ORARCHER 26-Oct-11
H Fulmer 15-Jun-12
txhunter58 16-Jun-12
H Fulmer 17-Jun-12
city hunter 17-Jun-12
Lamplighter 22-Jun-12
BIGRICH 22-Jun-12
30-Nov-08
I meet Fred Bear and he is my Archery Hero. I was at The P&Y Awards Banquet in Tulsa OK were he was the speaker the year before he passed away. He was a great guy None of the new guys we have today are in the same class.

30-Nov-08
Papa Bear a man among men.I have a friend who had the privilige to bear hunt with him later on in his life. My buddy told me Fred enjoyed all aspects of the hunt, including the friendships he made around the campfire. With Fred he said it was not all about the kill , but the entire outdoor adventure. We could all take a lesson from Papa Bear in that respect.

30-Nov-08
Wow, never knew that about the drugged arrows, weird!

When I was in college I shot league at an archery store on the east side of Des Moines. They had a ton of picturs of Fred in there and the owner who was always in there was friends with Mr. Bear- he had some good stories-

michael

30-Nov-08
I met & had about a 1 hour conversation with Fred Bear at Cobo Hall in 1968 when I turned Pro Shooter. We talked about BIG BEAR hunting as I was planning on going in the next 2 years. I was going to go with his guide Bill Love & Bill was killed in a bush plane crash b/4 we finalized. I "never" made that trip & it's 1 of 2 Bowhunting trips I will never get to do now...I visited his museam when it was in Michigan. He IS a legend for sure & just another great event in my 52 year Bowhunting career....

30-Nov-08
I saw a bunch of his trophies in either Atlantic City or New York, it's been so long ago I forget which place. I always admired Fred Bear and bought several of his companies recurves back in the 50's. I still have a kodiak Special from 1954 that my dad killed deer with. Howard Hill was my idol and I wish I knew where the books are that I had by him. I tried to make my arrow just like he did and burnt my feathers like the design in one of his books. My wife was very pleased when I started buying already cut fletching instead of those bags of 1000 turkey feathers from Herters.

30-Nov-08
If I remember correctly, didn't Fred Eichler have a job when he was a kid cleaning all of fred's trophies at his museam?

what a job for a budding archer!

Michael

01-Dec-08
Quite the man. I've read lots of liturature about him and not a bad word said.

I remember watching him as a kid on American Sportsman. Certainly primed the pump to get this bowhunter started.

Thanks Pat, Beev.

01-Dec-08
I always idolized Fred Bear. What a great man and great bowhunter. My favorite picture of anything is the one where he and his guide were crossing a swinging bridge they had built(I think they built it) over a raging river in Alaska(I think). Awesome pic.

01-Dec-08
Thats it. Isn't that the coolest of all pics??? That is awesome. Thanks for posting it.

01-Dec-08
The picture has much more meaning when you read about the bridge and hunt in Fred Bear Field Notes (Little Delta Hunt). Glenn St.Charles tells a more of the hunt in his book, Bows on the Little Delta. This was the ultimate DIY hunt!!

PS. That is not a Guide on the bridge, it is one of the other hunters.

01-Dec-08
lopro- nothing wrong with stating facts. Like MR said, he was human- just like the rest of us. I met him when I was a kid at the anderson show. We went down for a couple years and had him sign our programs. Unfortunately, I don't have them any longer. He truly was the greatest thing that ever happened to our passion.

01-Dec-08
I grow up in Bronx NY,When i found archery as a youth that is what helped steer me away from the troubles of the streets The first compound bow i purchased was a bear polar ltd i loved that bow ,, I still recall waiting for the ups truck to pull up. I recall fred shooting a grizz from behind a rock ... He had a way of making it look so easy. louis

01-Dec-08
The book wouldn't be complete without a chapter on Fred Bear. I learned serveral things that I did not know about Fred, so I can see what the book is doing and of course this is important to the overall book. But I'm sure it was very difficult to present. The story about the P&Y meeting was a great tribute to Fred's character. Thanks MR.

