fen tiger 25-Jul-09
fen tiger 26-Jul-09
joebuck 03-Aug-09
joebuck 07-Aug-09
chisler 12-Aug-09
joebuck 18-Aug-09
buff1 14-Oct-10
20-Jul-09
Love it! I suspected, and hoped, thtat this was what the "surprise" was. Very timely.

20-Jul-09
I think this is a very informative and eye opening feature. My only question is how much does muscle tension play a factor in penetration? An animal that is flexing and responding to a threat will have tightened his muscles and I imagine that would put extra drag on the arrow.

I'm obviously being tedious here, but just wondering.

20-Jul-09
Way cool, thanx for sharing!

The kill shot split rib kinda had a "s" type slit...hmmm...8^)

BTW - (jokingly) I was waiting any moment for a hungry lion to come charging out of those weeds unexpectedly while the coroners were preoccupied in their autopsy...8^)

21-Jul-09
The shoulder blade shot was impressive

But maybe you should have shot a light fast arrow with either a short 4 blade or mech head since so many guys shoot this type of equipment.

Or did you and you aren't letting on ;)

21-Jul-09
Pat,

fantastic research/experimenting!

How sigficant would the perfomance have been if you were shooting 80lbs with a 27" draw?

Your opinion on that would be appreciated.

Thanks Dox

21-Jul-09
Excellent Pat. Thanks for taking the time to do the follow up testing; it was very informative.

Your set up proved the beauty of a 2-blade coc double bevel broadhead combined with a heavy arrow. Now you need to work on your elk jinx next!

21-Jul-09
I think a well tuned arrow means makes a huge difference also.

21-Jul-09
This was very informative; not just for the guys who want to do a cape buffalo, but for anyone considering heavily boned game.

Thanks!

21-Jul-09
That's awesome. I never thought any broadhead could center a rib on an animal like that and penetrate all the way through the animal. Or go through that shoulder blade. Unreal.

21-Jul-09
Very cool, thanks for the info.

How much difference would a single bevel make compared to a double bevel?

Just curious.

21-Jul-09
In the testing, the skin was removed. I know that on Australian buff, the skin is very thick. On the Cape buff how thick is it and would this have influenced the penetration tests given the fact that it would have increased drag

21-Jul-09
Wondered when someone was going to bring up the skin...

21-Jul-09
The shoulder blade test is incredible. If you didn't film it, I'd never believe you could shoot through a cape buffalo shoulder blade and bust the rib on the far side. I Wonder where all the Ashby groupies are now?

21-Jul-09
...and giraffe is another with thick skin!! Pat, you did a good job on repeating (somewhat) a study we did about 8 years ago using 100+ draw wt. and 600+ grs of BH/arrow....what we did different was to use various BH's that we brought on the trip...of interest was the fact that the only two BH's that penetrated both sides at 20 yds was the 210 gr Steelforce and (brace yourself), the 125 gr Rocket Steelhead ! Many penetrated one side and some (including the venerable old muzzy...WT version) crushed like a beer can! I think the test you did is indeed useful information...now if someone will do a slo-mo like the limbsaver folks did with emphasis on the BH maintaining their integrity......

21-Jul-09
EXCELLENT!!!

Just shows how lethal a bow and arrow can be.

21-Jul-09
"Wonder where all the Ashby groupies are now?"

In all truthfulness, there is no way of knowing if an "exact" dimensions and weigh Phantom (only ground single bevel) would have preformed to a double bevel. - only if Pat had the connections to have had Muzzy grind a single bevel would we know which bevel outperformed or indifference in penetration.

So it's comparing apples to oranges on the bevel issue and the debate continues...8^)

21-Jul-09
Great Job Pat, Congratulations for your Buff!

I never killed a Cape, but they are very similars in bone structure and tissue to the water Buffalos we have over here.. We have tested many diferent arrow/broadheads combinations to get the best penetreation possible and good killing shots, and we also share the idea that best arrows are heavy ones with 2 blades broadheads. That's what we allways recomend to our clients..

(we have also kill Buff with mecanicals or light weight arrows ,under 400grs.. but when shot arent perfect with those arrows you olny get wounded animals)

Weight and good broadheads are the key to get a clean kill in heavy animals.. but why u deside to go over a 1000 grs if you can get great penetration (almost the same you got with your arrow) with a 750-800grs arrow (and have much more speed, crucial for a good arrow placement)?

