Barclay 23-Aug-09
BB 24-Aug-09
Barclay 24-Aug-09
BB 24-Aug-09
Barclay 25-Aug-09
03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo
I learned a lot from this thread last year so I thought I would start it off this year.

Would love the input of BB on these, but I am going to upload some pics (you all have taken and I have saved).

Good luck this fall everyone.

Make those shots count! JB

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09
Feel free to post photos of your own...It is all about getting ready for the big moment! JB

03-Aug-09
Since I have started shooting aniamals father forward (exactly where you put the x's) I have yet to have one make it out of my site. I believe it was BB that started the thread a while ago and it works great. If someone can post a turkey photo too. Go up the leg, not the wingbut like is commonly said; works like a charm.

03-Aug-09
I'm in total agreement with each of your photos jb. You commonly hear about aiming straight up the leg for African game but you don't hear it as much for deer, elk, etc. However, straight up the leg 1/3 - 1/2 of the way up the body is ideal shot placement on NA and African game IMO.

03-Aug-09
On all your X's I would aim about 1" further back. Your shot is great, I just give myself a little more room for error.

03-Aug-09
I'd go back a couple inches and account more for body angle/leg position. I'd be more forward on the last mulie and on the bull with his onside leg back.

03-Aug-09
Any mountain goat shots out there.

03-Aug-09
Regarding the 2nd elk, conventional wisdom says let the leg come forward and that would be my (ingrained) inclination. Having said that, if I am at full draw and I feel he may bust, I have no trouble with the shot presented. Of course, someone who has actually hunted elk may differ...:)

I actually like the placement of the last mulie.

03-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I would shoot just a tad more forward than most of you on most of those shots. I am tied up right now and have to leave, but here's a goat photo----------taken him!

Have a great bowhunt. Bb

03-Aug-09
Hows about a couple goat pics looking down on them? Headed to BC in 26 days.

03-Aug-09

wisconsinteacher's embedded Photo
wisconsinteacher's embedded Photo
Here is a bear picture for you to look at. 15 yards from stand that is 12 feet off the ground. Does it work?

03-Aug-09
I too don't like the quartering toward shots.

03-Aug-09

Waterfowler's embedded Photo
Here's my pick

03-Aug-09

03-Aug-09

03-Aug-09

ELKREAPER's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

Which circle???

03-Aug-09

03-Aug-09

03-Aug-09
White top left.

Waterfowler....sent you a PM, hope you can help.

03-Aug-09

03-Aug-09

03-Aug-09

03-Aug-09

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo
Which color would be your aiming point???

03-Aug-09
Directly between green and blue

03-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here;s a real photo taken just as the arrow entered the critter. It was a perfect hit on a quartering animal and the bull die in seconds and less 70 or so yards away.

03-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's another real hit. My son shot this buck several years back while I took the photo. He actually aimed a bit farther forward and about 4 inches lower, but the antelope began to move before the arrow got there (about a 20 yard shot) and he hit high and farther back. That is why I advocate aiming a bit farhter forward. This buck lived about 2-3 seconds.

03-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's where the buck died. You can see the burlap from our blind in the lower left hand corner of the photo. Consider the buck was 20 yards away when shot. It might have made it 20-25 yards. If you hit them up front they die very quickly.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

03-Aug-09
Here's the antelope I shot in 2006. If was face on and less than 20 yards away. Many say you never shoot one face on, but as many of you know I respectfully disagree, as I have recovered every animal I've hit with that shot.

03-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's the next photo I took and you can again see side of the window of my blind. It made not much over 20 yards. The key to killing critters with a bow is knowing where to hit, getting close shots and keeping it together at the time of the shot. If you know your critters anatomy and do the other things, you will watch most critters die.

03-Aug-09

GG NYC's embedded Photo
GG NYC's embedded Photo
Is this the right spot?

03-Aug-09

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

03-Aug-09
OK I am new to this how do you put the spot on a photo? Little help please.

04-Aug-09
Regarding the whitetail doe: I would want to aim between the blue and green dots - favoring the blue dot.

04-Aug-09
"There is no right spot on an animal directly facing you!"

Many here will disagree.

04-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
There are some wrong spots to hit on an critter facing you, but there is a right spot too, under the correct situations. One just needs to learn what they are and where to hit them.

Here's a photo of an antelope I took last fall. The antelope was shot as he quartered to me (almost striaght on) from a close distance (less than 20 yards). He lived just a few seconds. I know this photo is graphic but it shows the damage caused when you know where to hit them. Killing a critter with an arrow has a great deal to do with knowing where to hit them. I have never taken a front shot that I have not recovered the animal.

04-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's a photo of an elk I took quite a few years ago. If you look close you can pretty well see the make up of the front shoulder. I placed a dot in the area I would shoot him. I know many here would shoot farther back, but from my expeirence if you want to kill ande critter fast and watch him go down, that is the area you want your arrow to hit.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

04-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

04-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Both these bison are turned differently so each requires an adjustment of the arrow. Where would you want to hit them?

Have a great bowhunt BB

04-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's a good example of a shot many hunters would pass up waiting for the bull to step forward one or two more steps. Many don't realize the best hit they could make already exits.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

04-Aug-09

Not exactly sure on this one. Any suggestions?

04-Aug-09

I'd like this shot at 30 yards in 28 days.

04-Aug-09

04-Aug-09

Lets discuss this shot here. Notice I said discuss not debate!! Its a favorite of mine & as deadly as any other if executed properly.

The redline is what I believe to be the bodys center line from center of brisket to center of rump. My personal belief is that this shot improves greatly with a slight qtr to you in order to cross diagonally thru the chest cavity and hit as many vital organs as possible.

I wont take this shot over 20 yards and most times will pass at that distance.

I like my hit a little high shooting for the opposite last rib as I think aiming for the hip decreases the angle ( depending on body posture) and allows for only one lung & liver.

04-Aug-09
Waterfowler,

I see your point...I probably should adjust a bit to the right.

04-Aug-09

Trophy8's embedded Photo
Trophy8's embedded Photo
Thanks to waterfowler for providing the red line.

