COBowHunter 05-Jan-09
matt 06-Jan-09
COBowHunter 08-Jan-09
wahyeh 08-Jan-09
midwest 08-Jan-09
HornFerigno 22-Aug-14
NM bowman 22-Aug-14
03-Dec-08
I need help deciding which tent to get. Dang Cabelas sent me one of those $100 off a $500 purchase and now I think would be a good time to get a new base camp tent.

The Bighorn II is on sale for $499 from $650. Where the 12x12 alaknak is $650.

I am planning on using the tent for camping on the prairie in the spring while we are p-doggin. There would be 4 of us, but I don't think we would need the stove then.

Also use in september for a base camp elk hunting, with two maybe 3 guys and would be useing the stove. Probably set up next to truck, but may get into packing with horses, so I thought the fact that you can cut your own poles once you get there would be a benifit for the alaknak.

Thanks for any input guys.

Matt

03-Dec-08
Doc, I hope you receive alot of info. I am looking at them also.

03-Dec-08
I will be buying one next week-end. I am thinking of going with the ISQ pod tent, a little smaller, but with seperated quarters it could work good. Anyone have any expereince with that one?

03-Dec-08
I have the BHII and love it. It has handled some serious weather like a champ for me. I decided on it over the Alaknak due to the lack of the center pole.

03-Dec-08
Doc, I bought the Bighorn II last summer and I absolutely love it. I had four cots in this tent with plenty of room to spare in the middle of the tent. Granted I did not have the stove. If you get on Cabelas web site, look at the reviews for the Bighorn I. People loved it. The only difference between I and II, according to a Cabelas Rep, is that the stove jack is further away from the wall to prevent overheating in the Bighorn II. There are a lot of positive reviews from people who had this tent in some serious weather. If you have any questions let me know and I will share what I know regarding this tent.

Now if anyone has a good suggestion on a good non expensive stove I would love to hear it. :)

03-Dec-08

Ken@leisure's embedded Photo
Ken@leisure's embedded Photo
I have the 12X12 Alaknak II. Just got it last year and really like it for horse camping. There are 3 of us and it has plenty of room with the stove. I cut the side poles for elk camp, but still used 4 metal poles for the corners and used the metal center pole. The stakes that come with it are heavy, but I used them anyway.

I used a manty tarp for a floor cover, got the roof protector and would suggest adding at least one length of stove pipe, maybe two.

I set up camp right before season and it doesn't come down till the last weekend. During Sept. we get high winds that usually wreak havoc on most tents but the Alaknak stood up to them well and I never had to tighten it up the whole month.

Get the hooks, that Cabelas sells, for the center pole. They give you a place to hang your bow and clothes.

Setup is easy for one guy and takes about 15 minutes after you practice in your yard a couple times. You'll want to leave it up for a few days to let it air out 'cause it really stinks at first.

Ken

03-Dec-08
I love my Alaknak LOVE IT never used bighorn

03-Dec-08
Ken where can you get thing for poles? I have never seen it online? Would be great to have.

Also I think someone asked about these exact 2 tents recently, check.

03-Dec-08

Ken@leisure's Link
Don

The link will take you to the hooks. They are under Tent Accessories, in the camping section.

I made mine out of 3/16" Oxy/Acet. rod and painted them with rubber paint. But, then I'm cheap.

Ken

03-Dec-08
Oops, link didn't work.

03-Dec-08

midwest@work's embedded Photo
midwest@work's embedded Photo
Love my Alaknak II. When I bought mine, they were throwing in the stove for free. We added on a Walmart canopy for a cooking area and extra storage. Worked great!

We made our own hooks for the center poles, but I have seen them in Cabela's for sale.

03-Dec-08
Over on the Colorado forum there's a guy with a 9.5X9.5 Alaknak for sale cheap. It has a stove, roof protector and vestuble for about $450 (I think).

