eddie c 17-May-18
Swampbuck 17-May-18
Manager 17-May-18
BigStriper 18-May-18
ORARCHER 19-May-18
BigStriper 21-May-18
Kodiak 21-May-18
14-May-18
I am wondering what is the Minimum watt Generator you Guy's use to power an Air Conditioner on your Camper on your hunting trips. ( I have a Pop Up Camper ) and was wondering what size I would need to run the Air.What size do you use and what can you run at the same time?. Kurt

14-May-18
I have a Honda 2000 and it won't power the AC in my dad's camper, but when I couple it with my brother's Honda 2000, it'll run it. It can also run the microwave and the coffee maker and lights in the camper by itself.

14-May-18
Also keep in mind that you'll need to re-jet it for any altitude over 5k, and you'll still lose power. My re-jetted Honda 2000 produces around 1500 at 8500', barely enough for startup wattage for a camper microwave.

14-May-18
I have a honda 2000 and it starts my 7000 btu air conditioner but on 90 deg days it'll take a half dozen attempts. It also runs my counter top microwave fine (lights dim just a tad). I believe the microwave is 800 watts. The 7k air is a bit of an anomaly, the only one that small I've ever seen. It's on an 80's 10.5' Lance Squire.

14-May-18
I run my camp with a 2000 Honda and have used it to run a small window unit.But that is in Wisconsin.

14-May-18
You will need at least a 3000. I have a coleman 5500 that will run the a/c easily. A couple times I have run the tv and dvd with the a/c and it was struggling. I'm really eying the Honda e3000is but man that price tag is steep (2K). My buddy has a Yamaha 3000 that is really quiet and runs everything.

14-May-18
I have 2 Honda 1000's and don't have any problem when I tie them together. Easier to lift them separately.

14-May-18
IMO The two Honda 2000ei are the best to have... connected together will run the AC plus you can move them around easy or just use one of them if you don’t need the AC . I bought a pair in 2011 and they have been trouble free. I would buy them again .

14-May-18
What size air conditioner are you trying to run? All you have to do is figure out the watt usage of anything you are trying to run, and size the genset accordingly.

14-May-18
Backpack hunter, that's true but you also need to factor in power loss as you gain elevation. Honda has a handy graph and it was an eye-opener how much output wattage was lost going from home at 5K up to camp at 9K, even with altitude jets.

14-May-18
3500 watt generator is usually needed to run an AC unit in most trailers/campers. I run two Honda EU2000's together (4000) with their parallel system when I need an AC, as it's easier to maneuver two small units than one larger one. Everything else on board (including microwave) will run off of one 2000 watt.

15-May-18
Jaquomo, you are right. I was just trying to point out how the op can easily answer his own question. He knows what he is running or wants to run, just do the math from there.

15-May-18
The Honda 2000 has three different jets for different elevations. They're cheap and easy to change out.

15-May-18
Correct me if I read this wrong..... you have AC on a pop-up?

Isn't that kinda like having AC for a wall tent?

15-May-18
Tom, I spent a long weekend in my buddy's Lance camper last year on the beach in summer and the year before I rented a brand new pop up and took it to WY with the kids. Pop ups and truck campers aren't what they used to be. The new ones are pretty damn comfortable.

15-May-18
Td whats wrong with ac in a wall tent lol i run one in my june fishing camp in the wall teny it sure is nice lol

15-May-18
I have a built in Ornan/Oran 5k, I push a button inside and it runs great on everything.

I have a bud that has that Cabela's 4k with remote for under $500 and he loves it.

#LovinLife

Robb

15-May-18
I was discussing this same topic yesterday with the mechanic at work that also camps, doesn't hunt but camps. I was telling him I just parallel two 2000 watt genies to run the AC in my new hard side and gave it a test run in the back yard. the genies jumped like jumping beans when the compressor kicked in then settled down. he pointed out that the 2000s only put out 2000 watts at startup and settle in around 1600 watts once they get going. at best that would give me 3200 watts to run the camper with the AC running and that is a borderline wattage situation on the camper's built in power inverter. he stated his brother ran his camper on that setup in FL one summer and damaged the camper's inverter system while trying to run everything off of the 2 genies. the new inverter cost over $700. he recommended 5000 watt. he stated if I do run off the 2, run the refrigerator off the propane, use minimum lights, don't touch the microwave and make sure I have a good battery. weak battery puts a strain on the system.

15-May-18
Better be quiet, in more than one hunting trip my hunting partners and I were about ready to strangle the campground neighbors running the damn things night and day.

One even so bold enough to run a long cord away from their camper placing the unit next to everyone else, so they didn't have to listen to it.

Bring some batteries, charge up for the night then shut the damn thing off. You can even buy batteries for CPAPs now. A little respect goes a long way..

15-May-18
+1 Tonybear61 that’s why people should buy a Honda.....they run much more quiet than some of the monster genserators some people use. I took my kids to YS park once and ended up in a full campground next to a guy with a gen that roared like semi truck all day long.... PITA !!!