Congratulations again!! BR SANTIAGO ROSSI - ARGENTINA

www.bowhuntinginargentina.com

21-Jul-09
The test proves one thing...arrow speed isn't all its cracked up to be. Arrow weight, thats another story.

Thanks for sharing Pat.

21-Jul-09
Is there any point with various poundage bow/arrow combinations where weight can be excessive over say trajectory issues? Given reasonable choices for targeted game!

Is this what Southbowhunter is alluding to?

Woody have you done any tests regarding speed and [various types of] bone splitting ability, increase or decrease?

I was hoping one day to take a buffalo cape or asiatic using a speed bow to launch an arrow of "x" weight at pedestrian speeds but enough to get the job done. Reality I fear says no, even with a double bevel!grin

21-Jul-09
To second Trophy 8--

I chuckled when I read that the Tribute was a bit over 200 FPS with your arrows.

I had a Jennings Forked Lightening (1988 edition) that shot a 560 gr. arrow at a breath-taking 192 FPS. (2117 Gamegetter, 5 in. vane, glue on knock, insert, RazorBak 5 blade broadhead-the OLD Razorbaks for you kids out there.)

I'd bottomed it all the way down to 77#, with a 50% (or so) let off.

I killed deer with it. You just had to be within 25 yds. since it shot like a "howitzer" and not a rifle.

21-Jul-09
And for reference:

1 oz. is 437 grains.

1 1/4 oz. is 547 grains.

We're not talking a LOT of weight difference here.

The bottom line--bowhunting still requires SKILL...for all the fancy bowstrings, light arrows, hi tech vanes, top dollar sights, and leading edge limbs, the HUNTER still is the guy in charge.

That said...

Pat--congratulations.....and, where is that elk we want to see????? ; )

22-Jul-09
Get Pat Madden out here, we can grab a beer, watch the video, see the slo-mo, see the graphics superimposed on the pic, and talk about it all day on Monday.

The bull is dead. Long live the bull.

Pat is alive. Long live Pat.

(OK. I agree with Pat--it WAS "sketchy" there for about 20 seconds.)

22-Jul-09
That's the point FEN TIGER, You can get great penetration for Buffalo with less arrow weight (less than a 1000grs) and have better arrow trayectory which is really important for a good arrow placement.. Not all guys are "Pro hunters" and in the moment of thruth sometimes is better to have a faster arrow that will minimize your errors than a super heavy one that can make u miss o hit really bad..

Remember, that when Im saying "a faster" arrow Im comparing a 700grains arrow whit a 1000+ grs..

I will never recommend to one of my clients/ friends to try a buffalos with a 370grs arrow( although we have kill big males with that weight + 3 blades BH)

Regards, Santiago

22-Jul-09
Estimado Don Santiago. In your opinion/experience what is the minimum speed/weight projectile on asiatic buffalo.

Better still example of bow/arrow combinations, gracias!

Woody does speed help or detract in the splitting of ribs in your experience?

22-Jul-09
A very important point here that has been misssed is it appears the rib was split vertically. It takes far less energy to split a rib vertically than horizontally. Measurable less....The fiber matter in a rib run veritcally......This single result,alighnment of the 2 blade at the point of impact, greatly aided in penetration....Congrats Pat and tremendous job and thanks for the story

22-Jul-09
Hi FEN,

After trying lots of combinations of arrows/broadheads and bows we have seen that for modern compounds you can get penetration up to the fletching, (breaking ribs) with 70 pounds, good 2 blades BH and a total weigth of 750-850grs.. So that is our standar recomendation.. bows with 70 # , 2 blades BH (Phantom, German Kinetic, Nanook,etc) and a total arrow weight over 700/750grs.. That will be our starting point, then u can add more pounds or more arrow weight but we advice not using a very heavy arrow (over 1000grs) scrifacing speed, that will be very usefull for a good arrow placement.

As u can imagine all clients have diferent bows and sometimes they dont like to follow what we advice, so we have seen a lot of diferent combinations that arent even close to what we recommend... some times they work good, and some other they just wound and u have to use a rifle to put the animal down...

