and even written up and put on probationary status. It is like a drug for some.

With regard to the article I believe one of the ways G&F depts are compensating for the reduced hunter numbers and income they would provide by purchasing licenses is charging application fees. Don't raise license and tag fees necessarily but charge EVERYONE just to apply and per species. The ability to purchase bonus points is a big money maker as well. All profit and zero asset loss.

• Sitka Gear