brianhood 15-Mar-17
Altizer 15-Mar-17
CurveBow 16-Mar-17
21-Oct-16

Babine Guide's embedded Photo
Shawn with a wolf he shot while on a goat hunt this fall
Shawn with a wolf he shot while on a goat hunt this fall
It's not to long now before we start our wolf hunts again. We have seen lots of lynx so far this fall and have seen quite a bit of wolves too. We have one client who's not going to make it on his trip this winter so we now have an opening Jan. 12-17 if anyone is interested.

21-Oct-16
Look forward to this thread every year. So glad you are continuing to share with us!

21-Oct-16
Favorite thread of the year.....Every year!!!!

22-Oct-16
Is that extra large for a wolf? that critter is huge!

Looks like the kind of wolf they mistakenly transplanted to the Yellowstone basin in a mistaken attempt to replace the smaller grey wolf that had been eliminated 40 years previous.

22-Oct-16
Always a great thread. Looking forward to it!

23-Oct-16
Always a classic

23-Oct-16
Cool

23-Oct-16
Re Yellowstone, some reports are the transplants actually killed the remaining grey wolves which were still in the park. Is a big park to canvass. The people pushing reintroduction did not want to be slowed by an inconvenient truth of they were about to kill off the native wolves.

24-Oct-16
Look forward to this thread every year!

Good luck, Robb

08-Nov-16

wolverine pole
wolverine pole
During this moose hunt we have started getting a few sets ready for when we start trapping in December. Here is a wolverine pole that Jack built the other day.

08-Nov-16

we went out one evening and got a beaver and otter with one of the moose hunters

11-Dec-16

wolves from today
wolves from today
The first client arrives on Tuesday. We have a couple baits for wolves out and at least half the trapline is set. I have one more wolf station to set out in the morning and a couple lynx sets, then we'll set the rest out while the client is here. Today I brought more bait to one of the spots that we'll hunt during this first hunt. When I got there I seen 14 wolves on it. It was hard to not start flinging lead but hopefully they'll be back in a couple days. There seems to be a normal amount of wolves around, a bunch of lynx and a few wolverines. There is only about 6 inches of snow so we won't be using a snowmobile till probably after the New Year. I'm not sure how the lack of snow is going to effect the trapping yet.

11-Dec-16

11-Dec-16
So the wolverine pole set, nobody mentioned the marten conibear box in the background...

11-Dec-16
An incredible annual classic thread!!! Here we go!!!!

Thanks BAbine!!!

Mark

11-Dec-16
Been waiting on this.

11-Dec-16
I've GOT to do this trip some time.

12-Dec-16
At the risk of hijacking an incredible annual thread that I enjoy each year I thought I'd add my .02 to the " Larger Canadian wolves introduced to Yellowstone" comment mentioned earlier. I'm sure Jack can correct me if I'm wrong but my guess is that beautiful mature wolf is right in the 110-120lb range. Even large Canadian wolves top out at @ 130lbs. The wolves that Jack and Lloyd are trapping look to be exactly the same size as the wolves that have been naturally migrating down into NW Montana from British Columbia all along and were never extirpated in this area. Which happen to be the same size as the "native" grey wolves that always inhabited the western Rockies. Females run 75-90lbs. Males run 90-120 with the occasional exception.

The "non-native introduced Canadian wolf" propaganda fits well into the template of people who hate wolves and don't like the politics of how they were forced onto us, but it isn't factual and does nothing to further our ability to ensure state managed hunting of wolves.

Back to the original topic... Good luck guys! I hope you catch a bunch this year!

12-Dec-16
Lloyd, That's a crazy picture...14 'wolves!! Good luck and thanks for taking us along!

Mark

14-Dec-16

First morning Howard shot a coyote before we even let to check the trapline. We`re probably going to spend the night out at one of the cabins tonight unless we get a couple wolves in the snares before we get there.