22-Jul-09
Well if Pat had used a single bevel head like the 'Ashby" it would have been a complete pass through and he'd be looking for his arrow in the grass.lol Mike

22-Jul-09
Thanks Pat, thats some great field work you did presenting this. Hope you saved the rib...it will be a nice desk "trophy" you will admire forever.

One can pretty much discredit any "experts" on penetration when they fail to mention head orientation through bone. One has to look at the whole equation.

Obviously your setup was over the top to bust that rib horizontal. Impressive! That Muzzy head is awesome at 440 stainless and tempered to carry the load behind it with the poundage and arrow mass you produced. I have been on this site since you started it and this whole series is exceptional..thank you again.

22-Jul-09
If it's true that drag increases at the square of velocity.

And if it's true that increasing the drag of a target media decreases arrow penetration.

Then would not velocity changes effect penetration while keeping either KE or Momentum constant?

Of course it would, if the target has sufficient material that acts as a fluid. The more fluid in veins, arteries and organs that are hit, the greater the effect. Even living bone can somewhat act like a fluid when hit at sufficient velocity.

However, shooting through dead animals (with the accompanying blood lose) while hitting and nicking ribs at various angles and various rib deflection it would be all be all but impossible to detect the drag variable due to velocity. Just too many variables and much of the fluids are missing.

In fact, IMO it is this very velocity/drag phenomena that accounts for the superior penetration of heavy slow arrows over fast ones at the same KE. I think that it also accounts for why a heavy arrow draws more KE from a bow and are therefore more efficient. The limbs and string are going slower and thus have less drag. Having less drag makes them more efficient. I hope to test this theory in the not too distant future.

The bones that I've seen broke certainly seem to have a "grain". I think that we have all heard that we are not to give chicken bones to a dog because they splinter. They always seen to splinter lengthwise and they are a load bearing bone. Same goes for leg and arm bones. Compound fractures are due to the sharp pointy ends formed at the break. If they didn't have a wood-like grain, they wouldn't be jagged like a wood break.

Joebuck is absolutely right, the grain does have an effect. So does location on the rib. That part of the rib close to the spine and sternum are more rigid. In between, the rib has more flex that can absorb energy and limit penetration.

Animal movement is one of the most common factors that limits penetration. Shoot at a target that's spinning at just a few RPM and see how little penetration you get.

22-Jul-09
Way cool!

22-Jul-09
You left out the test shot on the "void"...

Just for giggles I'd have liked to seen, say a 400 grain arrow out of 60-70 lbs in comparison to the heavy arrow and heavy bow.

I forget where I saw it, Beendare's water buff maybe? They did similar comparisons and the lighter rigs failed big time in comparison. Most never made it through the ribs? The 3 and 4 blade heads it was even worse.

Thanks Pat. Interesting testing, very impressive.

And congrats again on a nasty ol bull. Village must have eaten well for a while!

23-Jul-09
Thanks Pat!

23-Jul-09
"I think that it (limb and string drag) also accounts for why a heavy arrow draws more KE from a bow and are therefore more efficient"

I think that is an interesting concept but I'm gonna be very surprised if it's factual.

I think limb designs would have already manifested some of this efficency.

Split limbs and "slimline" would inherently be faster designs,I don't think we are seeing this.

Seems less energy loss from the limbs on heavier arrows would qualify the difference,however with due respect, I would never turn down a free education. :)

Can a chrono fit in a hyperbaric chamber? :)

23-Jul-09
Pat or others,

In the CSI: Mozambique feature banner is the Phantom broadhead sticking up from (I think) the rib penetrated.

It appears the Phantom has a "tanto" or similar type tip. None of Muzzy's advertisements I can find show that. Does Muzzy's line have a "tanto" style tip?

thanks, dv

23-Jul-09
The key to this whole thing is ?

Total arrow weight. Without the 1100 grains it all fails IMO. Change the broadhead, the bow weight etc and there will be impacts but nothing changes it greater than that arrow weight.

23-Jul-09
I feel that as good as this test is, and it is really interesting, it is incomplete in that Pat could have taken a 2 blade Rage with him and done a test with that head. There is no doubt in my mind that somewhere down the road someone will ask about using a Rage for buffs or elephants and we will have the thread to end all threads:)

23-Jul-09
Very interesting results. I'm not surprise by the penetration you saw. I doubt anyone in their right mind would hunt cape buffalo unless they knew they could shoot through one.

