Buckstopshere 04-Aug-07
Deacon Dave 04-Aug-07
asatguy 04-Aug-07
22-Nov-06
“cervid nymphomania"

That was hilarious!

Bill in MI

22-Nov-06
The moon calculator is great,It`s intuitive, visual,and fast,just the way it should be.

22-Nov-06
All I know is I Hate Full Moon! Always have and always will! I don't buy into the Moon Guide thing! I just hunt! Bow Hunting has always been better for me when there is NO full moon! RUT TIMING? Well, I don't think the RUT is governed "much" by the moon. But the deer do move late night during that time of Daylight during darkness. I have a lot of time to hunt so I pass on the full moon days as being The Best! I'd rather have it DARK Moon and way more deer sightings. JMHO

22-Nov-06
Uh well I just plan on being in the woods whenever I can. From start of season to the end of October, I'm near acorns and other food sources. In Nov. I'm hunting funnels and close to bedding areas period. December I stay close to prime food sources. I've never killed a large buck, but that is my own fault due to hunter erro. LOL Neat article, but deer hunting isn't supposed to be that complicated. Any info helps

22-Nov-06
I don't think the moon has much to do with the rut but, I do know that the deer are more active in the mornings and evenings when the moon is in the new moon phase. And, that is when I am in my stand. Although I did sit in my stand all day a couple of times this year with the full moon and didn't have much luck. Steve in Ky.

23-Nov-06
I think the world runs on gimicks ! With that said, I believe that you have to be in the deer woods to shoot em. We as humans have no clue as to when the best time is. Deer are out and about every day. Just not always where we would like them to be.(in front of you) So we hunt! To me the best time is when your out there ! bearman

23-Nov-06
For some unknown reason deer will always do what we don't expect them to do. Bucks will contradict what every so called expert say they will or want do. That is why i love hunting so much. Every Fall we are allowed to participate in the greatest chess match that has ever been created.

Deer and especially old bucks will hardly ever do anything by the text book.

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving!

23-Nov-06
Have bow hunted for 40 years now and all the big words these guys spill out will never convince me that the moon should determine when you should hunt. It's not like they live in the Holiday Inn. Moon or no moon the deer are always out there, are they breeding, I don't know but there are too many other factors that control what they do during these periods than moon phases. We hunted out west during a full moon this year. Was the hunting great? No. Was it because of the moon? Don't rely know but 90 degree temperatures may have had a lot more to do with it than the moon phase. If bucks are not breeding during the rut period they more than likely are looking for something to breed.

One thing I have discovered is that food source have more to do with finding deer than any one thing. During rut find the food source of the does and you will find the does and the bucks as well. In hard wood country if acorns is the game then the period of the acorns is where to go. If a corn field has just been combined the deer will be there. If a milo or bean field has just been cut you will find the deer there.

Hunting pressure has a lot to do with it as well. I use to go to IA.. I would set up my stand on Friday shoot my buck on Sat. and go home on Sunday. This year I was warned by the land owner, things had changed. Boy was he right. Had been waiting two years to get my tag and in that time others had been hunting the same area. Deer came out just before dark and were back in the timber before day light. Was no moon.

I have shot deer in Aug. Sept Oct. and Nov. can honestly say that the only time I have never shot one is when I was here on the computer. Want a deer? get out and hunt them and come up with your own theories.

A good fiend of mine spends most of his time hunting down South in LA.. He tells me the rut is in late Dec. in his area while here in Kansas it is around the 8th or 9th of Nov. No one can ever convince me that moon phases have anything to do with it all.

23-Nov-06
Pat - thanks for the moon phase chart. Can you please include a moon position feature for specific location by zip code?

yes, i too hunt when i can, but observe the moon phase and position. they are important variables, just like time of year, time of day, climate, wind, temperature, precipitation, hunter pressure, etc.

personally, i have found the moon phase and position to be very significant to deer movement in general, not just rut issues over many years of observation.

thanks, fisher

23-Nov-06
Rut/Moon???

Balderdash...less than 03% impact.

23-Nov-06
Food for thought! Is a pen raised deer still a deer or a pet? I doubt pen raised deer have anything to do with rut surveys that are meaningful unless you are razing deer! After 50 plus years of flinging sticks at Bambies bigger friends it comes down to three simple yet set in stone rules for deer hunters. (1) Deer do not live in houses you must be in the woods to kill deer.(2)You must understand food sources and where they are and when they change. If you never concentrate on the food sources you will never find active bedding areas and active travel routes.(3)Combined with the above this is equally as important as the food sources, very simple word but very complex to understand fully, wind! A puff bottle and a string or feather on your bow will help but it is only 30 % of the story. You must understand thermals and currents. Thermals are governed by heat or lack of heat, hot up, cool down fairly simple till you add in currents. So how do we examine currents in a meaningful way? We need something that will ride the currents when we are sitting in a treestand, blind or still(stalking) on the ground. May I suggest a very bright orange or possibly a fluorescent yellow or chartreuse color, these are easy to see and usually will not blend into the deer woods. The material is poly yarn or as we fly tiers call it glo bug or egg yarn. A $3.00 package will last at least three years if you hunt 60 to 70 days each year. Simply pull off a small fluff about the size of a corn kernel, separate it into a flat pancake about the size of a quarter or larger ad drop it from a standing position while in your tree stand. Now watch it to see where it goes and you have a 90% accurate idea of where your scent is going. 90 % because some cross currents at ground level will be different and the material in most circumstances will be obstructed by small growths before it hits the ground but 90% ain't all that bad. I can say without reservation that these three simple yet extremely important factors will get you a much larger percentage of deer tags filled than any other ideas or items currently available except maybe a radio collared Bambie! I should back up to food source for another thought! If you find the current hot food source then you will find the does and the bucks will be there on the secondary routes even when the rut is not a factor. All that being said here in New Hampshire if you have two weeks vacation and can spend it in the woods be here from November 4th till the 18th and you will always find bucks chasing the ladies regardless of what the man-in-the-moon predicts.

23-Nov-06
I also hunt no matter what phase the moon is in. When the moon is full I will often spend the entire day in the woods and it is not unusual to see bucks at 11:00 AM. When the moon is full I see more deer in the middle of the day than early and late. What's nice about being retired is I can hunt anytime but before I retired I hunted every minute I could and paid no attention to the moon, you won't kill a deer if you aren't in the woods.