Doesn't help you with the $100 off coupon, but he wants to sell to another bowhunter. He's COBowHunter.

Ken

03-Dec-08
TxTrapper- Thanks, I'm hoping you get one of these soon and find a good way to build one of your homemade stoves for it!

Broken Arrow- I thought the BigHorn II was the one that had the stove problem and thats why they came out with the BigHorn III. If I'm wrong and the BigHorn II thats on sale now doesn't have the problem with the stove then I will strongly be considering it.

Ken- Thanks for the idea on the center pole hanger. That would be bonus of the center pole. I don't think a 9.5x9.5 would be big enough for 4 of us but maybe a good deal for someone else.

Don- I did find a few old thread on this same thing just not a lot of replies so I figured I'd bring it up again.

03-Dec-08
I have a used Cabela's Alaknak Tent 9.5'x 9.5' for sale - asking $450.00. Comes with the vestibule, roof panel protector, wood burning stove, stove pipe, and all accessories. The tent is 5 years old and was only used on 3 - one week hunting trips. Used only once with the stove. The tent is in great condition and retail value was $870.00. I live in the Fort Collins, CO area if you are interested. The whole set probably weighs around 100 lbs, so I don't know if it's cost effective to ship. Please send me a PM if interested. Thanks.

Mark

03-Dec-08
I have the original alaknak, white 12 x 12, have had it for a long time and it has always served me very well. I have seen the newer version and all the upgrades are great. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the center pole and run a 3 foot rod through it to hang clothes or a lantern. I haven't experienced the bighorn.

03-Dec-08
I have the bighorn 2 and have used it in heavy snow and cold. I didnt get the cabelas stove because it is cheap, but use a 4 Dog model instead. Get the vestibule!

We just spent a week in 14 degree weather in that sucker and it was great!

03-Dec-08

Jags's embedded Photo
Jags's embedded Photo
We have used the Alaknak 12x12 for last several years and it has been fine for elk hunting. Three guys and a cook corner has been good, the center pole can be a pain at times.

This year we had cold, snow & rain almost everyday and struggled with some condesation on the roof but we didn't have a heater except for cooking & lanterns, I think a heater would take care of that problem though. That would be the same I think for either of the ones you are considering.

03-Dec-08

hammerhd's embedded Photo
My Alaknak w/ modified vestibule. Saved a little cash on the tarp which worked great and held up in some pretty nasty weather.

03-Dec-08

Another pic looking inside from the front of the tarp. Ahhhh....Home Sweet Home for 2 weeks out of the year. Damn, anyone else missing the Sept high country?

04-Dec-08
I have an Alaknak II and love it. In the summer time, I have had my 2 small kids in it with my wife, mother and myself. For hunting trips, 3 people would be the max unless you had another space (i.e., a tarp or vestibule (though I have never used on) for gear). I use a cylinder stove in my tent with coal and charcoal.....nice and warm. My only complaint with the tent is the condensation....but I have really only noticed this during summer time camps....in the fall, I am never in my tent during the day.

JBone

04-Dec-08

GG NYC@Work's embedded Photo
Here is my camp "oven" inside my Bighorn II. 1/2" pipe bent into a frame and a few layers of heavy duty foil. Amazing what can be cooked in there.

04-Dec-08

Lunch break in the Adirondacks in the Bighorn II

04-Dec-08
Anyone else have more pictures on some inside views of each tent?

04-Dec-08
GG NYC- Do you know what the difference is with the new Bighorn III and your tent is? I thought I read somewhere people were having probs with the stove location. Have you had any probs useing that stove in your tent?

Oh yeah and thats a awsome looking oven set-up you have there.

04-Dec-08

DonVathome's embedded Photo
I did have condensation in my Alaknak even with wood burning (although it was a small stove and not always on) it was annoying, if it rained a ton and was cool it would suck - but overall I still love the tent.

No inside pics, basically a square with pole in center - sidewalls are adequate heights.

