HighLife 22-Dec-09
Steve H. 22-Dec-09
Steve H. 22-Dec-09
daxmorgan 22-Dec-09
bb 23-Dec-09
Owl 23-Dec-09
Owl 23-Dec-09
08-May-07
I had been waiting on a info package from Ken and hadn't heard from him in over a week. Email back and Cindy wrote back saying he was in the hospital after a run-in with a boar. Don't have any other details. Here's to healing quick. Steve

08-May-07
Boar as in feral hog? or Boar as in Warthog or Bushpig? Get well Ken!

09-May-07
Curiously, I saw a Ken Moody topic in the community forum & it has ben closed for some reason. Regardless, best wishes to Ken.

>>>>>--------------->

09-May-07
Ouch, get well soon Ken.

09-May-07
Ken really needs to start paying attention! (seriously, I hope he is OK, I kinda like that old boy)

09-May-07
Pic's ?? ......Just kidding...hope he's well soon....jeff

09-May-07
Mess around with the poor mans grizzly long enough and you will get got!

09-May-07
I just now got off the phone with Johnny Thompson.

Here are the details. BTW Ken is recovering.

Ken had Mike Wadell, Burley Thompson and G-5 in to cut some footage.

For those of us who have hunted Clarkrange, the incident took place in Pennicuff.

Long story short, Ken was attempting to keep a white and black spotted 265 lb. boar from knocking the life out of Burley. The hog got Ken down and proceeded to cut and break Kens leg in several places. Johnny said the hog layed into Ken and cut his leg about 5" in length and about 2 1/2" deep. That was the beginning. The hog as well broke Kens leg below the knee in 3 places.

Ken radio'd Johnny telling him that the hog had him down in Pennicuff and that he needed help in a hurry. Johnny called 911 and headed to Pennicuff in the truck. By the time Johnny arrived the hog had moved off and was later killed near the Miller field.

By the time Johnny had Ken out of the woods, Ken had gone unconscious, the ambulance had arrived and rushed Ken to the hospital.

After allowing the leg to drain for 2 days they then were able to complete repairing his leg.

Side note: Johnny said that that particular hog had Wadell in 7 different trees before the end of it all.

Johnny's phone was breaking up and I was unable to hear exactly who did kill the hog.

So should anyone doubt the tennacity of a very aggrevated boar hog, you should think twice. I for one know what the knock down power of a large boar is. It's not something to laugh about. It's a seriously dangerous situation that can end in disaster as it did with Ken.

Wish Ken a speedy recovery. You thoughts and concerns and prayer, will be much appreciated.

09-May-07
Sorry to hear about Ken. Had a great time at MHHX, and I know what you mean by a BIG mean boar!! Nothing to joke about there. Get well and take care Ken, our thoughts and prayers are with you out here in Kali! Look forward to seeing you next year at MHH...Take care.

09-May-07
Is that the Realtree Mike?? Damn I will keep Ken in my prayers...what a story, Glad he is alright!!!

09-May-07
I wish Ken well. From what Tradtech wrote, it looks like it could have been much worse. Get well soon.

10-May-07
I wish you a speedy recovery Ken. Hang in there.

And if you have a chance, say "hello" to the good folks who staff the emergency room in Crossville for me. ;-)

10-May-07
"So should anyone doubt the tennacity of a very aggrevated boar hog, you should think twice. I for one know what the knock down power of a large boar is. It's not something to laugh about. It's a seriously dangerous situation that can end in disaster as it did with Ken." I have a fried who is a huge powerlifter who went with me hog hunting 2 years ago. He got thrown around by a 200 lb boar like a rag doll. These animals are pissed off on a good day. I love to hunt them and have been hit and treed many times and keep going back and so will Ken. Once it is in your blood you cant stop. Get well soon Ken.

10-May-07
WOW!!! Glad to hear he's ok.

Did Real Tree get the hunt in video?

10-May-07
"Holy Cr&&p! All that time in Africa and he gets gored by a boar in his back yard."

-Mega Dittos Pat!

Best of luck on a speedy recovery Ken.

