Snag 17-Feb-07
caribou 17-Feb-07
upstater 18-Feb-07
Matt 19-Feb-07
Sagebrush 20-Feb-07
GrizzlyHunter 23-Feb-07
BHUNTNELK 23-Feb-07
08-Feb-06
Well I finally settled on a pair of boots. First of all I want to say that I have tried on more boots in the last month than I have in my entire life!!!! Everything from Wal-Mart specials to Danners to Meindls and everything in between! I drove shoe salesmen in Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse to drinking by trying on so many sizes and styles. I rang up thousands of $$$ on my credit cards on "buy and try" internet sites (Zappos and Onlineshoes.com) only to return and try again!! Pretty neat deal actually.

I finally settled on Lowa Banffs. I tried and returned 2 different pair until I got the right size and width. It was a tie for me between the Meindl Perfekt Hiker and the Banff but the Meindl was too wide and I couldn't get it in a narrow width. I had never worn a leather lined boot before and they are REALLY comfortable. I also tried the Lowa Tahoe which is basically the Banff w/ Goretex...the Banff was much more comfortable. We'll see how it (leather lining) works out in the long run though.

For those of you that have not done it, you need to look at European made boots. I was amazed at the quality differences in European boots compared to our boots. You can just tell the difference. Meindl (German), Lowa (German), Raichle (Swiss), and Vasque (Italian) are the best boots I looked at. It simply boiled down to the fact that the Lowa Banff fit my foot the best...simple as that.

Now the reason I purchased these is because my favorite boots (Danner Pronghorns) would not make it through a season without having to be replaced so I will not know if these boots will meet that criteria until this time next year.....here's to hoping!!!

08-Feb-06
That is great information.

Can you provide some specs on the pair you ended up with? Are they light? All leather? Plastic?

I have some serious late season boots but they are simply way way too heavy for early season hiking/hunting.

08-Feb-06

gil_wy@work's embedded Photo
gil_wy@work's embedded Photo
They are uninsulated, leather lined, Vibram sole, rubber toe bumper and rand to protect the boot and are 1 piece leather. Weight is 3.8 lbs. according to Zappos.

08-Feb-06
Gil,

Thanks for the info.

I see from your trophy photos that you already killed your 2006 bull! Were you wearing your new boots when you traveled ahead in time to kill that bull? ;^)

08-Feb-06
Yeah.....my bow's so fast it creates a timewarp!!! LOL I'm recommending to Pat an edit feature for the photo section..... :)

08-Feb-06
Gil,

I've been wearing the same pair of Meindl Perfekt Hikers for the last two years. I was just thinking of picking up another pair just because. Best boot I've ever owned. Good luck with your new boots!

08-Feb-06
Let us know how they hold up, look like great boots. Probably smart not to go with the goretex. Never seems to hold up anyway in rough use.

Not to pry, it's none of my business, but how much? $$$$?

08-Feb-06
Gil, what about price between europe and na?

08-Feb-06
Bullhound, I really like the Perfekt Hiker. To be honest, if I could have gotten them in a narrow width, I may be wearing those right now. However, I don't see much difference in the two. The Banff may be a little more supportive but the Perfekt was more comfortable out of the box. 6 of one, half dozen of the other as far as I can see though. German boots are built like tanks!!!

08-Feb-06
Gil... what was it that you didn't like about the Danners? Did they just not stand up to your wear and tear capacity?

Reason I'm asking was that I was thinking of buying my girlfriend and I a pair. So....

BTW...what was the cost of your NEW boots?

Rick

08-Feb-06
Keith and TD.....$194 w/ free shipping...OUCH!!

But IF they last more than one season they will be a bargain. I had to buy a pair of Danner Pronghorns at the beginning of each season @ $130 each which = $260......So we'll have to see.....

The Vasque Sundowner, Lowa Renegade, and Cabela's Mountain Hiker II All-Leather (Made in Italy) were all REALLY nice boots in the $150 range...they just didn't fit as well FOR ME as the Lowa or Meindls.....