If you follow the red line into the chest it can be used as a reference for where to place an arrow, especially for the deer family. Treestand hunters can learn from this as it releates to where center body actually is in relation to the vitals. All to often many aim to high.

Follow the front leg striaght up to where it crosses the red line....Bullseye!

04-Aug-09
Straight on shots are extremely deadly. If you know how to execute it. I have made this shot three times all on large whitetail does. Not one of these deer went more than 80 yards. A slight quartering in the deer is great because it provides you with more angle to hit more vitals. I shot these deer with 2 1/4" cutting diameter mechanical broadheads. The last doe I shot like this was three years ago. I prefer the slight quartering away broadside side shot. I also now shoot fixed blade broadheads. Being able to shoot confidently and accurately shot after shot is very important. I have seen deer shot directly in the shoulder blade with only an inch or two of penetration from being shot to far forward.

04-Aug-09

No idea where this came from nice buck though,

04-Aug-09

Having a hard time with this one. I'd almost wait & hope he passes & get a quartering away but I think yellow or red are the best options in this pose.

04-Aug-09

04-Aug-09

04-Aug-09

04-Aug-09

04-Aug-09

GG NYC@Work's embedded Photo
Ok, bear with me here... I took the photo from Bogenschutze and flipped it, then added in the front leg bones from an elk skeleton photo...

I think BB's shot would have been OK as the scapula isnt quite as wide and tends to angle up the torso steeper

04-Aug-09

here is the file I used...

04-Aug-09

Gobblestopper's embedded Photo
Gobblestopper's embedded Photo
Tagged or not I'm shooting.

04-Aug-09

Z-Max's embedded Photo
Z-Max's embedded Photo
I have found these threads to be invaluable. I was taught about shot placement mainly from what I had read. All I used to think was "Lungs" when choosing my spot. I now believe that many shots I have taken in the past were too far back to be the best choice.

For broadside shots I now go straight up the front leg (adjusting per near side leg position). Quartering away I aim to have the arrow exit in front of the shoulder.

I really got an eye opener last year when a very accomplished elk hunter on this site shared his thoughts and successes on quartering to shots. I know I am not ready for that shot or a frontal shot under pressure but I did find it very informative.

What do y'all "forward" shooters think of this?

04-Aug-09

Z-Max's embedded Photo
Z-Max's embedded Photo
Or this?

04-Aug-09

Huntsman's embedded Photo
Huntsman's embedded Photo
Once again, those condoning the frontal chest shot need to do some anatomy studying, some shooting practice, or both. Under the right circumstances, and at shorter ranges, the frontal is not only extremely effective, but a very easy shot to execute. That is providing that you can hit a target the size of a cantelope.

04-Aug-09
I would still say to all those posting that the sweet spot is the best, but don't be afraid to cheat back several inches if you've not comfortable with that shot (at least on NA game). The closer you get to the shoulder, the quicker the kill, but also, the smaller margin for error - guess the range wrong by 3 yrds, and you can easily be in bone, pull 2-3 inches to the side, and you will be in bone. I typically go directly up from the elbow a couple inches to catch the back end of the triangle. This gives me more left to right variance, and a high shot is less likely to hit solid bone in the center of the scapula.

For angles, I mentally rotate the vitals - a friend of mine once taught me to 'Squeeze the orange' - picture an orange suspended between the shoulders, place your sight on that orange, and then Squeeze it with your shooting hand. . .

04-Aug-09
Bogenschutze, I believe you are spot on as to the shot placement on that spike elk being too high. There is a distinct horizontal line through the hide which I take to be the edge of the scapula, which would mean that the arrow would have to penetrate heavy bone to get to the vitals. I would aim 3-4" back right on the crease. That placement would result in a very dead elk and would present less likelihood for loss due to inadequate penetration of heavy bone. Many folks tend to shoot high from an elevated position, which compounds the issue.

Txnrog, I agree. There is disagreement on this every time it comes up, but I personally think it is smarter to pick an aiming spot where you could super-impose an 8" circle over it and have the circle cover nothing but rib-covered vitals. The alternative is to have portions of the scapula and leg bones inside that 8" circle which decreases your margin for error. You don't have to shift that circle back very far, only a few inches, to come clear of the large bones.

05-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
With all due respect, to all those contributing to this thread, I would like to correct what has been stated. I do this not for the purpose of argument, but rather for the purpose of education.

The dot I placed on the spike elk, although forward and close to the bone, would not hit the bone if the arrow hit any where in the my red dot. The scapula drawn by Bogenschutze is exaggerated in size as my example above shows.

I have cloned an over sized elk scapula into the area drawn by Bogenschutze. It is a scapula taken from a spike elk my friend Jeff killed last fall. I saved it for this very purpose (education). Notice closely how the bone goes up so far it almost it hit the top of the hump, which by the way in real life that is not the case. I will post another photo that is more life like than this over-sized one. I do this one just to show that even with an exaggerated over-sized scapula; my broadhead would not have hit bone. Granted it is far forward and I certainly understand Matt’s position about giving a bit more room for error, but it does clearly show that hit would not hit the scapula.

The bulge seen in the photo, is not bone, but rather a muscle and was mistaken by some as bone.

Now look at my next post and see the scapula very near the real size and it shows that my red dot is even farther from the bone. Again this is a real scapula from a spike elk, it is not my rendition or that of some artist. It is the real thing!

05-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's the photo with the scapula very close to its proper size and placement.

Thanks to all who contribute to these threads and to those that question my posts, as that stems disccussion, which in the end hopefully better educates.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

05-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
The x marks the muscle bulge.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

05-Aug-09

Trophy8's embedded Photo
Trophy8's embedded Photo
The yellow line represent center line on the elk, following the hip to the triangle created by the front leg. Using this as a reference one can see at what level you should be aiming at. This is especially important when shooting from a tree stand.

Larger red dot would be my aiming spot, catches the heart and lower lungs.

05-Aug-09
No need to shoot the spike elk. He has been analyzed to death.:)

Seriously, this is a good discussion.