04-Dec-08

another

04-Dec-08

04-Dec-08
Doc, I think they added more ventilation to the BigHorn, similar to what they did with the Alaknak. The XTC fabric is used in both tents and is extremely air tight, allowing for condensation on the inside. Look at hammerhds and my Alaknak, compared to Jags ans Don's. The A II has much larger vents on the sides. I haven't seen a drop of condensation in my tent. I think the BigHorn III has more vents than the II and they adjusted the stovejack.

For what it's worth, I chose the Alaknak over the BigHorn because of the sidewalls. The BigHorn is more like a dome, which I don't like. The BigHorn is a roomy tent, made out of good material. It just comes down to personal preferance when chosing between these tents.

Don, that looks like it was quite a snow storm!

04-Dec-08

I have never had a problem with the stove in the BH2, and I'm not sure where they moved it in the new model. These things are pretty airtight, but the vent setup in the BH2 promotes good circulation. I bought a good stove so that puppy stays warm and dry. This year I threw a big buddy in the vestibule and we used that to get dressed/undressed after coming in after dark when the woodstove was out. we had an additional tent that we used to store gear so the tent is roomy enough if you keep just cots and some inner layers of clothes under your cots. I swear by those cabelas cot chairs!!

04-Dec-08
GG NYC so it looks like you have three cots in there and the stove? Pretty nice looking setup.

How do you like that 4dog stove?

04-Dec-08

GG NYC's embedded Photo
GG NYC's embedded Photo
Doc,

We could fit more if we use the vestibule for living space as well. My Brother-in-law has this ridiculously big Cabela's cot (XL) that we call the aircraft carrier so it takes up a ton of room. I LOVE the 4 dog stove because it is super heavy guage metal and the door has a gasket so you can make it airtight. The cheaper stoves warp and wil let air in...which is fine if you like loading the stove all night long. here are some pics from this year...better setup.

04-Dec-08

GG NYC's embedded Photo
GG NYC's embedded Photo

04-Dec-08

GG NYC's embedded Photo
GG NYC's embedded Photo

04-Dec-08
That is actually the 3 dog stove (made by 4 dog stoves). This was rifle season in NY and it was COLD. but we would load the wood at 10pm then bank it down and it stayed around 45-50F and I had enough coals to get her going again at 4am

04-Dec-08

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Here's some interior views of the Alaknak II. This is looking out into our "3 season porch" - Walmart canopy with side walls. Much cheaper than the vestibule and more room.

04-Dec-08

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
Just above each of the cots and below the windows, you can see the large vents. There are three of these in the tent which virtually eliminates condensation.

04-Dec-08

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
The stove.

04-Dec-08
That looks nice!

04-Dec-08
I have used a alaknak 12x20 for 5 yrs now during whitetail hunts. The tent has been awesome and could not ask for a better tent. I just took it down we usually leave up for a month thing has held up great from 8 inches of snow to thunderstorms with 55 mile per hour wind gusts. The night of the thunder storm was sleepless but the tent never failed, I was amazed. Great tent from a great company.

04-Dec-08
I lied to ya Doc. I do have the Bighorn III model and yes, the stove jack was moved away from the wall. The only negative thing I heard researching this tent was that the rubber ring on the tent that hugs the pipe sometimes warped and even melted to the pipe if too hot. Now that was feedback on the Bighorn II because at the time I could not find any testimonials on BH3. The rubber ring may be on the Alaknak as well I am not sure.

I love the pictures. Makes me want to be out in the hills again.

04-Dec-08
Yes, the Alaknak has the rubber ring, but it's higher in relation to the stove, so it doesn't have the melting problem.

04-Dec-08
I have a bighorn II that I'm selling. I've had it for 3 years and used it 3 times. Like new except for one small coffee stain and some arizona dust on it. No rips, tears, missing parts, or surprises. Sold for over $600 new. I'm looking to get $350 for it. If anyone is interested you can PM me. I live in the metro Phoenix area.