08-Feb-06
Bowme2, I loved the Danner Pronghorn. They are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn (including the new ones, so far) but by the end of January after literally hundreds of miles of scouting/bowhunting/rifle hunting/coyote hunting/guiding there is no tread to speak of on the heel and forefoot and some of stitching on the heel along the sole is tearing. Both years, same thing. Maybe there is no boot that can handle that but I'm hoping these Lowas will....

08-Feb-06
So.... for the 10 day a year travel to Colorado Elk hunter....then come back and walk to my treestands here in Oklahoma for 2-3 days a week for three months.... the Danners would be a good boot?

Sounds like you put A LOT of HARD miles on those pronghorns! It'll be intereting to see how well your NEW boots hold up. Hope they do!

Rick

08-Feb-06
Oh, forgot to mention another really nice boot I tried..REI Spirit II GTX Hiking Boots.....Very nice boot! I believe they are made by Raichle (Swiss)....Only $140 but they didn't fit my foot well....Long narrow feet kind of suck when boot shopping...

08-Feb-06
Bowme2, I would say for that, they would make you a very nice pair of boots for sure!!

08-Feb-06
Short wide feet are a problem also gil...my kids say I have flinstone feet..LOL

I have a pair of Meindle boots that are around ten years old..they wear like iron. The sole where bonded to the leather is just beginning to come loose, but the boots still wear really good.

I bought a pair of Perfekt Hunters two years ago. They are holding up well also.

Where did you find the Lowas? Never heard of them.

08-Feb-06

gil_wy@work's Link
Click link or try this:

http://www.lowaboots.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?Category=2&Type=M

08-Feb-06
Oh yeah- I bought mine at Onlineshoes.com.....REI, zappos, Schnees and backcountry.com also carry them.

08-Feb-06
You can put me in the Fred Flinstone "Yabba Dabba Doo!" foot category. It seems that the Euros make their boots kind of like they make their suits and clothes....long and thin!!

I went the pur comfort route. I have been wearing the same Rocky's (Can't remember the model) for 4 years now. The look like crud and the tread is getting a little thin but they are still holding up..I'm tempted to break out the camo duct tape when the tread finally wears through so I don't have to break in another pair of boots!

08-Feb-06
Jay, I tried the Mt. Trail XT and the REI boots mentioned above.....GREAT boots....But couldn't find a pair narrow enough for my foot....I would rate their (Mt. Trail XT) quality right there with Meindl's and Lowa's best....The REI boots weren't quite as nice as the Mt. Trail but they were also $100 cheaper!!! Raichles are great boots from what I've seen.

08-Feb-06
FWIW-In talking with some new friends I have made on several backpacking forums, if you want to get a boot that will last, 2 things are a must.....1. Vibram soles and 2. One piece leather uppers.

They say that those 2 aspects, all external factors (environmental conditions)being equal, have more to do with longevity of a boot than anything else. That is pretty much how I limited my search the last 6 weeks. I guess we'll see if they are correct since the Lowa Banff has both!

08-Feb-06
I have a severe ankle injury and my right foot is badly contorted (.270 gunshot wound). I had Russell Mocasin make me a pair of custom boots (the heavy boots that I reference above). They are extremely comfortable - but they weigh a ton - these things are literally huge. My 10.5 size foot looks like a size 16 print. They are the sheep hunter model with all of the extras - 4 layers of vamping on the sole..yada yada yada.

My right foot requires a wide 4E (preferred) boot just to get my foot into it. I can wear cowboy boots fine, so it isn't like my foot doesn't fit in a regular boot.

So - what is the best freddie flintstone boot of the ones listed above.

I use horses to go the long distances any more...but still 10 miles a day is not unrealistic when covering ground hunting for elk (vs. hunting elk:)

08-Feb-06
Gil, I hope your boots work out. That is the same model I bought last summer, wore them for 60 days and pitched them in the trash.

My feet have never hurt so much at the end of the day (7-12 mile days). They felt perfect when I tried them on in the store, and for short hikes. Sidehilling was bad, bruised the outside of each foot to where I didn't even want to look at a sidehill.

Anyways, not to pee on your parade. I am sure they are well built boots and fit everyone differently.

08-Feb-06
Those were my second choice after the Han Wag Mountain Lite Hunters I have from Lathrop & Sons Custom Boot System.

For a non-custom boot the Lowa's are hands down a great product.

