Awesome

26-Dec-14
Sounds like great fun to me!

26-Dec-14
Nice start, don't stop.

26-Dec-14
1 down 100 to go!

26-Dec-14
'Sposed to shoot 'em on the run when they bust Pat. Or in their general directio ! :)

27-Dec-14
Shot them all!

27-Dec-14
Cool!

27-Dec-14

27-Dec-14
Way to go Matt!

27-Dec-14
Geez Pat, you should know by now, take the 1st good shot you have! Good luck and shoot straight! Kevin

27-Dec-14
Pat what is in that last pic that shadow looks strange :>

27-Dec-14
Looks like a rocket ship to me city.. Lol

27-Dec-14
That would be a man, Pat, with his arms up to his eyes to take the picture.

27-Dec-14
Western Kansas Pat? Looks like good yote country!

27-Dec-14
Matt: Shoot em up!

27-Dec-14
Never hunted yotes much but we have enough here. Got my one and only 2 seasons ago with a bow when it happened by my stick blind after a rabbit. He had the misfortune of stopping 20 yards in front of me.. We have more Yotes than we 1st thought but the lil buggers are very rarely seen. When it snows the fields are littered with tracks so I suspect we have way more than we thought.

Perhaps a PAT kill tip thread on how to yote killing would be good. Who knows though because I may be the only guy who doesn't know the ins and outs of hunting them. I could probably trap some of them but that's not much fun.

Hope you have fun blasting away. I know I would

27-Dec-14
Hey! That gun's not black!

27-Dec-14
You should come up and try some spots I got! Lots of dogs.

28-Dec-14
Pat,

For the most part, are you hunting to the south of Protection?

28-Dec-14
Awesome country to be coyote calling in... I've shed hunted a bunch not far from Protection, cool area. Best of luck.

How many more days?

28-Dec-14
Huntin south of protection. Sounds like he's after some beaver! :0)

28-Dec-14
Plenty of time then!

How long are you spending on each set and what are you doing with the pelts? Someone selling them?

28-Dec-14
You are right Forest. There are tons of coyotes in our area. But when you shoot one, you probably won't get another to come to the call the rest of the season if you are hunting the thick woodlots. That's the way it is at my place.

28-Dec-14
It's the moon faze...moon fazes the dogs too.

28-Dec-14
I'm in elk,greenwood county. I have a bunch (several thousand) to coyote hunt.

28-Dec-14
I'm going out with a buddy tomorrow. He called one in today. I'll let you know how it turns out.

29-Dec-14
Pat, how do you like that R15?

29-Dec-14
the massacre is not materializing as imagined...........yet

29-Dec-14
Pat, we here in NYS have had to install the Thordsen Customs stock and can't have magazines over 10 rounds. My R-15 is now a hybrid in color!

>>>>-------->

29-Dec-14

Eddie Bauer's embedded Photo
Eddie Bauer's embedded Photo
We called most of the day on Saturday, very slow. No dogs one cat.

29-Dec-14
For anyone handloading an AR coyote rifle in .223, the 73gr Berger has made a great coyote round for our group.

29-Dec-14
Called from 9-12 no dogs. Saw lots of tracks/sign lots!!!

29-Dec-14
Dogs are all probably living large and full on all the gut piles and wounded deer from the recent season!

29-Dec-14
Sounds about right Forest. My farm is only about 6 miles from Elk County. Also I have hunted northern Elk County for the last 17 years. Every evening at my place, I hear about 6-8 howlers but can rarely get them to come in to a call. I got only this one last year.

29-Dec-14
KSFlatlamder nailed it. I have never had much success after deer season. They have a stockpile of bones and meat buried all over that last for months. I do better before season at the first cold front.

29-Dec-14
KSFlatlamder nailed it. I have never had much success after deer season. They have a stockpile of bones and meat buried all over that last for months. I do better before season at the first cold front.

29-Dec-14
Geez....this is supposed to be a coyote massacre, but is turning into something like Alice's Restaurant Massacree!!!!!

29-Dec-14

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo

29-Dec-14
The best calling I have had is in December right after a storm and cold temps setting in. I try to get them before the pressure from calling ramps up. We called in 10 in 2 days of calling. It seems lately I am down to 1 in 2 days of calling.

My trip to NW Nebraska was cut short due to hitting a cow in the middle of the highway last Friday.

29-Dec-14
"My trip to NW Nebraska was cut short due to hitting a cow in the middle of the highway last Friday."

If you are hunting coyotes, it sounds like you have the bait all set to go....(hope no one was hurt).

29-Dec-14
To be honest I don't know what happened to the cow. It was in the middle of SD in the middle of the night. I came over a hill and there were black cattle everywhere. I ended up driving 20 miles to the close town and thankfully they had a hotel. Yep no one was hurt. My daughter woke up and said what happened. Lol Someone has bait though. Lol

29-Dec-14
I highly anticipated this coyote massacre Pat, wish you could do something to change your luck. Boot shot maybe ?

