Matt 27-Nov-09
Lips@home 28-Nov-09
denny 28-Nov-09
Lips@home 20-Apr-10
Lonearcher 24-Apr-10
Hardcorehunter 24-Apr-10
GIVEEM3 26-Apr-10
05-Aug-09
Finally, I got my Longbow and let me just say, "any questions I had about this or that, I was wrong." The pack is pretty much perfect. If you think it is too heavy; don't buy it, no place for a hydration system; don't buy it, too many straps, don't buy it; wrong color, don't buy it, cost too much money, PLEASE Don't buy it. You don't deserve it because there are way to many reasons to question such a great product. I did questioned it, but after many month of research and talking to Mark, I knew that this was a pack I needed. I want everyone who likes to feel pain while packing into Gods country to feel the pain I have with sub-standard backpacks. That might sound wrong to some, but there is nothing worse than someone putting down a great product because of something stupid like, "where will I put my water bottle." Don't buy one and just know this, I love the thought of you suffering because you found just one reason not to beleave all the great reviews that Mystery Ranch Packs get on this site. Now off to my review.

05-Aug-09

Lips@home's embedded Photo
Here it is with Predator camo.

05-Aug-09

Here it is with Predator camo.

05-Aug-09

One change I did do is silence the zippers. They were way to loud to stalk up on Mr. buck. I used some electrical tape, and wrapped it around the zippers. Worked perfectly. See next two photos. Sorry for the double post, and my god I need to stick to the lose some weight threads. Look at that gut.

05-Aug-09

05-Aug-09

Now for how I packet it. Top Pocket includes: water filter, first aid, head lamp, spoon, kill kit, and bandana.

05-Aug-09
Better yet... clip the zipper pulls with a set of wire clippers and rethread only the cord through the zipper slider... saves some extra weight and you're deadly silent!....

It's tons easier for us to build with the zipper pulls on... plus it's actually cheaper to buy the zippers themselves with the pulls on.... go figure?!

Thanks for the kind words, put your pack to the test this fall!

Mark

05-Aug-09

Look at the inside of the main pack,

05-Aug-09
your up lat Mark, Thanks for the tracking number I cant tell you how much I LOVE your product. More to come. Was well worth the wait. I have never had a pack FIT me like this one. That is why I say don't spend the money to the cry babies.

05-Aug-09

Every thing in the pockets is next. Ditty bag, Rain jacket and meat bag, Hammock (yes a hammock is the best thing I have found this year), cook kit (more on this to come) and rope.

05-Aug-09

Now for the main pack from bottom up: sleeping bag, pad, tarp/emerg. shelter, and food pack. Hydration pack goes on top.

05-Aug-09

Next three photos is my cook system. It is a beer can for the pot with a stove that is as small as a golf ball and all packed into a zip lock cup. The fuel is called HEET that you can find at Chevron or any autopart store. One oz will boil two cups of water in under 4 minutes. Go to www.minibull.com for the best in this type of stove. Why carry a whole canister of fuel and heavey pot when you only need 6 meal?

05-Aug-09

05-Aug-09

05-Aug-09
Thanks Mark for the tip. Your right with clipping the tab of the zipper. Now, I might just have to pack a few pieces of gum because of the weight I saved. I still can not believe how well this pack HUGS your body. My whole pack came in at 20.4# (not including water) and did not even feel like I had a pack on. Tomorrow I will take it out into the field and shoot some arrows with it on. Buy the way, those who question if you can shot with this pack or make a stalk, PLEASE don't even bring that up this pack is slim and snug.

05-Aug-09
Sorry, but I am totally shocked and amazed that you would get a pack that doesn't match your outfit. Just because it holds everything you need with comfort that surpasses anything you could imagine. Fits you like an old pair of jeans and looks cool too. Well that is know reason to throw fashion out the window. The Shame!!! No really, glad you like it.

05-Aug-09
He can make a cover to go over it for matching camo...

I am saving up for a Longbow right now. Sold my Eberlestock last night. I was AMAZED at how much more comfortable my NICE frame was carring a load. I wish I had just tried a Mystery Ranch years ago. The cost and not being in any retail outlet for hands on had kept me away. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

05-Aug-09
How are you planning to carry meat in that pack? Looks like you would have to unload everything and use the center compartment for meat.

