xt deerslayer 04-Jun-09
fuzzy 05-Jun-09
preacherman 03-Aug-09
bow hunter 2009 31-Aug-09
EZ-DRAW 21-Sep-09
EZ-DRAW 21-Sep-09
18-May-09

nijimasu's Link
I figured a none of the above would be better- all impact points seemed awfully low from a treestand.

Dougepooo (I can't believe I just typed that)this is the big article on the front page. the link will take you there.

18-May-09
How do I get to the next question? I did the first question but it wouldn't let me click on the next question?

18-May-09
Never mind, I just reread and noticed it said "new clues will be added daily", Isaac, your such an idiot! lol

18-May-09
"figured a none of the above would be better- all impact points seemed awfully low from a treestand."

AMEN

19-May-09
I thought none of the above was the best answer I'd like to see the front leg move forward and the shots shown seem low for a tree stand

19-May-09
""figured a none of the above would be better- all impact points seemed awfully low from a treestand."

AMEN "

Guys....FYI...the heart and lower lungs sit right behind the elbow. The deer's chest is 4-6" lower then the elbow....Killer shot from a tree stand. This is a common mistake and one of the reasons many hunters aim/shoot high.

19-May-09

19-May-09
None of the above. Shoot the fawn.

19-May-09
None of the above. Two fawns w/o momma doesn't set well with folks who do not understand hunting (just my opinion). However, B would be a killer shot.

19-May-09
"None of the above. Two fawns w/o momma doesn't set well with folks who do not understand hunting (just my opinion)."

For these same folks having two fawns and a doe plastered against the front of the vehicle with thousands of dollars in damage and possibly even someone getting hurt doesn't set well either... And even better yet, for some of these same people it doesn't set well when two fawns and Ms. doe are showing ribs late in the winter and come into their yard and clip the shrubs down. C'mon!!! Shoot the doe and then work down the ladder taking out one or both of the fawns!

This PC crap is getting old.

19-May-09
Got 1 so far last time that was about it .

19-May-09
This sucks they just cut out the vidios at work have to wait till I get home now .

19-May-09
So far so good, 9 pts. each! Not going to be an easy tracking job. What type BH was used?

19-May-09
These are very interesting. I got clue 2 wrong as I answered "probably guts" as there is no way to know 100% for sure if we clipped something else and there are no guarantees until you find the animal or arrow. What the arrow looks like etc so I answered probably....and once again...I thought to long about it and did myself in ;)

19-May-09
Even though B is the best answer, aiming about 3"-4" above where B is pointing is a much better option. If you were on the ground, B is perfect, not so much from a treestand and steep angle. You'd still kill the deer, but wow is that a low hit.

Let her lay for 6-8 hours and go get her. She won't go far.

19-May-09
HerdManager...the way I see it is the last leaf hanging down is about where the spine is, find the middle between the leaf and the bottom of the deer which would be center body, I don't see aiming 4"higher would be better. That would make the entrance above center....either way the deer would expire quickly.

Clue 2 was a gimmie...there is a hint to question 2.

The BH looked like a muzzy.

19-May-09
B is a recipe for a one lunger, much too low for a shot that close from a tree stand. I stand by "none of the above", for which I got exactly zero poinst. Looks like quite a few of you guys agree with me. I must admit I have tracked this shot a few times, so maybe that influences me. Usually get them several hours later or not at all.

19-May-09
Duke, We live in a PC world and often hunt next door to people who do not particularly have an opinion one way or the other until they see something that turns them off. A happy landowner one minute that a doe is gone to never eat their shrubs again, and an upset landowner the next when they realize there are two orphan fawns.

I do not feel that way myself, never said I agreed with the "PC crap" that your so tired of, but the "challenge" went in depth to explain the "residential" nature of the hunt. I'd whack her in a heartbeat and have in the past.

19-May-09
Looks like a hit just in front of the hip. Wont be an easy tracking job. I personally wouldnt have posted the video. I can see how it has its benefits, learning to track a deer with a less than perfect shot, but its also showing a bowhunter gut shooting a deer with thousands of people watching. Folks "flame" TV shows for showing that kinda stuff. Atleast there was no bragging about how great the shot was when it wasnt. Good luck on the trackin.