29-Dec-14
Going out in the cold tomorrow?

29-Dec-14
Bbbrrrrrrrrrr ! Luck Pat, burn 'em !

29-Dec-14

Forest bows's MOBILE embedded Photo

This is were I'm going to start calling real soft from

29-Dec-14
Go getem pat....I love smackin Yotes! I call & bait them here In mass and like others have mentioned best luck is one dark- to no moon nights and when we have some deep snow when food sources dry up. Some years I find it tough when there's no snow=easier for them to mouse

30-Dec-14
Hi Thornton whats on the end of your barrel in that pic. Flash surpressor or some sort of noise reducer?

30-Dec-14
Yankee Hill Machinery .30 cal Phantom silencer. On that particular gun, it makes it sound like a .22. On my .300 blackout, it makes it sound like a pellet gun.

30-Dec-14
Atta boy!!

How many sets are you guys getting per outing?

30-Dec-14
long ways to go for yotes! If u are going to PY this april Az has some excellent yote hunting WE bow killed two last jan with the foxpro with only a few sets .

30-Dec-14
Nice!

30-Dec-14
COLD works on ALL critters! NIce!

Mark

30-Dec-14
Good for you Lewis

30-Dec-14
I know you said jack rabbit frenzy but didn't see that in my fire storm, what other calls are your go to? Had luck last weekend with bay bee cottontail.

30-Dec-14
Nice dog

31-Dec-14
Looking like fun!

31-Dec-14

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
Good job. Looks like things are picking up!

It always seems to be feast or famine for us. Headed to Okla. in a few weeks for yotes & cats.

This is "feast mode"

31-Dec-14
Still teasing us with that new Sitka Pattern....

31-Dec-14
I like how Matt thinks (and shoots)....

Mark

31-Dec-14
Looks pretty painless to me !

31-Dec-14
Heck of a shot !!!!

31-Dec-14
No Pat you did a fine job with him, one shot one kill ,

31-Dec-14
Keep a shooting boys! How close are they coming in for the shot? You think it was the cold that has helped?

Mark

31-Dec-14
That boy needs to be taught a lesson, leave him home next time and take me...that will teach him..lol

Id rather see head shots than the people on here that condone gut shots on coyotes.

Congrats to you both. Sounds like a great trip.

31-Dec-14
Pat, After readingthe thread about eating coyotes are you taking a couple western dogs home to try?

31-Dec-14
Congrats Pat and Matt. The furs sure do look good. Got to love when a cold front comes in. They get hungry then.

31-Dec-14
He's got that rifle dialed in !!

31-Dec-14
Nice shot. How far did it run after. LOL

31-Dec-14
I can see by the look on his face he feels bad about it.

31-Dec-14
Nice! Shoot'em in the FACE!!!

31-Dec-14
...and I'm guessing he's shooting them out from under you with a rifle YOU bought!

Great day., a lot of critters were moving.

31-Dec-14
I'm so offended. I'm going to pinch out a tear like Bill Clinton now.

01-Jan-15
He obviously gets his looks from his mother.....

01-Jan-15
....probably his shooting ability too.....

01-Jan-15
Still no bowkill....I feel the love pouring out over me!

01-Jan-15
You do realize.... that was a frontal head shot.....

01-Jan-15
Nothing about dead yotes offends me bro...keep it up!!! When you're cleaned out there come to Wisconsin and keep it going.

My last gun deer season a few years back was my most "successful".....never saw a deer...killed 4 yotes. Stick just to bowhunting now.

01-Jan-15
Yeah, I got a friend like that too. He never brings his gun & talks all kinds of trash when we miss!

I think the rat theory has some merit. I think there are more mice/voles this year than i have ever seen before. Could even see evidence of it in my soybean plots this year.

01-Jan-15
Your right on the Pac rats. I was deer hunting in Nov. about 60 miles from Protection and every morning and evening coming back in I would see a lot of them little critters running across the trail, bunch of Jack rabbits too.

01-Jan-15
Look like a great father/son adventure. Congrats on some good dogs and great shooting skills.

01-Jan-15
Thanks for bringing your son out and showing him what the real America looks and feels like.

Looks like he's mastered the Kansas version of gun control - hit what you're aiming at!

(What a change that must be, coming to Kansas from Commiennecticut. )

02-Jan-15
Good boy.

03-Jan-15
Smart boy. A good shot too. You just need to teach him the fun in calling them in close. You may get more shots that way!

03-Jan-15
That coyote has blew eyes. One blew east and one blue west. Congrats!

