AZ~Rich 07-Sep-07
RLong 07-Sep-07
mmbowhntr 07-Sep-07
CurveBow 10-Sep-07
NvaGvUp 10-Sep-07
CurveBow 12-Sep-07
HuntinHabit 12-Sep-07
29-Aug-07
Alright!! Finally a live elk hunt and just in time to help fill the two weeks before I leave for CO. 8^)

Glad you got your hunt plans worked out Pat. Pick a spot!!!

Greg

29-Aug-07
Great! As if I wasn't worthless enough right now.....Good luck!!!

29-Aug-07
You will like hunting with Wes. He and his wife Rachelle are good people. My Dad and I hunted Archery Pronghorn with him last year. He showed us some pictures and video of some huge bulls while we were there. Good luck Pat!!!

29-Aug-07
Hey Pat, what are you using for your set-up, on this hunt?

dan

30-Aug-07
Good Luck Pat!

This has got to be your year. Go bring home a big one. Man, now my evenings are gonna be torn between sitting my stands or hovering around my computer waiting for your posts, wondering what happened on your hunt! I love em both!

30-Aug-07
wow- glad to know I'm not the only one with an elk curse- Good luck Pat- this is out year!!!!

30-Aug-07
I'm curious to see where this "north central Colorado" hunt takes place as I;ve spent a lot of time in that area. This will be the first year in over 10 that I am not returning to my normal spot in north central Colorado but maybe I'll get to enjoy some of the scenery anyway.

Herd Bull

30-Aug-07
me too HB - I am going to google up the outfitter

30-Aug-07
Pat is hunting in the hills east of HWY 287 (the road between Ft. Collins and Laramie). Mostly sage brush with some pockets of Ponderosa. There are some huge bulls on the ranch he is hunting. Once he sees the size of the mulies on that place, he'll be back for deer.

30-Aug-07
Good luck Pat! Looking forward to following along. September in the elk woods is pretty much nirvana!

DB

30-Aug-07
Hope this hunt goes better than the last few....Good Luck.....Jeff

30-Aug-07
There are some outstanding bulls on that place, and as Nock noted, some real gagger muleys. It's not really "classic" Colorado elk country - Ponderosas, pinon-juniper stands, sage and bitterbrush. But that area has had extremely limited elk hunting for decades, and has the gene pool and the isolation to produce some whoppers. I've seen 'em.

Gonna be really hot, though. High 80's to low 90's daytime for the next five days. Water tank hunting will probably be very good.

Best of luck, Pat and all!

30-Aug-07
Looks like he will have a great time. Some nice critters on that ranch.

30-Aug-07
I cannot stand this....it's bad enough just knowing other people are elk hunting much less having to watch it! :-) Just kidding...I'll be eagerly awaiting the results.

30-Aug-07
Hey Pat,

That was a big rattler. I've killed lots of them around our house, but none had a rattle that size. To bad prarie rattlesnake season ended 8/15 in Colorado. Or did it?

30-Aug-07
Pat What is it with you and snakes? I'm looking forward to my 5th elk hunt to colorado next year, so I'm going to enjoy following along with you.Another UBC member (Tom S.)is doing a muzzleloader hunt in Co. this year and Ihope he keeps us informed as well.Every year at this time the urge to be in the high country and in the quakies starts to drive me crazy!Best of luck and enjoy. Gene W.

30-Aug-07
Pat, Pat, Paaaaaaaaat!!

Rule number one for elk hunting- you NEVER leave your bow behind to 'go look around'. That's gaurenteed to bite ya.

Greg

30-Aug-07
Killing me, since this is happening just a few miles from my house! I'll be driving past to go to my elk camp tomorrow and will honk and wave.

Good luck Pat, hope you can sluice that big bull!!! Keep your bow with you.

(LOL, this hunt illustrates the fallacy of the theory that hunters need to get way up "high" for early season CO elk. They are where they are, regardless of temp or altitude.)

31-Aug-07
Another poison snake and Pat in the same area and I second Greg, ya never leave the bow in the truck!

31-Aug-07
i absolutely know that pat could hunt polar bear in Janurary at the north pole and find a snake to play with.

31-Aug-07
What ever happened with Pat's Montana elk tag and hunt he was trying to line up, anybody know? Is he still going to do that also?

31-Aug-07
that sanke would have made great chili.

