greg simon 17-Nov-15
Ermine 17-Nov-15
Ermine 17-Nov-15
Thornton 17-Nov-15
Sixby 17-Nov-15
Scotlandbuck1 18-Nov-15
sir misalots 18-Nov-15
16-Nov-15
Just acquired a 17HMR and thinking of taking it out for coyotes. Anybody bust yotes with this caliber?

James

16-Nov-15
I've shot a bunch with it. Its NOT a yote gun, you have to be picky on shots and keep inside 100.

16-Nov-15
Horrible idea to hunt with that caliber.

Trust me.

16-Nov-15
17 HMR smaller than a .22. Not a yote gun. Squirrels, coons etc...sure.

16-Nov-15
More of a close range caliber. Personally I would take something a little larger but I do not know your set up.

16-Nov-15
Great gun for groundhogs and under. I have killed a couple yotes with them but I also wouldn't recommend it.

16-Nov-15
I've shot a few coyotes with mine, but it's a marginal caliber for coyotes. I've shot over 300 beavers with mine and still one of the most accurate rifles I own. Stick to the 20 grain and you'll have fun with it. 3 years up at bear camp before ice out, I saw a beaver walking towards my place to chew some of the trees down that he didn't chew in the fall. It was just a brown dot out there on the ice. Figuring it was 325 yards out, I thought I'd give it a try. I sat down with a box of bullets and started to lob the lead out there with a friend with binoculars calling my shots. Heck, I hit it on my 6th shot! Then hit it 2 more out of 5 I believe it was, and that's where it stayed. A couple of my hunters saw a wolf carrying it away a couple days later.

16-Nov-15

16-Nov-15
I shot a fox with one at about 15 yards square in the chest and it still took several shots to finish the job. Stick with .223+ IMO.

16-Nov-15
Your tried and true coyote calibers: .223, 22-.250 and .204 Ruger.

16-Nov-15
Don't forget 243. I know a guy that is deadly on coyotes with his 17 Remington but he shoots under 300 yards and very little for wind. I think a 204 falls in with a 17 Remington as far as conditions.

17 hmr is Not a coyote round. You will do more harm then good with it if you ask me.

16-Nov-15
I would agree with the to light. Coyotes are tough and carry as much lead as just about anything pound for pound.

16-Nov-15
I am hearing great things about the .17 WSM for coyote size game... Blows up the inside, no pelt damage...

That seems to be a hotter round than the .17 HMR

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/126-long-rifles-muzzleloaders/158610-17-wsm-getting-job-done.html

16-Nov-15
I wouldn't buy one for yotes but I dropped one in its tracks at 200yds-- the 17 WSM I was told that the rifle manufacture for this cal. has problems with accuracy -- just what I heard--

16-Nov-15
About 5/6 years I shot a yote at just about 100 yds with my 17 hmr with the 20 gr bullet why fall turkey hunting.. Hit him right behind the shoulder. HE was down in 3 seconds.. The 20 gr are a much better penetraers then the 17gr'er... Hitting it right behind the shoulder broadside as I did is about the only place I think a 17 hmr with 20 gr bullet will put a yote down. Also no more than 100yds out.

I say a 40 gr bullet going 3200 fps is min for all around yotes hunting.. 55 gr at or above 3400 is great yote hunter. Ed

16-Nov-15
22 mags work great for 100 and under. .17 just do not have the knock down.

God bless, Steve

16-Nov-15
It's a toss up really on 17hmr vs 22wmr. Keep in mind it's not always about the hole size as usually with rifles you are depending on the shock from the bullet expansion/impact rather than the wound itself. 17hmr creates a lot of shock just with its velocity and rapid expansion. Having said that, as others have stated its marginal at best. I wouldn't even consider a 17wsm for dogs either. Sure it's a hot rodded 17hmr but that's all it is. A 17/20 gr bullet can still only create so much damage. And like any cartridges fate it's all in the marketing and at this stage in the game it's way to soon to tell if the 17wsm will be out in a few years just like some other recent cartridges like the wssm family for example. If you want cheap, inherently accurate and and easy on barrels cartridge go for 223 or if you want a hot rod go 204 or 22-250. That is if you want to stay with the mainstream calibers for ammo availability. If you don't well then we could talk all day!!