Coming from a 9 4E foot person.

08-Feb-06
Gil, are the soles stitched to the uppers or glued?

08-Feb-06
bullelkklr-my buddy has flintstone feet (7 1/2 4E) and he absolutely fell in love with the Meindl Perfekt Hiker.

Micheal-THAT'S NOT FUNNY!!! LOL

Duffy-After you described yours, I was sure we were talking about the same boot. Your side hilling problem is a concern because that's one of the things these boots are supposed to be great at!! I hope it was just the fit and not the boot! You should really look at the Meindl Perfekt Hikers. They aren't quite as stiff but are the same basic construction (i.e one piece leather).

Sharp Sticks-They are glued on. You will find that in Europe and in the hiking community in general, stitched boots are considered much inferior to glue-on soles. In fact, that is why Meindl is such a legend in the boot industry...they perfected the glue-on process....

I'm just full of worthless boot trivia now after 2 months on this quest!! :) I need to get on Jeopardy with a "boot" category!

09-Feb-06
gil_wy@work,

It looks like you did your homework and used the right method to buy your boots by trying them on before buying.

I'm always amazed at how many people will say this or that brand is best. But brand name is the last thing people should look at. Instead they should buy fit. Then find the features you want.

I do agree though about European boot brands. They have been making mountain boots for a long time and really know what works - without the gimmics.

09-Feb-06
mathews man, How are the hanwag's I am considering a pair next year.

09-Feb-06
Gil, I have 2 pairs of Meindel boots and have had the soles from both pairs of boots come unglued on high country hunts, they are definately not perfected I do love these boots though they fit perfectly and after I got home I fixed them with polyurethane. I would like to see a heavy stitch along with glue from the soles to the uppers. I have eyeballing the Lowa Sheephunters. Thanks for the reply

09-Feb-06
Are the lathrop/sons boots heavy? I like my russels - just too durn heavy...I have worn them on 10 mile day hunts/hikes as well as backpacking - kind of like wearing ankle weights. But to make the leather that strong/sturdy/stiff, you have to use a lot of cowhide.

09-Feb-06
Gil,

due to a run in with menagitis that left me with nerve damage, I have no use of the calf muscles in my right leg. As you can imagine, all of my weight goes directly to the point of my heel because I cannot push down with the ball of my foot. The sidehill stuff has kicked my arse for years. I've rolled that ankle about a gazillion times. The Meindl Perfekt Hiker is the best boot I've found that gives me the added stability I need, the comfort I want, and the lightweight advantage as well.

By the way, I'm probably one of the easiest guys to track in the snow or on the beach. I leave one regular foot print and one hole where the right ankle sinks in. I'd like to watch somebody come across my tracks someday. They might have a fun time figuring out what I am!

09-Feb-06
Greg, I agree on the Perfekt Hiker!! Great boot! As a whole, I would say they are not as stiff in the upper and the sole as the Lowa Banff. I only wish they made a narrower width! :(

Tracking you on the beach?? People might think they've found a peg-legged pirate!! J/K

09-Feb-06
Sharp Sticks-Yeah I always liked the thought of the addition of stitching to a sole. But all of the highest rated Backpacking/Mountaineering boots are glued on...go figure...we'll see how these last!

09-Feb-06
I've been called alot worse!

09-Feb-06
Meadecreek - Bruises on the outside of both feet? You bought boots that are too narrow or have an arch that doesn't work for your foot! bruises on the outside would probably be an arch or insole problem. There are many great brands out there that will hold up well. One isn't necessarily better than the other, it is just a matter of finding the ones that are the right width, the right arch, and the right shape of boot. Minor adjustments can sometimes be made by getting a different insole or a diferent sock system.

I have heard a lot people talk about bad boot experiences and have made the following conclusion: many people don't really get boots broken in. A stiffer boot (like most boots that are for backpacking) needs a significant break-in period for most people. For me that has meant getting about 75-100 miles on them in varying terrain.

09-Feb-06
"Well I finally settled on a pair of boots. First of all I want to say that I have tried on more boots in the last month than I have in my entire life!!!! Everything from Wal-Mart specials to Danners to Meindls and everything in between! I drove shoe salesmen in Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse to drinking by trying on so many sizes and styles. I rang up thousands of $$$ on my credit cards on "buy and try" internet sites (Zappos and Onlineshoes.com) only to return and try again!! Pretty neat deal actually."