31-Aug-07
Had to draw a guide named Chance rather than Lucky, eh? ;^)

Phil, he's going unguided at Rhynard Ranch (one of the sponsors here) in Montana the last week of September.

31-Aug-07
Maybe Pat found a new belt.....cool snake.....Jeff

31-Aug-07
Pat,

I think you should start carrying your bow with you at all time's!!! I made the mistake of just going to peek over the next ridge without my bow and there was an elk feeding 40 yards away and me with no bow.

Sharpstick

31-Aug-07
Pat, you missed your chance. That rattler is P&Y material, has one of the largest rattles I have seen in CO. and I have seen a bunch.

31-Aug-07
I'm gonna start calling you Snake Magnet. LOL

One thing is if you get out of hunting you can always work as a snake charmer.

Any details about the ranch? Acres, species of wildlife, game management plan they have, more about the habitat?

Looks like a beautiful place. Are there any whitetails or mule deer on this property? In any event good luck Pat I hope you finally get your well earned monster elk

31-Aug-07
Still waiting for the pm update. On the end of the seat here.................

01-Sep-07
I was looking at the products Pat is using on this hunt. I do not see his arrow rest mentioned. Anyone know what type of rest Pat is using ? and arrow combination.

01-Sep-07
i believe he is shooting cedar off the shelf, rug rest.

01-Sep-07
This LIVE elk hunt is awsome...This is the first year I havn't been in a looong time and i'm really enjoying the pics and posts. I catch myself thinking about the hunt and want to go check my computer to see if it's updated or Pat has connected....I'm rooting for ya!!!!

The snake was pretty cool...

01-Sep-07
good job marty thats three animals this fall so far good luck on your muly up there

01-Sep-07
how do you pass on a 40 yard shot on a big bull like that? I'd be sorely tempted to shoot him at that range, although like Pat I'd like to be closer. But elk are big animals with a fairly large kill zone!?!?!?!?

02-Sep-07
I think you done the right thing tonight....better off leaving them alone as to take the risk of blowing them out of the county........good move Pat

02-Sep-07
Pat I'm heading out tomorrow and will be in north central Co. I'll keep my eyes open for somebody bringing in a big rack, maybe with a rattler hanging off a tine!

02-Sep-07
"how do you pass on a 40 yard shot on a big bull like that? I'd be sorely tempted to shoot him at that range, although like Pat I'd like to be closer. But elk are big animals with a fairly large kill zone!?!?!?!?"

"He was 40 yards away. I wanted to get closer and had no shot from here anyway. A thick pine was all that stood between me and a 320" bull."

If you have no shot it doesn't matter if it's 15 yards or 40..... :-) Also keep in mind that even though Elk are big with a big kill zone they have an equally big stride and can cover 3' easilly in one step!.... If you have A bow shooting 300fps at 40 yards it will take .4 seconds for that arrow to cover the distance. If an Elk starts walking when you release your arrow impact could be as much as a foot or more off.Just something to consider.

Is anyone else finding the video clips extremely slow to download??..... Terry

02-Sep-07

Roadkill's embedded Photo
Roadkill's embedded Photo
Videos are downloading fine for me. I'm havin a blast waitin every day to see what happens. I'm hoping to see you break that curse Pat!!! I'm lovin it, 1 week and 4 days left till I leave. BTW- just pick that rattler up, thats what we do here in PA :)

02-Sep-07
Roadkill,

That just isn't right!

NM

02-Sep-07
No Morning Post..... Might be some Elk meat on the pole.... Terry

02-Sep-07
"Rule number one for elk hunting- you NEVER leave your bow behind to 'go look around'. That's gaurenteed to bite ya."

Mr. Murphy would have seen to it that those elk were 400 yards below if he had his bow. ;-) You can be sure he won't make that mistake again.

02-Sep-07
Terry......I am thinking the exact same thing. Hope we're not wrong !

02-Sep-07
Oooh I would love to chase bulls on that place. It's a one of a kind place in Northern CO. A big chunk of land with good (albeit different)elk habitat and basically no public land bordering it. Most folks here have been driving by it for years with no clue what kind of elk it holds.

02-Sep-07
I wish he would get around to posting how it is going. Anticipation is high. I agree, what a great place to hunt.

02-Sep-07
Im smelling success, I sure wish he would let us know about this mornings hunt, or even this evenings as late as its getting!