10-May-07
Speedy recovery Ken...in our thoughts and prayers for sure.

10-May-07
If there's a video of that hunt, Ken wil gladly sell us a copy ! 8>)

Get well soon, Ken !

10-May-07
Maybe I missed the answer, but was this a warthog, feral hog or bush pig? Bill

10-May-07
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

10-May-07
I THINK that it was from his hunting preserve,CLARK RANGE, located in tennessee. that would make it a wild boar. i have killed about a dozen boars w/ my bow in tennessee and have only seen a few cases of boars charging humans while being hunted. im not sure if he slipped or was just surprised by the boar. while i have nto hunted at clark range-imo-boars are not that much harder to kill than that of a deer. a shot behind the shoulder w/ a sharp boradhead will end it quick.

10-May-07
We'll be pray'n for Ya Brother!!

I had the same thing happen to me and a few of my Bowhunters the other day; no one ended up in the hospital though--just a dislocated thumb and a very bruised ego.

God Bless Ya & hope you get back on your feet real soon Buddy.

Jim Titchenell OUT!!

10-May-07
A quick correction...

"Ken had Mike Wadell, Burley Thompson and G-5 in to cut some footage."

That would be Burley Hall, not Thompson.

Typo on my part. Sorry Burley, Johnny Thompson contacted me today and enlightened me on my typo.

10-May-07
"while i have nto hunted at clark range-imo-boars are not that much harder to kill than that of a deer. a shot behind the shoulder w/ a sharp boradhead will end it quick."

I've hunted TN wild boar for the past 10 years and I've hunted Clarkrange half of that. With as many bowhunters who have attend the MHH hunts each year, I've personally witnessed near 100 wild boar bow kills and have killed 15 or so myself.

I've seen and had many one shot kills. I've also seen and had several boars that have taken multiple shots in the boiler room and have acted totally un-effected.

When a large boar is bayed several times in a relatively short period of time, running hard between bays, you'd be surprised how much a pumped up boar can endure after a lethal shot(s).

"have only seen a few cases of boars charging humans while being hunted."

Understanding how a boar will react while bayed should put you on alert as you move in for the shot. It's not uncommon for a bayed hog to break bay, locate and single out every human that is in the immediate location of the bay putting every one up a tree, trying knock you off your feet, or out of the tree to roll you like a bag of paper.

Boar hogs are unpredictable when they are "backed up against the wall" so to speak. No doubt it certainly adds to the overall excitement during the moment, but can turn into a bad situation quickly.

Ken has had many close calls, hits, and close misses over the years. I'd say it'd be a stretch of the expression to say, "just another day at the office", as I think he may be forced to spend several more days in the office than he would like to while he recovers.

11-May-07
"while i have nto hunted at clark range-imo-boars are not that much harder to kill than that of a deer. a shot behind the shoulder w/ a sharp boradhead will end it quick."

Boars are generally tougher than deer, and they become damned near bionic when their adrenaline is raised by a pack of hounds. I have had the one shot kills, but I have also shot pigs through both lungs that took a minute to go down, and then got back up and fought the dogs for another minute and had to be shot again.

