BULELK1 18-Apr-18
midwest 18-Apr-18
midwest 18-Apr-18
midwest 18-Apr-18
12yards 18-Apr-18
Amoebus 18-Apr-18
Jaquomo 18-Apr-18
09-Apr-18
I can think of 1 of our bowsite family heading to Boston for the big race.

Any others running it this year?

Run like the wind 'midwest' !

Good luck, Robb

09-Apr-18
Thanks Robb! 1 week!

09-Apr-18
Are you carb loading?

Good luck Nick!

09-Apr-18
Good luck!!!

09-Apr-18
Best of luck, I hope you have a blast Nick. What are your goals for this year?

09-Apr-18
Good luck midwest. Hope you get some time to check out the sites. Great seafood.

09-Apr-18
Look luck Nick! Quite the accomplishment to qualify...well done!

I just can't believe you're missing 1st turkey season for the Boston Marathon.

Priorities man.....;)

09-Apr-18
Looking forward to your photos and hearing of your accomplishment, Nick! You got this!

09-Apr-18
Thumbs up Nick. Post that pic of your shirt you'll be wearing

09-Apr-18
Good luck, Nick!

09-Apr-18
Have fun Nick.

09-Apr-18
Good luck Nick!

09-Apr-18
Break a leg, Nick!

Wait!.....uh, um, I mean best of luck, buddy!!

09-Apr-18
The race is just a victory lap with all of the training you put in.

Soak it all in. Enjoy Patriot's Day and I will be following you Nick!

09-Apr-18
Good luck, Nick!

Takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get in shape for those kinds of events. Have fun!

If you’re really crazy, you could try the Leadville 100!

09-Apr-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Mighty Maxson!
midwest's embedded Photo
Mighty Maxson!
Thanks everyone. Training for a spring marathon is not fun. I refuse to run on a "dreadmill" so all my running was outside all winter long. I've put on over 800 miles since last mid-November. Getting myself out the door on the real crappy days made me realize how tough guys like Z Barebow are. He's trained for several spring marathons, including Boston, up there in the freaking fridgid winters of Fargo!

Kody Kellom of BRO was kind enough to send me the artwork for my race day singlet. I wanted to wear something to promote patriotism and hunting. I thought the "Land of the Free" logo was perfect!

#CureSMA is for my little grand nephew "Mighty Maxson" who was diagnosed with spinal muscular atrophy just before his first birthday. He is a huge inspiration for me and a constant reminder of how fortunate I am to be able to run.

09-Apr-18
Well when you pass me on the course I should be able to identify you. Good luck. I'm hoping the rain holds off and we get a westerly wind.

09-Apr-18
Good luck, Nick! I'll be watching on TV with a bag of Fritos in my lap and a six pack of Fat Tire..

09-Apr-18
Good luck, dakotahunter! What wave and corral? Ditto on the weather forecast....rain and a 15-25 mph head wind....yuck!

09-Apr-18
I'm in wave 2 corral 3. I haven't put in near the miles you have for this race. I'm just going out there to take in all the experiences of the race so I wont be setting any PR's. And having plenty of Samuel Adams afterwards.

09-Apr-18

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Nick/Scott- You earned your way to Boston. No other marathon compares. I watch it every year. Little advice/reminder- Buy yourself a dollar store air mattress to sit on while you hang at Hopkington school. (Saves you from freezing to death) Toss it when you are ready to roll up to corrals.

Cherish that finish medal.

09-Apr-18
Good luck guys! Not an "easy one" for all the reasons you've mentioned!

I'm not running but our oldest daughter will be running...her second Boston (fourth marathon overall)!

She's had to do the 20M dreadmill runs as well this winter...ugh!

Our family will be there and cheering her (and you guys) on!!!

Mark

09-Apr-18
Awesome Nick! I can't wait to see finish pics!

09-Apr-18
Good luck and I agree with you about the treadmills. Never cared for them, but -20F days can make you regret that decision.

Also ditto on heading to the thrift store and stocking up on some $2 layering. Have a good BRO singlet and then put the cheap stuff over it. At mile 2, donate the first $2 shirt, repeat until comfortable. It is a lot less stressful than trying to keep your good running stuff or freezing at the start because you are there in a singlet.

I think the former Viking long snapper Mike Morris helps out with the SMA charity. Best of luck to Maxson.

10-Apr-18
Best of luck Nick! Have a great run!

I have a running friend that has done it over 25 consecutive years! Another friends leg broke (stress fracture from lots of miles on a dreadmill!) about 1 mile from the finish. Days later, when discharged from the hospital, he finished the race on crutches! He had his Dr's approval and a nurse, who was a Boston finisher, accompanied him. Edit: A local TV station filmed his finish too!

10-Apr-18
Good luck Nick and everyone else running! I ran the 100th Boston in 96, 40,000 runners. They had 2 feet of snow the week before and that ground gets cold sitting on it for a few hours. I`ll never forget the feeling after the race, it will bring tears to your eyes. Also got to use the 1/4 mile long urinal, that was before cell phones, don`t know what they use now, let us know? It took me 35 seconds to cross the start line, I was up front.