9er

02-Sep-07
What time does he usually get his post on here? Its driving me crazy. Only one hour left until I can say only 15 days until I head off for my first elk hunt. Wife has officially labeled me useless and she can't wait to get this hunt here. I warned her its only going to get worse.

03-Sep-07
well i guessed wrong, maybe tomorrow, good luck 9er

03-Sep-07
Major bummer! Hope tomorrow is better!

03-Sep-07
"Hunting in 90 degree weather sucks", you got that right. I hope you get a cool down or maybe a nice cold front comeing through.

03-Sep-07
Keep on keepin on.

03-Sep-07
Hot dry weather. Sounds like perfect conditions for sitting on water (unless there is too much water). If not pushed, elk will water every afternoon or evening. IMO, mature bulls are far easier to ambush than mature mule deer. Did you give sitting on water at try?

03-Sep-07
Too much water? This is the Colorado Front Range! That being the case, as long as you can find some, that would be a GREAT idea! -N

03-Sep-07
pat, its getting to be that time of the hunt where you gotta make something happen. be aggressive and go after those elk. play the wind as best you can, use a decoy, call, etc. and make it happen.

03-Sep-07
Good luck Pat, hope that weather cools down. What elevation are you hunting?

I'll be there late on the 14th and start hunting on the 15 to the 22.

03-Sep-07
loprofile, Come on, dont bash my older brother like that. He will do circle around most guys his age. I thought about not using that pic, but didn't have one with me that was as good (I'm not fat, just ugly...grin).

Good luck Pat, It'll all come together!!!

03-Sep-07
Does that part of Colorado have the type of cactus that grows between the blades of grass?

Pat's legendary stalks usually involve putting on the final stalk in his socks!

03-Sep-07
Sounds like a tough hunt. Lots of good bulls, but limited means of getting within range of them. I was also wondering why he hasn't hunted water yet. Must be a good reason. Neat country. Reminds me of some of our low elevation elk country in Arizona.

03-Sep-07
8:30 pm on the left coast and no up date yet ? I hope it means Pat is busy packing elk !

04-Sep-07
What would the big bull walking left to right in the last video weigh on the hoof anyway? He looks heavy but I haven't seen that many elk to judge him by.

Good luck with them Pat. Hope you get the one you want.

Rob

04-Sep-07
Hang in there Pat, I think your curse is about to leave you. Hope you zip a nice bull today.Best of luck.

04-Sep-07
Looks like the hot weather is about to leave but, unfortunately, a couple of days after Pat. Curses...

04-Sep-07
In many cases hunting is greatly improved by hot weather, as it makes animals move and can make them more predictable. While some do not find sitting water to be very fun or rewarding, it can be very productive.

04-Sep-07
Very exciting stuff. Pat keep the faith and forget the "curse". Your on good ground with the right guide. Best of luck! MO

04-Sep-07
I'd agree that can be the case, Matt, particularly in dry country like Pat is hunting but I was referring to hunter comfort levels. This brutal summer cannot end soon enough for me. It again hit 90 before noon here in Golden and I doubt it's much chillier in the foothills outside of Fort C.

04-Sep-07
I'm sure Pat is getting the right advice from those who are there with him...but if the bulls are getting a little aggressive I would be working that cow call and sounding like a cow in estrus. If they haven't been hunted much, if any, they should be pretty eager!

04-Sep-07
Looking forward to viewing the sunset bull video.

04-Sep-07
i made exactly the same mistake yesterday morning on a mulie in Idaho. the deer also jumped the string. seems like you're supposed to aim low to compensate for a sharp upward angle, no?

04-Sep-07
Pat

Nothing harder to hit than a deer thats wired !!! I know I've tried it before,with the same results.I wish you better luck on your next encounter.

Gene

04-Sep-07
cut yardage on uphill as well as downhill.

04-Sep-07
sarge: you mean horizontal distance I'm sure

04-Sep-07
"PAT"...cool snake (I hope he's dead)! I just started looking at your elk hunt. Beautiful...doesn't describe that property in your photos! It's Magnificent in all aspects...Thank's for that! Great Pictures!

Your hard at it and I can tell your having fun and excited for THE KILL! "You" are a Lucky Man Pat!!!

Great Photos and I am praying that "YOU" tag a MONSTER!

(can you stay over/longer?)