11-May-07
Thanks for all the positive emails. I appreciate it. Yes, I was attacked and hospitalized by a boar on 1 May. It was not a pleasant experience. Roger has most of the story correct. We were making a new DVD and I was taking Burley Hall into Pennycuff Ford (a specific area at the lodge) and the incident occurred. We had already chased this boar for over an hour and he had already once chased me around a few trees before escaping. When we finally got him into Pennycuff I told Burley to stay close and we would kill this hog. Well, as soon as we approached and were seen by the hog, he charged going past me and hitting Burley who fell into a brushpile. The boar was trying to get on top of Burley who kept him away by kicking at him. I was right there and kept telling Burley to get up as I feared he might be gutted or have his throat cut while on the ground. My yelling at Burley brought the hog to me. He charge and hit him in the right knee driving his tusk into the joint and ripping down towards the calf. I turned to run and he flipped me over and started again. As I got up he hit me in the back of my left thigh making a deep, painful cut and also cut me across the left shin. I also rec'd a bite in my chest. The hog was unrelenting and came again. I couldn't stand up anymore and as he charged I grabbed his right ear with both hands and screamed for help. My dogs grabbed the hog on the flanks and I held onto his ear but had no strength at this point. I was screaming again for someone to help me but no one knew what to do. Finally, I yelled at a guy who grabbed the hog by the tail and with that and me holding the ear Burley was able to put two arrows into the hog at point blank which killed him. I then called Johnny on the radio who called an ambulance and got me out of there even though I passed out enroute. Once in the hospital I was taken to surgery where the wounds were cleaned and allowed to drain. The following evening I was returned to surgery to have the wounds stapled and stitched and to have my knee scoped and repaired. I have three broken bones in my right knee with some floating bone chips. I stayed in the hospital until Saturday and once home suffered until Wednesday when I finally starting feeling better. I can walk with a walker or crutches but fear I may be hobbled for quite some time. I am getting better though.

Ken Moody

11-May-07
Ken- We're glad to hear you're feeling better. You were very lucky indeed. You sure haven't encouraged me to want to go track any wounded hogs tonight though! Matt and I will pray for a rapid and full recovery for you. Please keep us all updated on your progress.

-Matt and Cheryl

11-May-07
So, did you get any good video of the attack?

Sorry, just had to ask. ;)

Take care Ken, heal up quick!

11-May-07
Ken, Glad you are doing better and hope you continue to do so!

11-May-07
Glad to hear you're doing better. Speedy recovery.

11-May-07
Whewwwwww!

Good God all mighty Ken. Talk about painting a picture. Glad you made it through that one.

On a different note...that dog is tearin' up my yard and anything she can get her teeth into!

She's a sweetheart and a great addition to the family.

We love her.

Rog

11-May-07
Glad to hear your on the mend Ken.

11-May-07
Thanks to all. I see that my first post is littered with bad English but I'm still kind of out of it. I talked to Johnny today as we had ten hunters at the lodge and he told me today one dog had to be taken to the vet for 150 staples and one of the clients had his pants ripped from the knee to the crotch by a hog. He himself was treed four times. Must be something in the water around here. BTW, the entire attack which downed me was captured on video for a new DVD we are doing. All the guides that saw the footage just hang their heads. They say it's pretty gruesome. I've not seen it but having experienced it, I'd say it's pretty bad. I really don't know if I want to exploit my misery.

Ken Moody

11-May-07
Bad deal Ken, although as much as you are around those hogs, something was bound to happen.

Glad you're feeling better and our best for a speedy recovery.

11-May-07
Ken Your one lucky guy, the hogs were mean when we were there in March, but nothing like that. We will keep you in our prayers....on thought I don't think it would be exploiting your misery to add the footage to the DVD, a lot of people including myself don't take these hogs serious and your misfortune might save somebody's life!! There is a reason for everything, you are well known around the hunting community and this is what people need to see that even though you have years of experienc with animals that can kill you, especially Africa, it can happen to anyone!!! God Bless, I hope you have a full recovery Dale

12-May-07
Wow! I hope you have a complete recovery.

12-May-07
Is this going to be added to the safety speech??

8^)

Hopefully you aren't hobbled for too long, here is to a speedy recovery

12-May-07
"Must be something in the water around here."

I've often thought the same thing:)

12-May-07
"Must be something in the water around here."

I really don't think the water has anything to do with it...that "high in iron" water stinks so bad the hogs won't drink it, even if it is city water! ;?)

On second thought, maybe they HAVE been drinking it.

QUICK! CAP THAT WELL! IT'S EFFECTING THEIR MINDS!

14-May-07
Ken, Sorry to hear of the lost battle and hope you'll one day be back spreading your cheeryness throughout the lodge. :o)

Did anyone save you some ribs off that bad boy?

14-May-07
How about a photo of the grizzly boar?

Best wishes on a full and speedy recovery Ken!

14-May-07
God bless you on a thorough recovery. That sounds bad and I'm happy worse news wasn't reported. You're fortunate that hog didn't hang an artery or any organs.