11-Apr-18

12-Apr-18
I'm sitting here doing my Nv. application and I have the TV on the Weather Chanel.

Looks wet and windy in the AM.......

With all the outside training you have done all winter long-------->

You should be just fine.

#LovinLife

Robb

12-Apr-18
Good luck Nick!

12-Apr-18
Great outfit! And great cause! Good Luck!

12-Apr-18
Yep, weather forecast looks pretty bad. 100% chance of rain, possibly over an inch, ESE winds 20-30 mph which would be straight in our face the entire race.

#embracethesuck

12-Apr-18
Good luck, and pray the dirt bags leave the race alone - God speed (spiritually & literally) to you and all the runners.

12-Apr-18
Good Luck Man, go show them how bowhunters do it:)

Love the duds man!

12-Apr-18
Nick look on the brite side, you won't break a sweat the whole race if you're only wearing that shirt and shorts. Might die of hypothermia but at least you won't be sweating.

Find a really fast big guy to draft off of to cut the wind. :)

12-Apr-18
Best of luck Nick!

14-Apr-18
You traveling east today Nick?

Exciting for you and our other bowsite family.

Believe in yourself!

Good luck, Robb

14-Apr-18
Good luck, Nick.

15-Apr-18
Looks like it's going to be cold tomorrow. Good luck!

15-Apr-18
Get'em Nick and Dakota!!!! You guys are awesome.

16-Apr-18
Today is the day. Be safe and run smart. my best, Paul

16-Apr-18
Ruuunnnn Nick..... Ruuuunnnn!

16-Apr-18
Good luck today Nick. One step at a time !! Hunt

16-Apr-18
And their off, radar looks horrible over Boston right now.

16-Apr-18
Wet and windy. Good luck!

16-Apr-18
Show em what the mountains do to a man!

16-Apr-18

Z Barebow's Link
To track Nick and Dakota, you can enter their names within tracker link. It is wet!

16-Apr-18
Nick is clicking along nicely. 1:43:38 at the half. Dakota is approaching the 1/2 way point.

16-Apr-18
Thanks for the update

16-Apr-18
Scott came through at 1:52:16.

Leaders have finished. American woman wins for the first time since the 80's. The weather conditions definitely affected the times and favorites. I saw the interview with winning woman and she may have been hypothermic.

16-Apr-18
Nick is through the hills and rock steady. (Just passed the 20 mile mark). This is the toughest part of any marathon. Your mind and body are no longer on speaking terms. He is on pace for a sub 3:30 finish.

16-Apr-18
Scott may be walking. He could be cramping as he made it through the hills, but the cold rain can mess you up. Nick is hammering and wants this thing over with. Last mile + is at 7:38 pace. ~ 7K to go.

16-Apr-18
Scott is back running and Nick has a mile to go!

16-Apr-18
Nick Finishes! ---- time - 03:27:51

16-Apr-18
Way to go!!!!

16-Apr-18
What a great accomplishment! I've got a lot of respect for someone with that much desire to go that far and that long, while running. Awesome, Nick!

16-Apr-18
Nicely done Nick! Just to put Nick's marathon in perspective. He AVERAGED a 7:56 pace. (Hop on a treadmill at 7.5 MPH and that is what he averaged for 26.2 miles) Nick's bib # 14341 indicates he had the 14341st fastest qualifying time by registrants. But he finished in 7034th. He moved up over 7000 places over other racers. Lastly, I am not saying Nick is old, but he is eligible for AARP! Great job buddy! A nice hot shower, a nap, are in order. Then eat some meat and drink some Sam Adams! You earned it.

16-Apr-18
Wow very impressive Nick! Congrats!

16-Apr-18
Scott is through 40K. Less than 2M to go.

16-Apr-18
Congrats Nick!!

Looked for you but never saw you!

You crushed it at 3:27:15!!!

42, rain the entire time into a 20-25mph headwind.

16-Apr-18
Congrats Nick!!

Looked for you but never saw you!

You crushed it at 3:27:15!!!

42, rain the entire time into a 20-25mph headwind.

16-Apr-18
Oops....very cold hands:)

Mark

16-Apr-18
Way to go guys! This takes some serious guts! Congratulations on accomplishing something very few have the fortitude to try!

16-Apr-18
Scott is in at 4:08:00. Congratulations!

16-Apr-18
That's awesome. Congrats to Scott

16-Apr-18
Congrats dakotahunter well done!

16-Apr-18
Congrats guys! Extremely impressive!

16-Apr-18
Badass. Hats off to you my friend

16-Apr-18
Congrats on great times both of you!

16-Apr-18
Outstanding job guys - I watched it but never saw either of them. First time I've watched it - wow, with that many runners how can you even keep your feet under you???? impressive both of you!

16-Apr-18
Way to go guys. Amazing to me! Hunt

16-Apr-18
impressive as heck well done

16-Apr-18
Congrats on a helluva accomplishment, Nick!

16-Apr-18
Awesome job guys! What a rough day to run it.

