TXHunter 11-May-18
Zim1 11-May-18
BULELK1 13-May-18
Mad Trapper 14-May-18
MQQSE 14-May-18
Treeline 14-May-18
MQQSE 14-May-18
09-May-18
Wyoming will have the results tomorrow at 10:00am. Good luck everyone who applied!

09-May-18
I dropped out this year. I'm really looking forward to looking at the apps data to see how many of us did. GL to those in the draw.

09-May-18

IdyllwildArcher's Link

09-May-18
Fingers crossed for a Bull Moose tag!!!!

10-May-18

Bowboy's Link
Just a few hours away!

10-May-18
Can’t wait. I’m in for all four.

Good luck to all!

10-May-18
Damn it all! No moose tag!

10-May-18
No goat tag for me.

10-May-18
All unsuccessful for me.

Looks like application numbers didn't change much in spite of the NR price hikes. Not considering the PP draws, but just looking at the 5 random-draw zones for sheep, NR applications increased from 2410 last year to 2501 this year. For Moose, in the random-draws, NR apps stayed about the same @ 1387 this year compared to 1395 last year. For Mt Goat, NR apps increased from 1070 last year, to 1214 this year. The license price hike might have affected NR Bison apps, but not a huge amount, with apps falling from 754 the prior year, to 640 this year.

10-May-18
No buffalo or moose for me

10-May-18
Nothing again !!!!

10-May-18
I get a big refund

10-May-18
Nothing, I had a "reasonable" shot at moose and sheep.

10-May-18
No bison or moose for me.

10-May-18
Checked I was exactly one point off moose and sheep for a sure draw, maybe next year!

10-May-18
The total preference points report isn't out yet (and won't be till the point purchase window closes in October), but the price increase did drop moose apps some, or at least halt progression of new apps. We don't know how many people stopped buying points yet.

In the years between 2014-2017, the number of applicants in the random pool INCREASED by an average of 144 applicants per year. Between 2017 and 2018, total applicants in the random pool DECREASED by 24, for a total of 168 less expected applicants based on 4 year average. That's a DECREASE of just over 8.1% of expected apps when the number of apps had been INCREASING 8.7% per year in the years between 2014 and 2017.

It's not a huge reversal, but it is a complete 180. It'll be very interesting to see how many people who just buy a point every year will drop out as the folks who actually apply with less than enough points to apply are probably a slightly more passionate group than the point bankers.

10-May-18
Not as drastic of an effect in the sheep draw. In the random pool, the same years had an increase of 180 sheep apps per year. Sheep apps still increased between 2017 and 2018, but by 138 apps, 42 apps less than average and a decrease of just 23% of the average apps that would have been expected to apply.

I wonder how much of it had to do with people applying who were trying to cash out. Again, we won't know till the total point purchases come out in November.

10-May-18
Drew a unit 18 moose tag! Should be a good time, my Uncle Gordon is going with me, he has stock and was a sheriff, am glad I have him for backup as I hear it is loaded with bears. Am also glad to be out of that state's pp system.

10-May-18
18 pts for me now, just too many to bail, 53yo, gotta outlive everyone else.

10-May-18
Congrats Dan! Sounds like a great adventure for you this Year

Best of Luck, Jeff

10-May-18
Grats Dan. CWeeks, you'd be crazy to bale with 18. You'll get your moose soon.

10-May-18

Bowboy's Link
Here's the drawing odds.

10-May-18
Finally! Drew a unit 26 moose tag. Can't wait for September and glad to be out of the Wyoming points game.

10-May-18
Thank you guys, appreciate it! It should be a fun hunt!

10-May-18
For the first time in my life I was happy to see I did not draw WY sheep. I am getting close, maybe next year...

10-May-18
Good luck to everyone who drew.

10-May-18
Congrats to those who drew. I really am happy for those who have waited so long.

I had 16 moose points and seem to be getting further behind. As I expected, it seems that point creep jumped at least a couple of years in the units I've been watching. Haven't studied it all yet, but can see enough that it really is discouraging. With the increase in cost of buying additional points I don't know why anyone would stay in the game to accumulate more. They are bailing out while they can and dropping to lower tier units in the process.

If I'm counting correctly there were 50 bull or any moose tags issued to non - residents this year. There were 965 people who had MORE than16 points going on to the draw and another 400+ that had the same 16 that I have.

At age 63 I am really wondering if there is a reason to stay in. Throwing away 16 points would make me vomit, but I just don't know anymore. It's going to take 27 years to clear everyone from my point pool. Of course, some of those people will die off, so that will shorten the wait. Problem is, my chance of being one of those who dies off is probably better than the chance of drawing a tag.

10-May-18
Whip, that's just if you hold out for 38. There are units you could draw sooner.

11-May-18
Good friend drew unit 17 moose!

11-May-18
Ike, I know that is the worst case scenario. It looks like there were actually two units that I could have had a tag this year and 5 others where I would have had at least a chance in the preference point pool. Some of them look like a lot of private land, and since I had hoped to hunt DIY they really aren't good options for me. The units I had hoped to hunt have actually gotten further out of reach - I have lost ground and don't see much chance of ever drawing them.

My only option is to pick different units, throw an app in for them, and hope none of those 965 people in front of me come to the same conclusion. There is only 1 NR tag available in the preference point pools so it only takes one person with more points than me to bump me out again.

11-May-18
Congrats to the lucky winners!

Whip, hunting private land doesn’t exclude you from a DIY. Many landowners allow moose hunting for a reasonable trespass fee, while others don’t charge a thing since they consider moose a pest. When I drew my tag I had access to several ranches. All it cost me was a few bottles of Crown. ;-)

11-May-18

TXHunter's embedded Photo
TXHunter's embedded Photo
Well, this was a bolt out of the blue! :)

11-May-18
Wow, TXHunter, congrats!

11-May-18
Some great tags pulled here guys! Congratulations to the lucky ones!

11-May-18
Congrats to all the lucky drawers!

11-May-18
Nada on Goat for me. Congrats TXhunter.

11-May-18
Thanks guys, super excited - still pinching myself!

11-May-18
Mitch, Good Choice. I did the same as you a few years ago. Just wanted to cash out and quit their high cost nonrefundable point scheme. Was split between 20 & 26. Made the wrong choice 20 and ended up neck deep in wolves. You should have a much better hunt down there, and you can then quit their expensive game. Best of luck.

13-May-18
Anyone need any help/intel on 23 or 26 let me know.

I just got back from a trip up there last week

Very Green and very Wet!! haha

#LovinLife

Robb

14-May-18
Nothing with 18 sheep points. 19 for next year.

14-May-18
I’ll have 19 next year too. I have one of the auction sheep tags this year and was a little concerned I may have two sheep tags in WY. Glad there may be another sheep hunt one day in my future if I live long enough.

14-May-18
Hope to see a hunt recap MQQSE! That’s awesome to pull an auction hunt and be that close for a second round! Good luck on both!

14-May-18
I sure would love to post a story on here Treeline. I plan on taking my sheep with a muzzleloader though. If I am fortunate enough to be successful I’ll post if there isn’t resistance to the use of a muzzy.

• Sitka Gear