wifishkiller 18-May-09
Standman 19-May-09
Zbone 20-May-09
TD 20-May-09
Hollywood 21-May-09
wildwilderness 21-May-09
Rattus58 22-May-09
13-Apr-09
Is it easy to set up a DIY hunt over there? Thinking of going on a getaway with the GF. Would like sheep,goats,pigs whatever just seeing if i can hunt while I'm there!

13-Apr-09
Often wondered about DIY over there. Depends on which island, but heard it could be dangerous due to the natives and their crops...8^)

13-Apr-09
I should have said the big island around Hilo. Zbone I always have a little something extra along everywhere I go, just in case!

14-Apr-09
there are other hunting forums that have more hawaii participation that may provide better information. In my limited investigation of the possibility there is problems with getting a rental car that you can drive on dirt roads to access areas you want to hunt (the rental contracts state you cannot drive on dirt roads). I am sure it can be done though, just finding the right info. the guided hunts are a bit pricey I think. One area I ment to look into was the Pohakuloa training area.

14-Apr-09
Very do-able. The big island is one of the best islands to hunt. You need to send your hunters safety card down ahead of time. You can't just show up and hunt.

14-Apr-09
It does take a couple of months to get a hunting license so plan accrodingly

14-Apr-09
If you have a hunter education card, getting a license is pretty easy...

call 1-808-974-4229 and ask for a biologist to help you. The hunter education program here will do what it can to hamper your effort.

Hunting on the Big Island is pretty easy for archery. There are several areas that are open every day for hunting, some more conducive to dogs for pigs, but there is an ERADICATION area open for sheep that have been shot at by helicopter frequently that house some pigs and some sheep still.

There are several guides that won't mind taking you archery hunting for pigs in forest areas that know what they're doing. The military areas are being ERADICATED and fenced as well, but there are some goats left and some sheep that are huntable on some weekends.

There is also an area on Saddle Road at the 22-26 mile markers called Kipuka Ainahou that is archery only and has two relatively easy access trails. You'll find sheep and pigs mostly, but once in a while goats as well.

Aloha...

14-Apr-09
I was on the Big Island in March. I didn't get to use my bow, but was able to borrow a shotgun and do some turkey hunting. They say that there is a good amount of public land on the Island, but I was able to get a connection for a private ranch to hunt on, so that is where I hunted. Also, there are not a lot of roads. I just rented a jeep, and had no problems. If you go to the Hawaii site some of those guys will help you out. You do need to make arrangements to get a license before going.

Good luck! Pretty neat place to hunt.

Scott

14-Apr-09
Check out the Kauai thread on the Hawaii forum. We hunted last spring DIY backpack hunt. Going back in May.

14-Apr-09
Rattus58, what do you think the chance at harvesting an animal? How many days min. would you recomend hunting these areas? Can glass there? or is it thick forest? I will probably go to the big island in the next year or so, my wife wants to go to the beach and checkout the in-laws new timeshare there.

14-Apr-09
This afternoon I saw some sheep in Pohakuloa Military Training Area from the road in an area open to hunting on weekends. Exciting to see... some nice black and white and browns.

Didn't see any mouflon today, but the Kipuka Ainahou Area has a resident herd in there that aren't easy, but there.

Depending on the area that is open, hunting is so so and you being able to get a shot off is generally pretty good. In some of the ERADICATION area's finding animals is tougher, but if you get into the area you can run across them.

There are some "private" areas that you might also be able to work out something with some of the local hunters as well.

Make sure you have a hunter education card and a drivers license. Make a copy of both sides of both cards and send it to the state for an exemption to the hunter education course directly.

Aloha... Tom

15-Apr-09
Thanks for all the help guy! Sounds like its worth trying!

15-Apr-09
Speaking of Aloha....sure haven't heard from Mr. Hudson Mike Hascall lately. Sure hope he is doing well.

18-May-09
ttt we are going the second we of July! Bring a TD recurve along and going to take care of the hunter ed stuff just in case.

19-May-09
Zbone we were on Maui. They told us, when you are in the high country don't get out of your car to sight see. The cash crop there is well protected.

20-May-09
8^)))

20-May-09
No worries brah.

Da bruddas mostly stay sleeping.

21-May-09
Any info on Molokai???

...supposed to be good goat hunting. ...or so I've heard.

I've only hunted Maui.

21-May-09
I heard Molokai is more of a "locals only" affair so its best if you have a connection

22-May-09
Hi Wilderness,

When are you coming to Hawaii? I have friends on all Islands that might be able to help you find places to hunt.

The big island has hunting all over it for archery, and some people luck out first time out, some never. I know hunters here have the same luck.

Aloha... Tom

• Sitka Gear