16-Apr-18
Congratulations!!!

I can’t run it cause of my knees, but even if I could, I wouldnt lol...

Really badass on getting it done!

16-Apr-18
Great job! Damn!

16-Apr-18
Good job Dakota and Nick. Awesome feat.

16-Apr-18
Impressive runs guys. I ran it in 1986 at the age of 21 in 3:33, in much nicer weather.

Never again :-)

17-Apr-18
Big Time Congrats you 2 bowsiters!!

What determination and guts you both have to not only compete but to finish in those conditions for 26 + freaking miles.

Good luck, Robb

17-Apr-18
Great work to all! Very nice!

17-Apr-18
Awesome job both of you! Congratulations!

17-Apr-18
Sweet job you guys. A steady rain and wind will sap your strength. I bet a good day will find you 20-25 min faster.

17-Apr-18
Hey thanks, all! We embraced a lot of suck yesterday! The weather was brutal. Snow on the ground when the bus pulled in to the starting area at Hopkinton. Temps in the upper 30's to start. It was a steady rain in between sheets of rain and winds blasting us in the face the entire run. I had 4 layers on top, full length pants, fleece hat, and gloves on. I was soaked clear through within 2 miles but my core and head were warm. Figured I would peel off layers as I ran but never did get warm enough for that.

I was thinking this must be what it's like to draw a dream elk tag, then get there and have horrible conditions. I guess you just suck it up and do the best you can.

A great experience over all and I thank you all for cheering us on!

17-Apr-18
Congrats guys. I watched. You guys have the fortitude and drive to hunt anywhere

17-Apr-18
Way to persevere those rough conditions, Nick! Congratulations on an incredible accomplishment!

Maybe next time, you could do a semi-live version, so we can better follow you progress! ;-)

17-Apr-18
Congrats gentlemen!!! Beyond impressive!

17-Apr-18
Those were some brutal race conditions yesterday! Anyone that finished the full deserves a full sense of accomplishment as the mental aspect had to be put into survival mode early. Congratulations for what you achieved!

17-Apr-18
Good job midwest.

17-Apr-18
I'm reading about how people wore plastic bags in between layers to keep dry, still got soaked, were suffering more than normal. The first thought that occurred was why don't people wear a thin waterproof breathable outer layer? Does it hold too much heat? More than plastic bags? Just curious.

17-Apr-18
Lou

I had not read about who suffered more. They could have taken lessons from guys on here. When I was running actively, I would start with a thin merino wool base layer. Outer layer is a jacket/windshell. In-between layers are dictated by temperature. Many runners are fixated with their "tech" clothing. Great if it is warm. Sucks for thermal properties. (I don't care what UA says) A thin skull cap, thin fleece headband, and thin gloves would work. Drop the headband around your neck if you get too warm. Keep in mind, many of the runners do not run in cold weather. Much less rain/cold/wind. It also depends upon how fast you run. Slower runners will suffer more. (My opinion) A windshell jacket with a long sleeve merino wool top would have been my choice. Regulate body core heat during race by unzipping jacket.

In a marathon, you will be wet. Even with good weather. The more clothing you wear, the more you have to get wet. When you finish, have some dry clothes ready and get out of your running clothes ASAP.

17-Apr-18
I would think that trying to wear rain gear that would keep the wet out would cause some serious sweating / dehydration issues ..... especially 26 miles worth?????

17-Apr-18
Insart- You are right. No way I would wear rain gear. My shell is vented in back and I am still wringing wet. I would wear a garbage bag as a poncho until T-1 Minute and then rip and toss it.

17-Apr-18
Wow, how you can run that long is beyond me. My hats off to you gents.

17-Apr-18
wow. That's pretty cool Nick. Congrats! Up there in rare air!

With a performance like that.... I'd let you help pack out my elk sometime...... =D

18-Apr-18
Kinda kool that the 2nd place finisher was a gal that went to our local college, Weber State University.

She did well

#LovinLife

Robb

18-Apr-18

midwest's embedded Photo
In front of Paul Revere's house.
midwest's embedded Photo
In front of Paul Revere's house.
midwest's embedded Photo
Post race recovery drinks.
midwest's embedded Photo
Post race recovery drinks.
midwest's embedded Photo
Union Oyster House
midwest's embedded Photo
Union Oyster House
Best part of the whole experience was having family there, including both my daughters and grandkids.

18-Apr-18
Image tools won't work for the last two photos so can't rotate.

18-Apr-18
Lots of details I learned about clothing but won't bore you with the details. I wouldn't be hunting in those conditions anyway so it won't translate over. If I was on a hunt in Alaska, I'd be huddled in a tent waiting for the weather to pass.

18-Apr-18
Nothing but respect and admiration for you marathoners. I run 3 miles and I'm shot. Well done!

18-Apr-18
Do they do any memorials for the bombing? Moment of silence, etc?

I can't imagine I wouldn't be running that last stretch looking to my left...

18-Apr-18
Nick, your photo looks like "Team Mossback" without camo. And much better looking!

:-)

• Sitka Gear