Paul@thefort 25-Jan-18
Paul@thefort 25-Jan-18
TD 26-Jan-18
Paul@thefort 26-Jan-18
GhostBird 26-Jan-18
Paul@thefort 26-Jan-18
elvspec 26-Jan-18
19-Jan-18
HUNT # 11. Jan. 19. 34 degrees this morning and very light winds. We were set up and in the blind by 7:30 am. Normal goose flights around 8 am.- 9:15. Yesterday no shots and few geese. Some yard hoppers around but seem to be in a pattern to other places.

Just like any other bow hunt, one NEVER knows what the outcome might be until it actually happens and this morning was no exception. ACTION, ACTION AND PICTURE HEAVY.

19-Jan-18

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Big Foot Decoys out. Wind Drifter decoys added for movement
Big Foot Decoys out. Wind Drifter decoys added for movement
Wind Drifter goose decoys mixed in with stationary decoys. Lets see if it makes a difference.
Wind Drifter goose decoys mixed in with stationary decoys. Lets see if it makes a difference.
Holy Moley, 8:15 and geese over head and looking! A few clucks on the goose call gets them really looking. Wind Drifter decoys are moving with the light wind.
Holy Moley, 8:15 and geese over head and looking! A few clucks on the goose call gets them really looking. Wind Drifter decoys are moving with the light wind.

19-Jan-18

12-15 geese land---touch down. Chase is whining. Arrow on string. Bow in hand.
12-15 geese land---touch down. Chase is whining. Arrow on string. Bow in hand.

19-Jan-18

I range find the closest one, 34 yards. I adjust the one pin sight, aim and arrow on its way.
I range find the closest one, 34 yards. I adjust the one pin sight, aim and arrow on its way.
I hear the arrow strike but the goose walks off, like not hit.
I hear the arrow strike but the goose walks off, like not hit.
I range another one, 41 yards. Pushing my effective range. arrow in its way. A hit and the goose gains it wings, flies low and crashes, 150 away.
I range another one, 41 yards. Pushing my effective range. arrow in its way. A hit and the goose gains it wings, flies low and crashes, 150 away.
Chase is sent. All of the other geese head for the adjacent pond and land on the ice. Even the one I shot at first.
Chase is sent. All of the other geese head for the adjacent pond and land on the ice. Even the one I shot at first.

19-Jan-18

19-Jan-18

geese head for the pond. Chase is after the wounded one and brings it back
geese head for the pond. Chase is after the wounded one and brings it back
back in the blind, I see the geese on the ice. But wait, one has separated itself from the others. i wonder if..........
back in the blind, I see the geese on the ice. But wait, one has separated itself from the others. i wonder if..........
the other geese are ready to fly but his goose is just flopping on the ice.
the other geese are ready to fly but his goose is just flopping on the ice.
I line Chase up for the long retrieve and send him on his way.
I line Chase up for the long retrieve and send him on his way.

19-Jan-18

Chase crashes through the reeds and hits the ice. Goose spotted
Chase crashes through the reeds and hits the ice. Goose spotted
got it!
got it!
and to hand, Good dog
and to hand, Good dog

19-Jan-18
Awesome! As usual! Thanks for sharing these adventures.

19-Jan-18

SO NOW THIS IS WHERE THIS HUNT TURNS "STRANGE" . LIKE HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?

After chase delivers the goose, I push through the reeds to the ice edge and then spot something across the pond, that looks like a small mound of grass/mud, sort of like a Muskrat's den. The more I look the more I think it is another goose. Yep, dead on the ice. I line Chase up, and off he goes. And sure enough, a dead goose with, still wet blood over it. How did that happen.? Goose #3 for the day.

19-Jan-18
Pass through double?? Nice!!

19-Jan-18

Chase gets his treats.
Chase gets his treats.
I guess one of the arrows shot at the other two geese, hit one and then hit this goose also. Still able to fly, it made it to the pond where it died. Of the two arrows launched, I could only find one. I bet the lost one is on the ice or in the thick reeds. Only the 3rd arrow lost during all of the goose hunts over the past years. Oh well,

19-Jan-18
Nice job Paul and Chase!

19-Jan-18

geese for another day
geese for another day
Next week for sure. Thanks for following. Paul
Next week for sure. Thanks for following. Paul

19-Jan-18
Holy cow! Not only are you knocking down honkers with a bow, you have now upgraded to multiple dead fowl PER SHOT! :) You are the MAN!! :)

19-Jan-18
Man I love reading your reports

19-Jan-18
Flock shooting with the bow! Whatever it takes!

19-Jan-18
Well done Paul!

19-Jan-18
Awesome hunt Paul. Forrest

19-Jan-18
That's unreal! You hear guys bragging about multiple birds in one shot with a shotgun, but 2 arrows 3 birds?! You are a special man! That must have been so fun to see Chase do those long retrieves.

19-Jan-18
Awesome! Congrats!

19-Jan-18
So cool!

19-Jan-18
I did an autopsy on each goose as I was curious of the arrow impact as none of the geese "dropped in its tracks" with a clean body shot. In the past and vast majority of the killed geese never left the field.

1. goose one. 32 yards. Mech BH broke the wing joint but the goose was able to walk away 30 yards and then partly fly another 75 yards before Chase got to it and then was delivered back to the blind still alive.

