Drake 18-Aug-09
LostInTheWoods 18-Aug-09
Drake 21-Aug-09
Drake 21-Aug-09
heartshot 21-Aug-09
21-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
We are unveiling a sweet new pack for the NICE Frame called the LONGBOW here on Bowsite (see photo above)..... It's a sleek/slim design with no frills (hence the Longbow name!). The pack is 2200 cubic inches, works directly/only with the NICE Frame..... and the bag itself weighs just 2.25 pounds....

The Longbow has a 3 Zip design that allows for top or panel loading. Six internal pockets (including 1 zippered mesh pocket) inside the main bag and a separate zippered lid pocket. The Longbow is hydration reservoir compatible and has built in hydration ports that route your water tube directly to your shoulder pad elastic.

I tested/hunted with the Prototype Longbow for 30 days last fall. I can definitely go for a week long bivi hunt with my gear and food with this pack bag. The long bow works great for the hunter/guide carrying a set of 15's, a spotter and even a couple tripods on glassing intensive hunts.

Life Size Sheep Cape and Horns..... no problem. An entire boned out Mule Deer and antlers.... no problem.

We're currently taking pre-orders for this pack. $189 is the Ballpark Pack Bag Investment. Lifetime Warranty. Interested in a first edition Mystery Ranch?

Mark

21-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo

21-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Internal pockets...

21-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Hydration ports.....

21-Apr-09
Sweet

21-Apr-09
Arwflngr~

What's your bivi pack.....?

Mark

21-Apr-09
Mark

Can you post a picture with a bow hooked onto the back. Looks like a great day pack on steroids.

21-Apr-09
looks like a great pack. what is the material?

would prefer slightly wider and less tall.

21-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
tthomas~

Sorry that took me so long.... I had to run out to the truck and grab my bow.... then it took me about 10 seconds to strap that sucker on..... and then another 10 seconds to get the photos.

Here's the shot.... hot off the camera!

Mystery Ranch Longbow pack with a compound.

Mark

21-Apr-09
Great to see you guys sponsoring the site. That pack sure looks like its capacity is greater than a certain 2200 c.i. pack I am familiar with.

21-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Kurve~

The material on the Longbow is 500 Denier Cordura. It's taller rather than wider because it's designed around sneaking through the timber, taller lends better to stalking..... remember it's fully loaded in that picture... want it to sit a little lower...??? don't fill it up and compress it with the straps. This baby is very versatile. Here's a comparison picture.... fully loaded vs. fully compressed.

Want something a little wider... check out our Big Sky or Snap Dragon packs....

21-Apr-09
Matt~

I cubed it myself.... 2200 PERFECT cubic inches.

Mark

21-Apr-09
Damn, just when I thought I was done buying packs for a while. It's no Flextech 37 Trillion but I'm afraid I may have to give it a try!

I assume it will be available in camo. Will they ship before fall?

How about giving some examples of some situations where you'd use the Longbow over your Crewcab.

21-Apr-09
Pack looks awesome!! I have a couple of questions, what colors are going to be available for this pack, how does this pack compare to the crew cab and can you haul meat or attach elk quarter on the longbow?

21-Apr-09
I bought one of Mystery Ranche's G6000 packs (recommended by Bustaribs)and that pack is hands down the most comfortable pack I have owned. I like the look of this Longbow pack, might need to purchase it for my Stone hunt in August..the fabric looks quieter than my G6000 pack. Cant go wrong with a Mystery Ranch pack guys...seriously.

Jeff Lander Primitive Outfitting

22-Apr-09
Dam I want one, why do they do this to us lol....Arwflngr pull the trigger so I can try it out, he,he.

22-Apr-09
This is my pack....How much?

22-Apr-09
The $189 is for the pack bag only right? You still need the NICE frame. What's it run?

22-Apr-09
John~

Yes. You will need a NICE Frame. Frames run $250.

