Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
A full moon dominated the western sky
A full moon dominated the western sky
Hunt 7, January 3, 2018, 7 am, Temp 18 degrees, Expected high 44 degrees, light winds.

Not sure what to expect this morning. The past two trips the few geese that are around flew high and farther to the south. NO geese were landing on this property or adjacent properties. The goose flight usually starts around 8 am and finishes just after 9 am.

This morning was no exception with a few geese flying high.

03-Jan-18

high flying geese heading farther south

03-Jan-18
Warm enough for Chase to keep you company?

03-Jan-18

Chase and I hunkered down in the blind looking and listening for geese. Before I heard them, Chase's ears would perk up. A few more geese pasted by in the next hour, but none seemed interested in landing,

03-Jan-18

heading in with wings locked
heading in with wings locked
goose in the decoys at 15 yards. Arrow on its way. good hit but the goose gathers itself up and flies towards the ice covered pond 100 yards away.
goose in the decoys at 15 yards. Arrow on its way. good hit but the goose gathers itself up and flies towards the ice covered pond 100 yards away.
Around 9:15 I decided to gather up the decoys and head home so I grab up 4 decoys and place them behind the blind. That is when I hear this lone goose over head. I had packed up the back pack, call and bow. Chase was outside of the blind. I waited until the goose had gone by some, then dove into the blind, with Chase following. A few sounds on the goose call turned the goose and it was heading back. It was a scramble to get the bow ready.

03-Jan-18
On the edge of my seat Paul. Good luck!

03-Jan-18
I hope that Chase has goose feathers in his mouth by now!

03-Jan-18

I line up Chase for a blind retrieve, He charges across the field, through the reeds and out on the pond.
I line up Chase for a blind retrieve, He charges across the field, through the reeds and out on the pond.
Heading back with a mouth full of goose feathers.
Heading back with a mouth full of goose feathers.
Chase and I both bail out of the bind. He has no idea where the goose is. I spy it dead on the far side of the frozen pond

03-Jan-18
Fantastic

03-Jan-18
Congrats Paul. Great shot, great dog!

03-Jan-18

Trophy picture of my great dog.
Trophy picture of my great dog.
as I drive off the property, these yard hoppers are on the adjacent property. More archery targets for the future. Just when one thinks the action is over, it is not. my best, Paul
as I drive off the property, these yard hoppers are on the adjacent property. More archery targets for the future. Just when one thinks the action is over, it is not. my best, Paul
He busts out of the thick reeds along the shore and delivers to hand. Just loving what he likes to do.

03-Jan-18
Atta boy Chase! an extra piece of goose jerky for him! Congrats Paul, a well placed shot and a well trained lab make for a great day any day!

03-Jan-18
Glad to see you and Chase are out and chasing honkers!

03-Jan-18
Congrats on another! Love to see those dogs doing what they were born and bred to do. It comes from so deep in their heart and soul. Completes them.

Hunters too. =D

03-Jan-18
Such a cool thread!

03-Jan-18
Awesome!

Do you ever worry about the broadhead getting Chase? Just curious.

03-Jan-18
Sweet success!

03-Jan-18
Pat, I am very careful before I send him, to see if there is an issue. He has retrieved all 50 plus geese from this property without being harmed by the mechanical BH I use. The vast majority of the time, the arrow passes through. For those that do not, I do not send him. If you check out this goose on the ice, the arrow is still in the goose and is hanging up on the fetching. The way he picked up the goose, the mech BH is trailing so I did not see an issue. Once he got to the reeds, the arrow pulled out and I was able to pick it up. Thanks, for the question. my best, Paul

03-Jan-18

goose in sink ready to pluck feathers from breast.
goose in sink ready to pluck feathers from breast.
feathers removed
feathers removed
one side removed
one side removed
both out
both out

03-Jan-18

a soak in salt water help remove the blood
a soak in salt water help remove the blood

03-Jan-18

vacuum packed in then placed in the freezer
vacuum packed in then placed in the freezer
last step, goose jerky
last step, goose jerky

03-Jan-18
I love goose! Have you gotten a Sous Vide yet? If you haven't you should think about it. Will change everything you think about waterfowl.