05-Aug-09

The Yode's embedded Photo
The Yode's embedded Photo
Yellow dot - BULLHEAD! Doesn't that make shot placement easy???

05-Aug-09
This is a good thread. I have learned a lot about shot placement from what BB has said over the past few years. I used to aim farther back and have since changed to shoot farther forward and it has resulted in quicker kills.

Concerning the frontal shot, under the right conditions it can be the deadliest shot in bowhunting. Some guys don't have the nerve or confidence to take it though. I called a raghorn bull in to a friend of mine last year and the bull stood facing him at 18 yards. He considered the shot but couldn't bring himself to take it because he doubted himself and his abilities. Since I learned where to shoot, I haven't had an opportunity to take a frontal shot but consider it another option when I otherwise wouldn't get a shot.

05-Aug-09
I think most of these shots are too far forward for bow&arrow.Several inches back from crease still double lungsem and that is a shure thing.Shooting too far forward and hitting heavy bone is a surething to, but not in a good way.Just my 2$

05-Aug-09
As a newbie (preparing for 3rd archery season) this thread has been very helpful to me, as was last year's. Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to post your shot placements suggestions and for the great discussion!

05-Aug-09
I always wonder what the newbies take away after reading these yearly shot placement threads.

Lots of posters advocate taking frontal shots. They don't always mention the caveats or "prerequisites" like the shot angle needing to be straight on (thereby making the shot off-limits in treestands or steep terrain unless the animal is at the same elevation as the shooter), the bow needing to be a heavy poundage set-up with a razor sharp fixed COC BH, the animal needing to be relaxed and unaware of the shooter (who must be in close, calm and able to make such a high pressure clutch shot.

How about tucking an arrow right up alongside the edge of the humerus/scapula on those "you guys are aiming too far back" shots? We all know animals react at the shot, and not always down and forward. Sometimes they flip end for end, defy gravity and go up and back, you name it. Drawing a little dot on a photo is an exact science. Sure, an arrow hitting that exact spot would be great. But we aren't shooting laserbeams in a laboratory. Shooting in the real world with tricky winds, punched triggers, pulled shots, skittish critters and nervous shooters, to name a few, make shots at wild game way less exact. We all know that stuff after a few seasons out there making the mistakes.

What should we be advocating here on the Bowsite. especially to the rookies?

05-Aug-09
Great thread, All. I've learned something every year. It makes my bow, rifle, and muzzleloader shotplacement better. Great pictures, Great cut aways. Gets me excited for the fall!

Adam

05-Aug-09
Obviously I speak only for myself. I am a rookie but I don't need to be babysat. This is the second shot placement thread that I've followed and both have made it abundantly clear that executing a frontal shot requires a special set of circumstances. Not sure if I would attempt it or not, but at least I know how to execute it successfully if need be.

Thanks for your concern. ;0)

05-Aug-09
Am I the only one who wonders how Woody gets the animals to stand back up like that??? LOL!!

05-Aug-09
Great thread, All. I've learned something every year. It makes my bow, rifle, and muzzleloader shotplacement better. Great pictures, Great cut aways. Gets me excited for the fall!

Adam

05-Aug-09
My concern is for the critters, Coup.

05-Aug-09
I realize that Barclay. I also realize that I am a fairly cautious and conservative when it comes to hunting and that others who are younger or less conscientious may be more careless. Information in the context of educational threads like these and provided by experienced and thoughtful veterans is a GOOD thing, and I appreciate it just as I truly do appreciate your concern.

05-Aug-09
Woody- somebody threw a pig at you?

How big was the pig? And were they taking aim at a frontal shot of you, or broadside?

Sincere thanks to you and others for posting on this subject every year- it's probably one of the most important threads of the year. I just called my young son in to look at your fantastic white-tailed deer pic to discuss where he should be aiming in 10 days when he's in the field after a mulie. Thanks again-

Dale

05-Aug-09

nijimasu's embedded Photo
nijimasu's embedded Photo
I guess I'm a "little far back" on this one.

05-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
"I think most of these shots are too far forward for bow&arrow.Several inches back from crease still double lungsem and that is a shure thing.Shooting too far forward and hitting heavy bone is a sure thing to, but not in a good way.Just my 2$ "

I personally think a good part of this statement is far from the truth! Let's take this part of that statement and analyze it a bit. "Several inches back from the crease still double lungsem and that is a shure thing."

Several inches back from the crease is usually a double lung if one hits mid body or higher, but if one hits low it could miss the lungs. So only part of that statement is fact! And the part that says "that is a shure thing" could not be farther from the truth. A fact is that more animals are lost to gut shot wounds than were intended for double lungs than those lost to shoulder and big bone hits.

None of us want to hit an animal wrong and loose it, but a gut shot animal will die where as most big bone hit critters will live through that injury. So if that is a fact, why would one intentionally shoot farther back to avoid missing the bone with little or no concern about hitting the guts? That is something I just can’t comprehend. And the likelihood of hitting the guts is far greater than that of hitting big bone when an animal moves upon release of the arrow.

Shooting behind the crease is a rifle mentality that bow hunters need to abandon. I know its a hard principle to change, but for the sake of the critter and bowhunting its a must we all learn where to hit with a broadhead. Shooting behind the crease to me is akin to shooting field points rather than broadheads. I like to be straight up the front leg, but if that's too far forward for you, then go right up the middle of the front leg and see what happens with that shot as compared to shooting behind the crease. I know your eyes will be opened very fast. I get tons of PM's and emails each year thanking me for my imput on this subject and telling time and time again how fast the critters go down as compared to when they shot behind the crease.

Like the old commercial says, "Try it you will like it!"

The photo posted above shows a deers vitals and bone structure of the leg fairly close what its like in real life. I am not saying its perfect, but for learning the theory of why to aim forward, rather than behind the crease, it at least shows the reasoning.

Let's say the blue-green line is the crease. Notice how little one has to go back to hit the guts if the shot is low. Notice also how far forward one had to go to hit the major bone. One should neveer purposely (on a broadside animal) aim behind the crease. Matt, who I respect a lot, and I have argued for years about shot placement, but even he does not shoot behind the crease and as I understand him through these threads, he does not advocate that either. That thinking, to be honest, has no place in bowhunting in 2009! We all need to educate for bowhunting and the critters sake!

