Manimal 23-Nov-06
JJ 15-Dec-06
JJ 15-Dec-06
Dill Pickle 31-Jul-07
wraith 16-Sep-07
29-Oct-06
I can't see it. I've been waiting for a bloodttrail all season

30-Oct-06
why wasn't there an option to see your girlfriend for a quick 20 min's then go hunting?

30-Oct-06
No tricks!!!!! Bull!!!! LOL

The first one is a monster!!!!! LOL

Let me phrase it this way,

Option 1 - Be a wuss Option 2 - Go hunting and get killed by parents and girlfriend Option 3 - Stay out of hot water with parents Option 4 - Stay out of hot water with girlfriend and maybe have a little fun....oops did I really type that

Love the first question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Really needed a good laugh this morning! Thanks Pat!!!

30-Oct-06
Pat....Sat in a tree saturday with 40mph winds, dead trees and limbs were falling all around, almost got out but was seeing deer from 2pm on,11does and fawns and 1 8pt. Shot a large doe at 5pm,no trail needed watched her go down within 40 yards. 60 mph would have kept me out of a tree tho.

30-Oct-06
One of my best days last Year was during a high wind day...I had deer all around me most of the day and 18(bucks and Does)at one time under me. So far... 1 right on this one....Thanks Pat......Jeff

30-Oct-06
Woooohoooooo...another interactive bloodtrail challenge! Thanks Pat!

30-Oct-06
Have to agree with elk hunter..... deep dodo w/ parents and girl friend or hunt.. Pat, sneaky sneaky...Kenny

30-Oct-06
Perfect way to teach a kid responsibility. "Don't do your chores, go hunting."

30-Oct-06
Yes guys, but you have to consider ALL the clues. It is FRIDAY before a big storm.

The obvious conversation is: "Dad, had a hard week at school, but I just aced my algebra test! I know I have chores, but I just know that deer will be moving this evening before the storm blows in. I will promise to do all my chores tomorrow"

And as for the girlfriend, at 14 he better strart training them right!

30-Oct-06
uhhhhhhhhh Pat ? how did you get 15

30-Oct-06
Just remember- the 'correct' reponses aren't what he should do, but what he did.

Bring it on Pat. 8^)

Greg

31-Oct-06
This one's almost too easy from the get go.

31-Oct-06
yep Q #1 was a no-brainer, b/c it was the WEEKEND, you got Saturday night for the GF all day Sunday for chores and homework. If you don't kill Friday, you can do chores/homework after the hunt. Gets dark pretty early in New England (what, 6:45ish? before the time-change, 5:45ish after?)in late October

31-Oct-06
Lol just pickin on you a little bit Pat, I was wondering since everyone loves (well maybe not everyone) these trails would you feature some of the bowsiters trails. If they included the pictures from start to finish and any other information. I know you are constantly trying to keep up this site and might not be able too have more blood trail features. Just a thought from NC, thanks for everything you do/are doing to up keep this site. Brett Thomas

31-Oct-06
I really have to disagree with the second answer. I did that and it cost me. In my opinion you should investigate the hit site as soon as possible and stop. With rain coming you should find out what you have to work with.

31-Oct-06
I had the same thinking GreenMountain. Then I remembered the kid is 14, he wouldn't know what to do when he got down from the stand. He has never killed a deer before and wouldn't know what the arrow is telling him on the hit.

31-Oct-06
Greenmountain, in the question it said you think you might have heard the deer go down. My thinking is, if thats the case he is still close, no need making noise getting down from your stand and possible pressuring him to get on the move and make tracking that much more of a chore. I always wait 30 min's before leaving the stand no matter how confident the shot. Plus it hadn't started to rain yet, there was no necessity to get down from the stand.

31-Oct-06
Yea, I also disagree with question 2...like was already stated, you need to know what you are working with. Especially in the evening. We all know how difficult it is after dark to determine anything. If the deer is that close that it's going to see me getting out of my stand, I'm going to have the binoculars out checking the situation before I move.

31-Oct-06
Darkness setting in... heavy rain expected.. coyotes in the area. With a deer you hear fall and you wait 30 minutes?

31-Oct-06
I heard my Illinois buck fall. Shot him at 5:20 pm and stayed in the stand until almost 7:00. My baby brother was a little over 100 yards from me and I didn't want to mess up his hunt. When he met me after dark he said, "Ya' know, it sure sucks watching somebody else's deer keel over."