04-Dec-08
Ken@leisure- From what I gathered the melting came from a very hot stove pipe not from the stove itself. Only a couple of people out of about a hundred complained about it. I can't really comment because I don't have a stove, yet! No matter which way you go you will be happy. I was wanting a canvas wall but I did not want to shell out the cash. The BG3 and Alaknak are made out of very strong material in my opinion and for the price you can't go wrong vs wall tent.

05-Dec-08
BA - The closer to the stove, the hotter the pipe. Also, on the BH3, the pipe goes through the rubber at a sharper angle which might add to the problem. That could be fixed with a flex joint in the pipe. I agree that either tent is good. It just come down to personal choice.

Ken

05-Dec-08
Sounds like Knothead has the deal! I'd take it, but I already own one.

The rubber gasket thing is from the hot stove pipe. I have had my stove so hot that it is 80+ degrees in the tent (14F outside) and i had minor melting (no smell to speak of either. That was the first year, it hasnt melted since.

I do need to get something to brush the creosote out of my pipe before next year. Have ou guys ever used those pressed logs that supposedly eat up the creosote?

05-Dec-08
The first time I ever saw an Alaknak was 82 mile north of the arctic circle in Alaska. We ran into a guy that was camped in the same basin we had been dropped in. He invivted us to his camp for some goat stew. It rained sideways and we had 50 mph winds for 2 days. He was a local, had his own plane and said he put the tent up at the beginning of the season and took it down right before the deep snow came and he couldn't get to it anymore.The only problems he had with it was a grizz ripped the back of it open one time for a peak inside. He had it taped up and it was holding fine. When I got back home I bought one. I use it for hunting camp and the wife and I use it for ATV trips. We added the vestibule and that made a world of difference when you have nasty weather. If its rainy and not really cold, go ahead and set up the stove. That seems to solve the condensation problem. Never used the BH. All I can say is we love the Alaknak. Hey if its from Cabelas, you can't go wrong. They are serious about there "satisfaction guaranteed".

05-Dec-08
We use the Alaknaks for our Camp Grayling bear camps, great tents and easy to set up. 12X20 for cook tents and 12X12 for sleeping. if I was you, I'd get the 12X20, way more room for 3 or 4 guys and better ventilation for warm weather. I'm not impressed with the roof windows on the 12X12 either; not good if you forget to close them and get a downpour when you're gone from camp.

05-Dec-08
GG, don't waste your money on the logs to rid creosote buildup. Just get a 4" pipe brush. Lots can be found on the net. Clean at the end of the season and you're ready to next year.

Nice setups, guys.

05-Dec-08
I have the 12X12 AKII as well. I also have the vestibule and the cheapy stove that Cabela's was giving away with the tent a couple years ago. Love it. Have not had it out in the real cold yet, but hoping to soon. I have the roof protector, and floor liner. Floor liner is kind of a pain, but it does add a layer of protection from the cot feet wearing through. I also put a cut to fit tarp under it as a foot print for protection as well.

In the vestibule, I use a big piece of outdoor carpet so we can leave shoes and boots outside of the tent. Keeps most of the dirt out, and prevent the muddiness that occurs during wet weather.

Have had it up during some pretty serious lightening storms that flattened other tents near by, and everything stayed up without incident. In the summer when we camp where there is electricity, we have a portable room AC until that we run. I run the exaust hose out through the stove floor opening and it keeps the tent reasonable during the 95 degree August heat during the days, and very cool at night. Nice thing about the AC unit is it also dries the air, so during that humid summer camping, our tent, sleeping gear etc is all nice and dry on the inside.