14-May-07
Some days you get the bear and some days..........

14-May-07
Way to go camea man and thanks for giving up your body for the CD. Just kidding, probaly happen so fast nobody could think what to do. The adrenaline kept you alive. It caused your mind to race 100 mile per hour so you could take charge of the situation. I think we need to carry a back for situaltions like that. Lesson learned shoot first and holler later. Hope you heal well.

14-May-07
Glad to hear you're on the mend. I've been thinking about going boar hunting down there.

14-May-07
Get well there Ken.

14-May-07
I bet if you showed that footage during your safety briefing, there would be a little less joking...Of course, you'd probably see a curious decline in repeat business too:)

17-May-07
Really glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. Hope the crutches go into the closet real soon!

iowaPete

17-May-07
Wow - What a story!

You hear about how dangerous hogs are but rarely hear about verifiable attacks. Ken, best wishes for a speedy recovery and thank you for sharing the story! Are there any "lessons learned" to pass on?

Again, best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

Dave S.

18-May-07
Wheew! Close call Ken, glad to hear that you are doing better. Ditto on Owl's thought regarding the safety briefing, I couldn't think of a better application for that footage!

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

P.S. Did Burley save you some sausage to go with your eggs the next morning? =^) LOL

19-May-07
Wish the Old man would check in now and again......

02-Jun-07
Saftey Meeting ???????

02-Jun-07
Guys I really appreciate the kind words. I have been lapse in getting back to some of you but I really do appreciate your concern. I have now moved from crutches to cane but after visiting the doctor this past Thursday I am a little concerned. Currently, my right knee will not straighten out and she has concerns about me having a permanent limp if we can't get this rectified. The knee is just locked up. I cannot straighten it out. Getting worried might be a little premature as it's only been a month but I don't like hearing the word limp and permanent associated with me. It still hurts somewhat so I think I just need to heal some more. I am working on stretching it but we will just have to see.

Had I abandoned Burley who was on the ground kicking at this thing I may not have been attacked but I couldn't see running off with him just laying there so I got hammered. I will say that if I had been carrying a handgun this attack never would have happened as I had time to shoot the hog when it was trying to get at Burley. That is the greatest lesson learned. I bought Johnny a .45 Colt, S & W double action revolver and told him to begin carrying it on all hunts just in case. If I can ever walk again, I'll be carrying a .44 Mag on future hunts.

Ken Moody

02-Jun-07
That sounds like a good idea. As soon as I better healed, I'll try it.

Ken Moody

02-Jun-07
Ken-Glad you are up and around. With all this talk about this 1000 lb pig named Fred being shot I was wondering if you have any names for the pig that put you in this shape?

02-Jun-07
First letter of the name would start with F and end in R...

02-Jun-07
speedy recovery ken. you will learn to hate the physical therapist but they are the ones that will help get the range of motion back in the knee if possible.....speedy recovery.

02-Jun-07
Man Ken I don't know ya personally, but what an experience, I hope you're a believer in the good Lord ! I'd have to say he helped you out of a bad situation, just think as bad as it was------it coulda been worse. If he helped you this far he'll see you the rest of the way through, get well soon. Earl

03-Jun-07
Ken, glad to hear you're doing better. I had the same problem with my knee after a snowboard accident...coudn't bend or straighten, they ended up going back in with a scope and cleaning out scar tissue and started me on the bike and range of motion stuff...still can't bend it all the way but no limp. PT (Physical Torture as I like to call it) is your friend...Hope it all works out for you.

04-Jun-07
Mountains and snow in Florida, Bob? Who knew? ;)

Ken,I know you may not be in the mood for "the good news," but you know it could have much, MUCH worse. Good luck with PT.

04-Jun-07
One difference between sand surfing the sand dunes here and snow boarding in the Alps would be the trees :)

Can't wait to hear next years saftey briefing :)

04-Jun-07
does this mean I can bring my 45lc or 41mag next year?? 8^)

for back-up purposes only of course....