LMAO!!! That's great Gil!!!

I'm having the same problems with my Danners....Need to look for soemthing new!

09-Feb-06
glacier- I don't know about Duffy's experience but I know if I had decided on the Meindl Perfekt, I think I would have been in for a world of hurt! European boots are built strong and stiff and I think they require a much more precise fit (as well as break-in time) than say a Danner Pronghorn which has a little more "give".....I think most American/Asian boots are designed to be comfy right out of the box. Easier to sell because it appeals to our (percieved) "American" need for instant gratification/satisfaction. Either way, it probably has more to do with turning a profit through mass selling then to having a boot built well for a specific purpose.

09-Feb-06
You are hitting the nail on the head, Gil. Softer boots are comfy out of the box, but won't last as long and give very little support, so you end up with sore joints and maybe injuries. But if you are hunting flat ground, they can work just fine!

09-Feb-06
Anyone interested in some serious boot testing and comparisons should check out ww.kifaru.net. Poke around in there for a bit and do some searches for boot, meindl, hanwag etc. These are some pretty hardcore outdorrs enthusiasts and really put thier gear through the grinder.

09-Feb-06
Guys-

I might be one of the only ones to bash meindl boots but I threw a pair away last winter so I HAD to buy a new pair. The mendls eyes kept popping out of the leather (3 times) and any time I got in a downhill situation the bottom of my toes felt like they had tacks underneath them. I t was pure torture. but I gave them a good work out and wore them as mostly light hikers or casual because of thes. My replacement? Danner pronghorns!!!! Yes they do wear a little faster but they are the most comforatable boots I have ever had on. Had them in the cinder country on a AZ elk hunt this year and the bottms held up really well as the locals all said the area was really hard on boots. One more thing about the danners, I cannot make it through morethan 2 outings wihout having to apply dressing to them. They just seam to soak up everythung I can put on them

Shedhead

09-Feb-06
Shedhead-you'll get no argument from me on the comfort of the Danner Pronghorn...As comfy a boot as I've ever worn but I can't keep paying $130 every 8-10 months. I'll sacrifice SOME comfort for durability....However, so far, the Lowas have been very comfortable. They fit my foot extrememly well!

As far as the wear on the Pronghorns, if you look at the bottom of your boot, you will see the gray colored lugs. Nearly every one of those looks as if they have been ripped off and on the outside tread of the forefoot and heel, they have been worn down to where there is no grooves. There is heel seperation on the inside of both boots by the instep just below the stitching.

09-Feb-06
Anyone having problems with their Danners squeaking???

09-Feb-06
I never had a problem.....I had a pair of Rocky Stalkers that sounded like a 3 piece band though!!!

09-Feb-06
Rogbo-

The Han Wag's from Lathrop & Sons are very light but very stiff and tough in the shank. Your feet do not get tired or soar. I hunted my Goat in them and they were awesome. They are more comfortable than my New Balance Tennis shoes I wear all the time.

Undoubtedly they are the best boot I will ever own or put on my foot.

09-Feb-06
How much for the Han Wag from Lathrop?

09-Feb-06
329$

My russells were more than that...so I am willing to pay - - - but ARE THEY REALLY WORTH IT ?

09-Feb-06
I'll 2nd the Han Wag from Lathrop. I normally don't like that style boot, but I find them very comfortable and extremely durable.

09-Feb-06
"but ARE THEY REALLY WORTH IT ?"

I don't recall what I paid, I seem to remember $300ish and I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

09-Feb-06
I guess what it comes down to is there isn't a Perfect boot! I've had Vasques that have sole separation (bad glue adhesion), I've had premature wear of a sole, noisy boots.....They all have their problems. Then you have to factor in whose feet are going in the boot. Some can handle more abuse and some have tougher feet. Some of us are tenderfoots. There isn't any one Perfect boot.

09-Feb-06
I bought the REI Spirit GTX's made by Raichle. They really fit my feet the best of all the boots I tried. I put some Superfeet in them, and I've been on some 7-8 mile hikes around Boulder, CO, and they are extremely comfortable. I guess only next season will tell how they really perform!

