kellyharris 15-Nov-09
kellyharris 15-Nov-09
Preacherman 16-Nov-09
DEADON 16-Nov-09
BR Stinger 16-Nov-09
Zbone 25-Nov-09
bloodtrail 25-Nov-09
29-Sep-09
Just finished reading "Kanas Rut" and I guess I was somewhat suprised at the late dates. Hay Kelly and some of you other Ohio big buck shooters what dates do hold on to be tried and true from your experience. I may need to rethink my hunting schedule. I always shoot to be down there at different time periods those first two to three weeks of november.

29-Sep-09
Veteran's Day "ALWAY" falls during peak rut in Ohio, or anywhere along the I70 corridor. 30+ years of taking notes, trust me.

29-Sep-09
1st two weeks of November will get you there which exact dates depends on how many does you have on the property your hunting... If I had to get it down to just a few I would go with the 6th thru the 15th...

Now the last week of October is a great pre-rut they will be sniffing (not running) all over the place. They will be working the heck out of the thermals and the 3/4 up trails and ridge tops are an easy pick... JMO

Also I blind call like a madman during the last week of October and for the first week of November. I took my dink last year on November 3rd at 4:17. two days later I grunted in my cousins buck at 4:17 both by cold called and making Snort wheezez...

Hope this helps??

30-Sep-09
the rut in ohio takes place in the first two weeks of august for all non-residents. please plan accordingly.

30-Sep-09
Fisher is correct the best place to hunt is the urban hunt in Cincinnati around the over-the-rhine area. Also Toledo area is a good area for those hunting in October, November

30-Sep-09
nov 4-7 has always been my best 4 days year after year for me and between 1100-300pm

30-Sep-09
Ahhhhh let me see here. Hay Fisher bow season doesn't start till September 26. Now if my 6th grade education serves me well August is before September....hay Fisher you were just pulling my leg, you almost had me fooled there for a minute. I bet you have a different opinion for residents huh.

01-Oct-09
bloodtrail - just funnin' with you bud.

it is rumored that you may wush to be in a tree nov 2-9 for the best action. this also applies to non-residents with a good sense of humor...

don't forget what kelly said about the urban zones. high numbers and high quality. good access too.

best wishes, fisher

01-Oct-09
Nov. 10 is always on my calander. This year, 11/6-11/21 for me.

01-Oct-09
Hay Fisher if you can't poke a little fun, it's no fun. I've been in Ohio since 55' and I'll be 60 in March, been hunting since about 12 and started bowhunting in the early 70's. I've been hunting the Jackson area for about 25 years and the last 5 on a 125 acre farm down there. Last year everything seemed off kelter on the farm I've been hunting and when I read the Kansas Rut thread it got me wondering. I just wanted to throw that out there and see what kind of dates everyone else comes up with. If I had the oppertunity I'd be in the woods everyday from late October till gun season, but being down there off and on for the first 3 weeks in November has always been good. We're on 10 hour days 6 days a week and I'd like to hit as close to the peak as I can get this year with my limited window.

01-Oct-09
bloodtrail -

glad you have sense of humor. i absolutely love hunting the rut and watching the show. i hope you have fun. my time is very limited too because i work and take care of my wife who is an invalid.

here is what i see every year. searching begins in late october. chasing begins around november 2 through 12. on about nov. 13 the bucks are locked down with does, especially the larger bucks. they stay locked down with does until about the 20th or 21st when they begin trolling and searching for remaining does.

then the process repeats again for december. again on about dec. 13th there is another lock down.

i would suggest the best days are from about nov. 2 through 10. the window from nov. 13-20 is very quiet.

i take the same days off every year and see the same patterns.

i could write out much more detail based upon years of observations, but am too tired from very long hours at work.

best wishes, fisher

02-Oct-09
I schedualed my vacation for Oct 30th thru Nov 15th..

02-Oct-09
Last year NOV 10 was the day to be there.

02-Oct-09
I shot my dink last year on Nov 4th the rut wasnt even in yet My cousin shot his on the 7th they still were not running just started the scratch and sniff thing as I like to call it... I believe it hit last year between the 11th and 16th hard myself???

Like Ive said in other post I am commited with the 1st until the 14th coming back to work for 2 days and hitting the weekend again...

I have read that the pro-photagraphers who spend more time in the woods than any hunter (well 99% more than most hunters) say it is always an 8 year cycle give or take 1 solid day...

SO does anyone have the rut periods for Ohio back in 2001???