Mark

22-Apr-09
A pack needs to set up high actually. Its the proper displacement of weight to maximize safety when trekking. NIce pack. So what are the advantages of this pack over an expediiton pack normally used for mountain expediitons Mark?

22-Apr-09
I guess I don't understand Arwflngr. I drop camp or drop my pack and GPS its position. The internal pack frame is plenty to carry weight.

I use the APEX system because I can detatch the main pack compartment and use the lumbar pack as a day pack.

I do not think that hunting with the pack on will give you any advantage but your the consumer and you should get what suits you.

22-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
CJ~

This pack is designed by a hunter for hunting. No frills, no extras. Built for use on the NICE Frame, this pack is specifically set up for the hunter who plans on coming home with an animal. Small and Light daypacks are great.... but when it comes to carrying the load associated with a successful hunt.... they just don't cut it!

When I'm on a Mountain Expedition.... the max loads we'll carry are 70 - 80 pounds.... while dragging a 50 pound sled... the packs we use on those trips don't incorporate the NICE Frame... usually something with a simpler frame to carry lighter loads.

The Longbow is a combination of a super light bag and a beefy strong frame... for lots of hunting situations... it's the best of both worlds.

Arwflngr~

Here's another shot of the Longbow compressed..... if you can't sneak up on something while wearing this.... it's not the pack's fault! The CC uses the NICE Frame as well.....

22-Apr-09
I should be receiving my crew cab today! If I want to get the longbow pack in the future, it can be added to my nice frame, correct? You guys are going to cost me a lot of money!

22-Apr-09
Cerec_cat~

Yes! and Yes!

If you want to pick up the Longbow in the future.... your Crew Cab can come off and the Longbow can be strapped on.... no problem. Now that you own a NICE Frame you're set.

We might cost you a bunch of money, but you'll be a stoked hunter!!! Think of the money you'll save over time.

Mark

22-Apr-09
Mark,

Could you give those of us who already have a Crew Cab a few reasons we might want to consider adding a Longbow? What are some situations for which you'd choose the Longbow over the Crew Cab.

22-Apr-09
Mark, can you post some pics on how to attach the zippered waistbelt?

22-Apr-09
Glacial21~

First off... I absolutely love my Crew Cab/Daypack Lid combo... that's a system that can do just about anything anywhere!

The Longbow is definitely a specialty hunting pack for the system... it works with a NICE Frame and solves some problems for a specific type of hunter and hunt. I use it for scouting and when I know I will be carrying specific gear for specific game/hunts and probably spending at least one night out.... the gear always stays the same... food for longer trips is the only addition to the load.

For some guys this will be a great day pack with overnight capabilities... For ultra-light guys this will be a amazing piece of equipment for your long/simple trips. A very specific design for a very specific purpose or type of hunt. The Longbow makes for an awesome companion on many of your trips... If I know I'm carrying a hindquarter, tenderloin, and backstrap from an elk, for the increased performance needed for a super-heavy load I'm using my Crew Cab... sometimes there are different "best" options when it comes to pack bags to use with your NICE Frame depending on your gear and hunt.

Here are some of the reasons why we've developed the Longbow. I drew a special draw mule deer tag. I knew I would be carrying a ton of optics and hunting a ton of days, searching for a specific deer. I needed something super easy to pack.... day in day out, and with fast and simple access.....

The Longbow design allowed me to layer in my optics/tripod and protect them with my extra winter gear. Every time I spotted a buck, I'd drop my pack and set up my 15's.... if another look was needed I'd throw on a spotting scope. I was spending a ton of time hiking into different areas to check out new deer every chance I could get... and I liked the weight/design of the Prototype Longbow and it held the optics and all the extra winter clothing better than anything else I'd ever used.

If I harvested a deer (and I didn't fill my tag coincidentally!), I could easily cache the pack with the optics to carry out a majority of the meat on trip one.... or I could've completely boned-out the deer on the mountain.... and carrying all the meat including the cape/antlers in one load could have a been an option.