19-May-09
I don't know why I always do these silly things. They irritate me, especially when the correct answer to #2 is "definitely guts". How can one be "definitive" about a hit by watching it on a computer screen and not having the benefit of being there, or checking the arrow or the ground where the deer was standing when hit? Oh well, whatever. At least I got 3 points for that one.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with this one. Most of us have probably made a less than ideal shot at one point or another. This sort of thing is good education that might be the difference for somebody in the field finding or loosing a gut-shot deer at some point.

19-May-09
I SERIOUSLY protest the answer to #1. All of the shot choices are too low; Pat, you've got to make these a bit more "realistically fair".

20-May-09
For all those that say B is to low...prove to me where the heart is in relation to B.

20-May-09
Are we seriously to the point of whining over a for fun tracking challenge? Don't like it? Don't participate in the GAME.

I missed number two as I gave the kid the benefit of the doubt with, probably guts, although I knew it was definitely guts.

20-May-09
This is the way these discussions always go. I think most of it is light hearted. So, if you don't like the discussion don't follow it. LOL

20-May-09

Bowbender's embedded Photo
Bowbender's embedded Photo
Thank Woody Sanford for this amazing picture. Answer B is NOT to low. I would take that shot in a heartbeat.

20-May-09
me too jeff

20-May-09
OMG can't you guys read NO WHINING!!! B is a pefect aiming point when shootin from a treestand. You aim where you want the arrow to come out not go in. When shooting from a treestand you will hit a bit higher,so that aiming point is 100% perfect.

20-May-09
If you are good enough to hit exactly B, you might hit the heart, but considering the angle from the trestand and the distance from point B on the deer's outside to the heart on the inside, I remain convinced that point B is too low of an aiming point. Might work from ground level, but not from a tree. Two great a chance for a one lung hit. Plus, it doesn't look like the archer in the video should be giving away his margin for error. I know I don't. About three inches higher puts you in the middle of the lungs.

20-May-09
Hey, look at that. I've got 27 points so far. The best I've ever done. I think the reason is my first and only deer so far was gut shot. After that tracking job I should do pretty good at this one! :) Thanks Pat.

Jeremy

20-May-09
I think the term "margin of error" is the same as saying..." i can't hit what i aim at often" lol

B is the perfect shot. YOU JUST HAVE TO HIT IT!!!!!

20-May-09
It clearly asks: Choose the best shot from these choices. Thats all so choose! Next, No Whining. Be grateful that you are able to participate in a fun challenge! If you don't like it, don't participate. It's that simple!

20-May-09
It's an honor to meet a guy who hits everything in the heart.

20-May-09
I think most experienced and competent whitetail deer bowhunters would choose "B" as their aiming point, based on a thourough knowlege of internal anatomy, and whitetail deer behavior. The rest of them just shoot for center of lungs and pray they don't hit "the void" ;-)

20-May-09
Lets really make this interesting.......

What's "the void"????? HeHe

20-May-09
hobbes, "the void" (as I am sure you already know) is a mythical area inside the ribcage/diaphragm, but through which a broadhead-equipped arrow can pass without cutting or damaging lung-tissue..... deer hit here normally bleed well for 100 to 200 yards, then stop, presumably, after that, they are either abducted by alien spacecraft, or eaten completely hair, horn, hide and all by a bigfoot, chupacapra, werewolf, or other mythical creature....I have personally never manage to hit a deer in the void area, every time I aim high or shoot too high, I've always made either a high-miss, a spine hit, or the arrow passed non-fatally through skin and muscle above the backbone... but some folks can pull it off, and kudos to them! ;-)

20-May-09
from the link y'all clicked on to enter the IABT#27

"Play at your own Risk Have Fun, and NO WHINING!"

20-May-09
"abducted by alien spacecraft, or eaten completely hair, horn, hide and all by a bigfoot, chupacapra, werewolf, or other mythical creature"

fuzzy, I'm not sure if the tears in my eyes are from laughter or the dust from someone mowing outside.

20-May-09
There will always be whiners. Whine away. Mike

20-May-09
Geez what a bunch of whiners!!! I always aim for the top of the heart on a broadside deer, any drop in the deer from the bow going off should still result in a solid lung shot and hit a little high, your still good, way low and you miss! But Pat, come on, what's with the Slicktrick???? :) Mark

20-May-09
Maybe he was tired of the same old Muzzy commercial on his website. He he ;)

20-May-09
im not complaining but i would have waited for her to move take a step forward but if i couldnt be patient i would have shot b

20-May-09
Thanks for posting the pic Bowbender. Many fail to realize just how low the heart is on deer.