15-May-18
The propane powered built in models are probably most efficient and best.

My Truck generator actually runs my slide-in Truck camper better than the Honda 2000- of course I don't use the AC this way...

So I'm contemplating selling my Honda 2000

15-May-18
I have a honda 3000 it ran everything in my 5th, yamaha is good, probably ever better

15-May-18
I've got a Honda 2000 and it's very nice, but everything I've read says you should get at least the 3000. That or hook up two 2000s together.

15-May-18
No idea if they are decent but Harbor Freight has a knock off the quiet Honda generators for a lot less. I have had good luck with some stuff from there and had some other stuff that was pretty poor.

15-May-18
If it’s just me, my 2000 does great with lights, water pump, and microwave at 8500’. If it’s a family trip that I’ll be using the a/c, then I bring my bigger generator that’s 4000 running/6600 starting. As someone mentioned, there can be quite a difference between what’s sufficient to run an a/c, and what’s sufficient to start one

15-May-18
The Honda 3000 is a great gen but it is heavy to just pick up and take with you but great if you only want it to be bolted to your camper and don’t plan on using it any where else. The small Honda 2000’s are great for just picking one up and putting it in your pickup truck to use some where ....to run saws, drills or run some light some where there isn’t electric, like a barn, jump a car battery. My brother has a 3000 but if we need a gen for something quick we always end up taking one of the 2000’s.

15-May-18
tonybear has a point. some campgrounds I've checked into has a 'no generator after 10pm' rule. 'inverter' generators are quieter than regular generators, some generators' muffler is worn out, etc. the main reason I want to run the AC is my wife's comfort. she has had 2 heart attacks but still likes to go on my trips. heat bothers her as much as cold. last year I had a camper that had a wall unit and the 2000 the AC fine and she was complaining that another genie 100 yds away was louder than ours. lol

15-May-18
Glamping.

15-May-18
A bunch of folks in Somalia are discussing this same topic right now!

15-May-18
2 2000wt units is the way to go. I have Yamaha's. I got them over the Yamaha only because Cabelas sold Yamahas and I had a boatload of points to unload. The specs are near enough the same and I think the quality is comparable. 8 years and never a problem with either one.

15-May-18
After decades, Honda has discontinued the EU2000i and replaced it with a 2200 watt units. Same size, weight, but with 200 more watts and about 4 more amps. Two eu2200i's paralleled together will have 4400 watts and 36.7 amps. Two small 2200's are much easier to move around than one eu3000i. And have more watts & amps. Then it depends upon what size AC you need to run. Most are 13,500 btu's, some are 15,000 btu's. One 2200 watt genset won't run either AC unit alone. Just check what you need to use on a Honda compatibility chart.

15-May-18
I told my brother that I had heard that we would probably need close to a 3000 but he doesn't think we need that big. That is why I am asking for your opinions and what you have found out with your experiences useing yours.

Kurt

16-May-18
You’ll need close to or over 3000. Tying two 2000’s together is a great option and two of these units won’t cost anymore than one 3000. The only downside to this plan is the fuel tank on the 2000 don’t hold much gas. You can connect both to an auxiliary tank which saves that problem. I have a Honda 3000 but if I did it over I’d get two 2000s.

16-May-18
Take a look at the champion https://www.cabelas.com/product/CHAMPION-INVERTER-GENATORS/1748007.uts?slotId=6

It's on sale right now at Cabelas. Not as quite as the Honda, but it is significantly less. This will run your ac, but don't try and use the microwave at the same time.

16-May-18
Kurt, is this on your popup I saw a few weeks ago? I didn't pay attention to your AC but if it's a roof mount, I think you will need the 3000. I had a popup with the roof mount and a 2000 wouldn't run it. check around your area and see if someone has one you can borrow to test.

16-May-18
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CHAMPION-PATRIOT-GENERATOR/2503704.uts

I have this one with remote start. Works great! Just roll over in the sleeping bag and push the button. Lights all come on in the wall tent and the coffee is ready by the time you get your pants on! It will run your air conditioner and rolls around pretty easily. I got high elevation jets from Champion.

16-May-18
Has anybody used or heard of the ( Predator 3500 Inverter Generator) from Harbor Freight for $750, and how it was for noise compared to the Honda 3000 or other Brands of that size. I understand that if a Generator is to noisy with other people around you can't use them.

16-May-18
There are good reviews of the harbor freight unit and dB comparisons showing it is actually quieter then the Honda. I have a Firman 3200watt inverter generator and it works great but if I didn’t have it I would pick up the harbor freight unit.

16-May-18
it's almost as quiet as that Honda you were camped next to a couple of weeks ago. I was looking at that same one myself but the two 2000 setup is going to work better for me at the moment.

16-May-18
Buy what ever makes you happy......but you heard it here ......number 1 ,top of the food chain , tried n true with never a regret is by far Honda !!!