01-Dec-08
I don't know if I'll ever get over learning about the pod and SCC advocated by the man himself. He's been my hero for 46yrs. and now it truly seems that my hero is dead. I know what he did for archery for all of us. But, this I can't overlook. His memory and image are tarnished forever. I feel sick. It will never be the same. Say whatever you want. I wish I never came upon this information. It's just like learning that Mickey Mantell was a drinker, smoker and womanizer. Kind of ruins the hero image. It's part of growing old I guess when you realize that there really are no heros. (nut)

01-Dec-08
I am more disturbed by what appears to be inherent doubt as to the lethality and humaneness of hunting with archery equipment than any strange notions of marketing poison-tipped pods. Fred Bear is certainly a legend, by every conceivable definition of the term. However, it is strange to see that text, those words, from a letter penned by the hand of a man who fought so diligently to ensure the legality of archery equipment as a means for harvesting game. Unbelievable.

In spite of the foregoing, it is the lore and legend of Fred Bear that drew me to archery hunting and made me desire traveling to wild and lonesome places featured in the black and white photographs we all know and love. When I grab a bow (whether a recurve or compound) and head out into the woods, I feel a very distinct connection to the images captured in those photos and that connection thoroughly warms my soul. I am sorry to hear Fred Bear was a proponent of poisons to facilitate the harvest of game animals. However, that does not alter he man's greatness in my mind. He did too much good for too long.

01-Dec-08
Very nice work, Appreciated the article

01-Dec-08
"The guy was human, but still legendary. Nobody has come close to filling his shoes and probably never will."

My thoughts exactly. Fred Bear was a regular guy, just as faulty as the rest of us. The fact that he made some mistakes (and was indeed human) makes him all the more heroic, IMO.

01-Dec-08
Fred is my bowhunting idol, but part of that is that he continued hunting with the recurve after compounds came along. Do you think his legend would have been as great if he had switched?

01-Dec-08
One thing about the book is you learn things about all the people in it. almost all you have heard rumers. About things they did. Some of them are people you never heard of. It a tell it like it is book. most of you would never know about Hanson & Lewis and some more of the outlaws, that hunted with a bow. I didn't like the pod story but I knew about it years ago.

01-Dec-08
I had the good fortune to hunt with Love Bros and Lee in BC for griz the year after Fred was there. That was a heady experience for a young bowhunter. Stayed in the same tent. Bill Love and Fred had burried some beer in a burlap sack near the cabin on Stevens Lake. Bill and I toasted Fred with that stash. I met Fred Bear at the P&Y dinner in Denver that following year in 1969. He shook my hand, I thanked him for the beer, it was something I'll never forget.

02-Dec-08
I met Fred Bear at the opening of a sportshop in NJ and I told him that he had cost me a bear hunting trip to Bear Paw outfitters because when I called them they told me they were all booked up because Fred Bear had hunted with them the year before, Fred told me, dont fell bad I did'nt get a bear anyway. He then sighned a book for my son, John Henry, which he treasures to this day! What a perfect gentleman he was.

02-Dec-08
Great stuff there. Honestly though, I like to read the stories of the exceptional hunters from my own area that live today. Guys like Genesis and ks chas on the few occasions they do share stuff keep me as riveted as anything I have seen elsewhere. I wish I could do some of the things Fred did, but given my age and income it ain't ever going to happen. Realistic stories from today are what gets my blood moving.

02-Dec-08

spider1's embedded Photo
spider1's embedded Photo
As Pat said, it was a different time. Besides, poisons on arrow tips wasn't anything new really. Many societies have used it through the centuries. And as for trespassing...I'm sure it wasn't thought of the same as it is today. In Bob Mungers book, he recounts his meeting with Fred Bear. They were both trespassing, hunting for deer. Fred got nailed cuz one of his arrows was found on the property with his name on it.