Pat, you are holding back on your view of politics. How do you really feel?

03-Jan-15
Pat you need bring that young man for a visit in Tn Lewis

03-Jan-15
LOL @ INbowdude

04-Jan-15
Pat, I'm not sure of his interests for careers, but Kansas has several exceptional universities. Seriously.

He could come out here, at non-resident rates, for about what you'll pay for him at a good school back east. No doubt he's a sharp kid so I'm sure scholarships would be available.

Going to school out here, at some place like K-State or Fort Hays state, would have him SURROUNDED by kids who love the outdoors, and see things as clearly, as your son. And they are GREAT schools. A lot of kids who go to Kansas universities eventually do grad work at Ivy League or similar schools.

He could head home on weekends with kids who've been raised on a 20,000 acre ranch. The schools have fishing and shooting teams that compete on a national level and very active wildlife clubs.

Shoot, even at KU, our liberal school, he'd find a lot more kids who hunted than back east, I'm sure.

Yes, I know dad would have to stop in and see him frequently while traveling about on business.

Who knows, he might even might meet some sweetie from a family that owns 22,000 acres not far from Protection, or in the big mule deer country of northwest Kansas, or amid the Flint HIlls, or southwest Kansas with a ton of those oil and gas thingies on them.

(Our son dated a couple of such young women, and broke up with both of them?) It took a while, but I eventually forgave him for putting his happiness in front of mine when it comes to relationships.

04-Jan-15
I really thought you guys were going to see a ton of coyotes this year. Fur prices are generally very low this year, although coyote prices are stable. The coyotes around that area are a good coyote, but the real coyote numbers trappers aren't out this year. I know of 2 guys who trapped that area last year that didn't this year, and together they accounted for about 700 dead coyotes last year.

glad you had a blast and even happier for the way Matt is turning out. its been fun watching him grow up on this site. That sounds weird I guess but you know what I mean. I cant wait till Charlie gets a little older so we can enjoy the same experiences you two are.

However, for the love of all things sacred, do not let that poor kid become a Jayhawk!

congratulations on another great trip with your son!

michael

04-Jan-15
Looks like you had a blast.

How many yotes does it take to completely consume every ounce of meat on a deer in 1 night? I'm talking picking it clean?

04-Jan-15
I've known 3 to do that. Had it happen to one of my bucks once.

04-Jan-15
I don't know Hammer but I've had it happen! In fact the only things left were the ribcage and one front leg!

04-Jan-15

Hammer's embedded Photo
Hammer's embedded Photo
Here's what's left after 1 day.

05-Jan-15
I should have taken a pic of the carcass too. I was amazed they could consume it that fast to where there was barley enough for the bugs.

07-Jan-15
Not into the head shot photos. Good fuel for anti hunters and shows lack of respect to the animal.

07-Jan-15
Predator...head shot...lack of respect for the animal??

Where would you suggest aiming?

07-Jan-15
lack of respect? instaneous death is not respecting them?

michael

07-Jan-15
Head shots do not sestroy pelts. This thread is great. There is nothing more exciting and fun than calling coyotes. I did this with my son for many years and it was some of the best times in my life. This experience and bowhunting will bond you like nothing else and if you are calling the coyotes yourself I can tell you that you can apply what you are learning to all calling and especially elk that are hard hunted. Average call on a coyote calculated from records I kept over ten years is seven minutes per coyote called. Longest about 30 min which is longest stand I take. Probably a yote that came into sound range after I started calling. Looks like you are having way too much fun. Thanks for sharing it and God bless, Steve

07-Jan-15
Wow, the last thing going through that coyote's thoughts must have been a really fast bullet.

So many worse ways to go.

(Great shot, obviously.)

07-Jan-15
Looks like a rage

07-Jan-15
Nice shooting, nothing easy about a long distance head shot thats for sure.

07-Jan-15
Pat what load are you all using I'm toying between 223 and 5.65 Lewis shooting 1 in 7 barrel

08-Jan-15

Stinkbait1's embedded Photo
Stinkbait1's embedded Photo
Well done Pat. Looks like lots of fun. Don't listen to the "no respect" comments. JEEZE! Here's my "no respect for the animal" shot. It was a running shot at 20 yards with a recurve. Sorry, if I wasn't able to hit him in the head and drop him instantly and that the 40 yard recovery wasn't quick enough for some people.

08-Jan-15
dead is dead......ANTIS dont care ....they are agaisnt any killing period.....

not sure how people dont get that

08-Jan-15

I have no respect for coyote or wolves and neither should you!

08-Jan-15

08-Jan-15

08-Jan-15
I camped/hunted for two weeks in Kingman county Kansas. I was surrounded by several packs of yotes every night. I keep thinking of heading back to thin the herd a little bit.

Good job Pat

• Sitka Gear