05-Aug-09
Man looks nice.Ive been a devout Eberlestock guy. I have the Just One entire system. Glenn Eberle is a great guy and hard to leave. My Just One has been an awesome pack, BUT this MR looks great too. Just dont have the $$ to throw out there on a switch which may give me just a little better pack. If I was starting from scratch this would be an awesome pack.

05-Aug-09
20.4# with all that equipment and the pack or is that just the weight of what you put in the pack?

05-Aug-09
How many days is that packed for? Also, I don't see a spotting scope or tripod, extra layers, rain pants, range finder, camera, just to name a few things that seem to be missing. Maybe you don't use any of those things but they are pretty essential for me and all the guys I have ever hunted with.

05-Aug-09
what is important to you, may not be to others and vice versa. If you like the pack great, give us the scoop. Not sure what all the other bs is about......By the way, anyone who doesn't question a $400-$700 pack with out seeing it, is nuts.

05-Aug-09
I don't own any MR packs, so lacking first-hand knowledge. However, I did call and speak to someone (Mark?) about their packs. My understanding is that the pack is shipped with a 100% money-refunded guarantee that the buyer will be happy...or it gets returned. All the other stuff aside, what's the real risk here?

Maybe it's time to harness up and head to the top.

Kevin

05-Aug-09
400 to 700? It ought to pack the elk out for me. If you don't have it (the cash) you don't have it. Or maybe someone has forgotten the financial condition of a lot of people right now that has mostly been brought on by the "I don't care what it costs....I'll just charge it" syndrome.

I'm sure they are great packs, but I dont' care who likes it, if you've got x # of pounds on your pack, your body is carrying the load. Considering there are essentially 3 points of contact (two shoulders and waist) those 3 points bear the load in some fashion/distribution and from there the load is distributed to your two feet which is then supported by the ground. Maybe that distribution can be made more comfortable by pack design, but your carrying the weight no matter how you look at it. Unless you can come up with some voodoo math, 50 lbs on my back equates to 25 lbs on each of my feet.

If it makes you feel better to tell eveyone how stupid they are to justify your expenditures, go right ahead. But.....I don't like anyone trying to cram anything down my throat.......I don't care how darn good it is.

05-Aug-09
Hobbes, yes, all of that sounds great in theory, but ill pay what i pay for the stuff that makes me a better hunter. whether it is from being more comfortable to less exhausted or whatever else. when im comfortable i can hunt harder.

so with your outlook on the packs, does that mean you wear sneakers with athletic tape to support your ankles or are boots a different story? :)

05-Aug-09
"I'm sure they are great packs, but I dont' care who likes it, if you've got x # of pounds on your pack, your body is carrying the load. Considering there are essentially 3 points of contact (two shoulders and waist) those 3 points bear the load in some fashion/distribution and from there the load is distributed to your two feet which is then supported by the ground. Maybe that distribution can be made more comfortable by pack design, but your carrying the weight no matter how you look at it. Unless you can come up with some voodoo math, 50 lbs on my back equates to 25 lbs on each of my feet."

Finally another guy that realizes it doesn't matter how comfortable the pack is its still your legs and feet that are doing all the work.

I feel sorry for anybody that would buy a 2200 cubic inch pack that weighs over 6 pounds.

I would make MR pay me to wear a pack that heavy, not the other way around. lol

05-Aug-09
Lips, I know what you mean regarding the comfort.

My Crew Cab handles weight much better than my BL 2800. Very comfortable. I'm packing a total of 40# when the wife and I do our evening 4 mile walks.

Your gut isn't too bad. Mine is a lot bigger and it really doesn't want to go away.

05-Aug-09
No, MR packs are something I've looked at recently, but currently do not have the means to make that kind of expenditure on something to replace a pack that I've not had issues with.

My biggest beef is the arrogance of the post suggesting that anyone that doesn't spend the money is stupid. In fact if the orignal poster intended his post to be a commercial for MR packs, the arrogance does more to turn me off.

Tell me how much you like a product, tell me about the great features, give me an honest report, but don't tell me I'm stupid for making the financial decision to not spend the money or I'm somehow going to kill more elk because I've purchased the pack.