04-Sep-07
jump the string? only if he fell off the top rung of a 4' step ladder :) geeeeze, that shot looked high from the get-go. LOL

you better go back to the stickbow

what's the mailing address there? i'll overnight a really nice 7MM

04-Sep-07
Where are you comming from Kurve? Doesn't seem to positive or constructive. May be I missed something.

Sounds tough conditions for stalking, period.

Charlie - SA

04-Sep-07
I have seen video of a guy shooting at a bull at 20yds in slow motion. The bull sinks down into a squat and turns 45 degrees before the arrow hits him. Pretty amazing. The arrow hits him in the heart. If the bull hadn't sat down and turned the arrow would have been low! So, with a little help from the bull the guy filled his tag. Now you take a deer that is wired and looking at you at a longer distance...good luck, he better be a dumb one! But the shot did look way high to begin with. He doesn't move much until it goes over his back. We all make decisions we wish we could have over. Next time!

04-Sep-07
Charlie, relax. I'm poking fun. I fully understand the difficulties and what Pat is contending with.

I wish him the best and anxiously wait for him to get rid of the curse, honestly.

04-Sep-07
As the thread header suggests this is the place to discuss the semi live hunt. And I’m sharing some of my observations not intended as a debate just stuff that has happened to me.

From 1991 to 2003 I spent at least 10 days per year in the field wondering why I never could get a shot at an elk, and during the first 9 years wondering if I’d ever see an elk during archery season.

Some guides that I know and one in particular has an 11th commandment, thou shall not “chase after the elk, you must call them to you” when you think about it, this makes sense for a lot of reasons. And with that here is what I have experienced during the past.

During 2005 I located a cow elk, and she came in to my cow chirp. Shortly after, a bull bugled and he was not far off. With the wind in my favor I copied every one of his calls, when the distance was narrowed to under a hundred yards the bull let out a bugle followed by a chuckle that still has my ears ringing. I copied him and then broke every dry tree branch I could find. The bull came in fast.

During 2006, I had a bull answer back to my bugle; once again I copied his replies. When I narrowed the gap, and he bugled back with a chuckle I broke every dry branch around, he came in real fast.

I think my approach would be considered aggressive; I narrowed the distance between us then challenged the bulls during the early season. It worked for me, I did not chase after the bulls and I called them into me.

So far I have not read any update that indicates nothing more than some cow calls have been used. Who am I to say what to do? I’m just sharing what has worked for me. There still is time for filling the tag I hope all the best to Pat.

P.S. I’ve always found mule deer a lot more inquisitive than white tail deer. I think I saw the arrow hit a branch;-)

04-Sep-07
Pat, You should have held low to compensate for the uphill angle. I hope you break the curse and leave Murphy in the red breaks. I do know how you feel. I have a PHD in Murphy's Law, when it comes to killing elk. I'll be checking in tomarrow. I hope you will be giving an early report. If you do, then the curse will be broken. Shoot sharp - shoot straight! DD

04-Sep-07
Good Luck Pat, It aint over till it's over. Keep your focus and I hope to see some sucess photos tommorow, I have enjoyed following your hunt.

05-Sep-07
u guys need to aim higher on uphill shots for example a 35 yard shot u might have to aim as shooting 39 yards .Shooting downward you hold lower 35 yard shot u might aim 31 yards It all depends how steep of a shot. Louis

05-Sep-07
"Pat, You should have held low to compensate for the uphill angle"

DD

"u guys need to aim higher on uphill shots for example a 35 yard shot u might have to aim as shooting 39 yards .Shooting downward you hold lower 35 yard shot u might aim 31 yards It all depends how steep of a shot. Louis"

Well......which is it?

05-Sep-07
Aim low and uphill and downhill shots. Better yet, buy a rangefinder that does the angle compensating for you. The devil is in the details.

I am sure he will connect today. Good luck.

05-Sep-07
City hunter is right on the money.....for uphill shots add a few yards and for downhill take a few off depending on the angle......

Good luck today

05-Sep-07
typo alert!!! ...

it's no wonder the buck had time to get out of the way, @ 24fps that arrow would take FOREVER to get there. ;^)

sounds like a great hunt - regardless of the final outcome.

05-Sep-07
"u guys need to aim higher on uphill shots for example a 35 yard shot u might have to aim as shooting 39 yards .Shooting downward you hold lower 35 yard shot u might aim 31 yards It all depends how steep of a shot. Louis"

That's not right. Uphill or donwhill makes no difference at all. What you should be shooting is the horizontal distance, regardless of the angle or actual distance. Gravity is what makes your arrow drop, and gravity is consistant regardless of speed, angle, or distance.