20-May-09
T8,

Woody Sanford posted that pic on another thread. Saved it as it is an invaluable tool to show deer anatomy. From twenty feet up and a twenty yard shot the angle at Answer B is about 18 degrees or so. Lil high, thru the lungs, lil low bottom of the heart. How much margin of error do you need?

20-May-09
dang 100% so far i wish my final tomorrow had a blood trail challenge oh yea i really should be studying

21-May-09
Didn't understand the question for 4.

21-May-09
I guess I didnt read clue 4 very well, I thought the diagram for point 4 was a plowed field. Didnt quite understand where you where going with that one. Answer makes sense.

21-May-09
ruger and saxon, I also found the question incomprehensible, although the answer is quite sound. No whining here!

21-May-09
I also agree with the answer, but was tripped up that point 4 was only 100 yards from the stand. I thought we were supposed to select the most likely area she would have ended up at and was sure that she went more than 100 yards.

21-May-09
I wanted to comment on the orphaned fawn posts earlier in the thread. Does begin weaning their fawns at 4 weeks and usually have them fully weaned by 10 weeks of age. If they've lost their spots they are certainly weaned (as in this case). If your goal is to reduce the herd (as in the case of this urban hunt) the adult doe is the deer to shoot - in high herd density areas very few of the fawns will breed their first fall but the adult does certainly will. Take out a fawn = 1 less deer, take out the adult doe = 2 to 3 less deer the following year. I also seriously doubt many of the landowners would realize the fawns were orphaned.

Just my .02

Lee

21-May-09
I guess I assumed that you knew there was no blood because you had already looked in the area near the stand. And yes I would like some cheese with my wine.

21-May-09
Knowing it was a gut shot and knowing there was water nearby, not knowing how the question was stated before being rephrased I STILL would have head down the path of least resistance straight towards the water. I'll be shocked if thats not where its found in the end.

21-May-09
0 on question #4, looks like I thought of where the doe would end up, thought you already checked the surrounding area

21-May-09
TODY I thought the same thing sounded like they looked didnt find blood so I went for water with the stomah shot ,pat I thought you said no trick questions.You always start fron the begining .still crying .

21-May-09
Lee, I understand the benfits of shooting the doe over the fawns and that the fawns are weaned by that time (although I've seen fawns nursing w/o spots in October). I only expressed where I thought the question was going since the neighborhood issue was stressed. I wasn't whining either, I was only making a statement.

I do believe that one thing hunters and nonhunters do take note of is a doe w/ fawns. And it doesn't take much for nonhunters to think fawns are orphaned even when not, since they are commonly "rescued" because they lost momma. Also, since we are discussing it, I believe fawns learn quite a bit from momma that goes beyond nursing. They may be run off during her cycle, but rejoin soon after (at least the doe fawns do).

With that, I've shot quite a few does w/fawns from Oct. through Dec., so I'm not against shooting them.

21-May-09
I'm right with ya JTV.....but my wife is happy cause she figured out the grid thing and got it right. Now she's rubbing it in that she got one and I didn't. It's just not fair. I think I'd like some swiss cheese now please....Jeff

21-May-09
Wheeee.... 4 for 4. If I ever shoot a first deer with my bow, I might be able to track it.

21-May-09
Wahooo! 4 for 4 :) I always do what some one else said on these games and second guess myself.

These dang "games" are fun - but drive me nuts :) it's hard to do this stuff without "being there"...

21-May-09
as to the orphaned fawn 'thing' - I have seen elk still nursing in April of the year after they were born; and I once saw a 6 year old horse reaching through a fence to nurse its mother - that had produced 3 other young since he was born. Fawns may nurse past a couple months old - but its not necessary for them to. Even humans nurse their young to six years old and beyond. In fact I probably would get invited to my high school reunions if I hadn't gotten thirsty at the graduation ceremony. * More meat on the bigger doe.