-dan

05-Dec-08
I'm on my second BHII and the rubber ring has melted on both of them so I don't think it was a rare occurance. What a dumb design! Why would they make aything rubber that goes up against something hot? I complained to Cableas and they said that I needed to move the damper down closer to the stove. I would put it in between the first two sections of pipe and apparently that would let the pipe get too hot. They said to put the damper immediately on top of the stove and then the pipes. I'm not sure how this is going to help and I haven't had a chance to test it out yet, but that is what they said. Even with some minor melting I like the rest of the tent so much that it is a minor thing to deal with. But still stupid.

05-Dec-08
My damper is the first section on the stove which might be why i dont get much melting (see my photo above). I thought about plumbers cloth (the stuff they use when welding pipes to line around the gasket, but havent tried it yet.

Thanks for the advice on the 4" brush...will order one today.

I too use an outdoor carpet in the vestibule. I also place a 3 room coleman tent for extra gear, treestands, etc which cuts down on the clutter. I does add a nice "shanty town" touch to the setup.

05-Dec-08
Midwest...I can see that the vents on your tent are way bigger than mine. I bet that has helped with the condensation alot. Otherwise we have been real happy with the tent.

05-Dec-08
So what is the verdict? Keep the pipe damper down low, so the upper sections dont get too hot or not? Just curious. I have a BH 3, the rubber seal didnt melt, but that pipe got extremely hot, and discolored a small portion of the pipe jack...

06-Dec-08
burn it hot, dont worry about the rubber melting, its not that bad of a deal. cold burning fires really clog up the pipe and spark arrester with creosote. I burn a hot stove on BHII and never have a problem with rubber melting. I keep the damper open quite a bit too.

07-Dec-08

Opie hunt's embedded Photo
Opie hunt's embedded Photo
Didn't have any problems of the rubber ring but it does leak a little when it rains hard. Also had to use a tarp because of the condensation of water in the cool mornings in Colorado. But still love the bighorn was able to sleep 5 guys in it with cots.But must get the exstra floor liner just makes it easy to clean. Stayed two weeks in it.

08-Dec-08
Thanks for all the pics and info guys. I ended up going with the 12x12 alakank.

Midwest I really like the idea of the pop-up as a vestibule. I have one of those already with Hawkeye sides for tailgating. I'l just have to get a couple of the sides that have the zipper in the middle for the other two ends.

Thanks again guys, man I can't wait to get this thing set up and try it out.

08-Dec-08
Let us know how you like it Doc.

Ken

08-Dec-08
We've used the Alaknak. Wonderful multi person tent when weight isn't an issue.

08-Dec-08
You won't be disappointed, Doc. Go Hawks!

08-Dec-08
Looking for a tent for 2-4 guys. Those with the Alaknak II, If I get a canopy or vestibule, can I fit 4 guys comfortably. The 12 x 20 seems huge, especially for if there are only 2 guys...

09-Dec-08
OO, I think there would be enough room if you add something like a tarp, vestibule or canopy, so you have some additional space to store gear and do your cooking. The three of us in the 12 X 12 have more than enough room with the stove, but we use a wall tent for the cooking and additional storage. I used the Alaknak on a couple of fishing trips in the summer and didn't take the stove. We could have slept 4 or 5 in the tent because we set up the kitchen outside where I could tarp it if needed.

09-Dec-08
OO I took a piece of paper drew out a to scale version and then cut out to scale cots and placed on the drawing to see if I would be able to fit 4 cots and a stove. I think it will bw possible just not the tons of extra room you would have otherwise.

09-Dec-08
Thanks alot guys!

09-Dec-08

09-Dec-08
Hey Folks,

I have a 12x14x5 Montana Canvas aluminum frame that I'm considering selling. (Just the frame - no tent)

I've been using an Alaskan Guide 8 man dome and really like it.

19-Dec-08
i have that same montana canvas tent, what do you want for the frame?