Ditto on the bike.... tore the ACL my first or second senior year at college playing rugby... bike work and the dagnabit carpet roll (squeezing it daily) helped a lot...

05-Jun-07
I believe that Ken said Johnny will now carry.

All Ken needs is a bunch of wingnuts carryin guns...That'd be like a bunch of gun hunters carryin bows for back up...

05-Jun-07
I seen the way most of you shoot..... I think I would trust the gun hunters using bows first LOL

13-Jun-07

Ken Moody's embedded Photo
Let's see if this photo comes out...

13-Jun-07

Here's another...

13-Jun-07

And another...

13-Jun-07

Last one. Overall, not a nice experience...

13-Jun-07
I'd like to see ya leg. You don't have to shave it us. lol mike

13-Jun-07
If you look at the last picture you'll have to agree that my leg was not the part of my anatomy I was worried about :^)

Ken Moody

13-Jun-07
I could say wrong end there Ken but I won't. How's your Africa deals going or are you stuck here for while. Mike

13-Jun-07
That last pics just NUTS. LOL

13-Jun-07
Africa is fully booked this year. We have over 50 guys booked in. I just rec'd a report that a client shot a nice kudu bull this morning as a matter of fact. I'm still gimped up but should be in Africa by mid July.

Ken Moody

13-Jun-07
Ken, glad to hear you are recovering well

13-Jun-07
You get that knee problem fix? Mike

13-Jun-07
The knee is slowly coming right. I am walking with just the slightest limp at the moment but it's getter better and stronger every day and I am exercising quite a bit.

Ken Moody

13-Jun-07
Good deal. Mike

13-Jun-07
Ken, Will you be at SCI? I'd buy you a beer just to hear the story again! Cheers, Mike

13-Jun-07
Yes, I will be there...Ken Moody

13-Jun-07
For that last picture you should lose at least 2 stars. Very suggestive pose, you and the boar.

13-Jun-07
Ken, baiting with your own flesh and blood is bad form. Use corn next time. :)

13-Jun-07
At what point did the cameraman throw the camera down and decide to lend a hand?

13-Jun-07
At no point did that occur. After having my knee broken and getting the deep laceration in the thigh I had the boar by the ears and was screaming for help since I was severly hobbled by then but I guess the three guys with me were terrified to the point of inaction. It was intense. Once you see the actual video footage you will agree.

Ken Moody

13-Jun-07
3 guys with you. That's the incredible part of this whole event.

13-Jun-07
Originally I was mad as hell but now I don't hold any malice towards the hog or the bystanders. The hog was fighting for his life and the others were just scared and it all happened pretty fast.

Ken Moody

13-Jun-07
Holy sh** man. It's one thing to read/hear the story, but to get a glimpse puts everything into perspective.

Glad to hear you're improving and you'll be in Africa soon.

17-Jun-07
Who was it that said a dog is man's best friend. As a veterinarian, I have to give the dogs praise for helping. Bystanders probably had a hard time hearing just because of the noise being made alone. Keep up with the physical therapy--it's the key to long term recovery.

18-Jun-07
...And they obviously had a hard time seeing as well.

18-Jun-07
Were the other hunters completely new to killing hogs over dogs? Seems to me a by-stander that has done it a fews times would have had a go at the hog's back legs pretty quickly. Who knows; its easy to Monday morning quarterback these things from a computer screen.

18-Jun-07
Maybe so, but I can't seem to let go the fact that there was at least one person with enough wherewithall to continue filming. I guess that's the part that bothers me.

18-Jun-07
I gotta give Ken some serious praise. He did not let anyone else get hurt in that situation.

A couple years ago I saw one of his guides knock a hog down with his foot that was trying to take a chomp out of one of the MHH Hunters.

I watched very carefully when Hillbilly had my son in tow on his very first hog hunt and was confident that nothing would happen to my boy.

Clarkrange, Ken, and crew are definitely a class act!

21-Dec-09
buzzin it up for some MHH excitement! :-)

21-Dec-09
A boar got Mason Verger too!

21-Dec-09
I was gonna say that incident happened a few years back !! Hope Ken is completely recovered.