Optics and other items could be packed easily on the outside with the Longbow compression system if necessary...

Hope this helps. We will have a very limited number of these packs available in July..... 30 of them. Another run will undoubtedly be scheduled, but that's it on the first run.

Mark

22-Apr-09
Mark, Thanks for the crewcab response.

One other question, I don't know how you set this up, but can I attach the load sling under and around this pack? I was thinking of situations where you want to cache the pack, as you put it and carry out super heavy meat loads. Always looking for options, that is the beauty of this system.

22-Apr-09
I'll start another thread for the ZCW's.....

Huh~

You can definitely attach a Load Sling underneath the bag... super simple system!

Mark

22-Apr-09
Perfect, thanks.

22-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
ZCW's.

1. Find the black 3/4" webbing and buckle inside the waistbelt housing... unbuckle here.

22-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
2. Separate all the layers of the velcro... the lumbar support and the waistbelt pads are now separated.

22-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
3. Take off the 2" waistbelt buckle, and slide the webbing through the 2" sliplock buckle as well.

22-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
4. Slide Waistbelt pads completely off the waistbelt webbing.

22-Apr-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
5. Waistbelt completely taken of.....

Reverse process to put a waistbelt or ZCW on.

Mark

22-Apr-09
Waistbelt completely taken OFF.... oops.

22-Apr-09
Probably a very good pack. :)

18-May-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Longbow with gear..... check out the easy access to your spotter and tripod..... or whatever gear you need quick/easy access to.

We still have around 10 available on the first production run.

Mark

18-May-09
Seacat-

What type of tripod are you using in the photo?

Also what kind of gear do you have in there (day pack or ultralight bivy)? I am trying to get an idea about the size. I got to say it does look like easy access.

18-May-09
Looks like an Outdoorsmen to me.

18-May-09

Seacat's Link
Grimes~

Matt was correct it's an Outdoorsmans tripod.... specifically the medium lightweight tripod... click the link above if you want to check it out...

The pack is just stuffed with a pad, some maps, and an unstuffed sleeping bag, tripod and spotter.

In this photo/configuration if you closed the pack completely, the volume would be just like the first couple photos in this thread..

Mark

18-May-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Here's another way of carrying your bow.... i think this method is a little better for protecting your string from branches and catching on shrubs.... keeping the string right behind you and protected as you move through the woods.... The bow doesn't move at all because of how you strap it to the pack via the compression straps going directly to the frame.... i.e. no string rub.

If you're hiking on trails in the dark or during the day, they're usually clear from obstruction. If you're off-trail during the daylight, odds are you probably have your bow in your hand...

Mark

18-May-09
Mark - check PMs. thx.

18-May-09
good looking pack, i like the internal pockets, i like the color too...better than camo

26-May-09
This pack will be available in Multicam, Foliage (gray pack pictured), Coyote Brown, and ???...... We'll see about another color very soon!!

There are still a few available in the first production run.... People are stoked!

Mark

26-May-09
How difficult is it to change packs on the Nice frame?

26-May-09
Really easy.....

I could go from a 6500, to a Crew Cab, to a Longbow, to a Load Sling in under two minutes... timed!!!

It's like anything though, it has a little bit of a learning curve, but then it's a piece of cake!

Mark

24-Jun-09
Has anyone actually used these yet? Curious how they are working for anyone who has alredy gotten one.

Mark, do you guys attend any of the trade shows? I am located in Colorado and would really like to see what the MR packs look like in person and see what all the hype is about. Who know... maybe even find the best fit for me at the same time.