But what did surprise me was how well the Muzzy Phantom held up. I knew they were incredibly tough heads (even the 100- and 125-grain versions, which I've never seen bend), but that was extremely impressive.

With respect to Ashby's results: some clarity.

On the plus side: he had similar penetration on Asiatic water buffalo (exit wounds after breaking ribs). According to Ashby's numbers, his longbow setup produced less than half the Ke of Pat's equipment (38.9 ft.-lbs.) and slightly over half Pat's momentum (0.523 slug-feet/second).

On the minus side: five of six of Ashby's shoulder blade shots failed to penetrate into the lungs. But he states that his shots were not broadside; rather, they were 45 degrees quartering toward. So comparisons to a broadside shoulder blade shot may be apples to oranges.

Either way, both penetration tests yield some intersting information and I appreciate the time both men took to bring them to us.

In the end, what I took away from both tests was the strength of both Grizzlys and Muzzy Phantoms -- two heads that people should have no concerns over with respect to strength, durability and edge retention.

23-Jul-09
To change the subject, Pat did you have a weight training program to pull your 90 lb bow. It didn't look like you had much trouble pulling it back at the shot? No pointing to the sky for you. Mike

23-Jul-09
Good deal Pat. Hope you get to go next year. Mike

23-Jul-09

LDhuntr50's embedded Photo
LDhuntr50's embedded Photo
Pat, Very impressive. I took a shot on a whitetail deer at about 15 yards and hit deer in back of head with a 44 LB pull on a Hoyt bow, shooting a 75 gr. Muzzy broadhead. It penetrated through the back of the skull and protruded out of the front of the skull about 1/2". Killing shot. Was aiming behind the shoulder quartering away but deer jumped and lifted head so arrow hit in back of head. Freaky shot. Shows even with a light poundage bow and broadhead that it can penetrate to kill. Do have picture if you would like to see and I can figure out how to post it. Would not try it on a buffalo.

25-Jul-09
One thing that always seems to get lost in most pennetration theories is the spin rate of the arrow.

It is my understanding that(all else equal) an arrow that is not spinning will greatly out pennetrate an arrow spinning at 500 rpm.

For this reason I always strive for the bare minimum in rotation needed to stabalize my BH's.

25-Jul-09
x-man Woody's grad student will really be up late!

I "oops" set up a bow with zero offset with Blazers and it BH tuned just fine for my ability!

26-Jul-09
" It would be intersting to see its affect on penetration instead of the explination we got that such a resistance doesn't exist."

Do you have it? Or do we have to wait for your new website and/or camera? thank you

03-Aug-09
If possible, I still would like to see the "Kill Shot" horizontal rib entrance? Thats over the top!

07-Aug-09
If possible, I still would like to see the "Kill Shot" horizontal rib entrance?

12-Aug-09
Great shot Pat and great buffalo. I didn't see anything in the thread relating to the "lethality" of that shot. I think the arrow cut a big hole in the aorta and that is why the buff only went 70 yds. The aorta arcs upwards and then towards the rear. It is adjacent to the windpipe, occupies the same space between the upper part of the left and right lung. The video didn't show the aorta, other than the stub of it (that big white hole that was visible in the top of the heart when you were holding it)) where they cut it off the heart. I think the arrow went through the top of the left lung, severed the aorta, and maybe the windpipe, then continued into the top of the right lung. Like the PH said, hit both lungs, let the air out of them and they're going to go down. But cut the aorta and let them pump their chest full of blood and they're going down even faster! I'm not recommending aiming for the aorta as a double lung shot is a much bigger target... I just wanted to add my 2 cents on the lethality of that shot. Having the right equipment was the key to that broadhead getting inside the chest where it needed to be. Good job!

18-Aug-09
If possible ,I would like to see the rib that was busted horizontally?

14-Oct-10

buff1's Link
Not to take anything away from Pat's experience, but i would advise anyone looking to hunt in Mozambique to look into Gert Saaiman of Saaiman Hunting Safaris and Andre van Deventer who are both up on rhino poaching charges in South Africa. Van Deventer's 2 brothers have already been convicted of rhino poaching and are state witnesses against Saaiman, their brother and George Clayton Fletcher of Sandhurst Safari's in South Africa.

• Sitka Gear