hunterdrake 05-Oct-09
jims 05-Oct-09
JayG 06-Oct-09
dihardhunter 06-Oct-09
Rock 06-Oct-09
24-Aug-09

Paul @ the Fort's embedded Photo
Here is a fairly typical horn configuration for a buck pronghorn.

24-Aug-09

But what about pictures of non typical horns like this one I took on a recent hunting trip to western Colorado. Thanks, Paul

24-Aug-09

another angle

24-Aug-09
I've seen a few like that here in Wyo. I'm keeping my eyes on a really big one for a rifle hunting friend. It has prongs growing out the back of the horns along with the normal front prongs. Really a cool looking buck.

24-Aug-09

WindLaker's embedded Photo
WindLaker's embedded Photo
Here's mine form last year...rifle, NOT bow.

WindLaker

25-Aug-09
it ethier was hurt when it was young and caused that or......something or someone castrated it....if you do that it will effect that horn growth a bunch..dont ask me why but i know it does.....

25-Aug-09
My buddy shot one a number of years ago that looked close to the same in the picture. His measured from base to tips 21" in lenght but did not make the B&C book. He has it life size mounted and it is beautiful.

25-Aug-09
I was hunting one a couple years ago that looked alot like that, but he had failed to shed his sheath from the year previous, so one horn looked to be 20+ inches, cool lookin goat. I also shot one with a 20 inch spread 14in horns that went straight instead of hooking. Looking for a 'normal' one now!

25-Aug-09
Wapitik, 21" from Base to tip, We need photo's.

25-Aug-09
Yeah, we need pics of that bad boy

25-Aug-09
There's a place in WY. Wish I could remember where, that has hundreds of horns, some of them pretty wild. I once tried to get a couple of clients to shoot a buck near Rawlins that had horns going down so close to the face that from the side you could just see a bit of light. It was only about 12 inches and they just couldn't see it for their first.

25-Aug-09
Usually the bucks might not lose their sheaths right away when they lose them. this may cause their other horns to grow downward. As in some cases the horns will get stuck on the end. I shot a unique one with my rifle a few years ago to.

05-Oct-09

hunterdrake's embedded Photo
hunterdrake's embedded Photo
Here is one I got with a rifle this year. 19 inches wide

05-Oct-09
I have a feeling the freako horn configurations on many antelope are often a genetic trait rather than injury deal. I have shot a couple nontypical antelope over the years and the bone inside the horn is curved rather than straight. The skull and bone inside the horn is pretty much normal but it is curved. I hunted a RFW in NW Colorado a few years ago and saw around 5 freako bucks on the same ranch. I have a feeling it was genetic in that particular area?

I am sure there are antelope bucks that injure their horns at the skull/horns when they are growing or balls...and have wild horn formation the following years.

I have several deer and elk nontypicals I've picked up and filmed over the years that likely the contrary was true. The pedestals on several of the skulls were obviously damaged and produced whacko growth. I've also seen a few other muley and elk that remained in velvet all year round..they may have had injured balls?

Those freako antelope sure look cool!

06-Oct-09
I saw one out in Wy this year, they called him "the Helicopter". His horms came straight out to the side. He was one of the fence hoppers. He could go through a fence at a dead run. I guess having no horns over the top of his head gave him more clearance.

I also saw one that looking at it broadside, it looked like a whitetail, the horns came out of it's head and swept forward. Pretty cool.

Jay

06-Oct-09

dihardhunter's Link
Rifle kill in 2006 Wyoming, Unit 23.

Thought he was a doe until we got a head-on look, then it was hammerdown. 297 yards.

21 1/2" outside spread.

06-Oct-09
I shot one in Colorado a few years ago that has 3 horns

• Sitka Gear