Pat should have held low, no doubt. Not an easy thing to remember in the heat of the momoent though...

05-Sep-07

SANDMAN's embedded Photo
SANDMAN's embedded Photo
Just to clarify things... when shooting uphill, you don't add a few yards. You shoot it for the horizontal distance, which in the case of my diagram, is 10 yards, not 20 or 22.

05-Sep-07
uphill down hill makes no difference, use the horizontal distance for both. The diagram above describes it perfect.

05-Sep-07
20 will work in the example most likely but its slightly less then 20. (square root of 394.1)

a squared + b squared = c squared

05-Sep-07
Sandman- good illustration. I like the way C3PO is bending at the waist also ;-)

05-Sep-07
Uphill OR downhill has less effect from gravity then a straight shot from everything I've read on the subject. Based on this, the arrow will not drop as much when shot from uphill or downhill angles. So, if anything.....he should have held low. From the video, though, it doesn't look like a very steep angle. I would've probably held right on. Oh well...... Don't you hate that sinking feeling when you realize you've got one more day left to make it happen!

05-Sep-07
you guys have got to be kidding.......

you always hold low on uphill or downhill shots. all measurements are taken at horizontal levels to the target. the problem is....on uphill shots....you can't get a horizontal measurement....you'd be pointing the range-finder into a hill or a mountain. that's where math skills are key.

amazing who many don't know this.

the picture is a perfect example.

by the way, for those who are still confused on the uphill shots...how much arrow drop would you get shooting straight up? the answer is 0". it would just come back down and hit you in the head. which by the way....is a bad thing. lol

serb

05-Sep-07
Bingo Serb-As he said, on all uphill and downhill shots you hold low if no rangefinder is handy. This is from Bowhunting 101. I think Pat is having trouble because as good as this ranch is, sizewise and with all these Elk, it is very open. Seems to me they are doing more moving around than if they were in heavier cover. It is a heck of a lot easier to get on them if their is more cover to work thru and around than open ground. Sounds more like a track meet than a Elk hunt.

05-Sep-07
Isaac Newton is rolling over in his grave...even if he was buried vertically.

05-Sep-07
no offense was meant when i said this. but for any hunter for that matter not to understand gravity/bullet/arrow drop....is kind of telling in the fact of we have some that don't mind their p's, and q's.

it can't be all newby's here.

now as for PAT holding high????????? that i just don't understand.

05-Sep-07
If after all the threads on shooting uphill or downhill and where to hold people are still holding high for uphill shots the wildlife have got to be loving it. Yes, your head tells you that you have to shoot for 22 yards on the example, but the arrow is telling you to use 10 yards. There have got to be some happy animals out there that have had arrows whizz over their backs. It wasn't because they jumped or ducked the string either. Up or down use the horizontal distance. It happened to many times to me before I finially learned.

05-Sep-07
Here's a hypothetical question I heard once:

I'm hanging onto the top of a TV tower 1000 feet in the air. You are a mile away and you point a rifle directly at me. Assume the barrel is pointed directly at me, not sights. Do not consider wind or air resistance, like we're in a huge vacuum. If you pull the trigger at the exact time I let go of the tower, does your bullet hit me?

Gravity will ALWAYS have the same effect on any object. Angles, speed, distance, weight, height - None of it matters.

05-Sep-07
Heck, I'm not going to waste a bullet and risk being arrested if you're going to let go of the tower anyway. ;^)

If you apply the side mirror strategy of "objects are closer than they appear" you don't even have to bring gravity into the discussion. The horizontal distance is ALWAYS less than the up or down slope distance.

05-Sep-07
"If you apply the side mirror strategy of "objects are closer than they appear" you don't even have to bring gravity into the discussion. The horizontal distance is ALWAYS less than the up or down slope distance."

TRUE...the only question is....how much closer???

05-Sep-07
Here is the real problem, C3PO has terrible foot position as a right handed sarcher, and is shooting across his body!

He is going to miss left or right, even if he has the horizontal yardage!

If this looses me a star on a debate free thread, I'll take one for the team! :^)

Brian

05-Sep-07
Serb, I'd suggest starting another thread on the subject before we raise the skull & crossbones and completely hijack this one.

05-Sep-07
Thanks! Now I have a headache!