2. goose two. 40 yards shot, (the longest to date) goose must have been facing away and the arrow entered its rear and traveled up into its body. This goose flew out on the ice where it died. Not a shot angle I would take.

3. goose three. The mystery goose found dead out on the ice, and covered with wet blood. BH sliced its neck cutting a major artery.

So maybe when shooting at goose 1, the arrow broke its wing, glanced off and hit the goose behind it, cutting the neck of goose 3. It was able to fly to the pond and ice. OR

Goose 3 was the second bird shot and was shot in the neck, and arrow continued on and hit goose 2 in the rear. I do believe this is what happened.

Goose 2, while hit hard, was also able to fly to the pond where it died.

Flock shooting? NO. Lucky shot? YES

19-Jan-18
That's awesome! I was going back and forth and couldn't find the 3rd goose before shot and was like, "Why didn't he post the picture?" Haha.

Sometimes we do have luck on our side!

19-Jan-18
Wow, a Scotch double on geese with archery! Good job recovering all the birds.

19-Jan-18
Good stuff Paul. Better to be lucky than good. A triple on the day has got to be a bit of both. I bet Chase doesn't give a lick how the 3rd one went down.

20-Jan-18
Got me on that one.... is was scrolling up and down looking for that third shot. Must have kept Chase in the blind after the first shot? Can't imagine the geese hanging around with a big black dog running all over....

Too cool. That's one of the most unique hunts and events I've heard of for sure....... congrats!

20-Jan-18
TD. Last year a goose bow hunter in California sent an arrow off at a goose on the ground. The arrow hit the goose in the head, glanced off and hit the other goose behind it, (5 ft behind and two feet off to the side) in the head, and killed both with one shot. It was on Youtube and cool to watch in slow motion. Does happen and yes unique.

25-Jan-18

Goose hunt 12, January 25, 26 degrees Have not been out since the last goose hunt where Chase was able to retrieve three and where I killed three geese with two arrow shots. Not as many geese around but, let wait and see if there is any action this morning.

25-Jan-18
The only PC (Paul/Chase) thread I like! Great going guys....

25-Jan-18
Paul haven’t you read all the stories about what can happen on long shots. I bet goose two turned 3 circles before that arrow got there. ;). Good job and good story telling as usual.

25-Jan-18
Paul, you are undoubtedly the greatest archery goose hunter in the world. P&Y needs a special category for this stuff! Good luck this morning. Nice out right now.

25-Jan-18
Great story and pictures . Thanks again.

25-Jan-18
Paul, since you have so much time for pictures during your hunt, have you considered videoing? We certainly would love to see the shots as you take them (and watching Chase work), and we wouldn't be wondering how 3 birds were killed with 2 shots. ;)

25-Jan-18
Brian M. Google, Predator Decoy Goose hunting. I did a 4 min video for them in exchange for a few decoys to try out. As you can see, the Wind Drifter goose decoys work. The last shot on the video, where the two geese line up, had the potential for a one arrow/two goose kill.

25-Jan-18

So at 8:15 two flocks come over but pass by
So at 8:15 two flocks come over but pass by

25-Jan-18

Action slow, few geese until 9:10. passing behind the blind and swinging away. I did my best goose calls, but they continued on.
Action slow, few geese until 9:10. passing behind the blind and swinging away. I did my best goose calls, but they continued on.
but 10 minutes later they showed up and looked interested
but 10 minutes later they showed up and looked interested
three landed out front but 55 yards away. Out of my effective range.
three landed out front but 55 yards away. Out of my effective range.
and the rest of the flock, 50 plus yards but too far to the left for a shot.
and the rest of the flock, 50 plus yards but too far to the left for a shot.

25-Jan-18

of the 3, one started walking and was under 50 yards, but kept walking, no shot. The remaining two did the same. no shot.
of the 3, one started walking and was under 50 yards, but kept walking, no shot. The remaining two did the same. no shot.
and joined the others
and joined the others
I remained in the blind for another half hour, hoping they might move closer but that did not happen
I remained in the blind for another half hour, hoping they might move closer but that did not happen
Had to go so I sent Chase out to scare them away. He did that eagerly. End of the hunt.
Had to go so I sent Chase out to scare them away. He did that eagerly. End of the hunt.

26-Jan-18
Heheheheh.... I bet Chase was going nuts in the blind...... love to watch those bird dogs shiver and shake with excitement...... makes me feel better when I'm doing the same thing at full draw..... =D

26-Jan-18
Tom, he has gotten better with less "going nuts" but yea, "shiver and shake", is still the real deal with him. Even with all of the various hunts I have been on over the yeasr, the next hunt is just like the first. Yes, me too excited. my best, Paul

Warmer this morning, ie, 34 degrees with gusty winds, 10-15 mph.

Hunt 13, Jan. 26, 6:26 am, will be under way in an hour or so.

26-Jan-18
Good luck this morning Paul.

26-Jan-18
The thirteenth hunt on a FRIDAY. YOU NOW FRIDAY THE 13TH. BAD LUCK. Very very few geese flying and those that were were being blown around by the gusty winds. Even a few of the Big Foots blew over and not a good day for the Wind Drifter decoys either. I came home to hunt another day. my best, Paul

26-Jan-18
That’s looks and sounds like a heck of a good time! Thanks for posting!

• Sitka Gear