09-Feb-06
The custom Han Wag is over $500.

09-Feb-06
But worth every penny!

09-Feb-06
Best boots I ever put on my feet are the Rocky Outbacks. The have a mock toe and give plenty of room for extra socks if needed. Down here in Alabama, we dont need insulated boots,esp if you walk to your stand. And those boots are more comfortable than my New balance running shoes. Literally feel like slippers on my feet, but with amazing support.

09-Feb-06
I and a buddy both have Danners that squeek like a rusty hinge.

10-Feb-06
Gil, did you try Asolo, I have been beating on mine for two years of almost constant wear and I must say the leather is just now showing signs of sagging, but the tread looks new. Great boot anyway, thought I would fuel the fire. I also tried the perfekt hiker and it did not fit well, so I sold them and went to a superfeet dealer who took umpteem measurements of my foot, shaped the stock boot and kept a record of my measurements so he can send me boots on the trail or in the future. Anyway, for guys looking for service certified superfeet guys are great. Josh

10-Feb-06
Huh, sounds interesting. Is that some sort of a chain store? (superfeet) Gil, my wife thanks you for getting me in the mood to buy new boots. I was trying on pronghorn Danners at sportsmans last night. Did you have the insulated 400 or unisulated? I also pulled up the Perfeckt on Cabelas they look interesting too. I liked the danners fit but also want longevity. I have some Cabelas outfitters now that are the 9" height with 200 thinsulate. It is a durable boot 3 years so far but they are not all that comfy. I worry a little about seperation on the glued soles as every pair I've had I had seperation failure.In fairness though I have never had the euro types.Keep the boot info flowing guys.

10-Feb-06
"The custom Han Wag is over $500."

Really!!!??? I defenitely have to pay more attention when writing checks:)

10-Feb-06
from what I have seen posted on another forum (prestine ventures) - the cabelas Meindle (sp?) might not be made the same as the regular meindle

10-Feb-06
Huh-I did try on a pair of Asolo @ REI (TPS 535-I think?) and they were really nice...I should have listed them. Excellent boot and excellent quality! Very comfy right out of the box...Same story...they were too wide for my feet....

idahoElk-I've only ever hunted in the uninsulated version of the Pronghorn. I also have the 9" version of the Cabela's outfitter. I've put MANY,MANY miles on mine since 1997 and they are still going strong but they were/are just way too hot and heavy for Sept (even Oct. in most cases). They still some of the occasional coyote hunt and late season rifle hunt work. A friend of mine bought a pair about 2 years ago and the ones he purchased are not even close to the same quality as the ones I bought. The leather is thinner and the threads are different (softer). I wouldn't even consider buying a pair of them now.

10-Feb-06
Here's my list of boots that I don't think you could go wrong with IF you got a proper fit. ****VERY IMPORTANT**** These boots will tear up your feet if you don't get them fit properly. They are stiff and rugged and will also need break in time but from my experience they are the best constructed out there!! In no particular order:

Meindl/Cabelas Perfekt Hiker (Awesome!)

Meindl/Cabelas Teton Hiker II (Stiffer than the Perfekt)

Meindl/Cabelas Alaska Hiker (A little too bulky but built like a tank)

Lowa Trekker (These would be the boots I would own right now if they had been 1 piece leather!!! VERY,VERY Comfortable)

Lowa Banff (Awesome!!!)

Lowa Tahoe (Same as Banff but with Gore-Tex)

Lowa Tibet (heavier duty)

Cabela Mountain Hiker II (All-Leather only-very nice boot!)

Raichle Mt. Trail XT (Great boot for the money)

REI (Raichle) Spirit II GTX (Very Nice!! AS good as anything I tried!!)

