Matt 30-Aug-08
MeanV2 31-Aug-08
im-ocd 31-Aug-08
Muzzy125 02-Sep-08
switchback07 03-Sep-08
Spike Bull 04-Sep-08
im-ocd 14-Sep-08
23-Aug-08
Guys I just want different opinions for low poundage broadheads..My wife is going to start bow hunting again and she cant shoot much poundage(40).I was thinking about a 2 blade cut on contact head...Thanks

23-Aug-08
I bought some 2-blade magnus stingers for my son when he started. They shot so good I almost stole them from him. They were 100 gr. but they also have other weights. I would highly recommend them.

24-Aug-08
Cant go wrong with stingers, very sharp from the package and with a warranty that is second to none.

24-Aug-08
magnus is the way to go for low poundage.

24-Aug-08
"magnus is the way to go for low poundage."

Magnus broadheads are the only way go PERIOD.

180fps recurve, 220fps old round wheel PSE ThunderFlite, 275fps Hoyt from a couple of years ago, 312fps Bowtech

...it doesn't matter what speed. Magnus broadheads will do the job!

24-Aug-08
Magnus are very good heads period.

I also really like Steelforce 100 grain sabertooth heads. I'm sure the other models and weights are also good. I've shot them out of several bows and they fly great also.

24-Aug-08
My wife shoots a Bowtech Equalizer pulling 40# with 25.5'' draw, shoots a 380 grain arrow @ 213 fps. Her bow is paper tuned, she is using Blazers and the Slick Trick standard 100 gr. flies like her field points. She never liked shooting fixed heads because of tuning issues, with the ST we just screwed them on and they flew great (exactly like field points). Wife is happy, her accuracy and confidence in her equipment has never been better.

24-Aug-08
slick trick and teaken magnus are some of my favs

24-Aug-08
My wife shot and still shoots the NAP 85 gr thunderheads. They have worked good for her. As long as the BH is RAZOR SHARP, you should not have a problem with either the ones listed. Bob

24-Aug-08
I think a two blade cut on contact would be a good choice. Muzzy phantoms or Magnus stingers would be my first choice in a modern design.

24-Aug-08
COC "SHARP" about 85g (steel force)

24-Aug-08
5 shot: the Slick Trick standard was the highest scoring fixed head in your tests, why wouldn't it be your pick?

24-Aug-08
If Deer are the quarry then I see no reason why any high quality fixed head won't work just fine.There are many more factors than just the broadhead.Tune that bow to perfection and keep the shots close.I've seen similar setups put Thunderheads through Deer many times with no problems.Heck I used to zip big Rocky Mountain Ultras through Deer with lower poundage bows and heavy aluminum arrows.

24-Aug-08
guys i shoot 50 lbs and my 4 blade stinger buzzcuts completely pass thru every animal i shoot. lifetime replacement guarantee. thank you

24-Aug-08

24-Aug-08
slick tricks

25-Aug-08
My wife has had great luck with Magnus stingers at short draw (24.5") and low poundage (40lbs).

26-Aug-08
I like the cut on contact broadheads as well, snuffers and zwickey's for me are the best, but there is one other head out there that many overlook, and that is the DELMA MA 3. This is one of toughest heads in the world, in my opinion, and one that seems to fly just perfectly on any arrow.

Although a little tougher to sharpen (I do it with a file accross both blades followed by stones)and a friend of mine drilled through the blades (3 each) to lighten it some more for his wifes 40# Martin compound to which a Montana Elk did fall.

These are very accurate broadheads and the 3 blades make up for smallish 1" cutting diameters and there is no question that for light bows they are great killers.

Aloha...

26-Aug-08
Stinger 4 blade.

26-Aug-08
"5 shot: the Slick Trick standard was the highest scoring fixed head in your tests, why wouldn't it be your pick?"

Wrong tool for the job. Inefficient blade angle and excessive cut are a bad combination for low poundage/arrow weight set-ups. In this instance, penetration is paramount and a higher mechanical advantage and smaller cutting diameter would be a better choice.

I would "eleventh" the Magnus Stinger vote.

26-Aug-08
don't think about it. based on my boys experience with a low poundage bow, the 4 blade stinger did the job. I guess i'm the 12th vote

26-Aug-08
If the ST blows through a steel drum and other heads don't the blade angle must not be that much of a factor. Ditto for cut, it's a 1" head. Seems like since it's the top scoring head on broadheadtests based on penetration, it would be a logical choice.