To be quite honest, I've had about all I can stand of advertising/marketing in the hunting industry. Insisting that some product is a must for me to kill this or that is a sure way to keep me from buying a product.

05-Aug-09
i feel your pain bro, i had to pinch pennies for a bit to get my 6500 then my longbow. i still have my perfectly good osprey argon 110 that has 1 season on it. a light one at that. the army interferes with my hunting wayyyy too much... i do understand what youre saying tho, i was just twistin your nips a wee bit and i was having a nic fit. its ok tho, tho copenhagen cured that one! ;)

05-Aug-09
In four weeks I won't care what anyone has to say on any forum.............Bring on Elk season.

05-Aug-09
IMO folks who don't account for how a pack carries a load are missing the boat. It isn't as simple as 50 lbs. = 50 lbs and you have 2 shoulders and one waist, so one pack is as good as another. How the pack distributes load across the pelvis, how the frame transfers load from the shoulder to hips, and how the pack controls the load are all important considerations. More expensive packs tend to do these things better. That isn't to say that you cannot adequately pack out an elk with a less expensive pack, just that you can carry more weight in load with more comfort with perhaps less pack weight with some of the higher end packs.

"I feel sorry for anybody that would buy a 2200 cubic inch pack that weighs over 6 pounds."

He probably feels sorry for folks who think that is what he did. ;-) Such simplistic analysis belies the flexdibility, expandability, and weight carrying capacity of the pack in question.

05-Aug-09
meleagris1, the meat will go into my meat back and put between the frame and pack. See earlier Longbow thread. GBTG, that was the entire weight. I jumped on the scale with pack, then took it off (boy I need to lose 15 lbs). Braden, the range finder, camera, backup flashlight, GPS, snack food, and wind bottle are in the side pockets. I don't have the spotting scope and tripod or rain pants and extra layers for this hunt. It will be a California Mule/blacktail next week. It was 110+ here for the last week, will not need to layer. Les the BS was me being a smart a$$. I have been reading about different pack for many month before I bought this one. All the stuff you read about weight, color, cost (yes it does matter), is there a pocket for this or that, gets a little crazy. If you are looking for a pack, I would highly recommend getting to one of the show that MR goes to and try one on. They really are comfortable and the quality of whole pack is amazing.

05-Aug-09
Guys I was just being a smart a$$. I'm not cramming anything down anyones throat, but I would share my beer with you. I get the money thing. I'm just lucky because I don't buy a lot of stuff and have no credit cards. I do subscribe to buy the best you can afford instead of buying sub-quality over and over. I'm not cramming that down your throat either. That is what I do, not what you have to do.

05-Aug-09
"To be quite honest, I've had about all I can stand of advertising/marketing in the hunting industry. Insisting that some product is a must for me to kill this or that is a sure way to keep me from buying a product."

Hobbes~

Hopefully that's not the message you're getting from us at Mystery Ranch. There are lots of great animals harvested and MILLIONS of successful hunts from AMAZING hunters who've worn blue jeans and entire blaze suits while hunting within reach of a 4x4 truck!

Our products just help make the process much more comfortable.... We're trying to reach folks based on improving the EXPERIENCE.... not so much the outcome. If you never harvest an animal with one of our packs on... you should still have been comfortable during the process!

Best.

Mark Seacat

05-Aug-09
oops... forgot to add this to my last post...

DO BUY A MYSTERY RANCH PACK.... YOU DO DESERVE IT!

Mark

05-Aug-09
No, that isnt' what I've seen from MR. That was more of a general statement that reflects my recent frustration with some of the unbelievable products I see promoted and some of the individuals that are apparently promoting them not because they are good, but because they signed on to some contract.

And..........most of my rantings are directly related to my lack of time afield bowhunting. Almost like the frutration you can see in a buck or bull while waiting on the rut. LOL

05-Aug-09
Hobbes~

I hear you!!! People that write reviews and posts about Mystery Ranch packs aren't paid at all... they're all just regular hunters who believe in our products.

I agree with your statements about folks promoting products not because they are good... but because they're getting side checks... mostly I see it in the Television side of things... they don't support the products they really want to use... they support the products that have given $$$ to make the show possible.