Asolo TPS 535 (Well constructed boot! Seemed a little lighter than some too)

Vasque Sundowner (Very comfortable but not much protection on the toe or for the leather)

Vasque Zephyr (light...sole seemed soft)

Montrail Torre (Too much stitching but a very nice and cofortable boot)

LL Bean Cresta Hiker (Suprising but these are some of the nicest boots I tried...Italian made...VERY similar to the Cabelas Mt. Hiker II)

Here's my #1 choice for American made (and yes it is made in the US and not shipped to China for production):

Danner Mountain Light II (still didn't have the solid feel of the Euro boots but it was very nice)

I'm sure I forgot some???? I know I tried on and liked more boots than that :)

***The only boots I did not try and wish I had were the Han Wags...I have some Spec. Ops. (Delta) buddies that swear by them but Uncle Sam is also footing the bill!!! $325 (For base model)is a little steep for me.

10-Feb-06
bullelkklr-that very well could be true....I REALLY wanted to try the Meindl Borneo and Island Pro (Great looking boots!!) but the only place in North America you can get those models is from Canada...too much $$$ and no return policies. The Cabelas Meindls definately look different than the Borneo and Island Pro which look more traditionally European like the Lowa Banff.

10-Feb-06
Not to derail the thread, but anyone know if Pivetta boots from Italy is still in business. Back then, I was the odd-man-out wearing these instead of Vasque. The soles on these were not only sewn on but had screws going up through the Vibram sole into the mid-sole. I bought them in Estes Park, CO from a boot maker. He would have you try them on and then he could make adjustments by stretching the leather in the correct places.

I bought a pair from them in the late 70's for heavy backpacking. They were a great heavy leather mountaineering boot. I still have them, but don't need them much here in IL!

Sorry, for the trip down memory lane.

I've been looking at getting a pair of Russells. Are all of them as heavy as was mentioned above?

Carl

10-Feb-06
No - the russells are all NOT that heavy...I had them put all of the bells and whistles on the sheep hunters that i bought...had I seen them first, I would have backed off on some of the options. The vamping on mine are 4 layers thick - extra toe and heal guard, 2 inches extra on top (I think 16 or 18 inches tall), 200 gram thinsulate, 1/2 in extra heel on right boot - They make everything down to actual moccasins.

10-Feb-06
Bullelkklr-

Thanks- That's what I thought. I actually have a pair of the ankle high mocs and love them.

Carl

10-Feb-06
Is the price of premium footwear wotrh it?

Like my exmarine friends drill sargent used to say " If you take care of your feet and teeth, you will always be able to walk to get yourself something to eat."

10-Feb-06
Shedhead

YES!!!! I have gone through wearing cheap or bargain footwear and stuff that doesn't fit right, but once I got a GOOD pair that FIT properly It made me wonder why I had wasted so much time and money on boots that made my feet, ankles, knees, hips and back hurt.

Of course, most premium boots are stiffer, and will require a more precise fit. I often find myself in steep, rough country, and that requires better boots and ankle support. If you are hunting flat or mildly hilly country and are not carrying loads, you may not notice as much difference. Or if you are treestand hunting, it doesn't matter as much as if you are putting on 10 miles a day in rough terrain....

10-Feb-06
So, who here would flip if their wife came home with a $200 purse?

10-Feb-06
Snag, how many times a year? LOL! Don't forget the matching shoes!

How do you think I got my new J105 backpack? And if I get drawn this year for MT I have no idea what that will cost! ;~D

Glacier is right. It seems the better the boot, the longer it takes to break in too. But once it is, it's like a good friend.

Gil, thanks for all the homework! This thread has more hits on it than the original one I think!

10-Feb-06
Snag, If she bought a $200 purse that would last for a long time and make her back, shoulders and neck stop hurting, I would call it a bargain! If it was just a trendy thing that she wasn't going to use after a few months or a year, I would call it a ripoff...

11-Feb-06
Flipping out on the wife=Lonely nights

She got her 1/2 of the tax return to do with as she pleases :)

11-Feb-06
Gil, your boots aren't waterproof? I just looked at them on the website. They look very nice, but after having the goretex I really want that in my next pair. I used to buy merrill boots they took moderate time to break in but would end up coming unglued about 2 weeks after the 1 year warranty was up.I miss the lighter weight of those merrils though. maybe I need to take a trip to Cabelas in Lehi to try on some of the Different Italian made boots. There are a lot of boots to choose from. Has anyone ever had bone spurs? I have on on my left heel, wonder if it'ds worth getting removed. Maybe that can be my pitch to the wife, surgery $$$ or new boots $ ha ha.