02-Dec-08

spider1's embedded Photo
spider1's embedded Photo

02-Dec-08
I`ve never done much reading on Fred Bear..perhaps someday when I get older and life slows down I will...in todays world anybody can become a great archer and kill great animals if they have the cash..I hate seeing hunting becomming so glamorized. Hunting to me is a very personal thing. My time in the woods is what I live for other than my family and friends.

02-Dec-08
Fred Bear was the greatest and nobody compares to him. When I lived in Michigan in 1948 he made me a beautiful laminated recurve bow which I treasured. It was a piece of art and a thing to behold. I sure wish that I still had it. Somebody stole it out of my locker at Michigan State University.

02-Dec-08
I spent a week at Bear paw landing in Ontario last fall hunting bears. The cabin we stayed in was the one Fred and his buddies used to stay at when they hunted there. They had written all kinds of stuff on the walls and there were lots of pictures and memorbilla there. It was a great feeling spending time there just knowing that Fred once stayed there.

02-Dec-08
great inspiration to any bowhunter had several chances to have lunch with and just flat screwed up. we have an office 12 miles from the fl.factory. the book is great and I even have a signed copy with no other than bigdans sig. on it

02-Dec-08
how do we get 400 entries on a thread about serb's elite by invitaiton only elk escapade and only 10% of that on a thread about fred bear?

no accounting for taste i suppose. LOL

02-Dec-08
Micky Mantle smoked? Shucks, that other stuff was just a hobby...

"Heros are for comic books." A WWll fighter pilot that used to fly with the Black Sheep told me when I was a kid and asked him a few things about it. He was a crop duster at the time. Heck of a guy.

Idols will disappoint you every time if you think they are above being human. Sports figures, movie stars, bowhunters, whatever. The simple phrase "we're only human" may be one of the few true things in all our human world.

Fred Bear deserves our respect because he earned it. There may have been others even that were better at his craft but he was very good at making bowhunting popular. He connected his love and excitement for the sport with the general public like few others. I remember the shows on American Sportsman and articles in Outdoor Life and others. It's what got me into trying bowhunting too.

I'm glad they told it how it was in the book. Those were different days. Not better, not worse, but different. Things go on now they would frown upon to say the least. They did things back then that would bring screams of outrage here today. I could only imagine some of the threads they would have started...

From all accounts he was a class act in person. And he surely had some wonderful adventures. None of which were cheap I'm sure, even back then. He had some time and money and sold America it's archery. We lived way out in the country and back then the only archery equipment I ever saw in any sporting goods store was Bear Archery. He had a great marketing system I'd bet, the equipment must have been sold as packages to the stores because not a single store owner I ever met back then knew squat about archery.

Few people in any sport had the impact he had with bowhunting in America, no doubt.

A Hero or Idol? No, maybe not as he was flesh and blood, not a comic book. An Icon? An American Legend? Absolutely.

Cool book. Thanks Pat.

Bigdan signed another book? LOL! Story of my life, just when you think you're the only one...

03-Dec-08
Is Tink that short? Or was he sitting down in that photo...

03-Dec-08
neither. he was standing on a chair

03-Dec-08

Africanbowhunter's embedded Photo

Africanbowhunter's Link
Fred was Tall and I am short

Had him to my home twice

Tink Nathan

03-Dec-08

Fred used to callme from florid awhen he was getting bored and tell me about his pet "gator" in the lake b his home

If I get going on Fred we will be here all night

Tink

03-Dec-08
OMG!

Are those WHEELS on his bow????

And wearing camo???

LOL!

Seems he had no fear of innovation. But with that hat he always had style.

03-Dec-08
Thats a right handed bow fred was left

04-Dec-08
OK.

But he is wearing camo....

And Tink's necklace is fancier... =D

Bigdan, you were a Bear dealer for a long time. At what point in his life did he sell the company? Or did he ever really fully own and control it? I've read very little about his commercial/corporate life.