Have a great bowhunt BB

05-Aug-09

Trophy8's embedded Photo
Trophy8's embedded Photo
Again, follow the yellow line from hip to joint, straight up the leg...Bingo.

05-Aug-09
This is a great thread, no doubt. I find my only point of differing with some of the points being that I view some of the preferred "dots" as where I would like my arrow to hit, but not where I would aim. The spot I aim for is chosen with a margin of error on all sides...rather than where I ideally want my arrow to hit.

05-Aug-09
As viewed from the side, if you divide the heart into four quadrants, I aim for the top-frontal quarter of the heart. I honestly believe [that] aiming point to give the most margin for error from both bad shots, and moving animals.

06-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's a photo I posted on another thread about bears at waterholes. As such it might not seem it has anything to do with this thread, but it does.

06-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
The evening after I took that photo, my hunting partner took this bull from that same setup.

I showed you the previous photo to show the shot angle and the adjustment one has to make in real life situations.

The first thing many people say when they see this photo is, "Boy he hit that bull high didn't he! He was lucky to find that bull.”

The fact of the matter is he hit the bull perfect, under the conditions. If one knows and understand the anatomy of the critter they hunt, the location of bones, vitals etc, then in their mind they can visualize the path their arrow needs to take to insure a quick, clean kill.

The bull in this photo made it less than 15 yards. He made a small semi circle and fell over dead. Shane’s arrow went right over the heart hitting the bundle of arteries and veins that enter and leave the heart. That happens to be the best place to hit a critter for a very fast kill. Hitting the heart is a great place no doubt about it, as are both lungs, but in most instances heart shots can go up to 100 yards and double lungs even farther depending upon the placement of the broadhead. Hitting the bundle above the heart is almost instant death.

One always needs to picture the path of his arrow in his mind and aim accordingly to the angle and quarter of the critter. Broadside shots are pretty easy to understand although many still don't comprehend the importance of being more forward of the crease, but it is equally important to learn to picture the path your arrow will take on a variety of different shot angles. If one will learn the anatomy and make up of the critters they hunt, and learn to picture the path of their arrows they will end up with far faster kills and many few wounded or lost critters. And although many of us can’t agree on a lot of stuff, we all can agree on fast clean kills.

Have a great bowhunt

06-Aug-09
What hasn't been mentioned is that "most" guys wait for a broadside or slightly quartering away angle. The pic of the mule deer above is quartering to, so you have to aim forward to get both lungs. On a slightly quartering away animal a "couple inches behind the crease" is fine with a little margin of error.

06-Aug-09

jb@work's embedded Photo
jb@work's embedded Photo
Here is one to think about (and largely why I started the thread). I shot this cow with at a pretty abrupt angle uphill. You can see the entry hole and I drew in blue about where the exit hole was on the other side. I thought it was a very lethal shot. 8 hrs and 2.5 miles later (with very little blood) the animal eventually expired. Upon examination, I only nicked the lower part of the off lung and missed the heart. Hence the long tracking job. I will forever move my aiming point further forward.

Thanks BB, your coaching will hopefully avoid this type of challenge in the future. BTW, great pics of the arrow hitting the animals. Don't know how you were able to get them but very helpful! JB

07-Aug-09
I am a believer! BB (and others) I am grateful that you take the time and effort to illustrate your point. BB- I appreciate how you have gone up against popular opinion and dare to challenge the so called conventional wisdom. Only in small circles have I voiced my opinion on frontals. It is a very lethal and humane shot for the capable and anatomical experienced bowhunter. My eyes were opened to this thread last year to the forward of crease aiming point. I must admit that I discovered the thread after I took a good bull. A bull that I shot with a slight quarter to angle (similar to the muley buck illustrated above). I saw the opening to the vitals. The bone structure burned still in my mind clear away, and I released. The arrow struck right where I was aiming. When he spun and ran I thought, maybe too far forward. In retrospect, the penetration seemed less than ideal but was excellent considering I caught lungs, heart and bone on the other side that prevented an exit. That bull expired in 20 seconds and 45 yards. I will continue to choose the forward option, risking a bone strike and a surviving bull, over a dead, un-recovered gut shot bull anytime. Its worth mentioning that the only bull that I killed that died quicker and cleaner than that one was a frontal shot. The bull dropped to the ground after one lunge. 10 foot recovery. Good Luck all!

07-Aug-09

rambows's embedded Photo
rambows's embedded Photo
Here is a buck that my buddy got last year. The arrow entered behind the ribs on the other side(represented by the blue dot)and exited slightly in front of the crease. He thought it was a perfect hit. He lived for 5 hours and traveled 500 yards. Only a slight one lung hit (and guts) after the autopsy. Perhaps a more forward aim would have worked out better.

07-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I can tell two stories that I've told before about hits made that I thought were perfect (in the old days) but ended up being far less than perfect.

When I was young (a long time ago and before I had ever taken an elk with a bow, I was hunting late one afternoon, hiking a good trail thru the timber, when I saw and heard elk in front of me. Long story short I placed my pin mid body, right BEHIND the shoulder and the arrow hit almost the exact spot where I was aiming. The bull ran down hill and the rest of the herd settled back down, after the interruption and began to feed. I slowly knelt down and began to wait, not wanting to scare the herd in fear they would scare the bull I had just arrowed.

About five minutes later I see a bull running towards me on the same trail on which I knelt. He crossed the small opening where the other elk were feeding and where I hit my bull and came right for me. I didn't want to move for fear of scaring the other elk, but he was bearing down on me and so at the last moment I stood and the bull pulled off the trail passing just yards to my side. And there in his side in the exact place I shot was my arrow. Had I known it was the same bull I could have almost pulled the arrow from his side. I watched him run some 100 yards down the timber until the trees blocked my vision. I waited another hour and followed the blood trail until dark and got back on the bull early the next day and followed it again until I finally lost it when he crossed a big meadow. I searched for days and watched for ravens, magpies etc. but never found that bull. I can assure you this, had I hit at the same level height wise, straight above the leg, it would have been dead in seconds and made it no farther than 70 yards.