05-Sep-07
Up or downhill...with todays setups the difference is a matter of inches at best. Never had a problem with compensating, because I don't:^) However....those couple inches that MAY affect the impact point?...will not counter the drop of the Mule deer that was also shown on film.

05-Sep-07
I really hope Pat gets both a trophy elk and mulie but from watching that shot, it looks like he was way high and behind the deer even before the deer drops. I'm guessing he hit a branch or something on the way cause it was way off or appears to be anyway. It looks like it clears the brush that is behind the deer. Anyone have a way to put the clip in a format that we can stop the arrow in flight? I definately know about missing so don't think I am busting on Pat cause it happens to all of us at one time or another. I have singlehandedly killed or wounded just about every species of tree that is known to live in the USA. Just curious as to where the arrow actually was/went as these computer clips are definately deceiving. Anyway, good luck to you Pat.

Rob

05-Sep-07
Heck, I was gone for 3 days and figured when I got back, Pat would have one down of either a elk or mulie or both.....I see he's still trying....Sorry about the miss (snicker... snicker) :0) .....Jeff

05-Sep-07
Waiting for the update......

I hope Pat's bussy taking pictures and quarting his elk

05-Sep-07
OT: spend time on an NFAA field course, you'll figure out pretty quick how much to cut (for BOTH).

back on track, this hunt of Pat's was tough from the get go. 100% ambush but in real open country. Hope he connects today. There are some good bulls there.

05-Sep-07
I think it would be difficult to hunt in that open country.

He's gotta be very limited on the moves that he can even make without being seen or winded...

On the other side I would rather be able to see the elk and know where they are

05-Sep-07
Thats what I was just starting to think.

05-Sep-07
His last post yesterday read: "You can pretty much forget about an AM update. We are going flat out tomorrow for one last sprint."

Hard tellin' exactly what the weather is like on the ranch but the clouds (with a little thundershower and a good breeze) have moved in here west of Denver and the temp just dropped by 18 degrees. Looks like some hefty showers are moving through the Fort C area right now (2:45 PM).

05-Sep-07
Pat...I hope this last day things come together for you. Sorry, but you just plain misjudged the distance on the mulie, he didn't duck that low.

City hunter and Arrow slinger...you both need a Physics lesson...you shoot the same uphill or downhill. No debate.

05-Sep-07
It is amazing how many Hunters do not know where to aim at that distance. Some field course shooting would help people to learn where to aim. It will teach you a lot and its fun and challenging.

05-Sep-07
ok-ok- sorry I started all this with my "seems like you're supposed to aim low " comment. Pat's is a great excuse, and I think I'll use it too for the reason I missed my mulie Monday morning. Truth of the matter is I misjudged the distance and shot too high. But the "aimed high to compensate... that's my story and I'm sticking with it" thing is a pretty darn good. I'll borrow it. I have a hunch Pat knows to aim low, but wanted to give us something to talk about so as not to rib him as much about missing the gimme deer.

A NASTY windstorm blew though Idaho today, bringing a bunch of rain and cooler weather. If the same storm dropped the temps in Colo for Pat, hopefully it kicktarted the elk into doing a little bugling and acting rutty, Seems like getting those bulls crazy with some calls could close the deal for him. Give 'em hell Pat!

05-Sep-07
Post an update! You're killing me dude!

05-Sep-07
My guess is Pat extends the hunt to take advantage of cooler weather. I can't imagine hiking around in those temps! Maybe Pat shot at a mirage in heat exhaustion.

05-Sep-07
I'm don't know if he has or has not, but I'm sure he has had an adventure that he will treasure long after any regrets are forgotten. It is better to have hunted and eat tag soup than not to have hunted. I must be quoting someone. I have had regrets on hunts but have never regreted a hunt. Pat, I hope you are packing, but sure would like to hear about your day's hunt. DD

05-Sep-07
DD..................ditto

05-Sep-07
I'm goin' to bed.

I know you've had a great hunt regardless of the outcome. I'm hoping to see some hero pics in the morning!

Thanks again Pat for keeping me glued to the updates!

...well...one more quick check before I hit the hay...