02-Oct-09
I think it varies a bit from location to location depending on buck/doe ratio. Nov. 6 or 7 is my day of the most buck movement year after year. Last year the first week of Nov. was hot so I delayed my start date, big mistake. I got down in Pike Co. on the 7th, thought it was useless, 75 degree day. No deer movement all day long. Last 30 minutes of daylight, the woods explode with buck movement. Saw eight different bucks and heard two monsters clashing in the distance. Learned my lesson, if the calendar says Nov., be in the woods.

02-Oct-09
I am self employed and the last several years I have put myself on night shift from Oct28-Nov10.I have a good funnel area on my property that looks like Interstate 75 after this two week period. Mostly younger bucks chasing does fun to watch.The big boys come out to play the second week of November in my part of the state.

02-Oct-09

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Have spent the first 3 weeks of November off work to hunt practically daily for the past eleven years (took a break one year though) but many years before that, and been taking notes for over 30 years (and will again this year) and the dates are the same year after year regardless of the weather, lunar phase, or region of this state, and as said above - "Veteran's Day "ALWAY" falls during peak rut in Ohio" Veteran's Day falls yearly on is November 11th.

Ask the Ohio deer farmers...

tradtech and others have said the 10th, and I totally agree. That is why it is easy to remember it by Veteran’s Day. The four or five days of 24 hour movement will happen either side of the 11th depending on the year, but as said, the 11th is always peak.

I'll also concur with fisher that is seems to slow down after the 13th. Now, that's not to say it's over, cause it is ain’t - later does will be bred right up to and through dodging slugs during gun season the week after Thanksgiving.

The attached photo of this big guy was taken on Nov 29 2003, (Saturday before gun season) while he was guarding his hot doe and running off two smaller bucks. I have video of him actually copulating with the doe later that day.

02-Oct-09

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Veteran’s Day, November 11, 2003. This guy guarding his honey from 2 smaller bucks not pictured out in the middle of the open.

02-Oct-09

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
Another guy guarding his girl on November 16, 2003.

Were no other bucks bothering this couple at the time. I killed this buck later in January the last week of bowseason at the time.

02-Oct-09
I have a video frame I saved on JPEG file of actual copulation with a big 8-point on November 4th, one year, but I can’t find it. I’ll see if I can’t did it up sometime.

BTW – These are all wild bucks filmed while hunting, nothing captive.

If I had only 7 days to hunt yearly, it’d be from November 5th through the 11th.

If only 3 days to hunt yearly, it’d be from November 9th through the 11th.

And if only 1 day to hunt yearly, it’d be Veteran’s Day.

02-Oct-09
have taken 26 bucks over the years nov 8th thru 11th veterans day seems to be special for me. Godd luck to this november for all those of you taking vaction time.

02-Oct-09
fingers dont work good on key board not 26 it was suppose to be 16,,,,sorry for the error

02-Oct-09
The 7th to the 10th!

03-Oct-09
The smartest guy I know was always out all day on the 7th, his "favorite, best" day. I try to take off 2 weeks. This year I'm off the 4th to the 18th and plan to get "burnt out" if I haven't tagged out. Having said that, the biggest deer I saw last year (150-160 class typical 10 with a huge body) was the day before Thanksgiving, trolling in the early afternoon. I didn't feel comfortable with a 52 yard shot, so he lived at least until gun season (and none of my neighbors got him or I would have heard about it)...

03-Oct-09
nov 10th!!!!!!! hunted there for 12 years

03-Oct-09
How's the 16th to the 27th. I am skipping the michigan gun season to hunt public land in Ohio.

06-Oct-09

06-Oct-09
Hay everyone thanks for sharing I know most all of you guys have put in long hours and keeping journals so thank for all your gathered info.

06-Oct-09
Thanx for letting the whole world know "exactly" where a big buck exists...

Geeze, will never be able to figure people out...

06-Oct-09
PLEASE don't disclose locations of deer. there may be a guy who has been working on that buck for a couple years.

Loose lips sink ships!

06-Oct-09
bloodtrail-- maybe you should go in and edit your post a little bit???

07-Oct-09
I'll take those on the chin and they were well deserved, just wasn't thinking. It's too late and after the fact,but sorry.

07-Oct-09

07-Oct-09

09-Oct-09

KellyHarris@work's embedded Photo
KellyHarris@work's embedded Photo
check out this Ohio Beauty

09-Oct-09
What a beauty Kelly is he a friend of yours and is he this years? Any way thanks for sharing.

15-Nov-09
Now that the week of Veterans Day is over, did the above recommendations hold true?

15-Nov-09
I was tagged and done hunting Ohio... but from what I saw and also from my friends' kills and observations..., a little before and after Vets day... it was on. I did see a big 10 scoping out some feeding does in a hay field last night around 5...... but Im hearing lots of reports of lockdown now. Anytime in November your stand could be hot and then the next 5 days.. NOT! Right place right time.