On another occasion my buddy and I has spotted elk on a sparse hillside, feeding towards a pond. He went down and sat in the sage brush surrounding the pond and I sat above him on the trail leading to the pond.

Soon a bull broke from the group and headed down past me. I let him go as there were other bulls on the hillside and I knew my buddy would get a shot.

The bull went down to the pond and as he was watering, my buddy arrowed him perfectly, according to our eye. He ran less than 100 yards and lay down in the sage brush. He lay there for many hours and as dark approached we hatched a plan to try to get another arrow in him before it was too late. That plan worked and we got his bull that evening, however looking at the hit I was baffled on how he had lived so long.

Many years later and with a much better understanding of the anatomy of that critter I can see and understand why he lived so long. Since that time I have moved my shots forward and a bit higher and in most instances I am able to watch the critters I shoot die. And at the very best, I am only an average shot. And perhaps not even that good. But I take close shots and I have learned where to hit them and it serves me well as it will you.

I used rambow’s photo to place the dots of the respective stories I told. The blue green dot is about the place I hit and lost the bull elk in the story and the red dot is about where my buddy hit his bull.

Have a great bowhunt BB

07-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Look closely at the above photo. I have over laid the vitals onto the photo I used to show where I had hit the elk and where my friend had hit his elk. I circled each of those hits in with black outlining to better see where those arrows hit. By looking at this you can plainly see why my elk was still running after 5 minutes and covered a very long distance after that, and why my buddies bull lived so long.

Study this close and you too will move your aiming point forward.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

07-Aug-09

antarcher's embedded Photo
antarcher's embedded Photo
Here is a pig that I took the other day. She made 40m and piled up in site and had blood flowing out both sides like a sieve. Shot from slightly above, the arrow exited a little lower on the other side. Good placement in my book

07-Aug-09

mikewood's embedded Photo
mikewood's embedded Photo
BB you have seen this picture before. Entrance was 4 inches above the elbow. What you see is the exit through the offside elbow joint. Took out both lungs and the top of the heart. Short track job. Do not be afraid of hitting bone. I penetrated the off side elbow joint by 6 inches using a 60 pound longbow and cedar arrow. A good compound set up will bust bone if necessary. I'm a beliver.

07-Aug-09
BB where would you shoot the moose?

07-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I would hope to hit the bull moose right were I placed the dot or within a few inches of that spot one way or another. If one can do that, his blood trail and bull's live would be very short.

07-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's a photo of the last bull moose that I shot. It was taken2 years ago in Wyoming. Notice the yellow circle. In the middle of the yellow circle is the place I hit that bull. I watched him make his short death run and watched him fall all in the matter of a few seconds. That hit is very similar to where I placed my dot in my last post.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

07-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's the overlay of those vitals on another photo of a moose whose photo I took a few years back. It quite closely represents the make of the organs and how they lie in a live moose.

07-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Now here's a close up of that same photo showing the vitals in relation to the front leg and the yellow cricle is around the cut left by my broadhead. Notice if you shoot the crease or behind it and your arrow is a bit low notice what a small distance there is between the lungs and the guts going back! That is why it's so important to move your shot forward if you are a crease or behind the crease shooter on a broadside shot. Aiming there or even farter back may be the proper place on a quartering away animal, but not on a broadside shot. And yet I bet at least half the bowhunters do just that.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

08-Aug-09
I think another factor is that we have been taught to aim for the lower third of the body (mostly to cover the possibility of a deer dropping at the shot). Lower third behind the crease is bad as BB's overlays show. Come up to mid line, move forward of the crease and shoot at unaware animals. I think the habit of stopping a buck with a grunt prior to the shot results in shooting at an alert animal that reacts to the shot.

08-Aug-09

Dream Catcher's embedded Photo
Dream Catcher's embedded Photo
I agree moving a little forward. I like to aim at the top of the heart myself. This is the exit hole on a doe I took with my 65#@31" recurve using Muzzy 3bld heads. Very good thread!

08-Aug-09

mb-archer's embedded Photo
mb-archer's embedded Photo
I have only been hunting for 2 yrs and have always been told to aim for the folowing: broadside=1/3 up a line following the back of the front leg (crease ?): quartering away= aim for an exit point on the opposite side crease. Now looking at Woody's picture the broadside shot as stated above seems right??? Would a shot following the front of the front leg hit in front of the heart? And where are the lungs on a hit like that? I am not doubting what you are saying just tryingto get a grip on the info. The quartering away shot I am now really questioning. Should you be aiming for an exit point in front of the opposite leg. You will see on the photo I have a vertical line for the crease and horizontal for 1/3 and 2/3. Keep in mind I only hunt whitetails so that is the only shot placement I am talking about. Help a rookie understand please.

09-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
mb archer, on a quartering away shots I think one should send an arrow so it comes out just in front of the off leg. That way it puts the arrow through the most vital part of the critter. On a broadside shot one would be served well to shoot straight up the front leg about have way up the chest at the highest and preferably just a bit lower than that. If one will do that he will usually watch the animal go down. On quartering shots one should try put the arrow in a line that will send the broadhead through that area on its travel.

Today I hiked up and picked up a couple cards from a couple trail cameras I have placed. On one of the cards a photo of a cow elk shows the bones structure of the front leg and scapula pretty clear, so I will post a few photos of it so those of you who don’t quite understand can see it better. It will be a series of three of the same photo, but enhanced a bit and color removed to more clearly define that area. On one I drew with yellow the bones structure.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

10-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's another series of three photos that will help show why a person, on a broadside shot should not shoot behind the crease.

The top photo shows a broadside antelope as we might see it while hunting. Imagine in your mind the spot on that buck that you would like to hit. If you are a guy who has been shooting the crease or just behind the crease, take close notes of the following two photos below the top image.

n the middle photo of the same buck I have drawn a yellow line depicting what most would refer to as the crease, or quite close to that reference. Let's Say you aim on that line or just slightly behind.