14-Dec-16
That looks like so much fun! It's definitely on my bucket list!

15-Dec-16

double header at this pen.
double header at this pen.
We got part way through the line and got 3 lynx and another coyote. We decided to come back to the lodge and get some skinning done instead of staying at the cabin.

15-Dec-16

15-Dec-16

15-Dec-16

15-Dec-16
Pretty good day I would say!

Good luck, Robb

15-Dec-16
Lloyd and the client are spending the night at an outpost camp while I am here at the lodge skinning lynx and trying to get over a bad cold. But while skinning I looked out the shop window and saw 3 wolves and 2 of them stayed for 3 hours under 200 yards.

16-Dec-16
"Stayed for 3 hours under 200 yards"

SHOOT MAN SHOOT!

16-Dec-16
My guess is the full moon makes it easy to see!!!

Good luck with your year of hunting and trapping wolves.

18-Dec-16

Goat Guide's embedded Photo
The wolves were hanging out in the daylight close to the lodge which is not normal and they even stayed all night until about 9am the next morning. I figured they would come back for the client to get a shot. After Lloyd got back from the outpost camp they did see some wolves but non came in close enough for a shot. They did get a fox, coyote and this lynx. The picture does not show it well but this one is HUGE.

18-Dec-16

The guys got back in time to try and get an evening hunt in at the lodge but the wolves did not show. Then at 3am I could see them on the bait and it was a long 5 hr wait until legal shooting hours when client made 2 great shots on 2 wolves. This one was a pretty female that will be lifesized.

18-Dec-16

18-Dec-16

After he shot the wolves in the morning we had a great day checking traps, we caught a weasel, marten, a large fox and a large lynx.

18-Dec-16

18-Dec-16

18-Dec-16
My dream trip!!

18-Dec-16

Today we spent some time picking up bait and checked a few traps. We have been pulling all our lynx sets because we have already caught 6 and still we caught 1 more today. The highlight of the day was this wolf, a mature male with prime dark fur. The client is tagged out on wolves but I am feeling pretty good about snaring more with the activity we have been seeing. Jack

19-Dec-16

Here's a couple more pictures from earlier this week. Today we are going to check a wolf station and pull a couple leg holds that we have for wolves. We also have a couple more lynx set to pull.

19-Dec-16

a coyote that was hanging out in front of the cabin one morning when we were waiting for wolves. We did see a wolf that morning but it was out of Howards range.
a coyote that was hanging out in front of the cabin one morning when we were waiting for wolves. We did see a wolf that morning but it was out of Howards range.

19-Dec-16
Looks like a good time is being had by all Lewis

20-Dec-16

We got a couple more coyotes in the wolf snares yesterday. There seems to be lots of coyotes this year.

20-Dec-16
Lloyd and Jack, congrats on a great run!!!

You've got Howard spoiled for sure!!!

Mark

22-Dec-16
Always enjoy this thread. Keep 'em coming.

22-Dec-16
Awesome start to the season!

27-Dec-16

Jen and I spent Boxing Day night out at one of the cabins. We rebaited the wolf station and checked 2 wolf station along the way. We got 2 wolves and 2 coyotes in them today. Here's a nice black wolf, the other wolf was a grey.

29-Dec-16
Awesome thread! Sometimes I wish I was born rich instead of good-looking, I'd come up there and hang out for a month strait! Running traps and whacking wolves, what could be better?!?!?!

29-Dec-16

Here's a couple wolves from today, that makes 4 after Christmas already.

29-Dec-16
Lots of great animals so far! You said something about pulling your lynx sets cause you already had 6. Do you have a quota on them?

31-Dec-16

We don't have a quota on lynx but we don't want to catch too many in one trip. We want to try make sure that the next trip is just as successful as the one before. That being said we don't pull the wolf snares though. I wish I had a client with me today. We got 7 wolves in one of the snare stations today.