24-Nov-06
I'll tell ya, the best time to be in a tree is when the moon is RISING. I dont care if its full or not, if the moon is coming up in late afternoon before sunset( I like 1-3 hours before sunset) I want to be in a tree!! If its a full moon I want to be up in a tree by 11:30 am and set the rest of the day till dark and hope it rises early. On those days like that, I'll sleep in and hunt those times. My last 3 P&Y quality deer have been taken on a rising moon. All taken later in the afternoon. 1 on Nov. 3rd and 2 on Nov. 5th., all taken in the 4:00pm time frame....Jeff

24-Nov-06
Bow hunting in MD/PA/VA/OH for over 30 years. The main rut seems to be consistently from Nov 5 to Nov 20. This year we saw a lot of activity in early November and Nov 20-22 due to cold weather. I have noticed that from about Nov 16 to Nov 23 the bigger bucks are searching hard and can be called in with a grunt call fairly easily (I'm assuming this is due to the lack of hot does). I have taken some of my largest bucks during this period. I took a big 11-pointer this year on Nov 21 which came within 4 yards of the tree after grunting 3 times. I do think temperature and moon transit and secondary moon transit (under foot) are factors that do effect deer movement, but the rut does not change because the deer go into heat based on time of the year. Shuteye, I also have noticed that when the moon is full a mid-day or early afternoon hunt can be good. Great tip!

24-Nov-06
I have read a great deal on all the people spoke of in the article. I personally follow and use Jeff's Moon Dials and Rut Guides. I use these religiously because of the data I have personally collected over the years as well as a very avid hunter in the U.P. who I have learned a great deal over the years from.

PLEASE, before you draw any conclusions without having any data collected yourself (on paper), start a detailed log the next couple of years and then come up with your own conclusion on these theories. Chad.

25-Nov-06
Liked the moon maps, very nice. But I did not gain the incite that I hoped the article would give. Since I hunt Ohio, I wanted to know what the rut peak should be there. I did not notice any graphs or correlated data petaining to the other, more northern locations, other than S Carolina.

25-Nov-06
Here's what I wrote on Tink's thread.

"I don't think the moon alters the rut, nor do I think the weather effects it. Both however can and do effect deer movement, ie. times of day they're more apt to be out and about.

It's the shortening photoperiod that causes rut, just like with plants. As nights lengthen in the fall of the year many kinds of plants know winter is coming and produce seed to continue their species while the moon shines on the whole continent with no regard for long nights of winter or short summer time nights. The rut starts in the north and progresses southward. Over the course of a couple months you can find peak rut somewhere between Canada and Mexico no matter what the phase of the moon."

I'll add the following: 1. During cold weather deer have to eat more to keep warm. 2. Low pressure systems moving in makes many animals more active, especially during their breeding season. 3. Deer see much better in dark than we do.

Given a full moon, warm temps with high pressure and no precipitation predicted and you've got a formula for few daytime sightings, even during times of peak chasing behavior.

There's a lot of variables. And even if you sum them up correctly, as stated above, you're still only guessing because deer don't always do what's expected of them, especially mature deer who've seen several hunting seasons come and go.

25-Nov-06
ps

A variable I forgot to mention, moonrise and moonset times must also be thrown into the mix.

25-Nov-06
One thing that makes whitetail rut prediction difficult is that there are different strains of deer around the country with their ruts at different times. So if you are going on a hunt to another area of the country (or Canada,) check first with the hunters there, at that place, when the rut peaks. For instance, where I live in the northeast, the rut runs through October and November. But in south Texas it's December and January. And in much of the south it is November and December.

In other words, the generalizations can't span the breeding dates in the different parts of the country to be accurate.

More to the point - rut prognosticators, those of us who predict the rut, put our credibility on the line because once it is in print, you can always be shown if you are right or wrong.

And rut prognosticators are a lot like the football experts on TV that predict the outcomes of games or who is going to be in the Superbowl or the World Series at the beginning of the season.

There is a lot at stake, maybe not a lot of money. But a deer hunt can be some guy's week off once a year. Vacation time. And maybe a paid hunt out of state. So it is important to nail down the right week.

I've archery hunted just about every day of the bow season for the last 36 years, and many days of the gun season too in two states (I live on the border.) And I know two things: 1. I want to spend time in the woods hunting just prior to the actual Rut or breeding time. Deer movement sucks after the rut and the deer are in their resting, non-movement phase.

2. Spending time in the woods is not always a positive thing, a net gain as far as deer hunting goes, unless you have a bunch of different hunting areas. When we hunt we stink up our stands and alert the deer in that area.

I love the topic. But when we think about it, it's all about sunlight. The dialectic between "photoperiodism and Moon Phase" is a non-issue. All natural light is still sunlight, either reflected or direct, right? The moon doesn't have it's "own light," man. It doesn't really glow, man. It isn't mysterious and spooky and made of green cheese.

Moonlight, sunlight bounced off the backboard of a rock called the moon, tunes the timing of the whitetail rut like it tunes the grunions' dance in the sand in the ocean and the smallmouth bass spawn cycle in May on the rock shoals here in the Finger Lakes.

How else would they get it right for their neck of the woods? They can't read our calendars because here in the northeast, they isn't much margin for error. Too early in April and there is nothing to eat and maybe too cold. Too late in the summer, and the fawn is too small to make it through a tough, long winter. How do they time it? Photoperiodism. They catch the sunlight in the back of their eyes; taking a 93-million mile bounce-pass off the moon to fine-tune the timing of the arrival of the next generation, their biological imperative, and our pursuit.

25-Nov-06
Jeff: There are other "fine tuning knobs" to the rut. It ain't so simple as just photoperiodism. One is as you mentioned; dark cloudy, overcast days. Periods of gloomy days accelerate the rut, as do cold snaps.

25-Nov-06
I thought this year the rut seemed to kick later than normal and I remember all the moon guys predicting that to happen because of when the hunters moon fell on the calender.

I have always found the second week in november to be one of the hottest weeks for daytime activity, but this year I have seen much more activity during the third and even more during Thanksgiving week. Now here in the PA and MD we had some really unseasonable warm weather the second week of Nov. So was it the weather that surpressed daytime activity in early Nov. or was it the moon phase??? Who knows.