24-Jun-09
Mark, Why the choice of 500 Denier Cordura? Back in the dark ages of my climbing days Kelty had some Kevlar fabric,that couldn't be dyed, they used for light weight expedition packs. I have a Kifaru ( Late season) that I have been pleased with the way it carries a load but have been mystified that neither Kifaru or Mystery Ranch has tried to get a light weight hunting pack on the market. I understand the trade off for the suspension/frame to be heavier then most packs but why not lighten up the bag? I do realize that a well built/fitted pack carries "lighter" then a one of less quality.

I do the like the modality concept of MR products and the NICE frame has moved to the front of the list on my potential wish list. Any chance of a suspension system that will not absorb water, so I can use the NICE on the bow of my pack raft?

24-Jun-09
My Longbow pack showed up yesterday. I took the crew cab off and put the longbow on in less than a minute. Very easy to swap out and man the pack looks great. Should be awesome for day hunts. It should work great for carrying camera and/or glassing equipment.

24-Jun-09
Mine came yesterday as well. It's very lightweight and looks like another great option for the NICE frame. That one frame covers it all for me now. I have 3 bags for it (6500, Crew Cab, and the Longbow). It's a cool system.

24-Jun-09
How about some photos cornfed or glacial21? Did you guys get the coyote brown. Thanks

24-Jun-09
I'll try to get some pics posted later this evening. Mine is foliage (gray).

24-Jun-09
Mark can you wear the pack while riding a quad? Meaning is there enough clearance for me to tilt my head back with out hitting the pack? My "Cheap" pack is about the same size but it is to tall to wear while riding.

24-Jun-09
Got mine today :) Like the design and weight, it will make a nice daypack-lots of room. I'm going to put it on the frame this evening and figure out where to put my camelback hydration bladder.

25-Jun-09
Cornfed/ACC please post pics. I would love to see them loaded with your stuff.

25-Jun-09

cornfed's embedded Photo
cornfed's embedded Photo
Here's a few pics. Mark has good pics of them loaded up. This is the crew cab off of the NICE frame next to the Longbow.

26-Jun-09

cornfed's embedded Photo
cornfed's embedded Photo

26-Jun-09

cornfed's embedded Photo
cornfed's embedded Photo
Here it is with a little optifade.

26-Jun-09
Thanks for the pics. I am surprised as how much room the longbow has compaired to the CC not expanded. I love it. Thanks again.

06-Jul-09
Can't let this thread leave. Any of you have have the new longbow please post any photos of how you load it. Can't wait for Seacat to put more up from his latest trips.

17-Jul-09
im pretty sure i need one!!

17-Jul-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Here's some new Longbow technology. I've worked on this design now for the better part of a year. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to field test an elk quarter with the system this past fall. Just couldn't leave my Crew Cab at home!

In this series of photos I have a Longbow, a NICE Frame, and two Load Cells (1 small, 1 large). The NICE Frame/Longbow are Coyote Brown, and to illustrate the "load" I've chosen to use Foliage Gray load cells. With luck this fall I'll post some photos of an elk hindquarter in my pack using this very methodology.

The key with this system is that you're actually removing the Longbow from the NICE Frame and then using it (the longbow w/ your gear) as you would a Load Sling. The key is to get that "load" which will be heavy, close to the frame and against your back and then re-attach the compression system of the Longbow to the frame around your quarter or meat bags....... and compress away. I'll follow up with more detailed photos of what I'm describing.

This technology was created/designed around my personal experiences with the prototype Longbow and those of a good friend of mine who has been field testing proto's while hunting Dall Sheep. We can fit all of our bivi gear for long hunts in the Longbow... but then still need to be able to attach 70# of boned out sheep meat somewhere... the meat will go in load cells between the frame and the pack. Bringing the total load to right around 100 pounds. About as heavy a load you'd ever be able to carry long distances out of the mountains.

Please give me a bit to load the rest of the images.

Thanks guys.

Mark

17-Jul-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Okay.... bottom detail photo.

You can see the load cell can be attached if you'd like to the bottom compression straps coming from the NICE Frame.

