Txnrog 27-Jul-09
Txnrog 27-Jul-09
Txnrog 27-Jul-09
Txnrog 27-Jul-09
Txnrog 27-Jul-09
switchback33 27-Jul-09
DENNISomfs 27-Jul-09
17-Jul-09
Well, It's been a little while uploading photos, but my father and I got back a little over a week ago, and had a great trip. Africa isn't always a gimme, and we really struggled the first 5-6 days of the 10 day trip. Can't fault the outfitter, the setups were some of the best I've seen, but the weather was horrible, we had a front come in and sit on top of us and it was cold and rainy. And the range was still very green - not the best for sitting waterholes. My shooting had some room for improvement too.

I did spot and stalk for the first couple days, and had numerous close calls, but after wounding a black springbok on day 1 due to poor range estimation, I shrunk my effective range significantly.

We spent the next 2 days hunting Kudu over oranges, pretty entertaining to watch a kudu eat an orange. Weather and wind didn't cooperate, and while we had a number of cows and 'Harleys' (Curl and a half) bulls, the big boys stayed back in the brush.

Spent the next 2 days hunting bushbuck on a large ranch near the Wild Coast and had a blast. Spot & stalk morning and evening, sitting water during the middle of the day. Dad had over 30 bushbuck come into his waterhole tucked away in the bush, but none presented a good shot (they drank on the far side of the water) once we brushed it in, it spooked the bushbuck. I on the otherhand had a blast stalking them, and had a few come into water, including one 13 in ram with only a couple front teeth remaining that gave me the shot I needed. 50 yrds and he was down.

I also hunted bushpig on that ranch and that was probably the most exciting hunt of the trip. Stalking in on bait in your socks at night with bushpigs feeding was a kick in the pants. Got my shot, but due to some mis-cues on the lighting, and a rushed shot, spent the next day crawling 2 miles thru pig tunnels in the thickest brush you could imagine. Pig had a sore shoulder, but apparently none the worse for the wear. I actually had an encounter with him later in the hunt, but that's a different story.

Spent the last part of the hunt on the home ranch (Imvani), the weather broke, and we started to stack up the trophies. I ended up with a nice Black Wildebeest, Zebra, and a world-beater red hartebeest that should be top 10 if I decide to have it officially scored. Dad ended up with a fallow, blesbok, zebra, black wildebeest and a big male baboon. I can only imagine what it would have been like if the weather had cooperated for the whole hunt. This ranch is loaded with game, and I had a true parade of black wildebeest bulls come in after I shot mine - definately tempted me to shoot another, there were some monsters.

The hunt was put together by Gary Sutton of Imvani Safaris, a low-volume outfit that doesn't advertise much over here, but he put together a great hunt. We were referred to him by a friend who lives over there and he knows his bowhunting. He has some awesome setups, has limited the water available on his place (drained old dams and fenced in a couple holes back in the bush). Most waterholes have 2 hides on each to be able to play the wind, and you could practically live in his pit blinds. Would definately recommend it to anyone looking to go over on a strictly bowhunting trip. Accomodations were in an 1800's farm house that has been renovated, and an additional laupa built outside. Family run outfit, and good people. Pictures to follow.

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
My Black Wildebeest

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
A little bit of the terrain - Reminded me alot of West Texas with some thicker brush. Fairly large hills with flat brushland and open parks in between.

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Dad's fallow - not much on palms, but he was on the way down.

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Zebra Stallion

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Another one of the zebra

17-Jul-09
nice bull congrats cant waite to see more pics

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Aloes in bloom - these were all over the ranch. The hill in the back is a really distinct landmark of the ranch that you can see for probably 20 miles.

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
AN old homestead on the ranch at dawn

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Cape Bushbuck - really light colored for a cape bushbuck, but he was really old. Cape was almost hairless and missing most his front teeth.

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Another one of the bushbuck. If I could just hunt bushbuck and kudu every time I go over, I'd be happy.

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Found this randomly sitting in a road on one of my stalking excursions, thought it was pretty appropriate. . .