05-Sep-07
Pat, hope the last evening went a little better for you. I know you and Wes have been busting your hind-ends on a daily basis. Seems like every day brings a brand new helping of little victories and little defeats. I think the fella above said it best "better to have hunted and eaten tag soup than not to have hunted"...I like that. My own personal motto has always been "It's good enough just being there". That said, it sure was sweet getting to fill my elk tag this yr after dreaming of it for what felt like eons. Oh and by the way, thanks again for dinner, wish we'd had more time to chat. Next time your in Omaha dinner/lunch is on me. Good luck the rest of this season, be safe. PS -Thanks again to the entire crew at Atkinson Expeditions for making one knucklehead's dream come true. See y'all soon.

-Marty

05-Sep-07
IF you didn't kill the monster....I hope you extended your hunt and stayed longer!

06-Sep-07
Thanks Pat for the updates. We all enjoy you sharing your adventures with us. Keep it up. It will happen!

06-Sep-07
Well ya win some and then ya loose some. At least ya had fun!!! 8*)

Great story thanks for sharing!!

06-Sep-07
Pat it looks to me on your first day you could have filled your tag by running them elk off the cliff. Pats Bufflo Jump If you got above them maybe a bugle mite have pushed them over.

06-Sep-07
Pat

Maybe you came home empty handed,but it sure looks like you had some great elk hunting experiences.Thanks for posting your hunt and I'm hoping you will give us a semi-live hunt from Montana and break "The Curse" Deer season starts here on Sept. 15 and I know you will be out in the CT woods,as I will be! Good luck and best wishes.

Gene W.

06-Sep-07
great try and thanks for taking us along. it will be all the sweeter when you connect on that first elk. i hope it is in MT in a few weeks.

06-Sep-07
Pat - great job on the live hunt. Sorry that you didn't get either of your critters. I think that you'll enjoy the Montana hunt more anyhow. I have never hunted with a guide and think you'll enjoy the experience even more when its just you and your wits against the local herd!

With all the heat, there must be water sources, wallows, etc. I think that those might have been an option for you. Sitting in a treestand over a wallow or other water is better than lunch at the lodge any day! Plus your ods for sucess are much higher.... Thanks again for the "work", its a boost for those of us on the sidelines this elk season...

>>>>>----------------->

06-Sep-07
Pat,

Looks like you had a great hunt none-the-less. You could have filled your tag early, but you held out for the goal you set. Good deal, and better luck on your next hunt.

Thanks much for posting it for all of us to enjoy!

Ralph

06-Sep-07
Thanks, Pat. Now that you are out of here, a cool front has moved in. Figures...

06-Sep-07
Pat-Thanks for the daily updates. Hope things go better in MT. Reading your daily posts I thought I was watching the Bowhunting version of the West Coast Offense in football. A lot of run an shoot. Looks like the area you were in is more conducive to gun hunting than bowhunting. Good luck in MT. and don't forget to bring you Hoochie Momma call. Works great. By the way. I have been on 8 bowhunts for Elk with some great guides and am in the same boat as you, nothing yet.

Chip

06-Sep-07
Thanks for posting this great hunt Pat. I enjoyed it and wish you luck in MT.

It would be interesting to read about any lessons learned, or things you might do different if in the same area with the same weather conditions.

I think elk are the luckiest of all when it comes to being in the right place (for them) at the right time.

06-Sep-07
As the saying goes..."There's always next year"....You'll connect....Thanks for the show....Jeff

06-Sep-07
Tough year for weather-HOT! That does look like tough terrain to stalk in. Kind of have hope you are in the right place at the right time. Also need some "clay red" camo!

06-Sep-07
is it just me or does it seem that in this hunt there was too much (really only) spot and stalk. Elk are similar to deer in many ways so why not do more stand, blind or funnel hunting. I hunt in Colorado where you can't glass much so you go to places where you know elk frequent, sit there for hours and hope one or a herd comes through. Not much different when I hunt whitetails, and I'm somewhat successful with both species.

06-Sep-07
got_elk? - I agree. The hunt was too much spot & stalk, there are many other ways to hunt them and you have to be adaptable.

Best of luck Pat in Montana! There's a BIG GUY there with your name on him, he just doesn't know it yet!

>>>>>----------------->

06-Sep-07
Just curious, what does a private land one on one hunt like that cost?

06-Sep-07
I enjoyed the play-by-play and I don't even elk hunt. I fear I must differ on the idea of a "vacation" after the hunt though. I always thought the hunt WAS the vacation!

06-Sep-07
I enjoyed reading the day by day updates. I hope you will do more of this in the future.