31-Dec-16
That's incredible 7 in one set how large a pack you estimate was on the bait? Any pics of the skinning process I'd be interested to see how you skin the lynx and wolves for full mounts. Happy and safe new year to all!!

31-Dec-16
That hunt/trapline was a blast. Thanks guys.

31-Dec-16
wow 7 wolves!!!!!! Are you seeing any positive effects on your game herds?

31-Dec-16
You guys are a wolf killing machine!!! Cograts.

31-Dec-16
I bet you dont see a dent in the wolf numbers or there effect on big game! Taking out a good number usually breaks up the packs into smaller numbered packs and stimulates those smaller packs to reproduce thus keeping the numbers up. I wager to guess there are not many others who are aggressively trying to eliminate wolfs in your area. If there are then the numbers could be impacted long term.

02-Jan-17

Here's a couple wolves from today.
Here's a couple wolves from today.
We do see positive results in the moose numbers with the wolf trapping but it is something that we have to do every year. We are starting to get more people on the out skirts of where we're trapping starting to trap wolves too. (especially the farmers) Most of them are only getting 3-6 wolves but there is starting to be more of them doing it. It all makes a difference.

02-Jan-17

a marten from a couple days ago
a marten from a couple days ago
The next client isn't able to make his trip so we won't put any new sets this week but we will keep the wolf snares going.

02-Jan-17
Did Bart's kids run those wolves down and catch them? Lots of energy in that pic!

03-Jan-17

Today we didn't check any traps. I went out with Bart and a couple guys and we went looking for a cougar. We didn't have any luck finding any cougar tracks but we did get this big Tom Lynx. I did pick up a road kill moose and deer today off the highway for the wolf baits. A pretty good day. Cory, Bart is slowing down, but his kids are making up for it.

04-Jan-17
Just curious - how do you pick up a moose road kill? Please tell me you have a winch!

04-Jan-17
We do have a winch in the back of the truck to load up moose, sure does make it easier.

04-Jan-17
Sage...You should see these guys handle a moose! They are PROFESSIONALS...

05-Jan-17

Next year we're going to start offering 6 day lynx hunts with the hounds starting Nov. 16th. During this trip we will be able to also do a little bit of trapping. Just no snares for wolves (there is still a chance that there might be the odd bear around.

05-Jan-17
Jack and Lloyd...The first thing I'm doing once I get done chasing all of the NA critters is booking a trap line trip. I'm thinking winter of '19...

06-Jan-17

This afternoon I went out and re-baited a couple wolf station and make sure they're ready for the next group that arrives. We got this one in a snare today. Tomorrow I'm going to start getting some lynx set out again and set a new wolf station out.

07-Jan-17

Today we got the new wolf station out. I didn't hang very many snares though, about 20. I think it's going to get a few critters this year. We rebaited one of the sets by one of the cabins and fixed the snares that were there. I got a nice black wolf in that station today. We got about 20 inches of snow last night and I had to chain up just to leave the lodge. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get another new wolf Station out juice up another.

07-Jan-17

08-Jan-17
You guys have this down to a science.....I think maybe you've done this in the past, but maybe when you get a chance to do a "Wolf Snaring 101" would be awesome!!!

Congrats again on a banner year!

Mark

09-Jan-17
Hi Pat, twice we got 8 in 1 station but it's been a couple years since we had a big number at once. This year I think we'll have a few checks with multiple wolves. We are starting to trap different areas that we haven't trapped for a while and the pack sizes are bigger.

14-Jan-17
We had a pretty good start to Alans trip. In the first 2 days we got 3 wolves, 3 marten, a lynx and a wolverine. We'll post a few pictures later when we get a chance. Alan said he now has more then he thought we'd get but would really like a beaver, so we're going to spend a couple days trying to get a beaver or two. Maybe an otter too.

14-Jan-17
Awesome thread as usual. Wolverine would be high on my list for several reasons (see poster handle).

What do those sets look like and are they specifically set for wolverine?