15-Nov-09
I was on the farm I've hunted the last 5 years in Jackson Co., the 7,8 9 and 10th and was the best I've seen. Encountered my first P & Y on the 7th walking right at me then stopping at 28 yards and spooking with no chance for shot. Shot a big doe on the 8th while the cousin of the owner arrowed a brute 10 that same day while following a doe. Saw a small 4 with nose to the ground on the 9th within range but not what I was looking for. The 10th had a big doe come in to 10 yards of me being followed by a large bodied deer which I didn't get to see because of being busted due to shifting thermals at 6:45 AM. Then at 9 that morning watched a doe being run all over the powerline by a shootable buck that never got closer than 100 yards. The big boy I saw on the 7th was not the big 10 that was shot on the 8th, 2 different bucks which had not been seen on the property before, they were definately on the prowl looking for love on the farm we hunt. Wanted to go back for 4 more days this past weekend but had to put my mom in the hospital and couldn't leave. I feel the window of rut oppertunity is quickly closing and I'll have to hunt the post and late season if I want antlers.

15-Nov-09
okjust got home from 2 weeks of Ohio hunting... last wednesday until this past friday... on thursday i saw 12 bucks chasing doe's within 2.5hrs....... then it fell off the planet

15-Nov-09

16-Nov-09
I hunted all last week. I always take the second full week of November and hunt the entire week and have taken my best bucks during this time. But I did not see the rutting activity this year that I normally do. Saw quite a few does but very few had a buck with them. The temp was warmer than I like and most of the activity was Thursday and Friday (12th and 13th)the coldest two days of the week.

I would always stick with the week of the 10th but something is different this year, at least in the area I hunt (Fairfield county)

Tom

16-Nov-09
Spent the week of 6th-12th had several small buck walking around with noses to the ground. Shaved the hair off a the belly of a big 12 point. Funny thing was in 11 hunts 1 mature doe all yearling & button bucks.

16-Nov-09
AR34 - You should be in good shape w/ the 16th thru 27th. Bucks should be breaking loose again to find the does that haven't been bred. In fact, I think next year I might take the last two weeks of Nov off. Cooler weather and most of the corn is off by then. I usually like that second week but it was a bust this year.

25-Nov-09
4runner4me -"Now that the week of Veterans Day is over, did the above recommendations hold true?"

Yeah...

Just returning from 3+ weeks of hard hunting vacation and to summarize – seen bucks every hunted day and probably seen dozens (although most small). Late the first week of November the rut seemed to explode and peaked around the 10 – 12th, and then taper off after that. They were moving all day long the 2nd, 5th, and 6th, but due to obligations, was unable to hunt the 3rd and 4th, but suspect they were moving all day long those days also. Same dates as previous years.

Here's a quote from another Bowsiter from over on the Ohio forum:

"

I hunted all day the 20th, 21st, 22nd and 23rd and it was extremely slow. Saw one small buck on 3 days and 2 small bucks the 4th. All of the sightings may have been the same buck. I experienced pretty much the same thing as Zbone. Great action starting on 10/31, peaking about the 10th and then dropping off to almost nothing.

"

25-Nov-09
First trip to the farm in Jackson Co., 7th,8th,9th and 10th. Got in the tree a little late on the 7th just after daylight. Just, I mean just got settled in 7:15 7:30ish, twig snap and I eased around tree to see my largest hunting situation buck (P&Y class) heading right at me 35yd out and closing fast. At 28yds he stopped looked up at me and did not like what he saw, while he was quartering away at 40yds came to full draw but too many saplings and too fast for a shot option....what a heartbreaker. He was definately crusing and had not been seen on the farm.

At 8:15 on the 8th took a big doe and nothing following. At 9:00 that morning cousin arrowed a big 10 that was following a doe, which was not my buck. Neither one of these bucks had been seen on the farm.

Early morning the 9th had a small 4 point with nose to the ground pass underneath me but not what I was looking for. Saw total of 12 deer these first 3 days.

Just breaking day on the 10th a doe came in under me at 10 yards being followed by a large bodied deer 25yds behind but couldn't make out head, still too much in the trees and just breaking day but got busted by thermals which were changing every 5 mins. Never did see his head but I would have bet money on horns. Then 3 hrs later watched a nice buck chase does from one side of the powerline to the other, never got close. It was a great 3 and a half days.

That was last day on the farm but thought I'd get the next 3 weekends in with 2 more days on one of those weekends but unforeseen variables kept me up north. My buddy who hunts the next county over said the next weekend things were really heated up they came back with a nice 10 and an 8.

• Sitka Gear