26-Aug-08
1" and 4 blades = 2" cut. 2 blades with a 1 3/16" cut = 1 3/16"

2" is greater than 1 3/16"

All I can say is you don't seem to use the same logic as the rest of us.

Edited

26-Aug-08
My son shoots 85 grain four blade Magnus Buzzcuts from a 42 lb. compound bow. He has two pass throughs so far and both dropped within site. 13th Warrior! ooops- I mean 13th vote for Magnus! (Grin)

26-Aug-08
First cut 90 grain fixed blades (two blade cut to the tip). Thick blades, easy to sharpen after practicing and only $12 for 3. Hard to beat all the way around. I have shot all kinds of deer with them and never had one fail. My wife will be shooting them this year.

26-Aug-08
My wife shoots 75gr. Field points, would it make a big difference if she went to an 85 or 90gr. Head?

26-Aug-08

fuzzy's embedded Photo
fuzzy's embedded Photo
Bear Razorhead, 30# longbow, 1 shot, dead pig.

26-Aug-08
Magnus Stinger 4-blade

26-Aug-08

LongbowBob's embedded Photo
LongbowBob's embedded Photo
My son used a Magnus Buzz Cut in Africa shooting 43 lbs. He took a Blesbok, Impala and a springbok, shooting through all of them.

LBB

26-Aug-08
I love the Slick tricks and they are excellent heads, but Matt said it best. The wrong tool for the job. Slick trik 1" heads penetrate very well for there overall cutting surface, but they do it best with setups producing 55 ft/lbs of KE or better. Low KE setups require more "slice" and less cutting surface to push the arrow through.

26-Aug-08
Okay, if a COC two blade head is best with low poundage because of slice, shouldn't it penetrate better through a steel drum too? It seems like lower levels of friction would get through a material like steel better?

In actual hunting situations, my wife has had pass through shots on whitetails pulling 40# 26'' draw bows (about 34-38 LB of KE) with the Muzzy 75 and 90 respectively. She currently has 38# of KE; I expect complete penetration of a broadside deer at 20 yards or under, using the ST standard.

26-Aug-08
"Okay, if a COC two blade head is best with low poundage because of slice, shouldn't it penetrate better through a steel drum too?"

Would you profess the same type of saw blade that is most efficient for cutting steel is the most efficient type for cutting wood? Or does the type of material that you are trying to cut have a bearing on what the best type of saw tooth design you would use?

26-Aug-08
LBB email us the picture and story with your sons success and we will send him a tshirt. thanx

[email protected]

27-Aug-08
Not to change the subject, but you all have running to Cabelas to get some Magnus heads. I wanted to ask if using the Accusharp was a good way of resharpening?

27-Aug-08
Not to change the subject, but you all have running to Cabelas to get some Magnus heads. I wanted to ask if using the Accusharp was a good way of resharpening?

28-Aug-08
i would recommend the magnus allsharp, nice easy slow strokes from the back to the tip and the broadheads will be sharp and ready to go. thanx

29-Aug-08
I would vote for the Magnus Stinger, never an issue.

29-Aug-08
Again Matt makes a good point with the saw blades. That said If you read the Rating page on my site you will see that I don't claim that my tests indicate how head will do on live animals, they are only a way to compare heads to each other. To be honest a Steel drum seems to simulate bone better than anything else though, so heads that break and push through tend to do better than longer "sliceing" heads. No head is perfect and those that slice muscle and hide best normaly don't do as well through bone. Heads that do best through bone typicaly don't penetrate as well on pure soft tissue hits, this is especialy true with lower KE level setups. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, and that statement is only a general guideline.

29-Aug-08
Given the possibility of striking ribs on a broadside deer (very likely), maybe a compromise between performance based strictly on soft tissue versus a hard material like bone isn't such a bad idea. :-)

IMO Slick Tricks have the best combination of flight and tissue damage (including the likelihood of striking ribs) of any fixed head.

I don't know what the actual difference in purely soft tissue penetration would be with the ST standard versus a 2 blade COC, but deer are not just soft tissue.