Pat

25-Nov-06
Whitetails I don't have a clue. Blacktails, mule deer, elk, bear and I would imagine nearly every species will time their rut mostly on the photoperiod. At least more than anything else.

BUT, I believe weather and moon phase have a huge influence on ACTIVITY. Hunting pressure will also have an effect. Even if in the truest biological terms "the rut is on", it's the timing and combinations of rut, weather, moon, etc. will usually determine how the hunting is for any given time.

26-Nov-06
I used to follow the "Bottom line":

you’ll never know unless you’re in the woods!

Having only hunted my own property the last 4 years it has taught me one thing. Bottm line:

Want to know the rut? "Know your Doe"

27-Nov-06
In my 25 plus yrs of bowhunting, I've noticed the rut kicks in strong the week and a 1/2 following the first moon of November. It sure didn't fail me this yr, things really picked up the 2nd-3rd weeks of November. According to the new Moon calculator, I will be trying to get the first two weeks of November off on vacation in 2007.

30-Nov-06
It's obvious that the fellows who are making money from the moon guides are going to dispute the results. It affects their pocket book. I tend to believe results from individuals who are not profiting more than those who are.

If you review the above posts, most are saying that the rut occurs within a one to two week period annually.

30-Nov-06
I do agree to some extent that moon does affect deer movement and feeding times, but that estroush cycles are based on photoperiod.

I do know there were a lot of nice bucks seen and taken on October 27th this year and I personally saw bucks glued to does, so I know they were really close to coming into estrous. Last year was good on the last weekend of October as well and the new moon was a week later.

Over the years the last weekend of October has always been good for me and the week before and the week after are pretty good too, so I can agree with the October 27th date for the peak estrous cycle date, rather than November 10th for my region.

30-Nov-06
Hunting whenever you can is obviously the best option, but not always possible. For example, this year I knew I had only one weekend to hunt whitetails. I chose the weekend of Nov 18-19 because of the rut, the cold snap, and the dark of the moon. I hunted 2 days and saw over 45 deer. My buddy hunted 3 days and saw over 75 deer. We both took nice bucks on the 18th. I took a 142 inch 10 pt and he took a 130 inch 8 pt. So yes hunt when you can, but if you can't hunt every weekend or during the week, then use the moon, weather and, timing of the rut.

13-Dec-06
forget the moon-just hunt!

24-Jan-07
We focused solely on hunting the moon phase in SE Kansas this year. My buddies and I have always kept an eye on the lunar cycles, but took Nov. 1-12 off for our hunt this year based solely in the different "lunar forecasts" out there. This was the moon phase going into and through the full moon. Here's what we found. The deer in the area were not fully into the seeking and chasing phase during this time period. The does were still not in heat, though the bucks were eagerly awaiting the event. There were extenuating circumstances affecting deer movement. We did have some above average temperatures, and we all know that warm weather can really shut things down. The following period from Nov.13-20 saw dramatically increased activity in the area. Buck movement, and bigger buck movement, increased dramatically, as the does kicked into heat. Historically, this is usually the best time in our area, regardless of lunar cycles. From now on, I'm hunting Nov.11th onward for the best chance at hunting bucks during the rut. But like others have already stated, I'll be in the wood as much as possible throughout the entire season.

25-Jan-07

Tombow's embedded Photo
Tombow's embedded Photo
Moon thing has been studied to death and there is no repeatable correlation with rut timing. Sometimes it falls within, other not, just happens to be close to the rut sometimes. Here in NB you can set your calendar to the rut pretty much every year.

Deer begin to breed in New Brunswick around October 21st each year. By November 10, things really start to "take off" as far as breeding goes, and by November 14 - 14% of our females have been bred. There is a distinct "Peak Rut" over the last 10 years that occurs between November 15 and December 4th. Our peak rut in NB is the last 2 weeks of November and just into the first week of December -data from over 1300 bred females bear this out as a full 62% of the does bred are bred between November 15 and Dec 4th. There is a "trickling" of breeding that continues on through December, made up primarily of fawns that reach 52 pounds and are capable of breeding. They tend to come into estrus later (usually December) and will be bred then, along with a few older females that might have either "missed" being bred, or came into estrus behind the others. These does account for the remaining 23% of females bred. Peak breeding dates since 1997 are November 19th and 26th - days where 4.3% and 4,4% of all females are bred. Actually, from November 14 onward, over 3% of females are bred EACH DAY until December 4th when the peak starts to subside.

25-Jan-07
I hunt predominantly between the moon phases of September and January. Wind and stand placement are the only things that matter to me. Everything else is just trivial.

18-Jul-07
It makes a difference to me because I schedule vacation around the rut. Next year I may take vacation a week earlier.

18-Jul-07
I have been deer hunting for over 50 years. The deer in Maryland and Delaware rut the same time every year. The week before Delaware shotgun season the bucks will be rutting and it carries over into the shotgun season. I never paid any attention to the moon, just the date of the hunting season. Since I only live three miles from Delaware, the deer in my back yard rut the same time. In my neck of the woods if you take off the first two weeks of November you will hit the rut. Now that I am retired I can hunt every day. Some years they seem to do a lot more chasing than other years and I am in the woods every day so it isn't like I miss it.

19-Jul-07
How do the deer rut at the same time?

What do you mean? Do you mean "same time" on our calendars, the Gregorian Calendar? or do you mean "same time according to moon phases?"

Now I have to admit, that you have been deer hunting longer than I. I'm just a "whippersnapper" at 37 years of bowhunting. But anywho you figure it, that's a lot of moons :-).

Before the invention of our calendar, the Julian Calendar was used. It is kind of interesting that the Islamic calendar is not the one we use. That's why their holidays and religious ceremonies fall on different days each year, but our holidays are the same, (like Christmas on Dec. 25, etc.)

And anyone has to ask themselves, why is a woman's cycle and a whitetail deer's about the same time - 28 days, a moon?

And check out last year's "rut activity" posts on this site from last year, around the first week of November for the Northeast (and that latitude and strain of deer.) Most everyone said it was "dead," and nothing happening.

I bet this year will be dramatically different! Starting around Nov. 5 on... things should really rock, just the opposite of last year.

Best of Luck!