04-Dec-08
"how do we get 400 entries on a thread about serb's elite by invitaiton only elk escapade and only 10% of that on a thread about fred bear? "

The answer is because smart people do not argue with success.

04-Dec-08
Tink,

Is that a grizzly claw necklace? That's great! Was it made for you?

04-Dec-08
My dad and I hunted with Fred Bear and a friend of his for a couple of weeks in far northern Wisconsin around 1955/ 56. My memories are weak, but I do remember a very innovative guy that was always trying to make bowhunting a better sport for everyone. Neither Fred or I got a deer those 2 years.

04-Dec-08
yes I bught it from an Indian lady at at SCI Show Convention Meetign IN LV Eons ago when they were legal has tourqueise & red coral stones

They were quite the rage back then guys wore then @ Pope & Young meetigns

Its called A Squash Blossum necklace

All of Fred Bear Bows had brush buttons BTW

Tink

04-Dec-08

Africanbowhunter's Link
Most of the Pix of Fred with with LH Bear Alaskan the first compound they made. he didn't like it and thought ti would never catch on

bear Archery was five years late in introducing a compound since they guys that ran bear Like Kelly thought it was a fad

Bob Kelly killed Bear Archery by not allowing a photo of a dead animal in a Bear catalog for 17 years Kelly was an Anti hunter running bear Archery and never hunted...and ran & screwed bear Archery into the ground.

Bob Kelly bear President once had a sales meeting in FLA and The 2 hour meeting was the on the topic of Tink Nathan and my promotion of compound Bows when the NFAA banned them. Sherwood Schoch was there and called me afterwords me after the meeting to tell me I was a thorn in the side of bear & Easton I wrote ASK TINK column in Bowhunter magazine which I helped co found in 1971 There was an Easton Bear axis that decided almost everything in archery

they were against mechanical releases, and of course compound bows.

We today can see why some old men really lacked vision and were out of tough with the Bowhunters of their time

When Tins was for sales years ago Escalate wanted to buy it. had they bought Tink's Scent group I was promised the presidency of Bear/Jennings as a reward

Tink Nathan

Pix in my Dining room on 6914 Churchill Rd McLean VA 22101 when Fred Bear come to a Ishi Bowhunters club meeting at my house

My son Jeff little kid in foreground is now in his late 40s.

I spend Christmas eve at Fred Home in Grayling Mich in 1964 . we were good friends.

how many of todays hero Bowhunters who knew Bear were e ever invited to Fred's Home for Christmas eve dinner?

Tink Nathan

05-Dec-08
Tink,

Good stuff there, thanks.

I think we have some similar problems you experienced in KS today-old guys running things with no vision.

05-Dec-08
Tink,

Care to post some of the names of the guys in the photo. It is pretty cool to see Fred and some of the other visionaries in a normal light.

Also, you deserve to be commended for all you have done for the sport. Thanks.

05-Dec-08
Just curious I know Fred Bear took a Tiger in India I think back in the 60's is he the only modern bowhunter to ever take this species with a bow??

05-Dec-08
I remember that Fred took a tiger in India in the late fifties or sixties. That impressed me so I hunted tigers in India in 1972. I shot a beautiful Royal Bengal Tiger in April And it was one of the last legal tigers killed in India. They closed the hunting Of tigers in May 1972. I used a 375 H&H on that hunt and now have a full mount in my basement. Cassman

05-Dec-08
Cassman,

I would love to see a picture of that.

05-Dec-08
"Possibly old timer attitude?"

Possibly, he can probably say what ever he wants because he has probably forgotten more about bowhunting than we will ever know.

06-Dec-08
Unless Bear Achery big wigs have pulled the African movies and pictures from the market, there is solid proof that Bear used drugged arrows on the Lion and Cape Buffalo. The "pod" is quite evident on the arrow with the dead lion. And, the over the shoulder movie shot at the cape buffalo shows the pod powder coming off when the arrow was released. I know more about his movies than most of you do. That's another worthless story. Yes, he did much for archery, but he was no saint or hero as far as I am concerned!