11-Feb-06
I have had a spur, and worked in Physical Therapy/OT while at Bethesda at the National Naval Medical Center.

Calf stretching, soft heel cushion, and if it is too bad, ultrasound then Kenalog (Steroid injection) or surgery is the path.

I have Stephens Han Wag Mountain Lite Hunter boot and when I was hunting Mountain goats, and Whitetails, my feet never got tired or a single blister.

I hope my boots will be like all the rest of my stuff, that is it will last me as long as I have it.

11-Feb-06
Gil, you sound like a man of experience with lonely nights. I learned the hard way too. I must say my wife puts up with a lot. I spend why more than she does.

11-Feb-06
idahoElk-Trust me, I did a LOT of research into leather lined boots. From what I gather as far as waterproof, the can be made as waterproof as any boot out there particularly when talking about 1 peice leather. It just takes a lot of care and topical application of waterproofers. But we'll have to see.

I can tell you right now there is a HUGE difference in breathability between Gore-tex and leather-lined boots!!! Gore-tex make my feet sweat like crazy during any activity even as mundane as walking through the mall. These leather lined boots are MUCH nicer in that respect. I even got in a little pick-up basketball game with my 7th grade team on Fri. wearing these boots. No damp socks and no sweaty feet! That has impressed me greatly!!! Now if I were to be hunting Washington and Oregon Coastal regions maybe Gore-tex is the answer but I've been impressed so far with the benefits of the leather lining.

11-Feb-06
"I spend why more than she does."

Snag!!! You KNOW you can never admit that even in front of your hunting brothers!!! She WILL find out!!! I just tell her everything I buy "is on sale"!!

12-Feb-06
My russells are leather only and I can literally wade streams with them, with gators on I don't get wet unless I go over the top!

13-Feb-06
TTT for Jon.....

13-Feb-06
bullelkklr-BTW I'm really glad to hear that!!!!

13-Feb-06
I agree on the comfort of Danner Pronghorns, not a bad bood for the money.

I also have a pair of Asolo 535's that I bought in '98 and they're still going strong.

I've also had other Danners that squeeked. I figured out that it was coming from the tongue rubbing on the inside of the leather where the laces go through the eyelets. I roughed up the leather on the tongue with sand paper and the squeeking stopped.

13-Feb-06
I don't think there is a perfect boot, but having an expert fit your foot to your personal needs is why I think the Lathrop & Son's system is so successful.

You could have the worlds most expensive boot, but if it isn't sized and fitted to your foot, well...

06-Mar-06
Thank Goodness,

My boot search has ended as well.

I was looking for a lot of the same things as Gil.

I tried on all kinds of boots and ended up with the "La Sportiva Thunder GTX".

I was looking for more of a hiking boot that could perform well with a backpack with light to moderate weight. I don't think I was looking for a boot that was as good for packing as much weight as Gil. Therefore I went with something a little more mid-weight than a heavy duty backpacking boot. I think they're calling these a trekking boot these days (lightweight backpacking and hiking).

I took the advice of many above and made my selection based on fit rather than looks or brand name. I knew they were the boots for me once my feet were inside of them. They felt like they were custom made for my feet. FYI I have what is considered a normal D width, but my feet are sort of wide towards the toes, and narrow in the heel. The La Sportiva Thunder has a nice tight fitting heel with no slip and a toe box that was wide enough to wiggle the toes but not too wide to let my toes slip on a downhill.

Thanks Gil, and all the rest that chimed in on this thread. You helped me make what I think is a great choice for my feet.

My $.02

Nick

06-Mar-06
I bought a pair of Asolos yesterday I think that they are called the "fugitive"...they were the most comfortable that I tried on out of about 20 pair. Not a true backbacking boot IMO - more of a cross hiker/backpacker.....shall see how they hold up.

08-Mar-06
I have a pair of Asolo all leather hikers that I bought in '98 and they're still in decent shape.

08-Mar-06
Asolo 95 Fusions are going on there 4th hunt. Danners for 2 seasons worked fine til downhilling it blew the toe stitching out seperating the sole from the boot. I tried the perfekt hikers on and did like them, they may be my backup boot this year til the Asolos give it up. Never had the the chance to try any Lowa model around here. Great work Gil...You should get a cut from backpacker magazine for all that effort!