Thanks again for taking us on your journey. Us desk jockeys appreciate it.

03-Jan-18
I did not know about the Sous Vide until now and Googled it . Looks interesting.

Ps.. I traded in my 'desk' for a bow, rod, and gun 20 years ago. Your turn is coming. Paul

03-Jan-18
Chase gets an extra treat tonight and you too Paul! Thx for taking us along!

03-Jan-18
Nothing like a good retriever ! I had one excellent black Lab about 30 years ago. Hand signals, whistle, blind retrieves, the whole works. He had hip problems and was only able to go about six years, but wow, what a dog. They make the whole waterfowl experience IMO. When he died, and we couldn't shoot lead anymore, I gave up the addiction.

Chase is a beautiful dog, reminds me so much of Little Lucky Guy (just Guy to his friends). Keep it up Paul, we like it !

03-Jan-18
Awesome, Paul!

03-Jan-18
Don, I do believe it is time for you to get another Lab. It will bring joy to your life and make you feel younger. Steel shot is ok, you just have to let them get a little closer. Sort of like bow hunting. my best, Paul

03-Jan-18
Very cool Paul.

03-Jan-18
Gotta love those last minute deals!! Solid team work for another great finish.

03-Jan-18
Thanks guys for the nice comments. What I love about the responses is that they come from across the US and Canada. For example, British Columbia, Wyoming, Iowa, Texas, Colorado, North Carolina, Hawaii, So Dakota, Kansas, Maryland and many others. Lots of interest in hunting waterfowl and with dog. I might just have to go again in the morning just to keep you guys happy and entertained. my best, Paul

04-Jan-18
Labs are the best. Just wish they'd get that shedding thing under control! lol

04-Jan-18
Well Nick, I suppose someone could cross a Lab with a Poodle. NAAAAA! Another designer dog but I guess they shed also.

04-Jan-18
Considered one of those, Paul, but it's just not a real lab!

04-Jan-18
Paul,

I reckon the main interest is following along a real nice guy who continues to be an inspiration to us.

Chase is just the icing on the cake.

05-Jan-18
I always love your hunts Paul.

05-Jan-18
Thanks Paul. I always enjoy another hunt with you & Chase. Good stuff.

08-Jan-18

HUNT 8, January 8th. 7 am. Temp 21 degrees. l Well I have the itch to go goose hunting. Chase is ready. Will be on the field in an hour. very dry, no snow, mild temps. Geese around and a few Yard Hoppers in the area. Maybe I can get a single to come in this morning. Follow up in a few hours. Paul

08-Jan-18
Good luck!

08-Jan-18
Paul, maybe you have touched on this before but do you have any concerns about retrieves and arrows in relation to your pup?

08-Jan-18
Such a fun thread to follow Paul. Best of luck today!

I have a young English setter (have always been a GSP guy) that is really coming into her own this year. She got in two full days of pheasant hunting over the weekend and has been cashed out on her dog bed ever since.

How long does your goose season last? Both pheasant and deer (bow) come to an end for me on Wednesday. Not sure if I will get out after more pheasants but I've already made arrangements to watch the sunset Wednesday with my bow in hand!

08-Jan-18
Good luck this morning! I'm seeing a lot more geese in the neighborhood in the past week. Tons flying your direction when I'm ice fishing in the evenings. Thanks for the great thread!

08-Jan-18
Good luck this morning Paul! The goose activity picked up a lot in our neck of the woods over the past few days!

09-Jan-18
We are getting hammered with the weather this early AM and it is coming your way Paul.

Stay warm and enjoy some more!!

Good luck, Robb

09-Jan-18
Thanks Robb for the weather forecast. It seems that weather system will just slightly touch the area with a 30% chance of rain and some light snow on Wed. with highs in the 50s. After that clear with no chance of snow or freezing day time temps. Tricia and I am heading for sunny California to visit family for 5 days. Will continue another goose hunt when I return. "stay well my friend". Paul

• Sitka Gear