06-Dec-08
Cassman

That must have been one heck of a hunt and one that very few in the world ever got to do you are a lucky guy

06-Dec-08
Years ago i went to Kittery Trading Post in Southern Maine. When i turned a corner in the store there was Fred Bear! Thats the only time i had the pleasure of talking to him but i won,t forget it. Ridge

07-Dec-08
Fred Bear was a living legend when I was a young impresionable kid, most kids in my day looked to ball players as there heros for me it was Fred,to this day i owe him debt of gratitude for instilling in me the passion that has consumed my life for 50 years, I remember reading about THE POD and all the controversy over its use back in the early 70s,and am surprised that Fred would have been favor of its use,for me the only explination would be like most hunters he hated to see any animal suffer from a marginal hit and this would have resulted in a quicker demise."THAT IS WHAT I AM GOING TO BELIVE ANYWAY"

08-Dec-08
I think some of you forget what these gentlemen did for our sport... Without them we probably would not have archery seasons. In those days, they wanted (And I believe needed) to make sure archey was seen as a viable hunting weapon. I'm sure there was lots of expiramentation with lots of things we would not want to get wind of... As happens in lots of things in the early stages... But I'm bowhunting because of them. How 'bout you? Remember, these men poineered our beloved sport.

Happy hunting, Jason

08-Dec-08
When Fred Bear and many of his employees used the "pod" it was indeed illegal!

09-Dec-08
I was employed by Bear Archery during the time when the pod was introduced to all the sales managers. So yes, I have lots of first hand knowledge about it! I could tell you many stories of its use, but not on this public forum...

10-Dec-08

Africanbowhunter's Link
Fred Bear held the patent on the Pod

Said the pod caused him more unhappiness than anything else in his life

Tink ______________________________________________

some of the Guys in the pix in my dining room

George Margargle USMC deceased Curly hair on left Merm Hast III Tall Dude Bob Jones glasses, David Dye, Bill Fowlkes, right hands in Pocket, John Stockman Major USMC Glasses, Ben Pitterelli III kid (my Son( Jeffrey Wayne Nathan far left Morgan Norval Pro Gun Lobbyist in DC

Sorry I cant recall the other Ishi Club Members

I am 68 now

Tink Nathan

10-Dec-08

Africanbowhunter's Link
Fred Told me the tiger was 70 or 80 yard away He shot an arrow over the Tiger to move him closer and the arrow went thru the liver and quickly killed him The pod didn't make it any quicker note the Hole in the cats side

great kill

Tink

10-Dec-08
....ran into Fred in King Salmon, Alaska, on one of his last hunts. His party went out for Caribou and moose....and apparently all scored since the pile of antlers they were putting on the plane was impressive enough that I took a photo! Unfortunately, I didn't take the time to get a picture with him in spite of the fact that we all sat in the terminal for over an hour and got to talk huntin'.... This was in the early 80's....I've always wondered if perhaps any other bowsiters were in the terminal that day......

10-Dec-08
Man, I envy you guys that actually got to meet him. Consider yourselves lucky.

10-Dec-08
I started in 1959, Fred Bear was one of my idols, he still is today.

20-Dec-08
I met Fred Bear numerous times; as I volunteered often to run the movies of his hunts at the Grand Ledge Anderson Archery get together(s) they held.

I had occasions when I talked with him; and that is a real statement; he talked with everyone like they were old friends.

I would work overtime ; get off work at 7 am and head to Grand Ledge; and by noon- I looked like someone to avoid.. but Fred was just the kind of guy that didn't care that I looked run over.

I noticed somethings in his movies; arrows in odd places; and I also noticed that whenever he crossed the river using his bow as a staff; the audience would all gasp.

I told him about it; and he wanted to be there the next time I showed that film; and he was. He sat next to me and when he leaned on the bow in the rapid water; the crowd all inhaled in what seemed like horror. He told me that he had a problem with bows breaking and he put that in the movie to show how strong his bow tips were - but he didn't know people were still reacting to it-- and he shook his head and laughed.