Mark

05-Aug-09

tthomas's embedded Photo
tthomas's embedded Photo
MR packs suck, lol. I'm not very heavy but this load is. I think these packs might be a little over kill for most but a heavy load sure feels lighter with a good pack. I also had to pack out a sheep and camp and then found a skull and horns of a winter kill. Didn't hesitate to strap them on top as well. They might cost more than most packs but IMHO they are worth it. Would like them to be a little lighter but am sure some of their comfort is as a result of the extra stitches, buckles and harness system.

Like Mikey says "try it you'll like it"

05-Aug-09
"IMO folks who don't account for how a pack carries a load are missing the boat. It isn't as simple as 50 lbs. = 50 lbs and you have 2 shoulders and one waist, so one pack is as good as another. How the pack distributes load across the pelvis, how the frame transfers load from the shoulder to hips, and how the pack controls the load are all important considerations. More expensive packs tend to do these things better. That isn't to say that you cannot adequately pack out an elk with a less expensive pack, just that you can carry more weight in load with more comfort with perhaps less pack weight with some of the higher end packs.

"I feel sorry for anybody that would buy a 2200 cubic inch pack that weighs over 6 pounds."

He probably feels sorry for folks who think that is what he did. ;-) Such simplistic analysis belies the flexdibility, expandability, and weight carrying capacity of the pack in question."

I packed a weighed load of 140 pounds slightly less then ten miles. When I finally got to the trailhead yea my shoulders were hurting and so were my hips a little, but my feet and legs are what was really hurting. I have carried so many 100+ pound loads I can't even count them all and its always my feet that hurt. Any company could make a pack as comfortable as a MR if it weighed 6+lbs for a 2200 cubic inch pack. LMAO. I have seen a ton of guys that like MR and just as many that like Kifaru. I just think its funny MR has to build there packs 3-4 pounds heavier to achieve the same comfort level Kifaru achieves.

05-Aug-09
"I just think its funny MR has to build there packs 3-4 pounds heavier to achieve the same comfort level Kifaru achieves." Branden, I am personally a Kifaru guy with the old-style longhunter being my go-to pack. While I generally agree on the MR-weight front, I think the longbow could do much of what my LH does for me, and the the packs weigh just about the same (6 3/4#, and the new LH is heavier at 7 1/4#). The big difference IMO is when you pack up the longow with a critter, the load expands "back" as youm mput the critter between the bag and frame. With the Kifaru, the load expands "up/down". While I think a big load carries better up/down, the NICE frame packs makes for a much more functional daypack and many folks will take that trade-off.

05-Aug-09
Matt~

The load can expand either way with a longbow...

Branden~

Please give some examples of the Kifaru packs you're comparing against ours... one quick question... have you had the opportunity to use one of our packs or compared them head to head with the kifaru pack that you say is 3-4 pounds lighter with the same amount of weight?

Mark

05-Aug-09
Change in subject.

For Elk I would ditch the hammock and add bivy. Different sleeping bag (this one is 20 deg 3#) for 15 deg and aroung 2# that would also take up less room. New tarp for sure (sylnylone with less bulk) The extra clothes and rain gear put into a compression sack. Add tripod and spotting scope. Pad would probably be foam and strapped to outside. The MH meals are pretty bulky and take up valuable space, so would change to something simpler with more protein. Water filter also bulky, so drops or Iodine with Emergen C. The new Slim cell for the expainsion sounds great, so I'll gladly give more money to MR and add a flip top box at same time of order.

Any other suggestions?

05-Aug-09
Branden

You are one of only a few that can carry 140 pounds close to 10 miles. I would bet that less than one in ten bowsiters could do half that in mountain terrain. I think guys as tough as you could use the old Trappers Nelson with ease so your comments while perfectly accurate might not apply to the "average" hunter.

I would consider myself slightly below average in size, older than the average hunter and in about average shape. Not sure where you are packing all those 100 pound loads but the average guy can't do that, plain and simple. I suspect you already know that.

Maybe a 250 pounder can handle it easily but then that person is above the average. I do agree that the average Joe is fine with an average pack for average loads. Buying a pack that is 2 - 3 pounds lighter that won't stand up to heavy loads for a long time might be fine for most.