Now go to the bottom photo in which you can still see the yellow line, but this time I have the vitals overlaid on the photo. The yellow line depicts the crease. Notice the area to the real of that line marked in green. That's the area one can hit and still be in the vitals. Anything above that line and you have hit backbone, anything to the rear of the green line and you have hit guts and anything lower than that line and you have hit brisket or missed.

Now let's look forward of that line, the area marked in blue. That area not only happens to be larger than the area behind the crease, but even more important its the most vital area and will result in a much faster death.

Anything above or to the front of that line and one will hit bone, a hit that is most often non vital, whereas a hit behind the green line will hit guts and certain death with a great likelihood that the animal will never be found.

Would you rather take a chance of hitting bone or guts, knowing those are the facts and knowing the size of area you have to hit?

Have a great bowhunt. BB

10-Aug-09
Has anyone hit the scapula (shoulder blade) of an elk? What was the result? Did you penetrate it and did you get the elk? If you did penetrate it what weight arrow and/or draw did you use? Thanks JB

10-Aug-09
I have not hit the scapula on a elk, but have seen it done on 4 occasions. It makes a very loud and unique sound, kinda like a baseball bat hitting a tree or something. The arrow on all four occasions only penetrates 2-3 inches and the bulls did not seem to bothered by it. The one bull was shot at 27 yards with a 78# mathews Q2 and a 3-60 acc arrow tipped with a wasp fixed blade broadhead. The bull did not even seem to limp much when running/walking after the hit.

10-Aug-09
"The bull did not even seem to limp much when running/walking after the hit."

I'm not saying that your account is not true, but I definitely find it hard to believe. I've been fortunate to have never hit any bone on an elk except ribs. I would advise to anybody though, if you hit the scapula, you better make a huge and focused effort to recover that animal. If you have a razor sharp head sticking 2-3 inches out of the shoulder blade, that head is tearing up that Bull's insides with every step. Maybe adrenalin will keep him going initially, but the internal bleeding will be severe.

I don't tell anybody else what to do. I also try very hard not to judge others. With that said, if I hit a bull in the scapula, the only reason for me to carry my bow going forward on that hunt is for a follow-up shot on the same bull. I have a short message taped to the lower limb of my bow that says this: "How long should you track a wounded animal? Until you are absolutely certain it will make a full recovery, and then at least a mile further."

I'm sure some will disagree with my opinion. Personally, by knowing that if I make a bad hit my hunt is over (governed by self discipline), I have been successful in never losing an arrowed animal.

This is a great thread about where to try to hit the animal. As humans, at some point, every one of us will make a bad shot. If we're lucky, it will be a clean miss. If not, your actions as a bowhunter at that point will speak volumes for your level of respect for our sport and the quarry we pursue.

10-Aug-09
I will finish up my story!

We tracked the bull for 2 miles across Colorado open space land(with Division of wildlife agent). Had the bull cross a paved road after about 800 yards from the hit. Bull was bleeding like any bull hit in a muscle, paint brush type blood flicked onto the ground. We could see the bull off and on for the two miles and he did favor the leg he was hit on a little bit but if I did not know what I was looking for then I would have not ever guessed that the bull had been hit with a broadhead.

I understand your point and agree with you 100% arcticchill, But that is what happened on the particular hunt and the DOW had us call of the tracking job.

10-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
One several occasions I have put a broadhead through the scapula of a mule deer and antelope, but I have never seen that happen with an elk. I am not saying it has never happened or never again will happen, as I am sure on rare occasions it it possible. But it is the exception rather than the rule, I can assure you on that.

The scapula on an elk is a pretty heavy bone and the way it develops with the Tbone effect, it makes it tough to penetrate. Add the fact that it is located very close to the surface, so much of the arrow's penetrating power is lost through vibration along the shaft. When an arrow can penetrate tissure, it tends to stabilizes the shaft on the surrounding tissue and the energy of the arrow is better utilized. The opposite happens with a scapula hit, in most cases.

It is far easier to shoot through the scapula on the exit side of a critter than it is on the entrance side for those same reasons.

No one wants to wound a critter and we all should strive to see that does not happen, at least within the control of things we control (having sharp, good designed broadheads, shooting close shots, etc.) but in time it will most likely happen to all of us for one reason or another and I personally would much rather hit the shoulder bone than back in the guts. Like I mentioned before most critters hit that way will recover whereas a gut shot wound is a death sentence. Knowing what to do with a gut shot animal will certainly help in the percentage of recovery, but death takes so long, that a lot can happen during the waiting period (other hunters or predators scaring the wounded animal etc) and thus there's a good chance of losing a gut shot animal.

I would venture to say that far more critters are lost to gut shot wounds (both bow and rifle) than to all other wounds put together. You can help avoid this by learing to aim more forward.

So many seem to be afraid of hitting bone, and so few seem to fear a gut shot wound. I fear it for good reasons and so should those of you who don't.

The scapula above is that of an antelope in which a snuffer passed through on the exit (easy side) side of the animal.

If you look closely at the photo you can see the Tbone I mentioned. That is on the outside of the critter. But running along the inside edge of the scapula is a less pronounced ridge that gives that bone extra strength as it narrows to the joint end of the bond. On an elk that area is very tough to shoot through and especially on the entrance side. It's thick, strong and heavy and not broadhead friendly at all. You can see why elk and big bones critters can easily recover from a broadhead to the scapula, versus that of the gut.

Now look close the bottom photo and you can plainly see that this was the exit side of the critter by the small chipping that occurred along the broadhead hole as the head pushed its way through the bone.

10-Aug-09
What an amazing thread! Awesome!

Hi Bill!

10-Aug-09
It sounds like ELKREAPER did everything that could be done in that situation. If I originally implied that he hadn't, I apologize because that certainly wasn't my intent. There are many bow hunters who are new to the sport that consult this site for information. The sole reasoning behind my response was to ensure that an archer new to the sport didn't connect with an animal and make any assumptions about that animal's recovery.

Again here's the advice I often give to tjose new to the sport:

The absolute best way to ensure a full recovery, is to fully recover your animal. If I were to wound an animal, and I believed that it was going to fully recover, I would still pursue that animal in an effort to complete my original goal of harvesting that particular animal.

