COkid 11-Sep-09
Hogs45 11-Sep-09
TreednNC 11-Sep-09
shedhead 14-Sep-09
Jimbob 15-Sep-09
gil_wy 15-Sep-09
bowhunter43 15-Sep-09
10-Sep-09
Hey guys, first time poster here. My name is Justin and I am from NC, ok now that I have that out of the way...

I have been searching and reading and searching and reading and still haven't found what I am looking for. Looking for a decent pack, and I say decent, not high end like MR or Kifaru and the like because as a soon to be once a year NR DIY hunter, I just can't justify the $600+ right now. Looking for something that will do a 5+days in the back country. Have heard anything from the Badlands 4500 (I know some have their issues), Sitka 4500 (have heard it is mostly pockets and small main compartment, not sure if that is a pro or con) and some of the Eberlestock packs. Not to discredit Eberlestock, b/c they seem to be a standup company, I have read a lot of complaints about the suspension and the weight riding on your shoulders. I have NOT however read this, or much of anything on the blue widow. Is it in fact the same? I can't try any of these first hand (no dealers around), and have to mail order. Eberlestock seems to have a lot of features im looking for as well as price. What can you guys tell me about the Blue Widow or any of the other packs mentioned.

Thanks. Justin

10-Sep-09
I'm guiding a guy this weekend using a Blue widow... I'll let you know how it goes!

10-Sep-09
Justin, I just bought one and love it! It has everything I need! Ill hopefuly let you know about the suspension this coming fall. I have hiked with up to 80 pounds of weights in the pack with no problem!

10-Sep-09
My son has one. No complaints from him as of yet. It is a large pack even in the small configuration. He used it to pack out two bulls last year, somewhere around 80#s loaded as well.

11-Sep-09
Got one too. the key for me was getting it adjusted perfect which you can do with the adjustable stays and torso I was suprised how much I had to bend and adjust to get the perfect fit with other packs youre stuck.There is a great guy selling them at a discount in Boise where the factory is. good prices fast service and good shipping prices. He has treated me great. Steve Speck. [email protected]. he also deals in some archery.

11-Sep-09
I have one, hopefully I can give you a report in a couple weeks.

11-Sep-09
I've got one and it is one tough pack. It is also one heavy pack. I mean if you are trying to go lightweight by any means, it makes it hard because you are already starting with a pack that weighs 7 pounds. I'd bet it wouldn't break on you. I've carried 100 pound loads in it and it is a good carrying, comfortable pack... well as comfortable as it gets carrying 100 pounds ;-)

Next year, I am going to go with something half as heavy for my backcountry/bivy hunts. As for this year, it looks like I am just going to do day hunts for the rest of the season, so I will use is as a meat hauler if we get an elk or deer on the ground. I'll let you know.

-Ty

11-Sep-09
I just got back from my trip with mine. It did great. Its only 6 #s if you take the top fanny pack off. I strapped my bow to it and rode horseback 7 miles in. It did great. Used it to pack around daily during hunting too. Never expanded it out all the way and carrying a lot of weight as we had mules hauling most everything. I may be downsizing to a daypack so PM and Ill give you a good deal.

11-Sep-09
Thanks for the info guys. Hogs45 I would, but I am strapped right now.

14-Sep-09
Just got back from a 8 day wilderness hunt where I used this pack to haul 70# through 7 miles rough NW Montana wilderness country. What I like about it is that after you pack in you can compress the pack into a great day pack that lets you shoot unobstructed. Everyone I was with had small packs they brought in and I used this one for both duties. I couldn't get the bowbucket to work well with my new rezzen though. those parralel limb bows don't fit good in anything.

15-Sep-09
I have a J104 and it sucks for carrying but it is one tough pack. I hauled out a deboned calf moose last year and it weighed 122lbs, the pack never ripped squeeked or felt like it was going to fail. If the blue widow is just as tough but rides better then it should be a good pack.

15-Sep-09
I was really impressed with the blue widow... one thing I did notice was that the shoulder straps aren't nearly as padded as the J104/107... very good pack... would look very hard at one!

15-Sep-09
I have had a 4500, and a mr crew cab. I like the blue widow of the three by a large margin. I have carried heavy and light loads. Good pack and very comfortable. I did think the shoulder straps were a bit thin when I first purchased the pack. But I have hauled heavy loads with no discomfort.

• Sitka Gear