I cut off all the back pack straps on the top pack and some of the handles and a few inches off the other cinch straps and waist straps and I almost got a pound off mine.

I wish you live close by, it would be a pleasure to have a friend who could pack like you do.

05-Aug-09
tthomas, thats an amazing pic! That guy is huuuge!

05-Aug-09
thetthomas@home~ I take it you must be tthomas with the picture posted above?? If so it looks like you could trim a few more straps, they are almost hitting the ground. Then you could cut that pound.

05-Aug-09
GRimes I hear you and thought the same, but those straps come in handy if you are packing a tent of something large to strap on the bottom part of the pack. They are way to long for anything I have found a use for though.

05-Aug-09
Lips@home

Looks like a very nice pack but in the pics it appears the shoulder straps are snug on your shoulders. From my experience this would put a lot of weight on top of the shoulders. I have a BL pack and one reason I like it is because I can pull the top straps which raises the shoulder straps off the shoulder. Very comfortable.

06-Aug-09
So if there is no water bladder pocket, you have to keep the zipper open enough for the tube? Seems like poor planning to me and too much extra motion to retrieve a bottle, if that is the case.

06-Aug-09
I'll have to admit this subject is quite an interesting one. Heavy loads and heavy packs equals one destroyed old man :)

Ultra light pack and say 50 lbs per trip sounds much more appealing to me. I don't want a pack that can carry 100 lbs as I might never move again after trying to carry it a mile. As the Toby Keith song goes, "I'm as good once as I ever was", but the second trip will not happen no matter what pack I carry if it has that much weight in it.

To be honest I think you guys are all crazy to think you can carry that much weight ever, much less more than one time. I have a buddy who's 65 or so and a train wreck from carrying out critters and 50 lbs blocks of salt all over hey and back. It just aint worth it no matter how you slice the bread.

I've used Dana packs since 1981 when I lived in Bozeman and know how great the quality is. The issue still lies in the fact that 7 or 8 lbs packs are a complete waste if you only have 50 or 60 lbs in them. Anything more than that and you're an idiot with a tweaked back over the long haul.

Cheers, Pete

06-Aug-09
"So if there is no water bladder pocket, you have to keep the zipper open enough for the tube?"

You could do that, but you would be better off running the drinking tube for your bladder through the openings in the pack designed specifically for that purpose.

"Anything more than that and you're an idiot with a tweaked back over the long haul."

Maybe you'd be an idiot to own a pack that would put that high of a % of weight on your shoulders/back? Like I said above, good pack designs can facilitate carrying heavier loads with less fatigue and chance of injury by putting the load where it should be. I don't carry huge loads (80# or so is about the max I like to carry), but it is very doable without injury with the right equipment and conditioning.

06-Aug-09

Made a few changes tonight. Cut just two of the zipper clips off because they were the only ones making the noise, and changed out my sleeping pad with a z lite foam pad and put it between pack and frame. Saved about a foot ball of space in main frame and didn't change any way the pack feels. That is the great thing about this pack.

Don't feel sorry for me Branden for it only being 2200 cubic inches, because this pack will adapt to what ever you need it to do by expanding out and being able comfortably carrier more weight. That is why I bought it.

Also, switch out my rain jacket for a Sierra Designs. Total Pack weight now at 19.2#. After I shot my the bow with the pack on, took off the left pocket. Didn't change much so I put it back on and took everything out of pocket and moved contents to top of bag pocket and duct taped the pocket down tight. I didn't like the way my bow hit the pocket as I walked and don't mind the duct tape on it because I always have some on some where for mulitple uses.

Only had it for two days now and changing this and that but love a great product that has no limits. Can't wait to get it bloody and fill my tag, so I can take it to the car wash.

06-Aug-09

Z lite next to the frame and saved 1 #.

06-Aug-09
Evidently, dogs are not big fans of Mystery Ranch. With the garage door open tonight, packing for an Alaska trip, a dog snuck into the garage and pissed on my Crew Cab!!!!!!! Or does that mean it is canine approved?

Since I use the Crew cab as a carry-on, I wonder if the other passengers will be offended?