17-Jul-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Side View... tons of room for further compression... you're only limited by the amount of gear you have in the pack itself. But, because the Longbow is 2200 cubic inches, you shouldn't have too much stuff in there!

17-Jul-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Okay... getting into the nuts and bolts of the NICE Frame now... it's a pretty simple solution actually!

17-Jul-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Completely separated.

17-Jul-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Completely attached.

17-Jul-09
Thanks Mark! that pushed me over the edge for sure! Longbow on the way! whoooo... Hopefully i can send ya a pic of it with an elk quarter or so around sept. :) :) :)

17-Jul-09
I've posted this here because I think it's a cool solution. I started reading threads where guys are talking about taking along a load sling w/ the longbow. I don't think that's the best idea.

I don't want to dissuade people from buying more Mystery Ranch products, but I never want people to buy stuff they don't need to get the job done. The Load Sling has a use, the Longbow has a use, the Crew Cab has a use. Each hunter is different. Hopefully we can find the use that fits YOU best and then can help give you a better hunting experience.

Mark Mystery Ranch

17-Jul-09
Mark,

I'm sure you've been asked this, but...

did you guys ever think about having the CC's "wings" (the two long pockets running lengthwise along the pack) attach with a zipper. It seems like detachable pockets would allow for an even more versitile CC "base" model. I would think it could shave off 1.5 lbs easy if a guy wanted to day hunt without all that extra capacity (weight).

17-Jul-09
I'll admit I was skeptical after hearing the price of the bag + the price of the frame.......but after seeing it I can appreciate the design concept totally. I'm still hung up on the price though....$180+$250, ouch!

17-Jul-09
Mark I am not sure if you realized this but I am sure you did you also just increased the longbow pack size by 2350cc by putting those load cells in there. Is there any reason if a guy needed more room he couldn't just rig up like you have in the pictures and have a 4550cc pack. You could probably even though on the day pack lid and make it even bigger.

17-Jul-09
LostintTheWoods- im pretty much 100% sure you will NOT regret it! besides, they do have a lifetime warranty!

17-Jul-09
Could the daypack lid be attached to the Longbow for extra capacity?

It is hard for me to tell which attachment points on the NICE are used to attach the lid on the MR website; and equally difficult to see if there are any unused attachment points on your photos above.

I haven't seen on of these packs in person yet and I want to get a good idea about how I might use them.

Maybe I should just buy a Crew Cab and a Longbow and try packing my gear into them and see which suits me best. Funny thing, I bet I would end up keeping them both ;)

17-Jul-09
IDWapati~

I've played with exactly what you're describing, the Crew Cab isn't going to change, Dana likes the design as is!

There is a way you can take them off, but then they stay off... you'll have to trade the pro's and con's... and then do the deed yourself.

Mark

17-Jul-09
Kevsam~

Yes you could use the Daypack lid w/ a Longbow.... in lots of ways.

With our system you're virtually only limited by your personal creativity.

The majority of Longbow's purchased thus far have gone to Crew Cab loyalists who also dig the Longbow's design.

Mark

17-Jul-09
CG: yes, I'm sure I wouldn't. I just have to fiqure out which kidney to donate, that's it. :) Maybe next season. I have a Badlands 2200 that's going to have have fill the bill this season. I was going to try to make a run at the Sitka Bivy....but then I see all this nonsense! LOL. I'm glad someone is always pushing the bill and making USEFUL gear. I just can't always partake of the goods when I'd like. Kudos to MR for making some good looking gear. Thanks Seacat for posting this.

BTW, Seacat, can the NICE frame be adapted to a pack I already have, like my 2200 pack?

17-Jul-09
i hear ya lost... i sold another pack i had and decided against a couple other things to justify it for myself. ;) and yes i agree with you- THANKS MARK & MR for the complete "AWESOMENESS" of the products and new developments!

17-Jul-09
LostinTheWoods~

For sure... carry your Badlands 2200 inside a Crew Cab for best performance.