19-Jul-07
I always plan on being in the woods every day the first two weeks in November and always hit the rut in there sometime. That is about the only time I can be sure I will see some big bucks. Most of the real monsters, in my area, are just not seen during daylight hours except during the rut. I have trail cam pictures of a 12 pointer about 150 yards from my house but all the pictures are taken between midnight and 4 AM. My neighbor and I have never seen him, only in my trail cam pictures. I am hoping to see him when the rut kicks in this November.

19-Jul-07
Same time every year in KS. Period. Weather and other factors play a role int he activity we see- but same "bat" time same "bat" channel every year :). If I had to pick one week- you can have the peak- bruisers are tied up in some out-of-the-way-place breeding. Hunting before and after peak is far better for bruiser bucks.

19-Jul-07
Just count back 160 days from the time you see the first fawn. That'll put you very close as to last years rut.

Moon phase I don't deposit much into that account, but, moon position regardless of the phase, I pay very close attention to and hunt specific stand sites according to the position.

20-Jul-07
About the only time I pay attention to the moon is when it is full. That is a super time to hunt all day. Deer come out more at mid day during a full moon than normal.

20-Jul-07
I agree with the theory of backdating fawns but.....

Gestation period for whitetails is 200 days, give or take a couple days, not 160. And we do count back as a confirmation of the main rut timing.

Not that this is scientific, but very few spring gobbler hunters in my neck of the woods reported see fawns in May, except for the last day or so and into June - this year. And that is because last years rut was in the third week of November.

But the year before, in May of '06, turkey hunters and others in the outdoors noted fawns being born in the middle of May. And that was because the rut in '05 was at the tail end of October, almost three weeks earlier than last year.

Now that is just

20-Jul-07
160 days gives you a better range. Unless you are lucky enough to witness a fawn hit the ground, the 160 is a better gauge.

20-Jul-07
I don't get it. If the gestation period of a whitetail is 200 days, then why use 160?

20-Jul-07
Because the first 4 weeks or so of it's life, you'll be lucky to even see a newborn fawn....oh that would be 172 days....

20-Jul-07
Guys-please study biology. . .not all the fawns are conceived or born at the same time. Does are bred throughout the fall with spike estrous times primarily in Oct., Nov., and December (all peaks are 28 days apart). With Nov. being the key peak when most does are bred. Peak simply means the center of the bell-shaped curve which can vary over a week or so. It is just not biologic science to suggest that the cycle changes that dramatically from year to year. It is the same time-same story every year. We may observe various behaviors (due to weather or being at the "right place") or even try to judge by fawns (very unscientific) but extensive biological studies have been done and confirm the summary I gave you. One of the best studies was done in Texas- look it up on a search.

In a given area- in fact fairly consistent across many places throughout the midwest- the peak of November rut occurs the same time EVERY YEAR.

Why do we go through this year after year. The moon affects hunting and activity but has little measurable affect on when does come into estrous. Be it 90 degrees or freezing- KS whitetails will be peaking around Nov 13-15 give or take 5 days.

As far as hunting- I do not like hunting the peak- early in Nov and late are far better for big bucks.

my 2c Dan

20-Jul-07
For those who don't know, using KY as the example as my close friend who owns one of the largest herds of whitetail deer in the U.S. substantiates a doe will come into heat as early as Sept. and cycle each month as late as March. So there are seven heat cycles. His bucks will still be in hard rack until March in some cases.

So, regardless of my gauge of using 160 days, the main rut that most of the whitetail hunters choose to hunt is approximately 14-21 days. Not to mention the does that come into heat before the main rut and those does which weren't bred will cycle at least once again, or until bred. Jackie can almost count on the majority of his does to come into heat right around November 10. That date has held true for past 30 years he's been raising whitetail deer.

So if ya' like 200, use it, use 300 if you want.

I'll stick to 160 and be closer than the most...

20-Jul-07
very good tradtech- you have seen the real biologic data at work

21-Jul-07
Wait a minoozle! There are different phases for the moon?

You are jiving me, right? Willard Neslon wrote Phases and Phrases, Circles and Cycles but that was about smoking pot, loose women and Harley Davidsons. Now you are trying to say the moon changes things?

I'm going to start golfing. Hunting is just getting too complicated for me. What happened to just go kill something?

21-Jul-07
Kill something?

Well, that's the idea.

I want to shoot a big old whitetail buck and am trying to figure the best time to do it. And here in Upstate NY, the peak of the rut changes by as much as three weeks.

IF you pick one week, its dead out there, the bucks are in their resting phase or phrase or whatever you want to call it. Some call it "The Lull." Do you want to take a week off of work to hunt deer in the lull?

I am not a trained biologist, but I have read about photoperiodism. That's science. I think we all agree on that, even old curmudgeons :-)

Okay, there is a "lag time" when we see fawns (because we don't see them pop out,) but we do see the little rascals curled up, about the size of a loaf of bread. Figure that, subtracting from 200, by the size of the fawn. And that is a good point.

But what I can't get over - or get past - or through my thick head is the changing of the calendar. We talk of "the time of the rut happening the same time every year.... or words to that effect."

But how is that possible because deer don't read our calendars? And our "dates" occur (like Christmas,) on astronomically different positions of the moon.

Our calendar, "the Gregorian" is an artifical mechanism and doesn't match up too well with the timing of the seasons. We may say, "We have an early winter, but in fact, - it is in part because our calendar is "off" sometimes by as much as three weeks.

Why is it so hard to believe that the moon is the timing mechanism for nature? Seems to work pretty well. We are all here - every last one of us, absolute livin', breathin' proof that the 28-day cycle worked. And now we are trying to figure out the 28-day deer cycle. And that is the same time as the moon cycle. 28 days.

If we had a different calendar, the rut would occur at the same time every year.

Golf. Golf! "Take up golf." Might as well just get in a hot tub filled with Roundup. Ever talk to a greenskeeper about the herbicides they use to keep the wild out and them greens so flat and pretty?

21-Jul-07
Buckstopshere...take the advise above. Study biology.

Our calendar doesn't change but by a small fraction of a year (think leap year, leap seconds, etc)

That is why June 21 and Dec 21 are always extremely close to being the longest and shortest days of the year.

The facts are stated above: bell curve, multiple breeding peaks through the fall with the top of the curve being during the 2nd week of November. It's always this way. Read about fetus measurements and such.

Factors such as sex ratio and latitude elongate the curve. The farther south you travel the weaker the bell curve; the farther north you go, it’s much more compact.

