jfish 22-Mar-18
cnelk 22-Mar-18
Jaquomo 22-Mar-18
Mule Power 23-Mar-18
BigOzzie 23-Mar-18
Jaquomo 23-Mar-18
bill v 24-Mar-18
22-Mar-18
I picked up a used wall tent the other day 14' x 16' x 5' 12oz. My plan is to use it for traveling to archery shoots. I am searching for a couple of opinions regarding wall tents.

1. I am looking into angle kits and conduit for an interior frame structure. Is that the best frame design if I do not plan on packing the tent?

2. Does the canvas need to be treated? being used I cannot tell if it has been treated or not and I am not sure what to treat canvas tents with.

all opinions welcome. thanks. oz

22-Mar-18
Ive used 'Canvac' to treat my wall tents - use a pump garden sprayer and let dry

I build my own frame. I use a 2 pc vertical center pole with 2 elbows made from the top rail of chain link fence. The ridge pole is sections that slip together. I then have wooden eave poles to support the wall. Pull the guy ropes tight and you're all set

You can cover the tent with a tarp if you

View post on imgur.com

22-Mar-18
As Brad said, you can buy and use the angle kits. Military supply depots have them much more affordable then wall shop sellers. Or, yo can build your own. I use the premade angle kits and metal conduit. I like the legs down the sides. Main thing is you have an internal frame. Good luck and God Bless

22-Mar-18
I also bought the made conduit and angles to form an internal frame and it is very nice, but very heavy! Used to use 4”PVC to make a “3” that would form the front, middle and rear ridge pole with legs.

22-Mar-18
IMO, the frames that don't have the center poles are much better...prefer the aluminum frame myself.

22-Mar-18
If the tent doesn't leak, there is no reason to treat it. When it was new the owner should have soaked it with water and that makes it waterproof once dry. If not, the Canvac, mentioned earlier works fairly well. If you plan on being in a lot of rain, get some of the visqueen with the nylon threads. Just as tough as any tarp and allows light through.

I like a center pole to hang wet things from. Some rope loops over the pole and hangers allow you to dry gear.

I don't know if they are available, but Canvas Cabin had a great pole system that had both a ridge pole and supports that left the door areas wide open. Heard they couldn't get the AL anymore but you could check. They are in OR.

22-Mar-18
I'm in favor of them!

22-Mar-18
I suppose I should clarify after seeing LKH's comment.....the center poles I'm talking about are the vertical poles...not the center ridge.....every frame HAS to have that ridge.

Those vertical center poles get in the way....BIG difference without them.

22-Mar-18
In the middle of building an internal frame for a 14x16 Davis right now. Cut the 20 pieces of EMT conduit and seems to work out perfectly per Davis spec. Kinda surprised at the weight? No question it’s heavy. Are the internal design frames better than say an external pole design? Other than the center poles in the tent are there other differences and does it weight less?

22-Mar-18
This is the classic way a wall tent should be set up.

I cut the poles and drag them off into the timber for next time

View post on imgur.com

22-Mar-18
I've had all three styles ( internal, external with center poles, and Deliverance style like cnelk. The aluminum internal frame is the only way to go.. I could set my tents up by myself with that if needed. Square aluminum is way lighter than the EMT frames.

23-Mar-18
The Wall Tent Shop sells angle kits at a reasonable price

23-Mar-18
thanks guys. Will do some shopping this weekend, I think I will do the interior EMT frame. Not too worried about the weight it will not be packed anywhere that i know of. I think I will go without treating it for now and see what happens.

thanks. oz

23-Mar-18
If you're going to have it up for any period of time in sunlight you'll be doing yourself a favor to tarp it. Sun rot is insidious and a blue tarp is cheap insurance. The fabric can look solid but it fatigues.

I learned this the hard way when I went to knock some snow off and my hand went right through the fabric. We started tarping ours after that.

24-Mar-18
I myself only use the centre poles, I have a pieced center pole and 3 -1 piece uprights. Thats it, its all we use, once the tent is secured, the tent holds the poles in place.

bill v

• Sitka Gear