* ha ha ha ha - just kidding :)

22-May-09
I think everyone thought number 4 was the obvious answer, but number 1 was a quick check in a small corridor and number 4 was always still there as your next option, no whining just an opinion

22-May-09
there are wonderful benefits of the these trailing games and none is greater than the enjoyment that comes out of the posts from guys who actually get exercised over a wrong answer.

the other benefit is the learning that takes place by understanding the correct answers. things that one never would have thought of are shared for future application.

take question 4 as a prime example. up until now who would have thought that the best place to start looking for sign was close to the impact site. it's a revolutionary concept that should change recovery rates in bowhunting wherever the sport is practiced

Thanks for bringing this type of real life learning to our desktops!

22-May-09
I have to admit user error. I hit the submit button before selecting!

22-May-09
Was the young mans bow sited in correctly. A major miss at such a short appearing distance.

22-May-09
While less than an ideal hit i would wager with confidence in finding the deer. Your young fella' probably had a hard time sleeping that night. Although I might have to be willing to get a little wet (but I doubt that).

The only time I can recall having trouble finding a gut shot deer (when it was clearly a gutshot) is in extremely hard country (like the brush country of Texas) where you can't make much headway.

Good game!!!

22-May-09
A glove on the shooting hand (to let it slide and reduce bow torque - and better camo) and lowering the draw weight - would likely give much better results in the future.

I still think the answer to clue 1 is none of the above. Especially knowing the hunter vs camera location.

22-May-09
ARGH!!! I didnt read all four options in the answer menu and thus answered wrong!

Details dang it... Details!

22-May-09
I over thought a question like usual!! I love these things!

22-May-09
wow axctually got number 5

22-May-09
Two drops? There are Four good ones which form a pretty nice pattern.....hmmmm. In reality I would flag and follow slowly the overriding direction. If I didn't see any more blood in the next 20 yards then go back and start the grid again. Bummer - but still doing pretty good so far.

22-May-09
So who has a perfect score so far?

23-May-09
This is the best I've ever done. I really think I've got this gut shot thing down. Boy, I feel strangely better having admitted that...

Jeremy

23-May-09

LONGBOWKID's embedded Photo
LONGBOWKID's embedded Photo
Theres a moderate amount of blood in the picture. Not just one tiny drop on a rock....

23-May-09
"Was the young mans bow sited in correctly. A major miss at such a short appearing distance"

Pretty arrogant. I remember when I was 3 for 3 on p&Y whitetail shots. I made stupid statements like this too. Then I missed and became mortal. To all the superheros out there......good luck, Kryptonite is everywhere in bowhunting.

24-May-09
I have a poor score and only have myself to blame. Note to self: read all the answers and then answer. I did not even see choice 4 in the first search location question. I am glad it was made clear no coyotes were lurking. It would have made the when to track question more interesting.

24-May-09
So we choose from 4 pictures; one has something significant in it; that we are to figure out.

Two pictures are almost identical; the blood is the same color; the thickness of the blood is the same; the pattern is the same.

One picture has something different; there is water in it; and the blood is now lighter; less thick. Did the deer reach the water and drink; and loose more blood?

Another picture has a hunter in it; and possibly a log a rock; or maybe even a dead deer.

Now to get the 9 points; you figure out which picture tells you more.

24-May-09
"So who has a perfect score so far?"

Damn!!! I do!!! I do reasonably well on these but never get them perfect AND always learn a lot!!!!

This one just works for me (probably more because there are no tricks to it (I'm a very simple man!!!).

regards to all from Canada!

24-May-09
The photo allegedly containing the deer does not enlarge and there is absolutely no way to tell if the gray blob in the right lower quadrant is a deer, rock or log. And with one question to go logic is against it since in all prior challenges you find the deer on the last clue. Photo B however has 1, the most blood, 2. the freshest blood, was obviosly the last made and would be closest to wounded deer. Plus it clearly contains either a blown out blood clot, fecal pellets or both, indicating a worsening situation for the doe. This may be a whine but I still think my choice is correct.

24-May-09
I did not see the deer. I thought there was going to be some blood reading lesson. I thought I was going to learn something. I learned that I cannot pic dead eer out of a photo.

25-May-09
I learn a lot from these also, but I did not figure that actually finding the deer would be a "clue".

25-May-09
HMM! i picked 1 on question 5 based on the blood splatter ( it indicated the direction of travel ) and got 3 points ! then find out on question 6 that that is indeed where the deer went! still trying to figure that one out ! i really enjoy these things but im finding out that it is not about the correct way its trying to figure out how they done it !right or wrong !