Weather and visible lunar light greatly effect daytime movement during this same period. And I believe this is where the misconception of the "rut was late/early" type arguments and resultant theoretical systems come from.

It’s no big deal to me, but science contradicts the wild swings (as laid out on our solar calendar) that moon based, rut calendars predict. It’s a gimmick.

Bill in MI

21-Jul-07
with our current knowledge of the rut taking into consideration the the length of daylight receding,and also the light of the moon.{I.E The Full moon-new moon period in late Oct/early Nov.}We would have to have our heads buried in the sand so to speak as to say the Moon has nothing to do with the Rut or the estrus period of the doe's.One and the same.Am I a believer in the Lord's lesser light? You can bet your Sweet Bippy on that one!!!!

21-Jul-07
So Polar, are there scientific studies that corroborate your findings?

Has anyone, EVER, correlated conception dates that back up the variances associated with a moon based rut?

If there were, moon calendar and similar companies would be screaming about the data. Instead they only can go on conjecture.

If they had independent biological data to support their products they sure would tell us, but they don't.

The absence of that information in their advertising should tell you something.

It is a lot easer to market and sell your product when what you claim cannot be substantiated or truly disproved.

Lastly, it’s interesting to read how one moon calendar disagrees what another moon based system predicts where as biologists across the county agree with photoperiodism being the driving force behind breeding dates.

Bill in MI

21-Jul-07
Ditto Bill in MI- By the way, though now in KS, that is where I grew up studying the deer herd and biology in college.

ALL- check out the Texas study of fetus development. Also note my post- of course there is some variation in a few days one way or the other.

The "three weeks" that is being referred to is probably Oct. estrous followed by the 28 days as posted. This is how it works: These does come into estrous every 28 days starting as early as september. If they are not bred they cycle again. I think what some are referring to (and I hear the confusion every year) is the Oct. estrous which is a fast a furious flurry that really gets things going for November. (Hunters typically get real excited when they see some activity of this late Oct. estrous and start yelling "The rut has started.") After that few days in late October things seem to die off rather quickly (the "lull"). If it is really warm- the lull seems like a hopeless time to hunt-don't worry. When you see/hear of all things breaking loose in October- relax, relax. Ask some questions, look for car/deer accidents, talk to farmers, and figure out where you think the 'peak' of that Oct. estrous was (probably somewhere around the 18-25th)- plot out 28 days on your calender- and you got the peak of Nov. estrous. I determine this every year via observation and spotlighting at night. I can guarantee you it is the same (give or take a few days) every year. Now how to hunt it is another thing- as stated- the peak is not the key time to hunt for me.

Also, the reason the moon thing is suspect is this entire 28 day cycle process starts in September- so the moon in November has NOTHING to do with the 28 day cycle. On the other hand- does the moon (or weather conditions) affect deer activity? I have no doubt- but I don't plan on it- When it is time to hunt, and if you can- stay in the woods all day!

Good luck Dan

21-Jul-07
Listen{read},and learn.My knowledge of this phenomena is from in-field observation.Does the weather play into the Rut;certainly.I'm only reporting what I've observed over the last 17 seasons of rut timing.Some have been intense,some have trickled out but the full moon in Late Oct./Early Nov.is the trigger to this time period.Personal Observation carefully scrutinized is the best teacher.

21-Jul-07
Agreeing to disagree, but thats okay!

My personal experience (one perspecive mind you and for about the same amount of time as Buckstopshere)backs up what wildlife bioligists say.

Good hunting and I think we can all agree its pretty good hunting around Novemeber ;^)

Bill in MI

22-Jul-07
Biology?

Study biology?

Oh, if you mean fetal studies, which one do you mean? I am only familiar with a few: Hamilton, Tobin and Moore in S.C.; Cheatum and Morton, here in New York and Armstrong's studies here in New York; There is one in Michigan too, a Short. But I am not familiar with any Texas studies published in the JWM, though I am sure there have been if you say so (Journal of Wildlife Management.) I've been reading about whitetails and other critters in the JWM since 1977.

What is the name of the Texas study, so I can read it?

But I am not a scientist though I try to use the scientific method, and try to discern the difference between Correlation and Cause-and-Effect. And just because someone is a wildlife biologist, I don't believe everything they say. I listen as best I can. But they disagree amongst themselves. So who am I or you for that matter to believe?

Now fetal studies: There has to be a base to measure. That involves taking fetuses out of live does that were conceived at a known date and measured. Course that gets sticky because there are 15 strains of whitetails and they are different sizes, like between the big northern strain and the little-bodied Texas whitetail.

But the main problem is that the sample size in these fetus studies is tiny because it is expensive and difficult to get a base to become statistically significant. (These studies are based on only 20 to 60 fetuses, each!.)

And - even among humans, there is a big difference between the size so a fetus. Sometimes, twice as much, even though conceived on the same date. A 12-pound baby and a six-pound baby are not uncommon. With whitetails, the twin fawns are conceived at the same time, but often vary considerably in size.

Fetuses develop differently, depending upong the spring and winter and food source. So a late winter will retard the growth of the fetus while an "early spring" will accelerate the size - so comparisons of size (rump to crown) are skewed from year to year - sometimes.

Fetus studies seem to work pretty well within a strain of deer, but not so well when we try to interpolate and jump to another region - so a Texas study is not going to tell me when the rut is here in New York and the other way around, no matter how interesting it may be.

The three New York studies, referenced above all disagree, when compared to each other, by almost two weeks. I need a better, more scientific tool to pinpoint the rut. Again, which biologist am I to believe?

I like the rut (those few days when the deer go crazy.) It's a fun (and frustrating!) time to be in the woods with my bow. I've killed a lot more bucks just before the rut, than during those few days. But figuring the timing of the rut fascinates me.

22-Jul-07
I'm no expert, but I have been keeping hunting season notebooks for about 17 years and cannot find any hard evidence that these moon guides are worth paying any attention to. What bothers me is the implication is that there are times you should, and SHOULDN'T be in the woods during the rut. I've even seen them advertised as telling us the best times to be in the woods and the times when it's best to stay home. Anything that leads hunters to believe there is a bad time to be in the woods during the last few days of October through Thanksgiving is not good advice.

22-Jul-07
Bill:

Did you know that there are six principal calendars in current use around the world today?