06-Aug-09
DS

Be careful with it on carryon. I haven't had a problem but on my last trip they said they wanted to weigh it. It was 22 pounds with cameras, spotting scope and three books. Just took a book out and put on the jacket and it was fine. If it looks too bulky the may complain. It fits in all the overhead bins though, just make sure you check in and board early.

06-Aug-09
that be the seal of approval, Dink.

06-Aug-09
c3

IMHE an ultralite pack won't carry 50 lbs comfortably. I have a 3.5 lbs Gregory pack and the comfort tops out at around 40 lbs. Beyond that the supsension and padding bottom out and break down.

The utility of the MR NICE frame and LB for me is you have a pack with reasonable weight (6.5 lbs) that will carry my base weight (30 to 40 lbs) very comfortably, can be used as day pack to hunt in or bivy with, and yet can be expanded to carry a monster (90 lbs) load if I get an animal down.

06-Aug-09
These are great packs which are multi-purpose. They can be a day pack and can carry heavy loads if need be.

The weight issue is an interesting one considering what these packs do. MR can and does make lighter packs but they don't have the hauling comfort of the Nice frame.

I checked some other highly thought of companies packs and this is what I found:

Badlands 2200 4.1 lbs -- Badlands 2800 4 lbs 15 oz

Blacks creek Western (2000 ci) 4 lbs 15 oz Blacks creek Canadian ( 2200 ci) 6 lbs 8 oz !!

Eberlestock Dragonfly- 8.5 lbs

Eberlestock just one 6 lbs 14 oz

Eberlestock X2 ( 1800 ci) 4 lbs 8 oz

Eberlestock Blue Widow 7 lbs

Kifaru Spike camp 4 lbs 2 oz

And the Kifaru big packs are a lot more

There is about a 4 lb range here and it is about 2 lbs. from the lightest to what the MR Longbow weighs. Do you know what 2 lbs amounts to: it is what a Quart of H2O weighs.

Now if you have a hunting pack on and some one puts in a quart of water in your pack after you have your pack full- what are you going to do, say "whoa, now you are killing me with that quart of H2O, plese take it out or I can not carry this pack any further".

The point is it is not very much when the weight is built into the frame and materials of the pack to make it ride more comfortable and also be able to haul heavy loads if need be. So there are lots of choices out there, so buy what you like, fits you and for your needs. The pack that is a little heavier may just be the ticket for you. Don't worry about a minor 2 lbs for the pack if it is what works for you-especially if you can tromp around with 140 lbs all day :^)

06-Aug-09
"And the Kifaru big packs are a lot more"

Late Season = 3200 cui 4.8 lbs Siwash = 4200 cui 5.4 lbs Long Hunter = 5200 cui 7.4 lbs

MR CC and Nice Frame = 1900 cui 7.12 lbs MR Grizzly = 6000 cui 8.15 lbs

That is not alot more? The G2 is a bit heavier due to they beefed up the lumbar and suspension, but they carry the weight on your hips and not shoulders. They do not hype their products as much as others, but anyone who has their stuff is usually happy to do it for them. I am not going to get dressed in my camo for internet pictures though! Glad you enjoy your pack, looking forward to seeing it with some game in it.

06-Aug-09
Two pounds isn't much unless your talking about sleeping bags and tents and then getting rid of it costs hundreds of dollars.

I think maybe the point the guys who focus on the MR packs weight are making is that usually in outdoor gear you pay a premium for lightweight high performance, the hunting market is a different animal and they've done a great job with their sponsorships on these forums.

When I'm packing a heavy load I could care less what the empty weight of the pack is but for the scouting/hunting portion of the trip I'm pretty serious about lightweight high performance gear.

As I've mentioned on other threads, I have a long history and many miles of heavy loads using Dana's packs and there's no doubt he knows how to build a heavy hauler. I still have a hard time believing the factory guys "or any regular users" use setups for heavy loads that don't have an attachment point higher than the pics show the CC and Longbow have, if his other heavy haulers were built like that I wouldn't have used one and outside the hunting market I doubt anyone else would either.