25-May-09
Wow, first time I got them all right. Time to go buy lottery tickets. Nice blood trail (or lack thereof) competition.

25-May-09
Fliger so you say on any blood trail that as soon as you find blood for get looking for the next spot of blood and go where you think the deer is? No you keep lookin for the next spot of blood and go from there.

25-May-09
yes i agree ! but you can bet im gonna look in the direction the deer is obviously traveling , i wouldnt start looking to the right when the blood says he went left , just saying i should have gotten more than 3 points , i was headed in the right direction ! i have done enough of these on here to know the only correct answer is the one they chose ! every thing else is wrong !

25-May-09
Rat's missed the last one.......... Whodafigured all that was hit?!?!?1 8^)

25-May-09
I'll take swiss cheese with my wine because that picture in number 5 is a joke to call it a deer. Blow it up as big as you want and it just turns to a blur. Pure d#$% luck to get that one.

25-May-09
That's number 7, not 5 by the way.

25-May-09
That's the best one so far. I got them all right except I thought it clipped the stomach.

25-May-09
Define stomach:

In a ruminant, the stomach is comprised of 4 components: the Rumen, the reticulum, the omasum and the abomasum. However, some people refer to the first three as the "forestomach". In other words they come before the abomasum.

Now the abomasum is also called the "true" stomach because it does the same function as our stomach.

How are you defining "stomach"? I was defining it to include the Rumen as "stomach" and not "intestine". Intestines are anything behind the real stomach and the above mentioned components are all in front of the abomasum.

Did the arrow actually miss the rumen? If it did, he really barely missed it because it basically takes up the entire left flank area.

Anyway, you gave me partial credit, so I can't "whine"!!!

Fun, one! Came closer to aceing this one than any so far.

26-May-09
As much as I hate to see shots which don't go as planned, this is one of the best challenges I've seen so far, mainly because it shows that these deer can be recovered with persistence and some tracking knowledge. I too have, unfortunately, made similar shots but have been fortunate to recover them by spending lots of time on the trail and not giving up.

Congratulations to Pat Jr. for the deer!

Pat, how long did it take to find the deer once you started trailing?

26-May-09
Dang it, the last one got me!

I always seem to miss the "what did it hit" question!

26-May-09
I chose photo C in #7 not because I saw the deer, but because of the hunter in the picture. I thought he could have pushed the deer somewhere else away from site 1. I got lucky and got it right I guess.

26-May-09
this was my first perfect score, go figure! (maybe b/c I am red-green color blind, so a "no blood" blood trail is my cuppa joe! LOL!)

27-May-09
"I have to admit user error. I hit the submit button before selecting!"

Yup me too, O blew two questions that way, one not understanding what I was doing one just being darn click happy...

Great quizz Pat...

27-May-09
27 Blood Trail Challenges and my first Ace.

Does this mean.....

1. I'm learning the reasoning and logic of the master Pat? (I doubt that's possible)

2. I'm an expert on gut hits? (I hope not)

3. I got lucky on a couple of questions?

Hint: luck and anything related to bowhunting often collide.

27-May-09
Thanks for the bloodtrail Pat. That was a nice size doe. Congratulation to you son. Not too many whinners. Mike

28-May-09
well I did my best ever but i would have sworn there was food on the arrow but I guess there was no Fresh green undigested chunkage wow a 69 congrats and good job on teaching the boy how to WAIT .

04-Jun-09
photo 3 has stumic on it how can the last answer be intestines?

05-Jun-09
hey fellas, in ungulates, small intestines contain green "chunky" matter.... and the pic shows gut, not stomach, IMO ;-)

03-Aug-09
You need make sure the video link opens up to the right video

31-Aug-09
this game is so conpusing and i hunted for 4 years and i still dont get it!!!!

21-Sep-09
I chose the correct photo {C} but did not get credit for the answer, anyone else have this happen. computers dont figure. new member to the site enjoy the interaction & info.

21-Sep-09
well missed question #2 & #8 as stated before did not get credit for the photo question. oh well what ya gonna do. I think next time i will answer the question thats in front of me and not think ahead as i did. doesnt seem to help in answering the qustions. it is what it is. a learning tool and fun!

• Sitka Gear