Not only the one we use, the Gregorian; but the Hebrew, Islamic, Indian, Chinese, and Julian Calendars. They are different and all work. Each calendar's based on a different astronomical cycle.

The main astronomical cycles are the day (based on the rotation of the Earth), the year (based on the revolution of the Earth around the Sun), and the month (based on the Moon going around the Earth).

The good old Gregorian calendar in use around the world is a solar calendar. A lunar calendar bases each month on a full cycle of the Moon's phases (called a lunation - synodic month).

Lunar calendars usually start each month with a New Moon.

The solar year does not contain a whole number of days or a whole number of lunar months.

To compensate for this effect, some calendars (called lunisolar calendars) have to fine tune for years and months. Without such an adjustment the seasons will drift through the months. Man has continually tried to build a more reliable lunisolar calendar, with the least amount of manual adjustment - like Leap Year, etc.

If we used a lunar calendar, maybe the rut would be at the same time every year because it isn't the same time every year on our good old Gregorian calendar. That's my point.

The timing of the two solstices and the two equinoxes shift each year as much as a day (i.e. Dec. 21 and Dec. 22.)

22-Jul-07
NJ Bowhunter: I have found that hunting in one spot too much stinks up the stand site and alerts the deer to my presence (entrance and exit too.) If I know when the rut is going to be, I can hone in on the pre-rut and leave my early season food-pattern stands, watch the perrenial scrape sites etc.

Successful bowhunting and stand site selectionn involves a matter of timing to me. I hunt all season, but it is a matter of HOW to hunt, focusing on different patterns.

And too many years I've said to myself, after reading deer sign, "Darn! I missed it. If I only had known! This is where I should have put my stand!"

Reading whitetail sign usually tells us what has passed, if we are lucky, what is going on.

We need a better tool to predict where and how to set up, ahead of the game.

22-Jul-07
Just for reiteration, I said:

"It’s no big deal to me, but science contradicts the wild swings (as laid out on our solar calendar) that moon based, rut calendars predict."

I hear what you've said and you make a good point. Your familiarity with what I just touched on is impressive.

Yet...I have never seen biological data that supports the significant year to year variations in the proposed peak breeding times as promoted by moon based breeding calendars. That is the crux of my argument.

Does that data exit? If so please enlighten me. I am not above being wrong, actually I'm quite used to it, just ask my wife ;^)

Bill in MI

22-Jul-07
buckstop-it was in the Journal of Wildlife Management and it studied over 330 adult does- fairly good sample. Any of us could be wrong, not a problem with me either. I appreciate guys discussing this stuff. I am not trying to predict "the day."(even the south Texas study won't necessarily help me with that in KS). This is nature- it is not that precise. I (and it seems like others here) are simply stating that the peak estrous times fall consistently (within a few days) from year to year in given areas. We also are suggesting that does cycle every 28 days with the first estrous typically beginning in September (that is biology-study of the bios. "Study" does not mean "final-definitive answer.").

I still can't see how a 28 day cycle can be changed by a November moon. Further, I am very skeptical when I hear field observations of hunters who say the "rut" (whatever they mean by that) changes from one year to the next by as much as three weeks.

There is no doubt- with the 28 day cycles- that some does are bred in Oct. while the bulk are bred in Nov. Further, with various does coming into estrous at various times in a given week period, and gestation periods varying by a vew days one way or the other- I find it incredibly difficult to suggest that we can take hunter "field" observations of fawns in the spring and determine when things occurred.

Appreciate the discussion- Dan

22-Jul-07
One thing is for sure, you won't kill a deer if you aren't in the woods. I know guys that won't hunt during the full moon and others that won't hunt in the rain. None of them has killed any deer while sitting in their recliner. Also, even if the odds aren't in your favor according to your beliefs, you can still kill a deer if you are in the right place at the right time. One thing that has helped me through the years is believing I am going to kill a deer every time I climb into a stand. If you don't have the right outlook on hunting it will absolutely hurt you. If you aren't ready, and paying attention, you can easily miss the opportunity of a life time. I learned this from fishing, many years ago. I always thought I would catch the fish on the next cast and was always ready to set the hook. Call it a sixth sense or just experience but I often could tell my wife seconds before a sea trout or flounder would bite. She said it wasn't fair that I had that advantage. It is probably your brain, storing years of experience and knowing that conditions were just right that tips you off.

22-Jul-07
Shuteye: That's spiritual, or close to it. And I don't know much about that stuff, though I like to believe in it. There is a lot more to hunting than our little pea brains can tell us.

But this predatory brain that I have (and you guys too) is always trying to "figure things out." I believe that confidence is all important in making the shot. And intuition or 'the hunting instinct" or whatever you want to call it may put us in the right place at the right time, even better than all the science and "figuring."

Thanks guys for the good discussion on this - heck it's July! Still a few months away!

23-Jul-07
Bill: I think our wives have the same opinion of us ;-)

One of the problems that I find is that there are "dueling" Moon breeding charts. For one thing, there are (what I call) the "position guys" and the "phase guys."

"Position guys" think that the moon has some mysterious pull or gravitation and effects the movement on deer like the tides. I don't know about that because I do not know or have not been shown any mechanism, either biochemical or hormonal that the moon and its effects can "get a hold of." Where are the receptors? How does it work? That is a mystery to me, but the Solar-Lunar calendars are very popular and run in all kinds of magazines and a lot of guys swear by them. But those moon predictions are opaque to me.

"Phase guys" basically put their faith in photoperiodism and the lessening light and its effect on animals like sheep and deer - short-day-breeders. As I understand it, the lessening light is recorded through the eye and effects a gland in the deer's brain. The gland secretes a number of hormones including melatonin. Melatonin represses the sex hormones in Short-day breeders. Fascinating studies have been done on blind deer and sheep in artifical days.

Such as, an English study was done on sheep. What if sheep could have two lambs a year, instead of just one! Keep them in an artifical light and give them only 12 hour days (six hours of daylight and six hours of dark.) This will cause the ewes to cycle twice. And it worked. Only problem was that it burnt the ewes up, trying to make two lambs in one year without the recovery time.

There are a lot conflicting moon charts out there, guys just trying to come up with a "better mouse trap."

23-Jul-07
The King's calendars used to have rating system that assigned days with better daytime activity. Dr. Grant Woods had developed a moon position based activity predictor he called it the DAI (daytime activity index)

The hype, as listed in the front of the yearly calendar, sighted multiple hundreds of hours of data that validated his findings and subsequent prognostications.