06-Aug-09

Seacat's embedded Photo
Seacat's embedded Photo
Denny~

The key with these NICE Frame packs is getting the load tight to your hips and packing your load as close to the frame as possible.... I've carried loads exceeding 150 pounds in a Crew Cab.... and you better believe I was spent once I reached the truck!!!! Seeing is believing when it comes to those loads... so here's a photo.

There's a reason why these NICE Frames are so good... every single pack comes standard with 30+ years of experience from all of Dana's previous products. He's evolving the game.

For those who absolutely need a "higher attachment point" you can either buy a NICE 6500 or you can look forward to a design we're working on right now that incorporates a taller frame... the taller frame will be designed to accept ALL previously designed NICE Frame packs.

Mark

06-Aug-09
Have you ever played with a design incorporating extendable stays to raise the attachment point of rht lifter straps? Probably more work than it would be worth, but it would provide the best of both worlds.

06-Aug-09
I'm looking forward to your new frame I suspect I'll cave in and try one based on what I've heard so far. I suspect a large part of the reason the Nice frame is the way it is would be the military market and for that purpose the low shoulder profile and hell for tough heavy construction make perfect sense.

In reference to Matt's question it seems like a small short carbon bayonet that plugs would be light and strong and could be designed to stay attached when not plugged in. For myself if it's the right design and weight I'll gladly pay the price that comes with domestic production and hand assembly.

06-Aug-09
Another way to look at it, if you carry 90 pounds the a 7 pound pack is about 7.7 percent of the load and 4 pound pack is 4.4 percent of the load....either way largely insignificant. The time spent without the heavy load is nice to accommodate, but is not my focus given the extra strain of the heavier loads.

07-Aug-09
I think people forget the MR CC is an expandable pack. You can't compare it to a 2000 ci pack that handles 30 pounds. It is a 5000 ci pack. It has it's uses and if you aren't planning on putting some real weight then buy a lighter pack rated for comfortably carrying less weight. I look at it as a very comfortable external frame pack that already has a bag attached. If you take an external frame and add a pack, you get real close to 7 pounds. As for the longbow, I think it is a great idea and great pack. I would like to have one, but I don't want to spend that much money on another pack right now. I probably would buy one in a second if it had an area for the meat like the CC. I see that you can remove it and make an area, but would rather it is already set up like that. Also, I carry way more crap than Lips when I bivy (about 3500-4000 ci). I like to enjoy the camping as much as the hunting. But sure looks like a great pack.

10-Aug-09
Thanks for the review on this pack but I wish from this time on, all MR pack reviews be banned from this site because it's killing me!!! I'll have to tough this season out with what I have, maybe next year I can run a MR.

I never did hear if it was possible or not to use another brand of pack with the NICE frame.

10-Aug-09
Lost, You can use a military surplus ALICE bag with the NICE frame.

-JB

12-Aug-09
Thanks Josh. I'm playing around with the idea of picking up a NICE frame and then "harvesting" a larger internal frame pack I have already and seeing if I can attach it to the frame. Just to get by until I can either pick up a LB or a CC.

12-Aug-09
I am no expert but i do do alot of backpacking some hunting some not. I also do other out door sports like climbing, ice climbing, bikeing, running and alot of other things. To me wieght is overrated on alot of things. Some areas you can trim weight with out performance problems but in others i look at weight as a side issue. When hunting i carry alot of things that i need to produce when the time comes. To me the MR NICE frame carries weight better than anything i have ever tried. Two things i wont budge on for weight is my bow and my pack. Other things i may try to cut weight but for my pack and bow what ever works the best is what goes regardless of what they weigh. I love my crew cab.

18-Nov-09
I started this thread and probably would have given it another title, but I still stick to my point after using the MR product this hunting season. I was hoping to have some photos of my long bow with meat in the expanded way of the pack, but not this year. I will say this, " I love this product and can not tell you how great it feels on you back." I wish I could have had meat to carry, but the whole time I carry this pack (longbow) it preformed like a smaller pack with the ability to meet the need if needed. Thank you Mark and MR for a great product.

19-Nov-09
I'd love to buy a MR but can't justify it.

