Bowsite.com on Facebook
  • Deerbuilder Food Plot Website
  • Trail Cam Photos
  • Bowsite.com Elk Section
  • Mathews Solocam
Summit Treestands Mathews Solocam Carbon Express Arrows Moultrie Game Cameras Sitka Gear LaCrosee Footwear 3RiversArchery
Whitetail Deer Section Elk Section Black, Brown, & Polar Bear Section Moose Section Mule Deer Section Sheep Section Bowfishing Section Mountain Goat Section Pronghorn Section Mountain Lion Section Wild Turkey Section Caribou Section Hogs & Exotics Section Small Game Forum Africa Section Food Plots on DeerBuilder.com Bowhunting / Archery Equipment

red or green filter for deer hunting?

PRINTABLE VERSION

EMAIL TO A FRIEND

Messages posted to thread:
nh bowhunter 12-Aug-09
nh bowhunter 12-Aug-09
smokey 12-Aug-09
cope30tyee 12-Aug-09
Knife2sharp 12-Aug-09
Zbone 12-Aug-09
Kodi 13-Aug-09
Redneck 13-Aug-09
Bernie P. 13-Aug-09
SANDMAN 13-Aug-09
Estesparkhunter 13-Aug-09
Preacher Man 13-Aug-09
Videos
Put Your Video Clip Here!

I'm buying a new LED headlamp that comes with different colored filters. I've read that both the red and green filters don't spook deer like the unfiltered white light. Any opinions about this one way or another?

Just to be clear, I'm not "hunting" with the light, only get to and from my stand.

I would not worry about it too much. The sound and scent are something to consider. I use a standard flashlight when going to and from stand in the dark and just think about scent and attempt to be quiet.

I am also interested in this subject. I believe I heard on tv that deer don't see red very well, but I have no personal experience.

Went back to white LED. White lights are relatively common at night and if a deer is close enough to spook from your light, then it has likely heard you already. I've encountered deer in fields under the moonlight without using a flashlight and I'll still see deer return to the field by sunup. They don't seem to get as spooked by humans at night.

Have messed around with light beams and animals through the years (both wild and domestic) and honestly think, it’s not the color of the lens or beam, but the intensity of the light beam.

A red laser will absolutely drive a Jack Russell Terrier crazy. 6-pack and Jack is some of the cheapest entertainment a man can find…8^) Yet, a low light beam like of that of a flashlight with dying batteries they don’t seem to be able to see, or a least take notice.

I know that is not scientific evidence, but is from a lot of personal experimentation.

I heard Blue is the way to go. No personal expierence my self just a freind of mine mentioned it to me. Check it out.

The Blue light if used will reflect off your trail marking flags (orange red) and appear black Very Hard to See for this out last year. Don't use blue if using marking flags.

No matter how careful I always spooked them while trying to get to my stand in the dark with or without artificial light.These days I just wait until I can see well enough to shoot.

Blue light is the absolute worst for stealth (other than white) Red is by far the best. Green is made to be seen by other hunters, but deer can see it too. Red is the hardest wavelength for deer to see.

Back in the late 70's early 80's my grandpaw used to love to go out at night and "look" at the deer in his fields. With a normal spotlight theyd freeze then take off when he spotlighted them. He had a red spotlight also and the deer would hang around in the red light plenty long enough to "look" at them. I was about 4 years old at the time but I can remember seeing some big deer under those lights.

IMHO a low intensity red light tends to spook fewer animals than anything else I've tried.

I know human eyes are much different from a deers eyes(rods and cones and such)but at night I can see green better than red. Specifically, the point at which the light passes thru the filter. I catch myself covering the end of the flash light with my hand and pointing it at the ground right in front of my boots.

Reply to Thread

Subject: RE: red or green filter for deer hunting?

You are not registered - please click here to register now.

Copyright © 1996-2013 Bowsite.com
No duplication without expressed written consent of the author and Bowsite.com.

Privacy and Registration Policy