Mine fell off a 6 foot bluff bank into a creek...pretty good indication he won't make it far. He did manage to get up and try to go up the off bank...where my brother watched him drop.

So, yeah, I can see waiting 30 minutes...unless it was raining. But it wasn't yet. And, as the dad and he had never killed before I'd expect they would be very conscious to go by the book.

31-Oct-06
I`d wait the 30 minutes..you can find out what your dealing with in 30 minutes and still get the same results as you did when and if ya got right out...why take the chance of spooking it if ya got a marginal hit...

meathunter---lets say you did get a marginal shot and you get down out of your stand right away--what have you accomplished by getting right out of the stand?? If the deer takes off you`ve still got a long trail ahead of you and any shot other than the vitals is going to take longer than 30 minutes for the deer to die anyhow..liver 4 to 6 hours, gut 12 to 24 hours, single lung 2 to 10 hours...so by getting out you either push the deer or gain nothing if it`s marginal...just my two pennys

31-Oct-06
I fully agree with getting down and checking the hit scene. With a good hit, the deer will be down and dead within seconds. With a marginal hit 30 minutes won't do any good. (Often it takes 4 plus hours, what's 30 minutes going to do for you?). We teach it in the on the bowhunting course, mostly for safety reasons. Many first time hunters will get so excited they will often get hurt trying to get out of the stand, so we tell them to sit still and listen for at least 30 minutes, by then they should have calmed down enough to safely climb out of their tree stand. with a marginal hit, the deer will still be able to get up and run for a very long ways after just 30 minutes, all you've done is lost available tracking time and light. If I suspect a marginal hit, I'll wait far longer than 30 minutes. Unless a suspect a vein or artery was hit, then pushing the deer until it bleeds out is sometimes the best chance for a recovery.

I would recommend however, while getting out of the stand, do so extremely quietly, with slow movements and as little noise as humanly possible.

The 30 minute rule of thumb is just that. A rule of thumb. I seen more animals lost under these same conditions then recovered. The high winds blew the blood soaked leaves ever where, and the trail was extremely hard to follow because we where finding blood everywhere. Then the rains kicked in and washed all the blood away. The deer was found the next day after the coyotes and crows found it first.

I get called in on a lot of blood trails each year, and I can't remember how many animals I've found less than 150 yards from where the shot took place. Far too often after something has found it first. Every time the hunter waited 30 minutes to one hour as instructed.

Now I'm not saying you should get out of the stand right away. I fact I would discourage this. Take a few minutes to collect your thoughts, then slowly start gathering up your things, lower your pack and bow, etc... If the weather is still dry and the wind is blowing around, even if the deer is only 50-60 yards away, with the wind, he shouldn't hear you anyway, if you move slowly and quietly. By the time you reach the hit scene, the better part of 10 minutes should have come and gone. What's the next 20 minutes going to do for you? Other then possible scatter the blood leaves in ever which direction...

Every shot and ever trail is different and you should be able to judge them accordingly. I've been hunting for 25 years, and I've never lost an animal, only to find it in the next day or two. I have lost animals that were never found because they recovered. And I lost a deer to another hunter one time. I hit a doe high after she tried ducking under my arrow, and I knew it was a marginal hit, one lung maybe, two, but one for sure as my arrow struck her shoulder blade. I had actually waited for 1 hour before moving, I then walked and flagged the trail she took when she left the field. I went home, called a couple of my buddies, ate supper, got my lantern all set. Picked up my buddies, and headed out to where I shot the deer which was a good 25 minute drive one way. About 8 yards after the deer entered the woods we found my broken arrow. Which confirmed that I had 6-8 inches of penetration. Confirming one lung, and maybe, just maybe hopefully damaging the second lung. Well we tracked her for about 400 yards, and decided we should back out and come back the next morning with my buddies tracking dog. The trail ended about 80 yards from where we stopped the night before and 30 yards from another hunters tree stand. The dog took us right to it. And that was the only bed we found and there was quad tracks there as well. Maybe I should have followed that deer right away. I might have saved my deer and gained a quad in the process.

31-Oct-06
The hunter in the pic of the bloodtrail 21 looks alot like the hunter in the pic of the thread "firstdeer" with bigfoot...just throwing that out there.