14-Jan-17

14-Jan-17

14-Jan-17

We do have specific sets for wolverine, this one was caught in a snare with a stinger spring that was set with about a 9 or 10 inch loop. We also us 280 or 330 conibear for wolverines

14-Jan-17

marten trap under a bridge
marten trap under a bridge

14-Jan-17

small black wolf
small black wolf

14-Jan-17

15-Jan-17

Today we checked a wolf station down the lake and caught a couple coyotes. We then spent the day setting out more wolf snares, some beaver sets and a otter trap. Tomorrow we might go spend the night at one of the other cabins.

15-Jan-17

15-Jan-17

a beaver set ready to go under the ice.
a beaver set ready to go under the ice.

15-Jan-17
Thanks so much for takin the time to share. Always an awesome thread!

15-Jan-17
So cool could you explain the beaver set looks interesting.

16-Jan-17

We got back from the cabin and didn't see any wolves, a couple did come to the bait in the night but didn't stay till morning. We got 3 coyotes, 2 lynx and a weasel on the way to the cabin in the traps. We also got a beaver in the snares that we set the other day.

16-Jan-17

Here's the beaver set, the bait (willow)is wired to the pole and 3 snares are around the bait. In the picture the closest pole is tipped over, you can tell it has a beaver before we even looked.

16-Jan-17

this one is about 55 pounds

17-Jan-17
In the immortal words of Leslie Neilson, "Nice beaver"!

20-Jan-17
Allen flow out yesterday morning. On his last day we got a fox and weasel to make 8 different species taken during his trip. I pick up the next client today. The last few days it's been raining and now it's suppose to get cold. Hopefully the snare locks aren't all frozen during this trip.

22-Jan-17

Corky started his trip yesterday and it was just as I was afraid off. The snare locks are frozen. We had a wolf and lynx back out of the snares. We spent yesterday breaking the locks free and we set out a couple beaver sets. Today we got 3 marten and 2 weasels. At the end of the day Corky shot a lynx on our way home.

23-Jan-17
Is Corky a midget, or is that just a huge lynx?!!

24-Jan-17
Yesterday things turned around for us. A new pack of wolves moved into one of our stations. We got 2 big one out of it and it looks like there's still about 10 left. On Thursday when we go back to it we're going to bring a road kill moose to that spot and hopefully get a few more during the next trip. We also got a beaver and 2 coyotes yesterday.

24-Jan-17

here's a few pictures from the last couple days. Today we got another wolf, a big lynx, a marten and weasel.

24-Jan-17

a successful beaver set
a successful beaver set

24-Jan-17

24-Jan-17

24-Jan-17

24-Jan-17

25-Jan-17
those wolves are really impressive. what do most guys do with them

26-Jan-17

Todays catch. Most of the wolves go home with the clients that are here. We sell the rest to others clients that come up hunting.

30-Jan-17

a nice fox from a couple days ago.
a nice fox from a couple days ago.

30-Jan-17

I picked up CE at the airport tonight and on the way home we decided to check a couple lynx pens that were on the side of the road by flashlight. We got a big tom in each of the 2 sets we checked. A lynx was #1 on CE's want list. In 2012 CE came up on a trapping trip and didn't get a lynx, I think we're going to make up for it on this one.

30-Jan-17
Lloyd, What would you guess the two wolves in the picture weigh? Male/female?

What do you figure would be some "average live weights" for your BC Wolves, coyotes and Lynx?

Mark

30-Jan-17

a lynx and coyote from today.
a lynx and coyote from today.
Hi Mark, those were both big males. They were probably about 110 lbs. It is rare to get one over 120 lbs. A good sized female would be about 80-90 lbs. Wolves don't weigh as much as people think. Coyotes probably average 35-40 lbs and lynx around 25 lbs. You can get a big Tom with a full belly to go over 30 lbs.

31-Jan-17
That is one target rich environment you guys are in.