I was present once when someone asked about the pod; and he got a look of despair that I never saw in him before or after.

He was the ultimate trickster; and I don't think anyone suffered as much as Bob Munger. Munger and I went through photos together for his book- while our wives and my sons walked the shore of Lake Michigan in the upper penninsula. We sat in a trailer; and drank some adult beverages; and he told me that he had told Fred he was going to write a book about him - to which Fred replied: 'for Gods sake Bob- wait until I am dead!'.

See Bob had a hole in the side of his Ford Pinto; and had to explain why he had shot some 'tame' geese; and I think the only time Fred ever failed to pull a trick off on him was Freds attempt to get him to shoot a rabbit for him. Fred had told Munger that he was too tired to go get some rabbit meat; and offered Bob a bow to use and a route that never failed for rabbits. Bob knew the season wasn't open; and it took Fred some talking- and off went Munger. He almost shot the rabbit next to the trail- when he saw the string tying its foot to a tree. Lucky thing too; as Fred had a couple fish and game officers ready to 'pounce'.

I know how that arrow got into the tree when they met; and I am sure about it - although I did hear different versions through the years.

One of my favorite moments with Fred was at Grand Ledge; when my son; who shot mismatched arrows and was about 5 at the time - was shooting at a moving boar target. The target my son Mike was shooting at was hung on a long wire; and it was a 3d boar target that gained speed by the use of a long piece of surgical tubing. It was a charging boar target. There were lines where you could start to shoot at it; and where you had to stop trying to hit it. You stood on a platform over the target a bit; and when the boar target would come to a stop- past the safety line- my son Mike would loose an arrow and hit it right between the eyes.

Well; Fred saw that and came over and paid for Mike to shoot again; and he laughed about Mike not missing.

Then the great longbow shooter Ron LaClair showed up; and he missed the boar; and my son hit it; and Fred started buying more shots for Mike. The more Mike hit that boar target; the more rattled Ron got; and the more rattled Ron got; the more Fred laughed! It was pretty fun; and we were invited to sit at Freds table at dinner that night.

Yep - Fred was a heck of a guy; and a guy who held his hand out in friendship to everyone; he enjoyed talking to average 'Joes' like me; and was always smiling.

When he saw the bear takedown recurve I had bought; he asked to look at it; and I asked if he now hunted with a compound ( this was in 1982 I believe); he shook his head and he said " I am sorry I ever picked one of those *** **mn things up!". He pointed to my bow and said "that's the kind of bow I hunt with !".

I miss the guy. I was really never more than a face in the crowd to him; but even now-when I am trying to figure out where a blood trail went - I will hold my bow up and say "help me out here Fred!" - and know what? It seems to work.

He was a kind man; a never ending source of humor; and the only thing that gave him a real advantage in the woods were those big ears.

Anything negative about him is well in the shadows of his decency and love of bowhunting- and should remain there: out of sight.

The unforgettable; the greatest of bowhunters- Fred Bear !

20-Dec-08

Dennis Jackson's embedded Photo

20-Dec-08

20-Dec-08

20-Dec-08

20-Dec-08
[IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l87/adeeden/bearhuntgear099.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l87/adeeden/FredBearBS.jpg[/IMG]

20-Dec-08
Photobucket

Photobucket

20-Dec-08

20-Dec-08

20-Dec-08

20-Dec-08

20-Dec-08

20-Dec-08

21-Dec-08
Myself, as thousands of others, grew up in the shadow of Fred Bear. My first bow was a Bear Gray Fox. Solid Gray fiberglass, with a white rubber handle, about 30# draw as I remember. This was around 1960, I was 10 yrs old then. My second one, about a year and a half later, was a 45# draw Grizzly. With those two Bows and Arrows, I took about all the small game there was to take, around my neck of the woods, back in the day.