16-Nov-15
A yote will carry some lead as stated above. Minimum for shooting yotes in my mind is a 5.56/223 or 22-250. For better wind management, it is hard to beat the ole 243 for those longer shots. I've seen them run off shot with a 270 loaded with a deer bullet. Some run 100 yards and, others hit poorly were never found. My personal favorite is a souped up, tight shooting turkey gun. In these parts with close shots 45-50 yards and less, it MOWS the down. God Bless

16-Nov-15
I've got a 17 WSM with the heavy barrel. Accuracy out to 200 yards is not a problem.

17-Nov-15
I sure wish I could post pictures on here, I have a great meme or whatever they call them!

17-Nov-15
yes. works great. don't always recover them though

17-Nov-15
So on state-owned land where I hunt, and outside of deer season, using ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges are prohibited. It is legal to use .17 caliber rimfire firearms. Shotgun is allowed but we are limited to shot size no larger or heavier than #2 shot on state-owned lands.

I want to hunt and take coyotes on the state land that I hunt but with these restrictions the state doesn't make it easy. So given these choices, which one would you use(.22LR, .17 or Shotgun with #2 shot).

17-Nov-15
I've shot them with a 22 mag, it worked out fine, I am sure the hmr is up to the task, but would take only broadside shots.

17-Nov-15
.17HMR, .17WSM and .22WMR are all excellent calibers. I have taken many coyotes with the hmr, and you just have to be conscious of shot placement.

I have used them to kill hogs, coons and rabbits. My largest hog to date was killed with a .22WMR. 400lb at 40yds. It is all about shot placement.

I killed a 200lb boar this past summer with a .17hmr at 60yds. Those rounds are like hypodermic needles. The one shot I fired punched right through his rib and exploded in his lungs.

I wouldn't hesitate to take any of the aforementioned rifles on a pig hunt. It is all about shot placement.

17-Nov-15
Hope I am NOT "hijacking" after all the previous answers. I use a .223 for Prairie dogs and love it, however, I was thinking of a 17 for prairie digs under 100 yards??? Comments. Thanks

17-Nov-15
The hummer is a blast on Sage rockets! Wind is a big problem with it and it really sharpens your rifle work. On calm days the 17 is up for shots well over 100yards on them little buggers. I have turrets on my one 17 and its about the best long range training gun there is.

On the states that need the 17 hmr and 22 mag outside of deer season, its a horse a piece. I'm a 17 nut so im bias. If thats what I had here, I'd take the 17 just because I'm comfortable with it. Nock on wood I haven't lost a yote with the 17, but I don't shoot at them like I would with my main calling rifle either.

17-Nov-15
I'm happy with the 17HMR on prairie dogs. It's quiet enough that on a windy Wyoming day, the dogs don't hear it, and so, you can get more than one shot at a dog. On one day, it took me 5 shots to get the wind right on a measured 275 yds, but that dog had a bad day.

Doesn't give the spectacular hits, but it is fun, and accurate. I think it's light for coyotes except for head shots, based upon what I saw with the prairie dogs. Never seen a coyote when I had that rifle.

Have fun.

17-Nov-15
The .17 HMR is a good prairie dog cartridge out to 175 yards and anchors them well. Beyond that it is weak unless shot placement is great........in the boiler room or central nervous system just like big game. It is one of my favorite rounds for varmints up thru PD size. For coyotes I would recommend a larger cartridge. I like the .204 and .223 on up to your big game rifles.

17-Nov-15

greg simon's embedded Photo
greg simon's embedded Photo
270 worked fine on this one yesterday!

17-Nov-15
17 Remington would be better. The HMR isn't for coyotes

17-Nov-15
17 Remington would be better. The HMR isn't for coyotes

17-Nov-15
DO NOT USE VMAX BULLETS! You will lose some dogs because the penetration is only about an inch. Use the lead core bullets and keep your shots under 200 yards.

17-Nov-15
Where limited to a .22 rimfire and under I would be using my .22 mag. I have 2 .17 hmrs and a .22 mag and a .22.250 the 22/250 is the real varmiter for coyoting and is even a great deer and lope cartridge. But in the limitations you posed of .22 rimfire Definitely the .22 mag.

God bless, Steve

18-Nov-15

Scotlandbuck1's embedded Photo
Scotlandbuck1's embedded Photo
I agree with THORNTON 100%. DO NOT USE VMAX BULLETS!!!! no penetration. use CCI game point ammo. they have a red picture of a coyote on the box. this coyote was shoot at 40 yards by my son and it rolled him off the log you see in the picture. It never moved.

18-Nov-15
22 mag with a heavy bullet better option imo

Or go with the 17 winchester magnum

• Sitka Gear