Those bastards made such a good product that I still haven't worn out my Terraplane after 17 years of use and abuse and 1000's of miles. I have never put a pack on my back that is as comfortable as that damn Dana Design that just won't wear out or break. It's ugly as hell with all the blood stains from packing so much meat but man it carries a load well.

19-Nov-09
In my opinion most are comparing apples to oranges. These packs that are smaller such as the Crewcab, Longbow, Lateseason, etc. are great for their intended purpose. Such as a smaller pack to use as a day pack, small trips, and a pack to get the first load out. They do that great. But when trying to compare them to a true hvy hauler over long distances it doesn't make much sense. To me a hauler has to be able to get the weight OFF the shoulders, PERIOD end of story. If it can't then it is just a compromise. To do this the loadlifters have to be able to do their intended purpose, lift the load off the shoulders and pull the load snug to the back. If you don't take this into account then I have to believe you haven't hauled many hvy loads or are just a pure brute of a man, and then ANY pack will work. We keep trying to prove one over the other, when in reality the packs mentioned here are excellent packs. Just use them the way they were meant to be used.

Good Luck!!! Be Blessed!!! Allen

27-Nov-09
Allen, load lifters do not lift the load off your shoulders. In order to do that they would have to be attatched to your hat. They pull the load into your back. MR does this with the nice frame. Go to 24 hour campfire,Alaska outdoors or previous posts here and look at the loads some guys are hauling. IT WORKS! I have Longbow and it hauls almost as well as my Dana short bed.

27-Nov-09
Phil, I will have to respectfully disagree with you. Yes, the LL's will pull the load into the back but at the same time with the angle being up above the shoulders this in turn DOES lift the load off the shoulders. Thus the name Load lifter strap's. Yes, there are many hauling hvy loads with the NICE frame and if you get the ones that have the loadlifters attached where they need to be, which is up above the shoulders they will work. The people hauling those loads. Go look at their packs and look at how the weight is pulling down off their shoulders( the CrewCab). This is not the best design out there. I have had the NICE w/ Crewcab and got rid of it for this flaw. You can do what ever you desire. I have had lengthy talks w/ MR about this and they do know. I will say the people with a shorter torso do seem to get by better, but still it is a flaw in a pack that is designed to haul hvy loads, long distances. Again, you can do what ever floats your boat. Do a search over on 24 hr and you will see this discussed. If you want to do one better, go over to Dan McHales site and look at the Bypass system. This so far is the best design out there, that's why it is patented.

Have a nice day!!!! Allen

27-Nov-09
TXT is correct IMO. Load lifters shift where the weight is carried by pulling it off the top of the shoulders forward to the attachment point over the clavicle. I canot explain the physics, but it does very much seem to help shift the weight of the load to the hips. I tried on the CrewCab on in SLC earlier this year and the short frame height did not allow the load lifters to work as well as on a taller pack.

Having said that, it depends on what you want a pack for. The CC is more versatile and is a better carry-alot and pack-a little than some of the taller packs. Many times I have wished my Kifaru LH did not stick up as far over the top of my shoulders as it does when used in day pack-mode. But I do prefer a pack with a taller frame for packing for the reasons mentioned above. It's all about trade-offs.

28-Nov-09
Glad to see my thread is still alive. My hunts are over but I still use my MR monthly it seams. The pack is so an all around pack. Form day hikes to visiting my bro with his new twins as an over weekend pack, to just today carring a chainsaw in to cut down the Christmas tree. I love my MR and until you own one you will not know what you are missing.

28-Nov-09

20-Apr-10
Hi all, I have learned a lot about this pack and still love it. Sorry about the title on this one, but when I bought it there was a lot of hate toward MR product. This pack is not only great for hunting, but I use it all the time for field work or for travel with the family. I am looking to add some additional load cells this year and the camera case for my new love the FZ-35 (thanks BB).

24-Apr-10
Lips,

I thought MR was suppose to come out with a new load cell for the longbow pack this year. I bought the longbow pack last year and plan on using it this year on DIY and have been playing around figuring out different ways to pack it and would like the new load cell myself.

Rob

24-Apr-10
Thanks for the review

26-Apr-10
I bought one of these packs this spring and have been playing around with how to pack it. Someone should start a thread to show the different ways to pack the longbow for bivy hunting.

• Sitka Gear