Sorry... couldn't pass up the humor on a hot Friday afternoon.

CritterGetter~

No problem! That's what we do!

Mark

17-Jul-09
Thats funny. Last year I had a BL 2200 and i broke when I was packing out a hind quarter. This year I have the Crew Cab and I know it will handle more than I can.

The fun part is taking all your gear and figuring out the best way (for you) to pack it.

17-Jul-09
I'm sold. Mark, would you actually bring the load cells in to your hunt and fill them will the meat, or just use your meat bags to put the meat into them? I like this concept because you could load other stuff like stuff sacks/sleeping bag/air pad the same way.

17-Jul-09
Mark, a few questions:

How would this pack work with bivy gear for 3-4 days, then adding in 50-60 lbs of boned out mule deer meat with horns strapped on top?

What is the weight savings of this setup versus the CC?

Are there any straps that go, or can go, over the top?

18-Jul-09
I like it.....any way to add zippered pouch (top back to Longbow lid)to include a retractable hood/straps to be pulled over the load cells or meat when the Longbow is expanded away?

Lighter frame too? Shelf at bottom like CC so it quick/easy to expand and gives added support to meat load/load cells?

I sound like my wife....

18-Jul-09
radams~

We'll make some custom straps just for that purpose of going over the top. The weight savings is close to two pounds.... but they're really different beasts all together and comparing them for weight isn't as applicable as comparing them based on actual uses.

Genesis~

Why do think the Frame needs to be lighter....? It's absolutely bomb proof gear for folks that need bombproof gear. If it's not light enough for your tastes I would suggest the Big Sky or the upcoming new "Bighorn" pack. The Bighorn will be our 2800-3000 cubic inch "HUNTING SPECIFIC" pack with a fiberglass X-Frame it'll be around 5 pounds and change and carry 80 pound loads when necessary...

Mark.

19-Jul-09
sent you a PM mark

-B

20-Jul-09
Is it fair to say that this pack could be an honest 4500 cu-in with the load cell's added to the mix?

20-Jul-09
What's the story with the Bighorn, Mark? Are we looking at next year on that design?

20-Jul-09
Could not wait any longer, so I pulled the trigger. Thanks Mark for the extra information today on the phone. Can't wait to get it and take it out to try some different load options. I'll post some photos. Matt

22-Jul-09
Could anyone with a new longbow post some pics of a more awkward/heavy load between the bag and frame?

Mark you sold me with those pics, thats the idea I've been waiting for! And I sent you a PM.

12-Aug-09

Drake's Link
IDWapiti-

The Bighorn will be ready to ship mid September, not quite in time for the archery opener. It is based off the Big Sky body panel. We've added internal pockets, thicker stays, and bottom compression straps. The thicker stays will increase the weight capacity to about 80 pounds.

Next Monday Mystery Ranch is going live with a new website. You'll have to check it out. Also, starting this Saturday, you can view clips from Mark's Utah elk hunt at outdoorlife.com/livehunt

Drake

12-Aug-09
Do you have any photos of the pack yet, Drake?

18-Aug-09

Drake's Link
Sorry to all who are waiting to see the new Mystery Ranch website. We're hoping to get it up and running in the next few days.

Also, attached is the link to Mark Seacat's Utah elk hunt on Outdoorlife...

18-Aug-09
Drake: PM sent.

21-Aug-09
IDWapiti-

I've been searching for our one sew sample, unfortunately its in one of our contract sewers hands...

Just imagine a Big Sky in coyote, foliage, or multicam with autolock buckles, bottom compression straps, beefier framing, and internal pockets identical to the Longbow.

Drake

21-Aug-09

Drake's Link
IDWapiti-

I just got the update on the Big Horn. They should be ready to ship in 3 weeks.

Check out the new Mystery Ranch website, it went live this morning!!!

21-Aug-09
could somebody please buy me this?

• Sitka Gear