Obviously, as in ELKREAPERS situation, it is not always possible. Due to unit boundarys, private lands, season endings or some other factors there might be times when a hunter must go his seperate way and hope for the best. If faced with that situation I hope you've done your best so you can feel as good as possible about the situation. I also urge anyone who experiences such an event to do everything possible to maximize what they learn from that particular situation as no two are alike.

On a complete side-note:

I believe that in my home state of New Mexico, more animals are wounded by bullets than by arrows. I don't have any evidence to substantiate my claim, just my personal opinion.

10-Aug-09
I have a customer who is actually my nieghbor as well. He shoots a 31.5" draw 70# Ovation and put a Magnus Stinger 4-blade through the scapula on the near side of his elk(5x6), took out both lungs, and stuck 3/4's through the off scapula. He has the Stinger stuck in the scapula as part of the taxidermy mount display. It looks like a paper tuning hole.

10-Aug-09
Two years ago on a January Mule Deer hunt my hunting partner shot a beautiful buck right in the side of the head. The buck fell dead in it's tracks. I couldn't see the shot take place, but my hunting partner said that because of all his bulky clothing (it was -13 degrees) the string hit his arm and caused him to completely botch the shot. This particular guy is one of the best shots I know, but it can happen to anybody.

The lesson here: always make it a point to have at least one practice session wearing the greatest amount of gear you might have on while hunting.

10-Aug-09
I have been "coaching" my daughter to aim for the "angle" on antelope where the white makes the corner. Hopefully in a week or two I'll get one in front of her to see how it pans out.

I have hit two big herd bulls in the scapula. Only got about 2" of penetration on the biggest one with a 72# set-up shooting a 4-blade 1" Muzzy Broadhead. I did not recover my arrow but it did not stay in the bull. That is a shot (18 yards broadside) I wish I could have to do over again- I think I was just a bit excited having such a slam dunk shot on a big bull like that.

The very next morning I shot a cow sitting in the blind with my dad and literally due to being worried about the Scapula thing again, I shot her mid body back about 14" behind the crease.

I believe that a decent liver shot like that is almost just as fast and definately as lethal as a heart shot. For some reason the liver with a blow through shot has always done elk in for me.

Obviously hitting the shoulder blade has not....

11-Aug-09
A liver shot has a chance of hitting either the portal vein or the inferior vena cava (or the hepatic veins, or the hepatic artery at that). Either one is going to produce massive bleeding and very, very quick death. But you can also hit the liver more peripherally and miss these huge blood vessels and be in for a long tracking job.

11-Aug-09
As so many have already said, this is a great thread. Shot placement, however is only 1/3 of the battle. The 2nd 3rd: After you decide where you should hit, you must be able to execute the shot accurately, often in the most difficult of field situations. The whole package: you must be a skilled and patient tracker so that whether you watch the animal expire or have to track it for 12 hours, you have the confidence and ability to recover your trophy.

Someone should start some kind of tracking thread. The tracking game on the home page of this site is pretty cool. I feel like effective tracking is becoming a lost art.

It's always best when things work out and the tracking job is a breeze, but be prepared for the alternative.

11-Aug-09
I,m sure that some will disagree,but most of the people I know that are really good trackers can't shoot worth a damn and spend a bunch of time on the ground looking for wounded animals. I,m not saying all good trackers can't shoot but if you have had most or all of your animals die within 150 yards of the shot and that is all the tracking you have done then how much experience are you going to have.

I would agree with the point about tracking is something overlooked more and more all the time. It takes patience, common sense and a bunch of luck never hurts either. The most committed will always win on hard tracking job.

11-Aug-09
No problem Woody. I agree of course that the lung vasculature is similarly diffuse peripherally as in the liver, and that more anterior shots in the chest are better.

The situation in the lungs is a little bit different than the liver, though, because I am not sure that animals shot in the lungs always die by hemorrhage. Some proportion of them (maybe a good proportion) must die of pneumothorax. And the creation of a pneumothorax could occur anywhere in the chest as long as the broadhead entered the pleural cavity.

Indeed, I believe the reason the American bison was so well suited to archery hunting by the natives is because it only had one pleural cavity, so it was very easy to induce a pneumothorax in these animals.

Interesting to think about the anatomy of these shots.

11-Aug-09
I'm going to have to research this "buffalo have one pleural cavity" meme ... I can't see how that would work from a developmental point of view.

Can any one cite some authority on the subject?

11-Aug-09

Mike Turner's embedded Photo
Mike Turner's embedded Photo
Last year I spent a great deal of time reading the "shot placement" thread. I changed my way of thinking, which was double long to a tighter shot in chest as recommended by BB. This buck was killed at 8 yards, that's why the shot looks so high. It drove down thru the top of his heart and out the brisket. Watched him die in less than 30 seconds. I made the same shot on an antelope with the same results. The shot works, period!

11-Aug-09
Re: bison single plural cavity, I'm pretty sure it's an odd but well-known fact about the animal. It's one of very few mammals for which this is true.

We'll never know, of course, but I still have a hunch that plenty of deer die by pneumothorax, or tension pneumothorax.

11-Aug-09
Re: bison single plural cavity, I'm pretty sure it's an odd but well-known fact about the animal. It's one of very few mammals for which this is true.

We'll never know, of course, but I still have a hunch that plenty of deer die by pneumothorax, or tension pneumothorax.

16-Aug-09

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
This is why you DO NOT shoot behind the shoulder/crease on a brodside shot!

I shot this buck (with a shotgun slug) at 60 yards. I thought I was aiming at the perfect spot. I hit the buck right where I was aiming. The buck ran off. I waited 20 minutes and went to go look. No blood around, so I started follwing the tracks. Some specks of blood 30 yards.

At 50 yards I JUMPED the BUCK out of his bed! He was still alive 20 minutes later after "the perfect shot". That is when I put the 2nd shot in him and he expired in seconds.

LOW BEHIND the CREASE IS A HORRIBLE SHOT. LISTEN TO BB and go Straight up the LEG!!!!