29-Aug-08
"IMO Slick Tricks have the best combination of flight and tissue damage (including the likelihood of striking ribs) of any fixed head"

So the 1" BH will bore a larger hole then say a TH with a 1 3/16" cut? Don't think so.

29-Aug-08
The hole from a 1'' 4 blade is not larger than a 1 3/16'' 3 blade like a Thunderhead, but the total tissue cut is comparable.

The 1 3/16'' cuts a toal of 1.78'' and the 1'' four blade is 2'' which makes up for the smaller cut.

I've used both the ST standard and the Muzzy 100 3 blade 1 3/16'' and my wife has used the Muzzy 90 grain 4 blade. From our limited sample the blood trail was better with the 1'' four blade heads.

As far as penetration in a soft medium:

Bow & Arrow Hunting Magazine - published, "Passing The Test" in the October 2002 issue - Volume 40, No.8

Test medium is 20 psi foam and bow was shot using a shooting machine.

Listed is the total penetration in the foam, followed by the actual amount of cut for the penetration.

G5 B2 2 blade COC 100 1 1/8’’ diameter: total penetration= 14 12/16’’ actual cut= 14 3/16’’

Muzzy 3 blade 100 1 3/16’’ diameter: total penetration= 12 11/16’’ actual cut= 20 11/16’’

Muzzy 4 blade 100 1’’ diameter: total penetration= 13 3/16’’ actual cut= 24 6/16’’

The Muzzy 4 blade has better soft media penetration and a greater total cut than the 3 blade with a slightly larger diameter. The two blade head head potentially cuts much less tissue than what is offset by a slight penetration advantage.

29-Aug-08
From my experience I feel it has a lot to do with nothing....they all work.

You know foam is not the real thing.

30-Aug-08
Don't get me wrong I love slick trick heads. They have done more for the advancement of broadhead design than any head in recent history. I also think the smaller 1" heads would work, but I think that a 2 blade cut on contact or a smaller 3 blade 1" head would be a better choice. While ribs are bone, they are very easy to break and or "slip around" with a two blade head. Also getting through the hide is a lot easier with a two blade cut on contact compared to any chisel tip head The hide stretches and is almost "rubbery" all be it not very thick. Again we are talking about a bow hunter with basicly the minimum amount of KE need to consistantly kill deer. Up that KE level to 50 ft/lbs or more and all bets are off and I would say it's a toss up between the stingers or Slick tricks. For the record Foam really acts nothing at all like soft tissue, hide, muscle, etc.

30-Aug-08
"While ribs are bone, they are very easy to break and or "slip around" with a two blade head."

Exactly, ribs aren't even worth worrying about except for skip angle on quartering shots.

"To be honest a Steel drum seems to simulate bone better than anything else though, so heads that break and push through tend to do better than longer "sliceing" heads."

While Ashby's tests are far from scientific, anecdotally his research indicates a sturdy 3:1 2 blade does best on bone.

All that said, I really am not qualified to have an opinion on the subject, as I have not read "Passing The Test" in the October 2002 issue - Volume 40, No.8. ;-)

31-Aug-08
The New Slick Trick Razor Tricks would be an excellent choice.

Dan

31-Aug-08
"All that said, I really am not qualified to have an opinion on the subject, as I have not read "Passing The Test" in the October 2002 issue - Volume 40, No.8. ;-) "

That's actually funny.

I agree on the Razor Tricks.

02-Sep-08
ive never used magnus,but have heard good things,if i ever change from muzzys id try them

03-Sep-08
At low poundage I would stick with a fixed blade head for sure. Muzzy, Wasp, Magnus, or something comparable.

04-Sep-08
I think Magnus Stingers would be a good choice. I've only just begun to experiment with Magnus products, thier Bullhead took the head right off my turkey this spring. I believe the Stingers will make a big hole with little KE. I'll report more as I go.

Slick Tricks are also very good. I easily made great groups with the RazorTricks, GrizzTricks and the classic Slick Tricks.

14-Sep-08

im-ocd's Link
Well,... since this thread is back up, my wife did use the Slick Trick standard and it worked great (bone was struck). I've since ordered some of the Razor Tricks from MeanV2 and they flew like her field points. Next deer she shoots will get a Razor Trick, COC tip might make a slight difference in penetration. Might as well try it.

• Sitka Gear