31-Jan-17
Babine Guide - Luv the color phase of the "Cross" fox, red fox, and the dark phase wolves...

Curious - Do those Cross fox pelts bring more money that normal colored reds?

Thanks for sharing...

01-Feb-17

skinning a lynx at the cabin last night
skinning a lynx at the cabin last night
We do get more people who want the silver or cross foxes more then the reds for mounting but I don't know if the fur market gets more or not. We spent last night at one of the cabins. We seen a couple coyotes on the bait but no wolves. We got 3 coyotes in the snares, 1 more lynx and 5 marten. 2 of the marten were eaten by a wolverine though. We put a couple sets out to try to get it, that wolverine could cost us quite a bit if we don't get it soon.

02-Feb-17
My favorite thread of the year. Awesome job. I would love to do that for a week.

05-Feb-17

Today was C.E's last day. The wolves have been kicking our butt this week. In the second to last snare on the last day we finally got this one. It's one of the biggest ones of the year.

06-Feb-17

a last minute fox that will be going home with CE

10-Feb-17
Lloyd is out with the new clients and I just got of the phone with him. I can tell you that his next update will be a big one!!!

10-Feb-17
This is such a cool thread! Looking forward to the next update...

10-Feb-17

3 lynx, a coyote and a wolf
3 lynx, a coyote and a wolf
We have had a great start to this trip. It's been real busy and I haven't had a chance to update. Here's a few pictures now that we're over half way through the trip.

10-Feb-17

a nice wolverine caught in a wolf snare with a stinger spring
a nice wolverine caught in a wolf snare with a stinger spring

10-Feb-17

10-Feb-17

Second wolverine of the day
Second wolverine of the day

10-Feb-17

a couple wolves caught side by side
a couple wolves caught side by side

10-Feb-17

might need a bigger skimmer
might need a bigger skimmer

10-Feb-17

a good haul after a night out at the other cabin for the night checking traps
a good haul after a night out at the other cabin for the night checking traps

12-Feb-17

another wolf from yesterday
another wolf from yesterday
Here's a few more pictures from the trip

12-Feb-17

12-Feb-17

This is the 3rd wolverine of the trip. It's been a while since we've gotten 3 in one trip

12-Feb-17

Here's a stack of hides that we skinned today, 3 wolverines, 3 lynx, 4 wolves and a coyote

13-Feb-17
When does your trapping season end?

13-Feb-17
Lynx closes on Feb. 15th, wolverine, fox and marten close on Feb. 28th. Wolf and Coyote close the end of march. Our last trip that we run is Feb 15th to 21st. We usually l leave the wolf sets out till towards the end of March. We'll sometimes run a wolf hunt/ wolf trapping after Feb. 25th.

15-Feb-17

another last minute wolf.

15-Feb-17
I mean fox

22-Feb-17

Just finished up the last trapping trip of the year and even thou we did not get many species we did get some awesome animals. The first day of the trip was the last day of lynx season so we were happy to see this in one of the first sets.

23-Feb-17
Great thread! Some very nice animals. Thanks for taking us along.

23-Feb-17

here's a some of the skulls that are ready to be shipped with the skins when the permits come in.

23-Feb-17
Another pretty cross fox Babine Guide, cool.... Color phase must be common up there huh?

23-Feb-17
The OP's wolf looks to be the same size as the pet wolf I had. Yep people wouldn't come bother us. She made a great burglar alarm.

23-Feb-17
Do you have any closeup pics of the skulls? It would be interesting to see up close details of all of the different species of animals you guys catch.