Some might have considered that a misspent youth. I personally wouldn't change a thing when it is regarding that element of my life. Fred Bear was "The Man" back in that era, and as far as I am concerned, he will always be a warm and fond memory for me. It is a fact that he did so much to advance Archery and Bowhunting. As we have all grown up and grown older, it should not be so shocking to discover, that he was after all, a Human Being. He too had feet of clay, just as the rest of us do. Remember David in the Bible? of David & Goliath fame in the story? The good books says he was a man after God's own heart. Yet he too, fell short of being perfect. I have never been into hero worship, but will say that Fred Bear always has, and always will, be considered to have been a very positive example to me personally. I do not have the problem with him having considered the pods. Nor with his trespassing the time he did with Bob Munger. It wasn't something he continued to do. I thank the Lord that he gave us all Fred Bear. The world has been a much better place due to the tracks and other sign left by the "Greatest Bear of all" Fred Bear. I've seen all the other "so called" pros, and TV wannabe celebrities. They "Pale in Comparison". This of course is my opinion. I don't expect everyone to agree and that's OK too. You all have a great day and Merry Christmas !

21-Dec-08
Honestly, how could such a great archer as Fred Bear not consider poison to be unethical, or whatever word they used in those days? It's cheating and cruel to boot, no matter who does it. Why not just use a gun?

22-Dec-08
Bowhunting back then was much different then it is today. Many things were new and much was being tried. Some of it proved to be not practical and in some cases, not what bowhunting should be.

The ideas we have today for better or worse just hadn't been invented yet. So it isn't realistic to judge someone because of methods like in the case of drugged arrow shafts which were soon dropped.

Fred Bear like a lot of the folks we now admire promoted their sport. Both for the betterment of it and for profit. If he was dropped into our world today many would condemn him for his supposed greed and self promotion. But that wouldn't be fair to him or us. He like a lot of his generation gave us what we have today and they should be respected for it. Remember them as they were in the context of their time.

22-Dec-08
Bowhunting back then was much different then it is today. Many things were new and much was being tried. Some of it proved to be not practical and in some cases, not what bowhunting should be.

The ideas we have today for better or worse just hadn't been invented yet. So it isn't realistic to judge someone because of methods like in the case of drugged arrow shafts which were soon dropped.

Fred Bear like a lot of the folks we now admire promoted their sport. Both for the betterment of it and for profit. If he was dropped into our world today many would condemn him for his supposed greed and self promotion. But that wouldn't be fair to him or us. He like a lot of his generation gave us what we have today and they should be respected for it. Remember them as they were in the context of their time.

22-Dec-08
Great post Elfking.

22-Dec-08
Yes sits s lion

i don't have the Tiger pix resized

I have 25,000 bowhunting pix and not all are on Computer yet

I played a Trick on Fred Once

he showed me a pix of something Norther American and I said look Fred there a couple of 30-30 shell in the pix

he grabbed the pix away from me and got his reading glasses before he knew that I HAD HIM

there were no 30/30 shells at all!

I miss Fred

Tink

23-Dec-08
the argument over the pod is over- lets leave it that way- this is a thread about Fred Bear.

Bowhunter: well said! That does not come easy to a guy from Ohio; from a man who has deep roots in Ann Arbor...

:)

28-Dec-08
Yes the thread is abut Fred Bear. But Fred Bear used and promoted the "pod"! So, as long as you discuss Bear, the pod is relavent.

02-Jan-09
JR - no...no its not. Fred was the person that everyone turned to for advice; for opinion on archery products and their effectiveness in bowhunting.

To sum him up with the discussion of one element of his existence: is rather a cheap shot.

Tip of the hat to you Mr Bear in this - 2009!

02-Jan-09
Great stories ELFKING. Sounds like not just a great hunter he was a good man. Thank you.

04-Jan-09
Elfking- I was not summarizing anything. I simply mentioned that Fred Bear and some of his employees used the "pod". That fact allows a reference to "it" when any discussion of Bear is underway! Yes, Bear did much for archery. But he also used an illegal device and promoted its' use. Cheap shot? I don't think so. Just a fact in Fred Bear's history...