02-Jan-09

4FINGER's embedded Photo
4FINGER's embedded Photo
I've owned my Alaknak 12x12 for 4yrs, LOVE IT. Never used the Bighorn. We use it from mid August thru November, this was a late November cow elk hunt for one of my sons...4finger

02-Jan-09

4FINGER's embedded Photo
4FINGER's embedded Photo
Low teens with the wind blowing and spitting snow. Stoves are Godsends, Happy New Year to you all...4finger

02-Jan-09
Sitting I'm mine as I type this on the IPhone at my deer lease in SE Oklahoma. Use it here all season and have taken it to Wyoming elk hunting. Great tent for the $.

02-Jan-09
Alaknak that is.

02-Jan-09

longhunter's embedded Photo
They are both excellent tents. I own the BH II and am extremely satisfied with it. Many hunts and we have burned a lot of wood in the stove. This photo is from an elk hunt in Colorado.

02-Jan-09

Here's an inside photo.

03-Jan-09
Alaknak that is.

03-Jan-09
Damn Mark, I thought I was looking into my tent! Nice setup!

I find that i need to hook a carabiner to the vestibule instead of that plastic s hook. Have you noticed the same thing?

GG

03-Jan-09

all4elk's embedded Photo
all4elk's embedded Photo
this is not mine,just saw it along road.not sure which one it is but one of the two tents.about two feet of wet snow will do this.

05-Jan-09
Thanks for the compliment, GC. On that trip, we spent 8 nights and were still friends. Lots of room.

I haven't had to use a caribeaner, yet. The plastic clips have held up.

The vestibule is a must-have. I like to get up early and sip on coffee. I can go into the vestibule, close the tent doors, cook coffee and stay warm with the lantern and the camp stove until the others wake up. Pretty nice!

05-Jan-09
I still have a used Cabela's Alaknak Tent 9.5'x 9.5' for sale - asking $450.00. I've had several people interested in buying it, but no one's committed. Comes with the vestibule, roof panel protector, wood burning stove, stove pipe, and all accessories. The tent is 5 years old and was only used on 3 - one week hunting trips. Used only once with the stove. The tent is in great condition and retail value was $870.00. I live in the Fort Collins, CO area if you are interested. The whole set probably weighs around 100 lbs, so it's probably not cost effective to have it shipped. Please send me a PM if interested. Thanks.

Mark

06-Jan-09
Mark, I am interested. Got a few questions. Could you give me ring at 970-744-1200. I live down the road in Loveland.

Thanks, Matt

08-Jan-09
I sold the tent today. Thanks for all the interest.

Mark

08-Jan-09
Myself and some friends met a man at an archery festival in 2007 that has an AlaknakII. He has indoor/outdoor carpet down to keep it clean and somewhat warmer when foot coverings come off. Rick Cain-the tent owner-told us he loves this tent and how versatile it is to hunt out of and is easy to set up. His one complaint was the center pole does get in the way sometimes but you get used to it. From what I saw I would own one if my finances allowed it.

08-Jan-09
If the center pole bothers some so much, if you put it up in the right place, there is a metal ring on the outside that you can attach a rope to and hoist the center up. No pole required!

Put it up between two trees and run the rope from tree to tree with the middle supporting the tent.

I like the pole. We have hooks on it for a lantern, hanging clothes, run a rope from the pole to one of the corners for drying clothes, invite a stripper to your camp and she'll feel right at home! All kinds of uses!

22-Aug-14
Hi All,

I want to ressurect this old thread to talk about alaknaks. I use alaknak for horse packing on elk hunt and am happy with it. I noticed someone on this thread said that they packin the 4 metal corner poles and cut their own side poles. Anyone doing this? Im wondering how well it works.

thanks

22-Aug-14
I have two if the Alaknaks 12x12 and the 12x20 Love them both have been in all types of weather and hold up great. I have never had an issue. There is plenty of room in the 12x20 for cots gear and the kitchen sink if needed. The 12x12 is nice to I like the extra room on a 3 week hunt it makes camp a little more comfortable. Either one will work and I think that you will be happy. Good luck

• Sitka Gear