After 4 or 5 years he made a retraction and claimed to have found too many holes in this theory. After this he pulled his name from the calendar and would not contribute any longer to that particular cause.

I really subscribed to his theories and when he pulled out it shook my belief in related moon based systems.

There could have been other reasons to his separation from that business, but it was interesting to me that he thought enough about his reputation to pull out and lose any further royalties.

Since then, I've thrown out the baby in the bathwater as it were. Again it's an interesting discussion! Thx for the info.

Bill in MI

23-Jul-07

Bill in MI's Link
I found an old bowsite link with the info before he quit the calendar.

Click the above...

Bill in MI

24-Jul-07
Thanks for the link. Woods' DAI chart appears to be based on position, instead of light, at least that's what I get from the article. In all fairness to Woods' science, we should get it "from the horses's mouth." Woods himself.

Winard, in his article seems to merge "position" and "phase" and that is precisely the line of demarcation between one school of "moon watchers" and the other. I like to think of it as somehow, "gravity or pull guys" vs. the other school "light guys."

The fascinating subject of photoperiodism and circadian cycles leads me to the inevitable contemplation of time. And science has taught us that certain species have receptors "hard-wired" into their brains that act as a timing switch. The key is that since they are of the same species, they have the same code numbers on their "switches," in their genes and cells. That way, they can synchronize.

Like walking through the front doors at the local grocery store. They "automatically" open.

Sensors beyond ours pick up the change in the light. Same with the pineal gland in the whitetails' brain. But it needs a timing mechanism, and I think it is the moon.

Moon beams fine-tune photoperiodic synchronicity.

Now that I know when it is going to happen in my neck of the woods, I have to get my stands set up - WHERE, it is going to happen.

When "it" happens here in Western New York, it seems that a group of bucks will chase a few does into a group. And there may be one or two big bucks there. And all they do is mill around, with the little guys out on the edges of the group. I've seen a number of time, eight or so bucks in a group, and maybe a half dozen or more does at the peak of the rut. But they are in one group, and they stay together and move together for a short period of time. Bucks come out of the woodwork at these times. Bucks I have never seen and will never see again.

The high point of the rut is either "feast or famine" out there. Either you are in the action, or it is dead. And like I said before, I have killed a lot more bucks just prior to the rut. But I see my best bucks of the year during the rut - maybe because it pulls them out of their nocturnal ways, and out of their hideouts.

I'm pretty confident about "when," but I am not sure about "where." There has to be a pattern to that too.

24-Jul-07
Don't forget that estrous cycles and antler development are based on changes in daylight and has nothing to do with the moon.

Where the moon comes into play during the rut and throughout the fall is how much it affects doe feeding activity. If the does are on their feet eating during the rut, bucks will be on their feet as well following the does. Just because people don't see deer out in the open during daylight hours doesn't mean the rut is "slow". Actual peak breeding is a typically slow period because the does will bed up and seak sanctuaries during and after being breed. This is when you can catch a buck looking for another doe late in the morning or early afternoon. It's the pre rut, where there's a lot of yearling and 2 year old bucks chasing does, typically the last week of October and first week of November when guys say, "the rut is on." But this is the beginnig of the chase phase.

24-Jul-07
buckstopper wrote..."NJ Bowhunter: I have found that hunting in one spot too much stinks up the stand site and alerts the deer to my presence (entrance and exit too.) If I know when the rut is going to be, I can hone in on the pre-rut and leave my early season food-pattern stands, watch the perrenial scrape sites etc."

I completely agree and don't over hunt stands either. I have some spots I use for early season (food sources and to kill an EAB doe), some that are good for the last week of October and first few days of November (rub lines, and somewhat close to buck bedding areas to catch that pre-rut movement) and others that I use during the crazy time, usually the middle few weeks (Veterans Day to the 20th or so) of November (stands between doe group bedding areas or secluded food sources). I always have more stands than I have time to use them, so overhunting a single spot usually isn't a problem. :~)

I just think it's always a good time to be in the woods, especially so from October 20th to Thanksgiving. Get out there every chance you can then, no matter what the moon chart says. ;)

24-Jul-07
Knife2sharp:

Light is light, whether it is bounced off the moon or direct, right?

Moonlight is just a bounce-pass of light off the big old rock up there, from the sun. Moonlight is still sunlight and to the fine-tuned photoperiodic sensitivity of a whitetail, the extra light of the full moon charges up Melatonin, and a squirt of those juices repress breeding in Short-day breeders like deer.

Then, as the moon wanes, when the "dark of the moon" comes on and there is less light, there is less melatonin produced by the pineal gland, and the rut juices ramps up the rut to full blast.

This pattern happens about 28 days prior and 28 days after too. The first we call the pre-rut, the latter, the post-rut. And it ain't no coincidence that those 28 day cycles are a perfect parallel with the moon phases.

But as NJ Bowhunter says, no matter where the moon is,( lord willing and the creek don't rise,) I'll be in the woods. ;-)

31-Jul-07

Bill in MI's Link
Found this study in the news today. (click link)

An intersing perspective on the moons effect on humans.

Can the data be extrapolated to its effect on deer?

Who knows, but I thought the last statement in the article was very interesting.

What do you think?

Bill in MI

01-Aug-07
Buckstopshere, I don't disagree since I'm one of the beleivers when it comes to the moon, but my response was in regards to several older magazine articles that I read. They were able to put bucks in a controlled environment and get them to grow two sets of antlers in one year by adjusting the daylight.

There's also been some recent articles, one last year that says the majority of does comes into their first estrous cycle on October 27th, regardless of when the full moon ocurres. I beleive that one was by James Kroll and was in Outdoor Life or Field and Stream. There was also another article in one of these publications last month, I beleive another Kroll one where they tested movement patterns of mature bucks and couldn't find any moon correlation.

My beleif is that the moon does affect deer movement by the ammount of light it gives off during its cycles, but it's not gravitational. Meaning, it has more effect when there are long periods of clear days and nights and cloud cover, or lack there of, is a key factor. Which is why weather trumps the moon.

02-Aug-07
Bill: That article "Full Moon Study Debunks Full Moon Injury Beliefs," is interesting - in that it explores current notions about the moon that have followed us up through pre-history, to historical times and these scientific-myth intoxicated times.