06-Sep-07
u guys keep saying sit at water im sure these elk arent coming to water till dark Im sure they were checking the elk to see if they were mud covered. Just because youre seeng elk dosent mean you can kill them, Some areas u just cant klll an animal its just that plain and simple . I think the odds were stacked against PAT on this hunt plus dragging a camera around also hurts the hunter. louis

06-Sep-07
Great hunt Pat eventhough you went home with tag in hand. I hope the next elk hunt is semi-live as well. Hunting elk has been my dream for a long time and for the time being (until I'm done with Grad school) I'll have to live it through you.... thanks and good luck.

06-Sep-07
Tough terrain to hunt unresponsive bulls for sure

06-Sep-07
Thanks for an exciting ride.

06-Sep-07
What a bummer. Well it kept me occupied for another week anyway. Great stories Pat and better luck last time. As they always say, that's why they call it Hunting

06-Sep-07
Pat, Are you going to do another live hunt like this when you go to Montana for your elk hunt?? Please!!!!!

06-Sep-07
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed it as I have all your live hunts. Good luck in Montana.

07-Sep-07
Thanks Pat it was great to follow your hunt. One thing that is worth noting is the issue of the pressure Pat puts him self under by doing all the video and trying to get all that and the hunt to came together at once, is a big ask. Good luck in Montana.

07-Sep-07
Pat, I really enjoyed reading your daily log. Nice country with some awesome Elk. Looks like a great outfitter too...One I wouldn't mind trying out.

Good luck on the MT hunt. Cheryl and I look forward to it.

Tell Julie, Pat Jr and Matt "Howdy" from Shiloh.

Matt, Cheryl and Sage

07-Sep-07
Pat - wishing you the best of luck in Montana! For that hunt, maybe consider NOT doing it semi-live. Think about this. You get photos, video, make notes. What difference does it really make to us out here if you update it every day or after the hunt. At home/the office you have a bit more time to devote to it and during the hunt you have more time to dedicate to the HUNT. The only difference I can see are the emotions as they play out during the semi-live hunt. But, that can be made in notes as well. Just a suggestion.

Regardless, kill that imperial bull in Montana and keep up the good work!

>>>>>-------------->

07-Sep-07
Go Pat...Go... :0) ....Jeff

07-Sep-07
Pat, out of curiousity. Does that same area hold elk all through the entire hunting season? Or is it primarily an early fall "resident herd" area prior to Rut and migration.

I've hunted some Eastern Washington areas that produced similar hunts in the early season, but by heavy rut was almost barren of anything but straglers.

Looked like a great hunt.

Ralph

07-Sep-07
RLong, we really don't have much of a "migration" in this part of Northern CO. These are year-round resident elk, and there are pockets of them like this scattered all across the Colorado foothills of the Front Range, from one end of the state to the other.

One of the Bowsite sponsors, Kiowa Creek Outfitters, offers a similar hunt east of I-25 on the eastern plains, but there are a few more pine trees on his place, I believe, than on the ranch where Atkinson guides. In fact, since he's east of I-25, you can do a combo mule deer rut hunt and late season elk in the same place.

07-Sep-07
The best thing of course is for Pat to hunt those bulls during the rut, which in this case has not yet come into full swing for that area. A week can make all the difference in the world. Calling would have been much more fruitful, bulls would be moving around differently and not bunched, feeding patterns would change and the weather might be better for the hunt. In my experience the best time for catching the full rut in CO is during the 3rd or 4th week in Sept. Hopefully, Pat can get back there for some real action!

07-Sep-07
Jaq....Thanks much for the response. Interesting to read because I've been through that area of Co, but never hunted it. The late season elk sounds intersting:^) It sounds a little different than the areas I've hunted, where they moved up during the rut, then came screaming down when the snows hit hard:^)

07-Sep-07
Pat, make room in your schedule, I need more to read..!LOL! Good luck in MT!

10-Sep-07

CurveBow's embedded Photo
CurveBow's embedded Photo
I agree with Pat about Rocky Mountain National Park. Lots of elk (until they hire the sharpshooters) and big bulls too. Like the one above.....

>>>>>------------------>

10-Sep-07
Pat,

FYI, a "Royal" is a 6x6. A 7x7 is an "Imperial."

12-Sep-07
And an 8x8 is a Holy $hi% elk! :-)

:::::------------------>

12-Sep-07
I believe an 8x8 is a 'Monarch'...., but Curvebow's name fits much better.

• Sitka Gear