26-Oct-11
Great article and really a great privilege to read all the responses from those that knew Fred personally.

I know this thread is old but I thought I would respond to the inaccurate pod information in the article. First, I will say I don't have a problem with Fred advocating for them. I think he just wanted to ensure that the sport would not someday be restricted because of publics perseption of the lack of animals being humanely killed. Whether or not he believed that was the case I would deffintly question. I think he had in mind the people that would argue against a bow being used for hunting at all. Or hunting in general. That makes sense to me when you think about what he said about the sport being someday restricted by the environmentalists.

Amazing how accurate he was on that one long before there was an earth day!

What I did want to say is that Fred was wrong when he said that succinylcholine is not dangerous to people. Perhaps he was told that by someone and having no medical background himself he believed it, but, I am an RN and succinylcholine is used to paralyze patients in the hospital so they can have a breathing tube inserted to go on a ventilator (breathing machine). It works by paralyzing a person and stops their breathing leaving them conscious but unable to move or breath; It is not a tranquilizer at all. If given to a human without them being put on a ventilator to breathe, they would defiantly die. That is also why you would never see them legally used for hunting. The government would never allow hunters to purchase this powerful drug over the counter like that.

I suspect Fred did not know that about the drug used in the pods, but whatever you think about his use of them I think in his mind it was more humane for the animal and he hoped they would preserve the legal right to hunt with a bow. I hunt with a bow today because of Fred, and I will always maintain he was a great man and if not for him we would not have the sport we have today.

Tom

26-Oct-11
Field notes is my favorite book of all time! I also met him at the Anderson Archery show in about 1982 or so. I can remember the tall & gangly gentleman reaching his big hand out to meet mine. I'm now watching the Bear DVD's put out by 3 rivers. Good stuff

26-Oct-11

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
This is a poster of Fred thats sets in my trophy room. That Blacktail Bob and Bill Gartland bought for me at the auction at P&Y in Denver.

26-Oct-11
Thats cool Bigdan !!

15-Jun-12
I was blessed to have hunted with Fred in Alaska in 1971 and several times at Grouse Haven. In fact the pic of Fred with a moose taken in 1971 was on the hunt in Alaska when I hunted with Fred. In 1974 a group of Bear salesman hunted with Fred at Grouse Haven and we were hunting with the Bear Alaskan Compound. I took the first whitetail buck taken with a Bear Compound. Many people who never had the pleasure of meeting Fred would ask me what was Fred like , my answer was always the same Fred could make anyone from any walk of life feel like you were special in 15 minutes.

16-Jun-12
Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but found out a lot about him as I did a research paper on him my senior year in high school (1976). My teacher wasn't thrilled, but it met the criteria she set out, so she couldn't turn it down! School work that was fun, imagine that!

17-Jun-12

H Fulmer's embedded Photo
H Fulmer's embedded Photo
The year was 1974 and this was Bear's first compound bow. In this picture, Fred Bear is congratulating me on taking the first whitetail buck with the Alaskan, their first compound bow. This picture is a fond memory of mine, because it is of me, Henry Fulmer, and the greatest bowhunter of all times!

17-Jun-12
H fulmer wow a great pic ! I wanted the bear Alaskan as a kid but it was out of my budget , I bought the Bear polar ltd laminated limbs my friend bought the whitetail hunter, we were the happiest kids ,I recall chasing the UPS truck up the block I killed my first deer with that bow. Thanks Fred Bear and Bear archery !!

22-Jun-12
This thread should be a permanent sticky. I'm just another 48 year old Fred admirer, sitting in the shadows. Read up on him as a kid- had the Archer's Bible back around 79 i believe.

22-Jun-12
H Fulmer , i think you where my sales rep for XI archery back in the late 80's early 90's . Did you used to have Michigan for your sales area.

• Sitka Gear