Jeff

31-Oct-06
I'm getting down and doing a quick check of the hit scene. Also putting location in my GPS. If I get lucky, I find the attow and more clues. Then I'm hauling a$$ to get my wise old neighbor to help me come up with a plan and gather the gear I might need. I may or may not bump the deer when I check the scene. It's a chance I'll take because the clues at the scene are time sensitive considering that light is fading fast and the weather is coming in. There are a lot of other good reasons that I can think of that tell me to get with it right away. The only negative that I see, is that I bump the deer but then I know it's still on the move and I can adjust my plan accodingly. Tracker

31-Oct-06
Not doing well so far. Figured Pat for throwing a curve, and he did, Just not the one I thought.

As far as #2 goes I would have gotten down and looked. I would have done it very quietly and slowly. With the weather and dark I would need more information, So down the tree I go.

It hard with these these Blood Trails because sometime you have to play the game and sometimes do what you think is right to get max scores.

Keep them coming anyway.

31-Oct-06
Well poop. Big fat 0 on the first question right out of the gate. Putting off chores wasn't an option for me (stuff that had to be done every day). Oh well.

01-Nov-06
Boys he!! must be freezing over because I am 4 for 4 on this one!!!

Kman in the GAME:)

01-Nov-06
Started off 4 for 4. That can only mean I'll be screwing up shortly! :-)

02-Nov-06
The answer to 6 is B&C. Not just C.

You can see a pin drop of blood if you draw line under the blood in C and extend it to the left over B.

Pat, please take a closer look. I think you might be wrong.

02-Nov-06
the dang hair threw me, and I don't know why, shoulda waited 'til my 1st cup of coffee ;-)

Urban Hunter, I've heard of "you coulda heard a pin drop" but never "you coulda SEEN a pindrop" ;-) y'all take this stuff way too seriously! :-)

02-Nov-06
I agree urban hunter, in pic. B at the top there is a leaf with a red dot on it that very much appears to be blood.

02-Nov-06
I third Urban Humter and CCoffey. It sure looks like a pin drop of blood at the top in "B".

If not, I am breathing easier because me missing one means hell is back to normal hot again:)

02-Nov-06
I agree with urban hunter too, i chose B & C because of that and was surprised to get a zero. : ^(

02-Nov-06
I agree with you all, there does appear to be a pindrop of blood at the top of B, we need to call in the judges. :) I think someone missed it.....

XMan

02-Nov-06
I also picked B & C. I thought it was a pindrop of blood too, on the tip of the green leaf. I think Pat is cheating us. lol.

02-Nov-06
I think you guys are seeing things.... :0) ....Jeff

02-Nov-06
ROFLMAO.....Jeff

02-Nov-06
i also thought B & C but it's possible i was seeing things. i was 5 for 5 until then so this will keep my streak of always screwing up at least one question.

02-Nov-06
Pin drop of blood in the top of section B by the leaf stem! I picked B and C.

02-Nov-06
Me too, picked B and C because of the pin drop at top. I couldn't zoom in any further to verify.

But the question is why not half credit for picking B and C?

I'm used to getting zeros, so it's no big deal.

02-Nov-06
no blood in b. your creating illusions by looking tooooolong.

i got robbed on the hair photo. it sure looks like it is cut hair to me. not by a barber either.

02-Nov-06
I was thinking the same thing. I could sworn I saw a pin drop of blood in the top of B.

02-Nov-06
Half credit for B&C?! No Way!! How about no credit for those that answered just B, and full credit for B&C answers... Good stuff....

02-Nov-06
I said B&C as well. I swear I see a pin drop in the top of B. I even put my reading glasses to verify. LOL

02-Nov-06
I picked C but you guys made me take another look. Gotta agree with Pat, no blood in B, only in C. ;)

02-Nov-06
Booo...hisssss....: )

I picked B&C as well. dangit!

02-Nov-06
Better get off the field quick after the game there Zebra...I'm waiting in the north endzone tunnel.

J.E....B&C victim as well.

02-Nov-06
Maybe for once being partially color blind actually helped (I have issues with seeing the red blood on the green/brown forest floor). I saw the drop in C but didn't even notice anything remotely close in B.