23-Feb-17

Our luck continued with some more lynx the first day

23-Feb-17

By the end of the first day we had caught 4 lynx

23-Feb-17

We also caught a pretty wolf, marten, and a coyote

23-Feb-17

During the night in the outpost camp we had 9 wolves feeding on the bait but when legal shooting light came they had moved out of range

23-Feb-17

Finally started getting some snow, it helped to pattern the wolves in the snare stations so we could hang some new snares

23-Feb-17

A busy evening of skinning

23-Feb-17

Hides drying

23-Feb-17

Cooking some lynx for supper

23-Feb-17

A second wolf caught not far from our main lodge

23-Feb-17

A new skinning, shower shed we built last summer at our one of our outpost camps

23-Feb-17

One of my favorite pictures from the trapline

23-Feb-17

2 traps, 2 marten, a nice double

23-Feb-17

Pulling some bait into a wolf snare station

23-Feb-17

A typical leg hold setup with a concrete block for a drag

23-Feb-17

After another night in an outpost camp we did not see any wolves but after walking out to check the bait on the lake we saw a single wolf track leading into a group of snares where this guy was.

23-Feb-17

View from the lake where we got the wolf

23-Feb-17

We had a mix of coyote, wolf, marten and lynx during the trip and had a couple close calls with wolverine. But we sure finished up the last day well with these 2 beauties.

23-Feb-17

The light colored one was a big male and the dark one was a mature female, both will be getting life size mounted back in Germany

24-Feb-17
WOW, What an incredible thread! Absolutely beautiful scenery and animals... I just added something new to my bucket list, I think I need a bigger bucket and a much larger wallet!

God Bless,

Scar.

24-Feb-17
one of my favorite threads to follow. Keep up the good work.

24-Feb-17
Another awesome thread. Thanks for sharing the season again!

24-Feb-17

Here's a little closer picture of a weasel, marten, lynx, fox, coyote, wolverine and wolf skull. We will keep the snares out till close to the end of March but we pulled the other sets. We have one wolverine working one spot and we'll keep a set out till Feb. 28th for him. I have friend coming out next week to run the snares with us and try to shoot a wolf. Next year we're all booked up but still we still have openings for 2019. Thanks for following throughout the season.

28-Feb-17
We are just heading back out but today we got a coyote and wolverine in the traps. Today is the last day wolverine and I have one more set to run out and pull today still. I'll post a picture of the wolverine that we just got tomorrow. Tonight we're going to stay out at one of the cabins that the wolves were at on the last trip.

01-Mar-17
I am surprised to you see you are using the MB 750 in the snow. I used to use them but have switched to Brawn #9 and had a lot better success in the freeze and thaw cycles.

Great thread once again, my favorite each year.

02-Mar-17

here's the wolverine from a couple days ago. It was one of the biggest ones of the year.

02-Mar-17

we got a couple more coyotes too in the last few days. The wolves are starting to get smart to the snares though. Might have to adjust them and hide a couple better. We stayed last night at one of the cabins and seen 2 wolves but weren't able to get a shot.

14-Mar-17

Yesterday day I took the kids out and checked 2 snare stations. We got a wolf at each of them. I'm going to go out today and pull one of the stations.

14-Mar-17
Great year and thread once again...Congrats to your guys!

Good luck with those last snare stations!

Mark

15-Mar-17
How does this year compare to the last two years?

15-Mar-17

The number of wolves around where I'm trapping is pretty comparable to the last 2 years but we're having more luck in the catching this year. I think it has to do with the snow conditions this year. There is less snow this year and the moose are able to get around better but there is just enough snow that the wolves still struggle when chasing the moose. There seems to be more wolves province wide then there use to be. Today I got 2 more wolves. I pulled one more station today and we'll leave the others out for about 10 more days and then pull them.

15-Mar-17

15-Mar-17
I am not a trapper but really enjoy following this thread every year. I have a question about the snares. How quickly do they kill wolves. It looks like some hellacious struggles take place at the snare sites. HAve you ever set cameras on video mode to record the catches? AS stated I know very little about trapping but would love to learn more about it.

15-Mar-17
My favorite thread of all time. Thanks

16-Mar-17
As always, a great thread! Thanks for sharing again this year!!

>>>>-------->

• Sitka Gear