Bowsite.com on Facebook
  • Deerbuilder Food Plot Website
  • Trail Cam Photos
  • Bowsite.com Elk Section
  • Mathews Solocam
Summit Treestands Mathews Solocam Carbon Express Arrows Moultrie Game Cameras Sitka Gear LaCrosee Footwear 3RiversArchery
Whitetail Deer Section Elk Section Black, Brown, & Polar Bear Section Moose Section Mule Deer Section Sheep Section Bowfishing Section Mountain Goat Section Pronghorn Section Mountain Lion Section Wild Turkey Section Caribou Section Hogs & Exotics Section Small Game Forum Africa Section Food Plots on DeerBuilder.com Bowhunting / Archery Equipment

Preserving a deer tail?

PRINTABLE VERSION

EMAIL TO A FRIEND

Messages posted to thread:
Kurt in Memphis @work 30-Dec-02
JRW 30-Dec-02
IDAHO 30-Dec-02
DennisS 30-Dec-02
FD of VA 30-Dec-02
BA 30-Dec-02
Walkingstick 30-Dec-02
Jerry 30-Dec-02
Kurt in Memhis @work 30-Dec-02
Videos
Put Your Video Clip Here!

My 13 yo buddy killed his first deer yesterday (doe,rifle)and wanted the tail. I cut it off for him but wonder if it will rot or drop all of the hair if not treated in some some or fashion. Does anyone know what to do with a tail to keep it intact?

Thanks,

Kurt

Salt the stump, lay it flat on a board, and let it dry for a month of two. Just like a squirrel tail, it won't rot and it'll be just fine.

JRW

Better if you split the tail, take the bone out, tack it down then salt heavy. Let dry for thirty days or so then scrape with broken window glass to get off all salt/meat etc. Your done.

Jim

Split the tail (you must remove the bone) and use 20 Mule Team Borax instead of table salt. Pickling salt will work, but don't use table salt.

I have always just split the tail, removed the bone and salted it.

Split the tail and use the borax . I save several each year this way for tying fishing flys .

Kurt, email me at billstax@penn.com I will be happy to send you a small quantity of tanning oil with instructions that should keep it better than any of the above. I am not nocking their ideas as they may all work but a tan is somewhat permanent...Always glad to help...Mac~

Mac, what is it you use? I am always looking to improve. Thanx

Thanks everyone!

Kurt

Reply to Thread

Subject: RE: Preserving a deer tail?

You are not registered - please click here to register now.

Copyright © 1996-2013 Bowsite.com
No duplication without expressed written consent of the author and Bowsite.com.

Privacy and Registration Policy