Thank goodness I hunt with some really good trackers who are able to help me out!!

02-Nov-06
I see 4 drops in C. But I still say there is a small drop in B! This is fun!

02-Nov-06
Me too Mighty Mouse. I was just excited I could see something in C!!

02-Nov-06
I agree with the dissenters and respectfully disagree with the opinion that there is no blood in "B". I see a minute drop at the top of "B" on the very tip of the dark greenish brown leaf! Oh, well. At least there is enough in "C" to follow to the backstraps!

02-Nov-06
B & C...the one time i look a little harder it bites me in the butt...if i don't look hard enough there usually is a spot (like there is in B) that IS blood.

Can't win - LOL

02-Nov-06
Definitely only blood in "C". You guys are looking too close.

02-Nov-06
Answered C but I think you B/ C guys may have to appeal to the commisioner. 8^)

I blew it up in Photoshop and agree the color looks the same.

02-Nov-06
I also blew it up in photshop just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Its blood...but I am not going to argue with the referee, game back on. :)

02-Nov-06
I taking my blocks and going home!! I'm not playing anymore. Pat cheats...!! LOL

02-Nov-06
I took it to photoshop and I still think that little spot is blood. But hey, dang this is fun!!!!!

02-Nov-06
I had the forensic scientist from television check it out and they sprayed the pic with some kinda spray and there is definitly blood in b and c

02-Nov-06
I'm with most of you. I picked B & C due to the pin drop in the top area of "B". J.E. I've got the south end covered. I'll be waiting to throw my beer on him!! LOL

02-Nov-06
OK Pat, you got me! After blowing up the image, the spots in B I thought were blood are not as sharply defined or exactly the same color as the true blood spots in C. Oh well, I checked out the shot spot too soon (should have known you would get me on that) and saw blood where there wasn't any. Still makes one look and think. Keep 'em coming!

02-Nov-06
I am glad I was not alone with picking B and C, I would have lost money on that pick.

02-Nov-06
I say we call the CSI "Big Buck" crew and get that drop on B analyzed!!!!!

02-Nov-06
I still say that there is a small pin drop of blood on top of B.

02-Nov-06
I saw that little speck on the very left tip of that olive leaf, at the top of B , and answered B and C as well. What fun would these things be without a little controversy anyway?

With the equipment that Pat uses to take those pictures, it should be possible to zoom in to the molecular level.

02-Nov-06
I think someone(Pat) used a red magic marker and put a spot on the leaf in B to distinguish between the good and the best. He had to put a trick in here and didn't even know it. lol ready for the finish line

03-Nov-06
I enjoyed the contest as usual. But, I MUST say that the pic with all the kids in it has to be the best TROPHY pic I have ever seen on here!!!!!

Guys, we have got to get our kids involved in the outdoors!

Awesome job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

03-Nov-06
finally made the "top 200" list, woohoo!

03-Nov-06
I got hosed on the second to the last question. Which quadrant has the next clue? I put D and it gave me zero points. Oh well, I know I finished with a perfect score and that is all that matters. Love these challenges. Keep 'em comin'. Congrats on the doe and great shot!

03-Nov-06
I stared at taht for 5 minutes convinced C was too easy. I finally found that pin drop of blood in B...and stared for 5 more to make sure. That referee must be blind! lol Still, another great bloodtrail, keep them coming.

03-Nov-06
Darn!, I messed up the last question.

I took a long look at that red speck on "B" too, but determined it to be a different color and sheen than the obvious blood so went with only "C".

13-Nov-06
There was only blood in "C" I didn't see any in B although it may look like there would be a drop of blood. But it could have been a coloration in the leaf.

23-Nov-06

Manimal's embedded Photo
Manimal's embedded Photo
There IS blood in B and C. Judge for yourself from this pic. I blew it up in Photoshop and there is definitely blood.

23-Nov-06

Manimal's embedded Photo
Manimal's embedded Photo
My bad! Here's the blow up.

15-Dec-06
There's definetly a spot in b, I feel much better after seeing the enlargement

15-Dec-06
There's definetly a spot in b, I feel much better after seeing the enlargement

31-Jul-07
I can't answer the q's for points it says there is an error and won't let me be scored. Do yall know what I need to do to fix it?

16-Sep-07
It's not you it is a server some where i got the same thing.

• Sitka Gear