14-Feb-07
Well, at roughly one year old, the Banffs are still going strong. Will easily get another 6-8 months of use out of them and more if I am to re-sole them. Uppers are still in great condition. Well, I will keep everyone up to date as soon as they have a failure.

I couple of boots I have had the opportunity to try on since this thread started and was REALLY impressed with is the Danner Talus and the Scarpa Mustang GTX.

Both seem like really nice boots especially the Scarpa.

14-Feb-07
gil, It seems you said those were not gore-tex. How did you address that and any leakage?

14-Feb-07
No they weren't gore-tex but were leather lined. I had no problems with leaking. I treated them 4 or 5 times before I hunted in them and then each time I returned from a long hunt. No leaking what so ever and I hunted in a lot of rain and snow this year. My biggest moisture problem was my socks leaching water from the top down.

14-Feb-07
Thanks for reporting back good info!

14-Feb-07
I'm a walking advertisement for Russells. I currently own 5 pairs. Imperials, PH stalkers, Art Carter Trav Sportsmen, Huron Mocs and Casual Trail Shoes. At $250 - $300 a pop, my feet are worth every penny. There are probably some other boots out there worth what is being charged. I don't care for the Euro "Moon" boot looks of Meindle's or Han Wags. I don't care for the asian produced "crap" that is passed off by Rocky, Danner or even Browning and Cabela's these days. Style wise I like my boots to look like boots from 60 years ago. I also like that Russells are made by hand by craftsman. I like that they are stitched together and not glued. I like how I can call Ralph Fabricious the company Pres on any day and ask him a question.

But to each his own. Glad you found something you like.

14-Feb-07
I just bought a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme hunting boots, non-insulated. They felt good in the showroom. We will see what happens on the mountain, I have not found a pair that feels good and holds up for quite some time.

14-Feb-07
Look at the Lowa Keronas.

15-Feb-07
I checked out the new Lowa Ranger boot the other day and was very impressed. It is similar to the Tibet, was very comfortable for my feet, and looks like it will be very durable.

15-Feb-07
I like the looks of the Ranger. Very similar to the Banff with a slightly less stiff shank and some additional stitching. Should be a great boot!

15-Feb-07
Keronas? I used to drink Keronas. Great when they're ice cold with a slice of lime!

15-Feb-07
Spelled a little different : )

16-Feb-07
not after you have had a few...

17-Feb-07
Can you still spell after having a few ???

17-Feb-07
Obviously I have had a few....Kerano is how it is spelled and here is a picture..

17-Feb-07

BHUNTNELK's embedded Photo
BHUNTNELK's embedded Photo

17-Feb-07
Anyone try the Cabela's Mountain Hiker? It looks like a European built boot (one piece leather w/ gortex) similiar to the Vasque or Asolo...but $159!

17-Feb-07
The Mountain Hiker is made in Italy.Looks like a good boot.

18-Feb-07
Has anyone out there owned a pair of cabelas elk hunters made by danner?

19-Feb-07
"Has anyone out there owned a pair of cabelas elk hunters made by danner?"

I have a pair and they are a pretty good boot. The air bobs are very quiet, but they wear quickly on rocky ground and are flat dangerous on smooth wet rocks and logs.

20-Feb-07
The best boots I have ever had were a pair of Mountain Hunter II's by Cabela's. Had them for about 10 years before I wore them out! Of course, that is only getting to go on 1-2 elk hunts, 1 deer hunt, and 1 turkey hunt every year. I now wear a pair of Mountain Hiker II's by Cabela's and they are great! I will be adding a pair of Meindl Perfekt Hiker's to my arsenal soon.

23-Feb-07
gil wy@work,

My boot search ended last fall with similar results to yours. I ended up with the Lowa Tibet GTX. Shoebuy had a silly sale going for less than $200 last year. They're an absolutely great boot! My only suggestion would be to buy a gel filled sole insert for anyone who buys them. Still a great boot though.

Grizzly

23-Feb-07
Lowa insoles SUCK !!!! I have owned 4 pair and the first thing I do is replace them.

• Sitka Gear