16-May-18
jdee I always thought the HONDA'S would be the quietest,but a buddy has a Honda 3000 and he made a remark that he thought the 3500 Predator was quieter or as quiet as his Honda 3000is.Kind of shocked me to hear that,but I know he has had his for 4 or 5 years so I figured he knew what he was talking about. That is why I am asking for opinions from you guys,just trying to get as much info as I can. Kurt

16-May-18
jdee is talking the truth right there !! You'll most likely wear out & go thru several throw away cheaper makes vs having just one dependable Honda generator….. which will last for decades of runtime.

16-May-18
Do not buy the champion, I made that mistake, harbor freight would be a mistake also. I Bought a Honda 3000 yes they are heavy but I put it on a pull cart. two Honda 2000 is a great combo, we all tried the cheaper generators and all have Hondas now.

16-May-18
Trying to get as much info as I can. I know the HONDA'S are more expensive,so that is why I am asking. I also know that a LOUD generator ain't worth having. I always thought the Honda's were the Best, kinda shocked me when I heard that he thought the Predator was as quiet as the Honda.Maybe not as good?

16-May-18
Honda is the "Gold Standard" for small engines. I own two inverters, two ATVs, and a mower now, have always owned Hondas, and they just run and run. If something goes haywire it isn't the engine.

16-May-18
what Jaq said. Honda is top notch. they will take some abuse but have to be maintained also. hard to beat. but it's what your wallet can stand. Honda dealers are like Yeti dealers, they wont come off their prices.

16-May-18
Jaquomo I have a 1997 Honda Fourtrax 2 wheel drive,bought it used in about 2000.My son cut one of the rear tires shortly after we bought it and I put 2 new ( Heavier ply )tires on the rear. I think I put 2 new batteries in it since I bought it and that is all, and it ALWAYS starts right up. Some times you don't have to choke it. Honda's are great, I can agree on that. Just trying to see if anybody had any luck with anything else before I spend the cash. Thanks for your advice.

Kurt

16-May-18
I have a generac guardian series 3250 running watts. Use it at camp. Runs the a/c fine, also powers up the well and hot water heater. It has over a thousand hours on it and still running strong. All I’ve done is change oil, plug and air filter. It burns about 4 gals running the a/c for 8-10hrs, depending on how cold I run the air.I used to have my Honda 6500 liquid cooled gen there but it was to heavy for my dad to roll around camp. I preferred the Honda, much quieter and burned a little less fuel

16-May-18
the harbor freight stuff is basically junk....

16-May-18
I hear ya BigStriper... when I bought my Honda’s I looked around because of their price but I’m really glad I spent the extra money because these two little 2000’s have been bullet prof since 2011. Just today I ran them both from 9am until 4 pm cutting and putting up rough cut lumber in a cabin . They ran a compound miter saw, air compressor for a nail gun and a Milwaukee battery charger. Check out .....wisesales.com..... that’s where I found the best price even with shipping. Good luck with what ever you end up with.

16-May-18
I got my first FourTrax in 91, used off a ranch. I used it for hunting and cowboying, which was dirty and rough and hard on machines. Finally lost the tranny in 2009. Engine was still running strong and it always started. My newer one is just as good.

16-May-18
Honda 3000 runs everything I need in my camper.

17-May-18
Ok it sounds like the Honda is the way to go,if I can get by with the Honda 3000,what would be the difference in noise and fuel between the 3000 and 2 Honda 2000's.

Kurt

17-May-18
my opinion, the noise will be less with one muffler. probably lower fuel usage too, only running one motor.

17-May-18
Looking on the Honda spec sheets. Noise level is about the same, better running time on the 3000. Price is the same +/- $100. Weight is another thing, 3000 is 130+ dry.

17-May-18
We have three-EU2000i; two of the new EU2200i; one 3000is, and they get about the same run time per gallon. "About" 10 hrs per gallon at idle. "About" 6 hrs under constant load. As mentioned; the 3000 weighs 130 lbs dry, plus add weight of about 3 gallons of fuel. The small gensets weigh about 48 lbs and hold One gallon of fuel. Much easier to throw them small units in to the back of a pickup. The decibel level on the 3000 is slightly less then the small units. The 3000 will not run a 15,000 btu air conditioner.

18-May-18
I know that the 3000 will be heavier but I thought it would be the way to go if it is enough to run the Air conditioner.I'll have to check to see exactly what size it is.

Kurt

19-May-18
I run (2) of the Yamaha 2000's on a parallel cord and they run my A/C, TV and microwave no problem and they are very quite

21-May-18
Thanks to all who voiced their opinions,it looks like I will have to find a good deal on a 3000 - 4000 quiet generator.

Kurt

21-May-18

Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Kodiak  's embedded Photo
Here's one you might want to check out, $1699 at Home Depot. 4200 watts with a Honda engine.

• Sitka Gear