I like some of the wording the author of the piece used when describing the "ghost in the machine;" especially: "no link," "unfavorably effect," "influence," - and my favorite "possible interplay." Also, "affects (emphasis on not effects, as above.)

For an article about science, it sure doesn't appear to be too scientific.

To me science is the study and observation and measurement of cause and effect.

Many studies of photoperiodism measure direct cause and effect of light on animal breeding behavior.

Cases of people remembering or not remembering is not science, that the astronomer cited.

A rigorous measurement of the rutting behavior of shortday breeders like whitetails has nothing to do with "people remembering," this or that or what they saw in the National Inquirer, or what they feel to be true or believe.

They used to think the moon was made out of green cheese and werewolves and vampires and all sorts of stuff. And some people still may. Like they say, "If I hadn't of believed it, I wouldn't have seen it."

Knife2sharp: I don't know about weather categorically trumping the moon. I have seen bucks chase does in 80 F. (here in New York and Pa.) with their tongues hanging out and chests heaving when the moon was right.

And contrary, with a hard freeze and snow in early November, bucks are placidly feeding as if breeding was not even on the agenda.

But generally, 10 days after the second full moon after the Autumn Equinox - and there is a cold snap - that's when I want to be on stand, in my neck of the woods!

02-Aug-07
My records show that rut activity, sighting of bucks during daylight etc. depends a lot on of course the rut itself but the daylight temperatures.

I believe the temperature plays a huge role in when the deer move during historical Rut times. Yes I have seen exceptions but overall this has been the case. What would you do if you had on a coat and it was 80F outside?

This has been my observation. Many factors will spoil this observation like buck competition, number of choices of does in heat, etc. You can bet if it is the first doe to come into heat in an area, it can be 100F and bucks will run and fight.

Secondly. I believe dominant and other mature Does come into estrus first. I have watched groups of does around a well used scrape act plum silly, jumping, chasing each other. There is always one of them coming into heat or is there! When you see this get ready for that day and the next few.

With does being very group oriented, I believe when one comes in it very well may emotionally, chemically, and physically promote other does in the group to come into estrust.

Not a scientist but just what I have seen. But you throw in higher than normal temperatures along with wind and the deer will shut down. For the moon, I have had very good success in the rut during full, quarter, no moon, all of them. Just depends.

It would be an interesting study to compile a load of log information from 1000 avid deer hunters for a few years. It has probably been done.

03-Aug-07
It would be a very interesting study!

But some lines would become evident, in geographical areas because the different strains of whitetails rut at different times.

For instance, the earliest breeders, I think are the Florida deer - some are in rut right now, in July and August! Down on the Mississippi delta, some breed in September. In East Texas, it appears the rut is generally early November like here in New York state, while others in Texas in the south find the peak of the rut in December. And in Mexico, it's even later - like January! (Must be confusing to hunt the rut in Texas, not understanding the different strains of deer there.)

A good, way to check the timing of the rut is through the rut posts here on the Bowsite. It gives a good running snapshot in real time of what's happening in the different areas of the country.

Like last year, I think a lot of guys realized that the first week of November is not always the peak of the rut in the Northeast and the Midwest because it was dead out there last year, from the Mississippi to the Atlantic.

There was virtually no rut activity reported in that first week. But by mid-November, things were popping!

The moon's effect on photoperiodism and the timing of the breeding of whitetails' still is evident, even though the peak changes by months in different regions of the country.

And that's great because deer hunters can travel to different states and keep hitting the peak of the rut (i.e. if they know when it is.) :-)

03-Aug-07
I am sorry if I missed it but frankly the reading got a little tedious.

Why has NO ONE mentioned the Alshiemer and Laroche study on the rut and moon? There is nothing in these posts that contradict it. Some are spewing intelligence like sweat on an Aug day picking up hay; I have a sneaky feeling that this intelligence was obtained from their studies. They have been studing this SCIENTIFICALLY for what 15 years now?

The main point is this (and I pharaprase from Alshiemer and Laroche to avoid hipocracy); the rut is a marathon not a sprint, deer move less when temps are above average, big bucks move less the more does there are, big bucks move less the more hunting pressure there is, and the moon triggers the estrous cycles of does.

04-Aug-07
Two books, including Charlie Alsheimer's "Hunting Whitetails by the Moon" (1997)) and Dr. James Kroll's "Solving the Mysteries of Deer Movement" (1996) are excellent and I think every serious deer hunter should read them, but they may be a tedious because for some, reading science is tedious.

However, if I may take the liberty to say so, the authors would be the first to admit that their books are not the final and last word on rut prognostications.

For instance, in the last few years science has discovered "clock genes." Neither book mentions new breakthroughs in gene research.

And their charts predicting the timing of the rut through the years, do not agree.

What they have done is opened doors for a deeper undestanding for those of us who don't think we know everything about that ubiquitous animal that holds so much fascination and mystery, the whitetail.

04-Aug-07
I don't think the moon phase as anything to do with the rut. It may effect deer movement. I normally don't like to hunt the full moon except if the rut is going on. Several of my best animals have been taken on the full moon, but in each case the rut was going on. Another exception is weather conditions. If a strong cold front comes throught with lots (24+ hrs) of strong wind (30+mph), then as soon as the wind drops below 20, I want to be in the woods, regardless of moon phase. I know these wind conditions would be different in the mid-west where the wind is blowing much more than in the south, where I do most of my hunting. I think weather conditions effect movement more than moon phase. Warm weather results in very little movement. Warm weather and full moon, no movement. Shoot sharp - shoot straight! DD

04-Aug-07
To me the "RUT" is when a larger than normal portion of the Does come into estrus in a short time, in a given area, and the bucks are trying to breed all of them they can by travel and competition.

It seems where I have been hunting the last two years it is not the "switch" like it has been prior. Seems to be maybe strung out a longer period of time. Maybe that is because of the buck to doe ratio being too out of whack. And it has been hot.

All I claim is what my experience shows and what I have noticed and recorded. My conclcusion personally is, if there is rut activity, no matter what phase the moon may be, I want to be out there early, late, and maybe all day depending on temps.

But this is always a good discussion and a good talk. When we keep it civil, like we are, we may all learn something from one another. (Bowsite is just better than the others for discussions)

Consider keeping your sightings and activity log this season and lets do this thread again after January.

• Sitka Gear