17-Jul-09
Congratulations on a great hunt, and a fabulous bushbuck!

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
My Red Hartebeest - I had no intentions of shooting one, but one thing I have learned on these hunts is you take the opportunities that present themselves. This turned out to be my best trophy of the trip, and one of my best african trophies overall.

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Sunset on the last day of the hunt. Picture doesn't do it justice. I was stalking bushbuck again, and when I saw this, I had to just sit down and enjoy the beauty God created. Great end to the hunt.

17-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo

17-Jul-09
Awsome !!! I hope i get in some bushbuck and bushpig hunting myself.

17-Jul-09
Nice! Looks like you had a great trip!

17-Jul-09
Thanks for posting up the pictures. I have bush buck on my hit list on this trip. Man you are really fortunate to have seen so many of those dudes. Most people won't see 30 bush bucks in their lifetime...much less on one sitting.

17-Jul-09
Congrats on a great trip! Great photos.

17-Jul-09
Thanks for sharing. The Cape bushbuck with dark coats can rival nyala. Got a 12 incher, and had to pass on a great male ( quota met ) for the concession . he was as good if not better than an nyala for a mount.

Eastern Cape also has waterfowl hunting,snow and we had white rhino around the lodge we stayed in eating rose bushes. The Jack Russels would run down and bark at the rhino, but were ingnored. Place also had 350 Cape Buff that were never hunted, and I saw one in 18 days!

17-Jul-09
Thanks for sharing. The Cape bushbuck with dark coats can rival nyala. Got a 12 incher, and had to pass on a great male ( quota met ) for the concession . he was as good if not better than an nyala for a mount.

Eastern Cape also has waterfowl hunting,snow and we had white rhino around the lodge we stayed in eating rose bushes. The Jack Russels would run down and bark at the rhino, but were ingnored. Place also had 350 Cape Buff that were never hunted, and I saw one in 18 days!

17-Jul-09
We wanted to do some bird hunting, and had some spots to do so, but with the struggles we had early on due to weather, it limited our options. All the animals we took (with the exception of the bushbuck) came in during the last 4 days of the hunt. Had the weather been a bit better, I'm pretty confident we would have had time to play around a bit.

17-Jul-09
Great bushbuck

17-Jul-09
Very nice photos and all great trophies. That is a really fine Red Hartebeest, and I really like your old Cape Bushbuck. If you saw many other black wildebeest, that were bigger, I would be surprised since your's is a dandy. Congrats! Wish I was going back this year. :(

17-Jul-09
cool! Thanks for the photos!

17-Jul-09
Nice trophies, thanks for sharing.

nd

19-Jul-09
Very Nice!!! Congrats

www.albinovest.com

20-Jul-09
very nice - congrats on fine trophies and thanks for the write up and pic's.

20-Jul-09
Great trophies! Especially the bushbuck.

I was stuck in that same cold while hunting in the northern Cape at the end of June. Not very nice but it sure beats sitting in the office.

21-Jul-09
Roger..congrats on a great BB and hartebeest!! The BB is the one that has eluded me and is highest on my next hit list....dennis

21-Jul-09
I'm quite jeleous of the bush buck. What a beauty. I am extremely interested in that species, and plan to hunt them hard on my next trip.

27-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Just got ahold of a couple of my Dad's photos. Here's his Zebra

27-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Dad's Blesbok

27-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Baboon

27-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
Dad's Black Wildebeest. . . I think he beat me a bit. . .

27-Jul-09

Txnrog's embedded Photo
Txnrog's embedded Photo
BTW, Dad's Shooting a 52lb Hoyt Magnatec with about 360 grn arrows, and spitfire XP 100's. He doesn't shoot much, but is very careful about the shots he takes and is a great shot. His rig worked great. Dad's 72 and just started shooting a bow 4 years ago. It's never too late to start!

27-Jul-09
Congrats to both of you on a great hunt.

27-Jul-09
you guys really did well...those black "devil beests" are great!! Congrats,too, to your dad...hope all of us can follow in his footsteps!

• Sitka Gear