21-Dec-09
HOLY CHIT! Get well!!

194 and a wakeup.

21-Dec-09
LOL Bowdad lost a star... wonder what he did back then...

Now he has lotsa stars around him.

21-Dec-09
LOL Jay....it's a funny story how Dad got put on Bowsite probabtion. Shoot me your email and I'll be happy to share it. I wouldn't want to get myself flagged for repeating it ;)

22-Dec-09
DAve, pass that one on to me too! "Bowdad" post was main reason I brought this one "ttt"... just wanted to hear from the old boy one more time :-)

22-Dec-09
Cecil - Email sent

22-Dec-09

LostInTheWoods's embedded Photo
LostInTheWoods's embedded Photo
"If I can ever walk again, I'll be carrying a .44 Mag on future hunts..."

You need to buy yourself a Glock 10MM! That is my favorite side weapon of choice. I work at "The world's largest distributor of Glock aftermarket parts and accessories", buy a Glock Model 20 and send it to me. I will trick it out and set it up for hog hunting! Heck, I will even laser engrave it for you :)

A 10 MM shooting some of Double Tap's 200 gr. Hardcast loads will put down just about anything.

Here's one of my "bear buster" setups. Take care.

22-Dec-09
Darn it Ken! I am a avid hog hunter, but I have never had the pleasure of meeting you, so I hope to share a hunt with you someday. I know recovery is tough and physical rehab is painful, but it is so very important for a good recovery. There is a sign posted on the wall by the physical therapists here where I work that reads; "Sweat in practice so you don't bleed in battle." You have done enough bleeding, so push the rehab hard and hopefully you will be good as new in a month or two! Good luck to you!!!

22-Dec-09
I'd rather have a rock than a Glock. More accurate. IMO

22-Dec-09
"I'd rather have a rock than a Glock. More accurate"

Oh Fuzzy, that's because you have been living UNDERNEATH a rock! LOL. You haven't shot a Glock that we've "tweaked". Also, to each his own. But, it will always go BANG when you pull the trigger...and that's whats important when you have a 265# hog rushing you!

I could go into a huge Glock/non-Glock debate with you, but this is not the place :)

22-Dec-09
:-) thanks, and yeah, I know they can be tweaked, but why? and in what world would you be better off with the 10mm round than the .44 mag for stopping a large, toothy, armored beastie?! ;) believe me, rapid-fire multiple shots are NOT the answer, rather one or two, well-placed and hard-hitting, gets my vote!

22-Dec-09

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo
not that I really NEED a sidearm for puny little pigs! ;-)

22-Dec-09
:) Nice outfit.

22-Dec-09
Ah what the hell....

http://makemesuper.evb-archive.com/r.php?i=2_8c915-124103-m-Dave

22-Dec-09
Fuzzy there's something just not right with that picture. Can't for the life of me put a finger on it LOL

22-Dec-09

Steve H.'s embedded Photo
Steve H.'s embedded Photo
I have hunted brown bears solo 4 times and I now carry a Glcok 20. My "Fuzzy-math" (pun intended, dang I'm funny) shows 15 rounds x 200 gr = 3,000 grains of lead. I can move 15 rounds with adequate accuracy thru my 20 quicker than almost anyone can get a second round off from a .44 revolver. The attached pic has my G-20 on my side.

BTW, I also have a G-32 and that thing is flat out accurate. My goups shrink to crap when I replace the factor barrel with an aftermarket .40 barrel.

But seriously now, does NO ONE care about Mason!

22-Dec-09
BTW, that is a longbow killed bear to keep it archery related. That should read spread like crap.....

22-Dec-09
nice bear steve this is dax morgan in mo how is ev erything in the far north me dad and jodi are still at it down here and we sure miss your rabbit hunt at the quarry happy holidays DAX

23-Dec-09
Geez fuzzy your still wearing those hot pants?

23-Dec-09
Nice to see you have toned down the bouffant, fuzzy.

23-Dec-09
Just clicked the link Dave. That was hilarious. Now you have the Squirrel Sage to get your sandwich back. lol

• Sitka Gear