16-Aug-09

Gerald Martin's embedded Photo
Gerald Martin's embedded Photo
Thirty yards. I'm on a hill about 15 feet above this bull. That's where I would have shot him.

I'm in full agreement about shooting up the front leg, but due to the body angle I want the arrow to exit just in front of the off leg.

22-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Early yesterday morning I was hiking up to hunt one of my treestand. I usually get there long before light, but yesterday I at least an hour late and as I neared my treestand it was good shooting light. By hunting ponds for many years I fully understood I had to be very careful as I neared my stand, as there could be elk at the water. When I got within 30 yards of the water I noticed a spike bull standing quartering towards me. The last 100 yards I used a feeding technique to try to fool an elk if there happened to be one there. It worked perfectly and allowed me to get so close. I haven't shot a spike elk in many years, and I passed three different spikes already this year, but the way this guy was standing offered me a perfect opportunity to not only fill my tag, but to show those of you who shoot the crease or just behind the crease, a chance to see how devastating a broadhead can be when shot just over the top of the heart. I hesitated for a moment, trying to decide if I really wanted to end my Utah elk hunt with a spike. But after the evening before when I had a cow offer a most perfect educational shot, the thought was still on my mind. I knew if I could put my arrow right next to the back of the > (v), I could most likely watch the animal go down. He allowed me to nock my arrow, to draw and release.

He blew up the hill into some very thick vegetation and within about three seconds I could see a small tree come falling my way and at the same time could the crash of the bull when he fell. He made it about 30 yards and lived about 3 seconds------not uncommon at all for this type of a hit.

I walked up the hill, to the fallen bull and took this photo.

22-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's one with the flash from a little different angle. Notice how far forward the snuffer entered the elk.

22-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's one more from the side that give a better idea of where the arrow really hit. I moved the spike to better show what I am trying to explain.

22-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's the same photo. I have circled where my broadhead entered the elk. I have drawn a black line up the front for the front leg, a white line up the middle for the front leg, and purple line up what most hunters refer to as the crease.

You can plainly see how far forward my arrow entered the animal, and yet it was just behind the scapula and just above the joint at the bottom of the scapula.

Remember the animal was quartering towards me, so I had to adjust my aiming point accordingly so my arrow would go over the heart, but it shows how far forward on can go in that area.

Had I aimed for the crease or even up the white line, I would have been too far back for that shot.

22-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
In this photo I have drawn in yellow the scapula and joint below it to show where my arrow entered the bull. Had I shot the crease of this shot my chance of losing the bull would be high.

In no way am I advoacting shooting that far forward on a broadside animal, but one should try to imagine the path of his arrow and try to place it so it travels over the top of the heart on a shot like this and good things will happen.

Anyway I chalk this bull up for educational purposes and of course for good eating. He is all cut up and in the freezer.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

22-Aug-09
Great shooting BB and congrats! As far as I am concerned, ANY elk with a bow is a trophy! Well done and enjoy the delicious meat! I am headed out in 1 week, wish me luck. JB

23-Aug-09

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Gerald thanks for posting the photo of the quartering away bull just prior to my spike photos.

Your photo and the way my spike was quartering to me are both good examples of how one must change their aiming point in order to insure the arrow passes through the vital area we are trying to hit.

In the photo you posted it shows that hitting the crease of even behind it is a perfect shot since the animal is quartering away. Had I hit the crease or behind it on my spike (which was quartering to me) I most likely would not have retrieved the animal. It certainly would not have gone down as fast as it did.

The same adjustments we make on quartering animals must also be made on steep up hill or downhill or treestand shots. If you are above a critter shooting down, then you have to hit higher than you would if you were on ground level with the critter. If you are below a critter on a steep uphill shot then your arrow needs to hit him lower than you would on a level shot.

We must always try to imagine the path of our arrow's flight and aim accordingly so its path will take it to the proper destination.

Here's the photo of the cow that came in the night before I shot the spike. If one were to shoot this cow or have an elk standing in a similar position, here would be the proper aiming point. Notice how far forward it is compared to where many of us were taught.

If one were to hit the cow where I placed the dot, I think you would see her go down before she cleared the small opening. I can not emphasize enough the killing power of hits straight above the front leg or even above the front of the front leg. They are FAR superior to those hits at or near the crease.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

23-Aug-09
I think you make some great points on the frontal shot. The only issue I can bring up is you never can be sure how the deer will react. Last year I took that shot on a mature Doe, as I released the arrow she dropped her head to eat and I hit her right in the side of the snout. I felt really bad that I made a bad shot and hurt this deer but she shook out the arrow and did not appear to be hurt too bad. In the future I will not take this shot. I will either wait for a better angle or let the deer walk.

Tom

23-Aug-09
"In no way am I advoacting shooting that far forward on a broadside animal..."

That statement bears repeating.

24-Aug-09
In no way am I advocating shooting that far froward on a broadside animal. Okay, I repeated it!

Here's another statement that needs repeating.

On broadside shots most guys need to learn to aim 3 or 4 inches in front of the crease on deer and 6 or 7 on elk!

Not only does that need repeating, but we need to get all hunters to understand the very basics of broadside shooting. Once they get a grip on that then they have the bases to make good decesions on quartering to and quartering away shots.

" The only issue I can bring up is you never can be sure how the deer will react"-------That statement is true not only for the frontal shot, but also for any shot in bowhunting. That's why it is so important to shoot up front, as most times the animal will move down and forward and if you are shooting the crease your chances of a gut shot are much greater than if you shoot up the middle of the front leg, or up the front leg itself.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

24-Aug-09
Aiming 3 or 4 inches in front of the crease on a broadside elk is a much better choice.

24-Aug-09
Tim I would prefer 6 on an elk over 4, but would be tickled to death if those shooting the crease on a broadside shot would move forward 4".

Best wishes on a great fall and may you all have a great bowhunt. BB

25-Aug-09
That's funny, BB!

Fair enough. Too many critters get hit too far back. I agree aiming forward of the crease is the way to go.

They're buglin' out there right now!

• Sitka Gear